Author Topic: C3I and Aerospace units  (Read 946 times)

MechMike

• Recruit
C3I and Aerospace units
« on: 14 March 2024, 19:58:40 »
5e pp80:
"BENEFITS OF C3 NETWORKS
The members of any given C3 network function as a team, sharing targeting data that enables all members of the network to attack a selected target as if all of them are in the same range bracket as the network's closest active member with a valid LOS to it."

5e pp187: (Aerospace Ground to Air Attacks)
DETERMINE RANGE
To determine the range between a non-aerospace unit to an airborne aerospace unit, measure from the edge of the attacker’s base to the nearest point along the airborne aerospace unit’s flight path that also lies within the attacker’s forward arc, then add the aerospace unit’s altitude, 6” for Low, 12” for Middle, 30” for High, and 48” for Extreme.

Scenario:
Normally C3I range stuff is pretty simple because opposing units exist at a fixed point so there's only one range for everyone. Aerospace units cover a line.

I have unit A with C3I who is directly under the flight path of an aerospace fighter (at low altitude), so range = 6"

I have another unit B with C3I who is about 30" away from the other ground unit and offset 5" from the flight path.

Can I utilise the C3I-based range from unit A (6") for unit B's attack (i.e. +0 TN for short range)?

What range bracket attack damage do I use for unit B's attack:
1) Medium because the range (5" horizontal + 6" altitude) to the aerospace fighter iaw a standard ground to air attack
2) Long because that's the range to the fighter at the point they are closest to unit A to be in short range ~(30" to unit A  + 6" altitude)

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: C3I and Aerospace units
« Reply #1 on: 15 March 2024, 10:36:04 »
Hello MechMike,

Can I utilise the C3I-based range from unit A (6") for unit B's attack (i.e. +0 TN for short range)?
A is at short range to the aerospace fighter target.
B can use the short range modifier (+0) from A to the aerospace fighter target via the c3I network. 

What range bracket attack damage do I use for unit B's attack:
C3i does not affect damage at all. (C3 only affects the range modifier).  Unit B would use the damage from its actual range to the target, which is long in your example.  The range from unit B's base to the aerospace fighter's flight path, + 6" for the aerospace fighters low altitude.  The range from Unit B to Unit A doesn't matter, nor does the range from Unit A to the aerospace fighter. 
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Register