Author Topic: Without TRO3050 what goes where?  (Read 1863 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Without TRO3050 what goes where?
« on: 04 February 2020, 17:35:11 »
Throwing out all the fluff of who made what in source material, AND throwing out the TRO3050 Omnis leaving us with just the pool of L2 Omnis- What would you assign to the original 4 Invading Clans?  What about when it expands to the 7 at Tukayyid? Note- not every Omni has to be assigned, be sure to throw some out for the Homies!

Possible Omnis-
Lights
Arctic Cheetah
Cougar
Fire Falcon
Hellion

Mediums
Arctic Wolf II
Balius
Battle Cobra
Black Lanner
Coyotl
Crimson Langur
Huntsman
Mongrel
Phantom
Pouncer
Shadow Cat
Stooping Hawk

Heavy
Crossbow
Cauldron Born
Flamberge
Linebacker
Lupus
Mad Dog Mk III
Night Gyr
Nova Cat (might need a name change)

Assault
Blood Asp (minus Heavy Lasers)
Kingfisher
Naga
Savage Coyote (minus ATMs)
Tomahawk
Turkina (Might have to change the name)
Woodsman

So . . . what should each Clan have had reflecting their nature?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
Re: Without TRO3050 what goes where?
« Reply #1 on: 15 February 2020, 11:44:24 »
The Cauldron Born would be used by every invading Clan. It has better armor then the Hellbringer, but has the same insane configuration style that the Hellbie lovingly brings to the table.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #2 on: 21 February 2020, 22:39:29 »
The Balius is a heavy.

I honestly don't see an of the original 4 making serious use of it.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Rookerie

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 21 February 2020, 22:44:35 »
Do people regularly play with the non-core Clan omnimechs?  Since omnimechs are not limited to mech specific load outs, do people find a strategic use for other mechs or is it fluff-related personal preference that drives the choice? 

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #4 on: 21 February 2020, 23:51:24 »
I think that overall it's more common to stick with canon configurations rather than custom designs.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 21 February 2020, 23:54:48 »
Especially prior to Heavy Metal and other software, when it was far easier to pick a configuration without having to work out BV by hand.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #6 on: 24 February 2020, 13:12:07 »
Do people regularly play with the non-core Clan omnimechs?  Since omnimechs are not limited to mech specific load outs, do people find a strategic use for other mechs or is it fluff-related personal preference that drives the choice?

This-
I think that overall it's more common to stick with canon configurations rather than custom designs.

And b/c some tables are canon only . . . I go with that for pick up & TT, since it keeps things easier.  For campaign customization is OK, but I do it through MM so its simple with that format.  One of the old MegaMek servers . . . ugh, 15 years ago? . . . we worked out a config alternate option, basically we traded AC types around.  So the Timber Wolf C with a UAC/5?  You could get a Timber Wolf C Alt, it had a LB-5X instead.  Fun one was the Mad Dog C, Guass Rifles were replaced by 1 UAC/20 and 1 LB-20X . . . brought back the old Hunchback Hate.

For me its certain things . . .

The Wolves would not use mechs with fixed JJs and tend to be faster.
The Falcons WOULD use mechs with fixed JJs.
Jags favor firepower on the triangle- especially BFGs.
Bears . . . size, some speed, and firepower at the expense of armor.

So as a example for the Falcons are simple for some since IMO they would keep 3 iconics b/c the JJ
Cougar (still, its the fixed JJs)
Night Gyr
Turkina
Pouncer (fixed JJ)
Mongrel

Jaguars
Arctic Cheetah
Shadow Cat
Cauldron Born
Flamberge
Tomahawk

Ghost Bear
Fire Falcon (name change?)
Coyotl
Mad Dog MK III
Nova Cat
Blood Asp

Wolf
Hellion
Phantom
Crimson Langur (name change)
Lupus
Linebacker
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #7 on: 25 February 2020, 22:39:51 »
For me its certain things . . .

The Wolves would not use mechs with fixed JJs and tend to be faster.
The Falcons WOULD use mechs with fixed JJs.
Jags favor firepower on the triangle- especially BFGs.
Bears . . . size, some speed, and firepower at the expense of armor.

For me its others...

Wolf designs embody flexibility and efficiency. The Timber Wolf is a great example.
The Falcons like jump jets and mobility.
The Bears....take things to extremes. Their light Mechs are fast. Their jumpers have a lot of jump MP. Pick an aspect and max it out.
The Jags are more balanced in their designs, but are more hidebound with the Mech choices.
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 25 February 2020, 22:44:58 »
The Jaguars aren't really balanced, they go for heavy firepower in everything.  Sometimes they go for something that's relatively fast, and sometimes for mechs that are slow, but they always go for mechs that have a lot of pod space (the Koshi was the one exception to this).

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
« Reply #9 on: 25 February 2020, 22:48:54 »
The Jaguars aren't really balanced, they go for heavy firepower in everything.  Sometimes they go for something that's relatively fast, and sometimes for mechs that are slow, but they always go for mechs that have a lot of pod space (the Koshi was the one exception to this).

They make heavy use of the Koshi, Hankyu and Stormcrow. Their designs don't go to the extremes favoured by the Bears, don't have the efficiency and flexibility of  Wolf designs and often lack the jump based mobility seen on many Falcon units.

"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie