Author Topic: Heroscape is coming back! (That means the tiles too!)  (Read 5941 times)

DarkSpade

• Major
Heroscape is coming back! (That means the tiles too!)
« on: 03 August 2022, 19:39:26 »
Heroscape is coming back!  Why do Battletech players care and why would I post in the terrain section?  Because that means those sweet tiles are going to be available again too!

https://twitter.com/avalonhill/status/1554874848744296449

Pics are already leaking from Gencon display cases.  They're the same tiles!

EDIT:  Got word this photo is Hasbro approved so attaching it.
« Last Edit: 03 August 2022, 19:48:33 by DarkSpade »
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Heroscape is coming back! (That means the tiles too!)
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2022, 20:13:56 »
It's weird they'd advertise it with fantasy models... hexes are more wargame adjacent...  ???

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 03 August 2022, 20:17:20 »
And what does the 3rd mini from the right carry? It looks like a vacuum cleaner with a long hose... :D
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 03 August 2022, 20:23:56 »
It's weird they'd advertise it with fantasy models... hexes are more wargame adjacent...  ???

They're advertising it with the new heroscape units.  The game is a mix of fantasy, sci-fi, and historical units.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #4 on: 04 August 2022, 03:08:41 »
Ah, that makes sense, thanks!  :thumbsup:

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #5 on: 04 August 2022, 08:27:03 »
Nice! Still have some of my old minis and hexes from by Battle for Valhalla box... somewhere. HeroScape terrain was the best, I've been looking for weeks to find it for my BT games. Those look like the OG tile molds; I wonder if the hexes will stay the same, or if they were just using some spares left in storage for the demo.

And yeah, HeroScape is basically a whole bunch of dudes from alternate universes and time periods of different genres getting thrown into one world having to fight to survive (or occasionally at the behest of some feuding deities).
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #6 on: 04 August 2022, 08:43:40 »
In my group we have enough heroscape tiles to cover a 6x4 table.  We will be buying more
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 04 August 2022, 11:09:38 »
Nice! Still have some of my old minis and hexes from by Battle for Valhalla box... somewhere. HeroScape terrain was the best, I've been looking for weeks to find it for my BT games. Those look like the OG tile molds; I wonder if the hexes will stay the same, or if they were just using some spares left in storage for the demo.

And yeah, HeroScape is basically a whole bunch of dudes from alternate universes and time periods of different genres getting thrown into one world having to fight to survive (or occasionally at the behest of some feuding deities).

Word is full backwards compatibility. Said word came from reliable source. Also, if you look closely, those water tiles are a new color.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 04 August 2022, 13:50:41 »
In my group we have enough heroscape tiles to cover a 6x4 table.  We will be buying more

Talking about tables, mine is a oval 6x4 table, but as i may be getting up to six players, i think i need to expand to 8x4 or even 8x5..  Any idea where i can get decent tables that size, for the price?
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

CVB

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 04 August 2022, 15:51:34 »
I've used an ex Snooker table with the slate bed replaced with plywood, and a three part wooden plate on top so it can be used as our dinner table in every day use. Since the playing area is lower than the frame and we used die cut counters instead of miniatures, the game could remain set up between meetings.
"Wars result when one side either misjudges its chances or wishes to commit suicide; and not even Masada began as a suicide attempt. In general, both warring parties expect to win. In the event, they are wrong more than half the time."
- David Drake

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief, but I'm not willing to hang it by the neck until it's dead, dead, dead!

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #10 on: 04 August 2022, 17:41:24 »
If we're playing on a big table it's in the LGS or at a con, not one of our houses or the pub.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #11 on: 04 August 2022, 18:22:28 »
Your group is a collection of HEROES, good sir!  :thumbsup:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #13 on: 12 October 2022, 03:09:41 »
Cool!  :thumbsup:

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #14 on: 12 October 2022, 03:24:39 »
I decided to pass on backing it, at $250 it's too much for the amount of terrain you get when my group would just be dumping everything else.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 12 October 2022, 08:22:28 »
I decided to pass on backing it, at $250 it's too much for the amount of terrain you get when my group would just be dumping everything else.

This is more about the minis and the limited edition starter.  As I understand it, there will be a normal retail starter later.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #16 on: 12 October 2022, 09:35:51 »
Yeah, I'm hoping it will, I tried asking about it during the Pulsecon livestream but got drowned out by people spamming "when's Transformers", "when's Star Wars" and "What's Heroscape" into the chat.

pokefan548

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 13 October 2022, 08:40:44 »
Ah, the minis are no longer pre-painted? I mean, I kind of get it, but it's a bit of a shame; some of the original HeroScape minis actually had some fairly pretty paint jobs, and the unique aesthetic between each army made them pretty easy to distinguish from each other. Just seems like they wanted to disguise a cut corner to me. The cards look updated as well, and admittedly I don't remember much of the moment-to-moment gameplay of HeroScape, but they look pretty simplified.

I'm with Lorcan on this one. It's tempting, but really I can't put down $250 for this. I'll save it for the regular set and some terrain packs later on down the road.
Poke's Aerospace Academy

"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 13 October 2022, 16:51:29 »
Ah, the minis are no longer pre-painted? I mean, I kind of get it, but it's a bit of a shame; some of the original HeroScape minis actually had some fairly pretty paint jobs, and the unique aesthetic between each army made them pretty easy to distinguish from each other. Just seems like they wanted to disguise a cut corner to me. The cards look updated as well, and admittedly I don't remember much of the moment-to-moment gameplay of HeroScape, but they look pretty simplified.

Prepainted minis would have raised the price so much this time around, Hasbro wouldn't have bothered to rerelease it. The guys working on it realized pretty quickly it wasn't worth pushing for. Thanks to contrast paints, it shouldn't be that hard for anyone to make them look just as good as the originals.

It's supposed to be 100% compatible with the old stuff. Terrain too.

I'm with Lorcan on this one. It's tempting, but really I can't put down $250 for this. I'll save it for the regular set and some terrain packs later on down the road.

I'm kind of on the fence myself.  While I liked the game, I never got it to the table very often.  However, there are some really nice minis, and I have gotten some secondary uses out of them.   Also, while I already do have a lot of the terrain, I don't have those new bits.  And the terrain did get a lot of use. 

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #19 on: 13 October 2022, 19:07:00 »
That's some amazing terrain right there!  8)

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 20 October 2022, 16:23:46 »
They redid the campaign page.  Feels like they should have opened with this image in the first place.

But yeah, this is really more about the minis than the terrain, but fingers crossed its successful enough we see some more terrain-centric expansions in the future.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #21 on: 20 October 2022, 17:27:54 »
Yes, they absolutely should have opened with that image!  :o

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 16 November 2022, 19:42:44 »
Well, it failed.  They've already released a statement saying the game will be shelved indefinitely.  :'(

Hopefully they find another game that can use the terrain.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #23 on: 16 November 2022, 19:49:45 »
I suspect they would have succeeded if they stuck with just the terrain...  :-\

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 17 November 2022, 00:10:24 »
I thought their numbers were oddly high for a niche Kickstarter not actually on a real crowdfunding site
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

pokefan548

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 17 November 2022, 09:06:50 »
Having more tiers that weren't an expensive special edition box probably would have helped. Would have happily thrown $50-$80 or so their way in exchange for a basic starter box and/or some terrain packs, and I'm sure a significant number of people who didn't back feel the same.
« Last Edit: 17 November 2022, 09:08:27 by pokefan548 »
Poke's Aerospace Academy

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #26 on: 17 November 2022, 09:50:49 »

They're advertising it with the new heroscape units.  The game is a mix of fantasy, sci-fi, and historical units.

Yep, the concept begind HeroScape was that a bunch of 'portals/gates' opened and dragged people/creatures/etc from across various dimensions to the game world. As a result you have Dragons, Zombies, Sci-Fi terminator-esqu robots, Cowboys, WWII Marines etc. All battling it out.

The game was fun, and even had at one time a Marvel Spin-Off.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #27 on: 17 November 2022, 14:07:27 »

The game was fun, and even had at one time a Marvel Spin-Off.

And with more planned that even had thier minis previewed at gencon once.

I suspect they would have succeeded if they stuck with just the terrain...  :-\

Actually the biggest complaint from veteran players was that they didnt need more tiles, but they did want new units.

Still, it would be nice to see the tiles as a stand alone product, but sadly, that's out of Avalon Hill's normal niche.

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #28 on: 20 November 2022, 16:46:16 »
And with more planned that even had thier minis previewed at gencon once.

Actually the biggest complaint from veteran players was that they didnt need more tiles, but they did want new units.

Still, it would be nice to see the tiles as a stand alone product, but sadly, that's out of Avalon Hill's normal niche.

If I wanted anything it would have been larger plate tiles to help set things up.  That was kind of a neat compromise when they did the M:tG version.  They provided a printed paper hex map onto which the tiles could be placed.

If I wanted anything for terrain, it would have been a wider variety of types to really make some interesting fields.

But, otherwise, yeah, more units!  I really liked how they fleshed out their version of Orcs and that wierd zombi-like alien race.  If I recall, I thought they had done a limited run of DnD figures, once, too.
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #29 on: 20 November 2022, 16:53:02 »
If I wanted anything it would have been larger plate tiles to help set things up.  That was kind of a neat compromise when they did the M:tG version.  They provided a printed paper hex map onto which the tiles could be placed.

I've actually been meaning to get a neoprene mat with a printed 1.75" hex pattern on it to use as a base for our heroscape tiles

Register