Author Topic: Chicagoland July Battletech Game (WWE Event)  (Read 1331 times)

GreyWolfActual

• CDT Global Events Developer
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
Chicagoland July Battletech Game (WWE Event)
« on: 07 July 2018, 11:07:27 »
In case anyone did not see it in the scheduled WWE thread:

NW Chicagoland Battletech Event
Date: Sunday, 22 July 2018
Time: 10AM
101 W. Prospect Ave.
Mt. Prospect, IL 60056

NW Chicagoland Alpha Strike Event
Date: Saturday, 18 August 2017
Time: 10AM
101 W. Prospect Ave.
Mt. Prospect, IL 60056

I want to be rolling dice as soon as the 11:15 train comes by for anyone who takes that. That means if you can show up early to get acquainted with the scenario and units please do so. As usual I will have all the minis, brand new mapsheets, record sheets, dice, pencils, and scenario sheets that you need to participate in the event. All you need to bring is yourself.

Also, as a headsup, I will be running a tight game. We will have a lot of people there I'm sure so I will want to keep the game under 40 minutes a turn. That's doable for us but its going to require a certain level of discipline and attentiveness. I'm not going to be running hour long turns. Additionally, there will not be a break for lunch so please bring something with you or make arrangements to pass your units off if you must go out.
"My name is Saul Tigh. I'm an officer in the Colonial Fleet. Whatever else I am, whatever else it means, that's the man I want to be. And if I die today, that's the man I'll be."
-Saul Tigh

slothagent

• Private
Re: Chicagoland July Battletech Game (WWE Event)
« Reply #1 on: 09 July 2018, 07:40:21 »
I'll be there for July 22, thanks for organizing!

Hideyori

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 10 July 2018, 08:48:36 »
Unfortunately I cannot make that weekend.   Everyone have a good time and I will see you in August.

Hoover28

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 20 July 2018, 15:09:13 »
It looks like the stars are aligning for a road trip from Minnesota.  Will reply tomorrow night one way or another.  Hope to see everyone there!

TheBlueRaja

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: 21 July 2018, 08:26:27 »
I'm really looking forward to this event tomorrow. See you all there!

righteous

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: 21 July 2018, 11:46:55 »
I am going to try to make it to this one - haven't been to one of these in a long time.

Hoover28

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 21 July 2018, 20:39:13 »
Somehow things all seemed to work out so I will see you all tomorrow!

Hoover28

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 26 July 2018, 13:08:56 »
Many thanks to GWA for hosting and for all his effort writing and recordkeeping these WW events.  I was very happy to have made it to the game and it was great to see everyone.  I know I won't make it for the August game but depending on when September's throwdown is I may make the trek.  Weather shouldn't be too bad yet and the con season should be winding down.

On to the After Action Report!
Setup and early moves
Scenario was Green Ghosts raiding a FWL archeological site post Jihad.  The Ghost forces numbered 13 units, a clan assault omnimech star (2 Daishis A+S, Kingfisher, Masakari A, and, Hunchback IIc), a heavy lance of mechs (Battlemaster -1G, Black Knight 6, 2 Champions -1N and -1N2), and a platoon of assault armor (introtech Steurmfeur, Schrek, Patton, and Lb-X Partisan) approaching from the northwest mapsheet towards the dig site on the southesast map.  Terrain was heavily wooded and covered in rolling hills, nothing over level 2 high, a river on the southwest map and a lake on the northeast map.  The objective dig site was hidden in one of the 8 multi hex buildings and required a Ghost unit to be adjacent to a building hex in end phase to scan that hex.  Defending forces was a medium company of Marik Protectors and a platoon of Militia heavy armor.  FWL mech forces were a heavy lance (Sirocco w/ IJJ's, Orion -1M, Marauder w/ IJJ's, and a Patriot w/ HPPC, LB-20X, and some missiles), medium lance (Shadow Hawk -5M and -7M, Bloodhound -1, Vulcan -5M) and Strike lance (2 TR1 Wraith, Hermes II -5Sr and Hermes -4S) and militia armor platoon (2 LRM carriers, 1 SRM carrier, and a Hunter support tank all introtech).  FWL units were slightly improved skills compared to the Ghosts forces with some 2 and 3 gunners.  Ghosts forces were primarily regular with a couple of 3 gunners and 4 pilots.  All units had a searchlight at scenario start and battle was conducted under night conditions with a +2 modifier to all fire.

Ghost forces deployed the assault star up front and loudly leading the way trying to bully through the smaller but more nimble FWL forces so the less combat worthy units could approach unmolested to scan for the digsite.  Armor platoon backed up by the Black Knight and -1N Champion on the north east and Battlemaster, Hunchback IIc, and -1N2 Champion flanking south.  FWL forces advanced to the northwest corner of the south east mapsheet and dug in along the treeline.  First blood went to the Ghosts when the Bloodhound sallied out unsupported on the south west map and was illuminated by the Battlemaster and hit by laser fire and an AC/20 round from the Hunchback IIc.  The Bloodhound swiftly pulled back covered by the militia LRMs and Marauder outpacing the advance of the slower Ghost units.  Ghost armor advanced up the middle hiding behind a ridgeline planning to follow their assault class comrades while the Black Knight split off to the east to get a unit threatening to scan the furthest east buildings.  Assault star moved forward as fast as possible wth the Masakari playing overwatch to keep the fast FWL forces from flanking the slow but powerful clan omnis.

Turn 3,4,5

Some FWL fast units leave their cover and attempt to backstab the larger Ghost mechs and numerous spotlights get turned on as battle is joined in earnest.  The 2 Wraiths go down under massive short range fire in consecutive turns but claim the Daishi S from a rear torso breach ammo explosion and massed fire through the front from the FWL heavy battleline.  The Champion -1N is engine hit through the back and some damage is scored on the Daishi A including a 5 point head hit.  The FWL Patriot is damaged as well as an LRM carrier.

Turn 6-10

The early stalemate is broken as the FWL lighter forces are destroyed due to tremendous accuracy and shot placement from the Ghosts assault mechs.  The FWL southern flank collapses as the Marauder, damaged LRM carrier, and SRM carrier are knocked out but the 2 Champions are put into forced withdrawal.  With the Ghosts center stabilized the assault armor platoon wheels in to shoot at the entrenched FWL fire line and the FWL forces shift from the assault mechs to the easier to destroy armor.  The Ghosts Sturmfeur is immobilized, Partisan is immobilized and destroyed, and the Shrek is ripped apart in a single salvo from the Sirocco and Hermes II.  The downed Daishi's pilot is KIA'd from Ghosts Partisan fire to deny the FWL prisoners, no survivors from the armor destroyed and the fleeing -1N Champion is decapitated from the dying Marauder's final blast.  The Ghosts Black Knight flanking from the north east joins the battle finally finishing off the damaged Patriot and heads towards the eastern buildings while the Champions, Hunchback IIc, Battlemaster, and Kingfisher scan the southern and central buildings.  The southernmost building is revealed as the objective and the FWL forces pile on everything they have left to throw the ghosts back.  The FWL Vulcan attempts to DFA the Kingfisher and is crippled for its effort.

Turns 11 to end

The Ghosts Hunchback IIc jumps next to the objective building and annihilates it with an ultra ac alphastrike but shuts down. The Battlemaster is knocked unconscious from the final LRM carrier's dying barrage and the Battlemaster blows apart the Hunter finishing off the militia armor.  The Kingfisher stomps the Vulcan to death and begins to move north to finish off the handful of remaining FWL units.  The Ghosts Black Knight's long fruitless march comes to an end as the faster FWL medium mechs and Orion pummel it to scrap rather than face the Daishi A and Masakari which finish off the Sirocco before the Sirocco can eliminate the immobilized Sturmfeur.  The withdrawing Champion -1N2 is saved when the Daishi A nails the -4S Hermes and the Hermes II.

The Orion and 2 Shadow Hawks were the only survivors from the FWL force but they captured the Ghosts Black Knight pilot alive.  The Ghosts forces had lost a Daishi S, Champion -1N, Black Knight -6, Shrek, Partisan, and had to abandon the Sturmfeur and the -1N2 Champion withdrew.  The Ghosts also successfully destroyed the Archeological site resulting in a lopsided 27 to -7 score for the scenario and a decisive Green Ghosts win.  The scenario was much closer than the score would make it appear.  The Ghosts forces eliminated 4 FWL mechs with lucky cockpit crits or decapitations while the FWL worked for every kill they got except the Shrek.  The FWL advantage in gunnery skill and numbers were nullified by the terrain and clan technology as the key Ghosts star just ripped apart whatever their targets were despite the night combat mods.  The supporting Ghosts units were slow but very heavy and for the most part durable which screened the more valuable Ghosts units.  If the FWL strategy had focused on the clan star instead of the armor platoon they could have broken the Ghosts power and finished off the less skilled and much less damaging forces with impunity.  The objective building placement was as far as possible from the Ghosts advance which was a good position and it was well defended with the powerful missile units but again the interference run by the Ghosts Champions soaked up fire allowing the more valuable Kingfisher and Hunchback IIc to approach unhindered.

Again thanks to GWA for all his effort and to everybody for playing a very good game.  I had an excellent time.  Hope to catch everyone again soon!
« Last Edit: 26 July 2018, 15:00:09 by Hoover28 »

Register