Author Topic: Blood and Scrap  (Read 7632 times)

ShiraUso

• Private
  • Just Shira will do :)
Blood and Scrap
« on: 08 April 2019, 04:19:09 »
Heyo everyone! After getting a beta reader (thanks Daryk) for my story, I’ve retconned a lot of horrible errors I realise I made in Kurian’s Bruisers, so this is the retconned version. Hope you guys enjoy! I love feedback, so do feel free to give me plenty, whether you liked it or hated it.

EDIT: Did some major edits to the prologue and chapter 1, namely where I changed their tenses to past tense to match my later works and in response to advice from you guys. Said previous works will be left intact below in case anyone is interested in seeing the differences, but just a heads-up that everything was reposted below, so I advice scrolling down to the second ‘prologue’ if you’re new to my series. Anyways, enjoy!

Prologue

Alpheratz
Outworld Alliance
The Periphery
2nd January 3041

New year, new me... so they say… Artemis ‘Maul’ Kurian thought to herself, her lithe body leaning against the cold hard titanium-steel alloy armour of her Wolverine 6K’s right leg, her arms crossed as her right shoulder rests her weight against her metal giant protector, her right leg crossed behind her left, her heel stuck up with the balls of her feet on the ground.   The poorly-conditioned temperature of the mech bay she and her metal beheamoth stand in is just about every bit as disappointing and backwater as she would expect out of a spaceport in the Periphery, capital planet or not.

Standing at 5’10, the ethnic Japanese mechwarrior wears baggy beige coloured cargo pants with a plain black dri-fit shirt. Her modest chest bulges slightly from her shirt, and her long black ponytail flows down from her high ponytail to past her hips. Her face has a strong jawline, with high cheekbones and fair smooth skin.

Some lovely new me indeed, eh? Her eyes look to Captain Roy of the Exiled Hell Jumpers, whose battle-scarred face was looking as grim as ever. “So this is how it all ends, huh?” A smile akin to that of a citizen of the ancient city of Pompeii cracks along her face.

Her mercenary unit, Hell Juggernauts’, is nothing but bad news. Their last contract in the Inner Sphere had utterly skewered their fighting force, leaving just the Wolverine-6K and Phoenix Hawk-1K, along with just 2 platoons of Roy’s company. Clearly unable to successfully take a good contract in the Inner Sphere, they moved into the Outworld Alliance, hoping to strike a gold mine. The Periphery took its turn to take a swing at them, though, and their dropship, tech crew and anything or anyone who wasn’t on the battlefield during their mission on Mitchella, a planet in the Alliance, was kidnapped and taken by some unknown pirate gang..

“Ain’t over yet, boss. The Hell Jumpers’ still got one more mission in ‘em.”

“I don’t know if the Juggernaut’s got another mission in her.”

“Third time’s the charm.”

“Third knockout blow’s a TKO.”

“Artemis.” Roy’s head cocks to a side ever so gently, as he takes a step towards her, his right arm stretching out to lay a hand on her left shoulder, stopping himself from making physical contact with her though, his right hand hovering about her shoulder. “We’ve got this. You...’ve got this.” His bright blue eyes stare into her very soul, sending every nerve of the veteran Mechwarrior flying over the moon.

Her mind races, shocks of adrenaline rolling across her body. Facing off against an Atlas would make her less nervous that she was right now, with her infantry captain giving unprecedented encouragement. “I... wha...” Roy has always either been serious or laid-back, completely and utterly binary. Why’s he going cheerleader on me now? He must really want us to get off the ground and get pounded a third time on the battlefield…

She raises her right hand, her fingers grasping and sliding his hand away from her thin shoulder blades. She shifts her weight off her Wolverine, walking away from the captain, her hands rising up to her head, running her fingers through her slick jet black hair. “We can’t. We don’t have a dropship anymore, we lost a crap ton of infantry, the two Manticores aren’t with us anymore, the Phoenix Hawk’s cockpit still has a hole where…
Look, Hell’s Juggernauts is screwed. Unless you’ve got one more bloody magical miracle to pull out your ass, and another Mechwarrior, we’re done.” She turns back ‘round to face him, running her hands down her high ponytail, before releasing it to let it swing back down to her butt. The distance between the two leaders was now about 2 metres, as they begin locking themselves back into a lasting exchange of eye contact. An awkward silence descends, as both wait for the other to offer up a proposal of future plans.

Roy just stands there, hands on his hips, his baggy green fatigues gently swaying with the wind of the mech bay’s fans. Finally, he sighs. “I’ll see if I can cook up some sort of turnaround for us. Maybe find some tech who isn’t ready to watch a Kurita give up on herself.” He turns to walk away, right hand sliding up to rub his temple.

Artemis rolls her eyes. “It’s Kurian. I’m not a Kurita dammit!”

“Keep telling yourself that.”
« Last Edit: 30 October 2019, 07:43:51 by ShiraUso »
ドラゴンを死なせる

Esskatze

• Corporal
Re: Blood and scrap
« Reply #1 on: 08 April 2019, 07:56:02 »
Look, you really need to decide if you are writing in present or past tense. I'd prefer past tense, but it's your story. However, you really need to stick to one and stay with it.

Also, "we lost a crap ton of infantry" sounds pretty cold. Sure, it's a Mech jock who's saying that, but she's talking as if they were, I dunno, things, not people.

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 08 April 2019, 08:03:27 »
Seemed to flow pretty well to me, I didn't have any issues following the story.

And in the 31st century, life is cheap. Pretty sure that's actually a tagline somewhere in the BT universe.

ShiraUso

• Private
« Reply #3 on: 08 April 2019, 08:15:32 »
Hmm yeah, present and past tense is one of my greatest struggles as a writer. I personally prefer using present tense, but it’s also a rather awkward form to use since not everything is happening in present tense (it’s very 3D if you catch my drift, since you have past, present and future, while there’s just past and some future when you’re using past tense).

Artemis is a rather cold character, and tends to be more calculative, in this case only really looking at the numbers, rather than the actual lives that have ended
ドラゴンを死なせる

Esskatze

• Corporal
« Reply #4 on: 08 April 2019, 09:56:33 »
Last time I've seen the excessive use of present tense is in "American Psycho" by Bret Easton Ellis. The book had a very few calculated instances of past tense where the narrator (Patrick Bateman) had kind of a out-of-body experience. Anyway, my advice for a novice writer would be to KISS and gather some experience before trying writing in present tense.

ShiraUso

• Private
« Reply #5 on: 08 April 2019, 17:12:43 »
I’ve had experience in writing previous stories, it’s just that they were romance and in first person perspective, so I’m a bit of a fish out of water haha. But yeah, I’m probably gonna switch to past in chapter 2 (chapter 1’s already written, just waiting for my beta reader’s green light)
ドラゴンを死なせる

ShiraUso

• Private
« Reply #6 on: 08 April 2019, 17:18:07 »
Chapter 1

Alpheratz
Outworld Alliance
The Periphery
2nd January 3041

“Another.” Artemis raises her right hand, her gaze fixed upon the dull, plain glass mug before her, residue unfinished alcohol at its bottom glittering gently in the dim lighting of the bar. The stocky bartender silently fills her mug with another batch of liquor. She slips out a gold coin of some currency she can’t be bothered to identify, launching it at him with the flick of her thumb.

What the heck am I going to tell my father…

She raises the mug to her lips, tipping her head back to take a long swig of the burning, bitter alcohol. She rarely drinks; never really understood what’s so appealing about it, but tonight’s a special occasion: the day she was finally ready to throw in the towel.

Thank God I’ll only have to listen to his damn lectures in the afterlife.

She breaks into a soft chuckle to herself, her eyes finally break away from staring at her drink, turning to look to a screen of some sorts. Up hanging from the ceiling on her left is a holo-screen, some nonsensical scandal news about House Avellar. Even in the Periphery, interest in the lives of pampered privileged buffoons is present. She lets her eyes linger on the screen for a few more moments, before moving her gaze downwards to rest on the other drunkards occupying the left side of the bar.

Remember how he said I wouldn’t amount to anything useful when he saw my grades in my first year in the academy? Heh, look at me now…

Artemis’ mouth curled into a gentle smile.

Sitting here in a bar, spending what little money I have left on drinks… Quite the useful daughter huh?

“Pleasant evening, yeah?” A new presence slides himself onto the stool on her right. A quick mental check reminded her of her slight inebriation. Probably not the best time to conduct a conversation with some obviously infatuated fool.

“Pleasant time to be alone, yeah.” She returns her body to its original sulken bent over posture, her gaze resting on her mug once again.

“I’m sure I could change your mind.” He calls for the bartender, ordering a bottle of liquor. A bottle is swiftly placed in front of him, and he slips a C-bill towards the barkeeper in response. His use of currency does not escape her, though her somewhat alcohol-influenced consciousness could not care less. “Want some?”

“Screw off.” She grunts, taking a swig out of her beer.

“Look, I’m trying to be nice here.” He rotates his torso to face her, his hands removing his bottle cork with a distinctive ‘pop’.

“Can’t possibly imagine what you’re otherwise like then.” She chuckles drily.

“Want to find out? A fine woman ain’t gonna get a free swing at my ego and get away with it, I can promise you that.” He rests his right elbow on the bar counter, taking a quick sip of liquor before placing the bottle on the counter, his hands dramatically curling themselves into fists.

“Try me.” A chuckle escapes her lips, as she takes a last swig out of her drink, before turning her own torso to face him. Her weary eyes take their time to assess him. This should be interesting.

She sees the punch being thrown in his eyes years before he actually throws it. As his right shoulder twitches to begin the violent action, she sends out her own left arm forward to block it with her forearm. The impact rocks her slender frame. Pain wastes no time, the sting of the blocked punch shooting up from the point of contact. She retaliates with her right arm, propelling it forward in a bashing attack. As expected, he blocks it with his left elbow. Her right knee then launches out into his belly, her hips twisting to give the attack more strength.

He stumbles back in recoil, a grunt of pain escaping his lips. He would get no respite from her, though. She steps forward, swinging a right hook at his face. He blocks, and she fakes an attack with her right knee, before giving him a lightning fast left uppercut into his chin. Not letting him recover, she squats and compresses her body into a more ball-like shape, before giving him a right jab. He swings his right arm at her in desperate retaliation, only to have her slide past it. She springs up with a jump, her body twirling in mid-air as she swings a full roundhouse kick into his side.

He falls back from the force of the kick, his body sprawling all over the bar counter on his right. She stands over him, fists at the ready. Right hook, left hook, then a smash of her right fist onto his face. Her blows of unmeasured strength leave him grunting out in pain, but too stunned to fight back. Not bothering to survey the damage done, she steps away from his heavily beaten body, letting off a light sigh of satisfaction. The surrounding patrons of the bar stare at her with a variety of faces; surprise, intrigue, annoyance, confusion, and so on. She pays them no mind, reaching over to her drink on the counter and finishing it..

<|>

“I don’t care if you were drunk! That was totally stupid of you!” Roy’s booming voice rings in her ears, as he steps back, his fingers running through his short military-cut hair. His eyes look to the hospital bed, where the man Artemis beat up earlier in the evening lies unconscious. They had brought the man to one of the spare rooms available in their rented barracks facility after one of Roy’s privates watched the whole fight unfold and called him. Possibly unnecessary, but after what Artemis did to him, it is the least they could do. One of the Exiled Hell Jumpers’ medics had come over before Roy arrived, having checked and confirmed that the victim had not sustained any serious injuries.

The other outsider in the room watches Roy give Artemis an all-out dressing down. He was the man Roy was told to call while they were on their way to the hospital. Roy looks to him, then back to the hospital bed, then back to Artemis. “I would expect better out of you. I shouldn’t even have to scold in the first place.”

“Alright Roy, I get it. Somehow keep my cool when I’m freakin’ drunk. Can you shut up about it now?” Artemis rolls her eyes, breaking away from his gaze to stare at the ceiling. Roy grits his teeth, his arms crossing in front of his chest and his eyes burning holes into her cheek for a good long minute before finally turning away, instead rotating his body to face the outsiders.

“I’m terribly sorry for what my friend here did. I hope we can find some sort of agreement on a compensation for…”

“Anders. His name is Anders, and I’m Bryan. I wouldn’t worry too much about it. I’m sure Anders is just as guilty as she is. We’ll see what he thinks when he wakes up again, though. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to make a call.” Bryan offers a polite smile, before making his way out of the room.

Roy swerves back around to face Artemis. “I still can’t believe you went and did something that dumb. Trying to show off your family’s traditional martial arts? Look what you did. I don’t even know what this’ll do for our reputation. A two mech company is screwed as it is, without its only mechwarrior running around beating other people up just because she can’t hold her drink.”

“Oh shut up Roy. Aren’t you the one who told me we’re still in business?”

“That was before I watched a talented mechwarrior get drunk and beat up some random guy!”

“Oh for f-“

Anders’ suddenly stirring from unconsciousness cuts the heated exchange short, as the two warriors turn to look to the man in question. Anders sits up in his bed, droopy weary eyes looking to the two other souls in the room. “Somebody said ‘mech’.”

Artemis raises an eyebrow at him, perplexed by his weird, borderline delirious statement. The door opens, revealing Bryan, who takes in the whole scene in one glance.

“Bryan, I think we’ve found ourselves a new team of mercenaries.”

“Sorry?” Artemis steps forward, her hands on her hips.

“What’s your name, miss?”

“Kurian. Artemis Kurian.”

“Well Kurian, I need a fresh team of mercenaries to work for me. I’ve got a fantastic contract with a drop and jumpship just waiting around.”

“Define a team of mercenaries. I’ve got two mechs and me as our only mechwarrior. Not much of a ‘jolly good’ team of mercenaries.”

“You’ve got an extra mech? That’s your head technician Bryan over there, and you’ve got an extra mechwarrior, right here.” His index fingers curl inwards to point at himself, the injured recently beaten up man under bed sheets. His lips form a smug smile, his head leaning back to rest against his bed backboard in delusional self-awe. The room’s occupants stare at him silently for a few moments, at a loss for words.

“Anders, you’re still injured.” Bryan pipes up, his arms crossed as his bright blue eyes regard the blabbering mechwarrior.

“I’m fine. I can go right now.” His head rolls back down, his hands grabbing and pulling his sheets off. His swings his legs off the bed, and gets up to…
Tumble down to hit the floor.

“Clearly.” Artemis rolls her eyes, her gaze wandering off to look upon something more interesting.

“I’m fine! Just a couple of bruises.” He jumps back up to his feet, dusting off imaginary dust and straightening his black leather jacket. “She bruised me up good, that’s all.”

<|>

“Artemis, I’ve done a full inspection of both mechs. The Wolverine sustained a few bad hits in its last battle, but repairs doable. The Phoenix Hawk’s cockpit will take a while to patch up, but it’s not much of a problem.” Bryan holds a datapad in his hands, his eyes giving its contents one last look before bathing her in their gaze. The two are standing in front of Artemis’ Wolverine, Bryan having paged for her through a radio-contactor. The heat of the poor air-conditioning of the mech bay leaving droplets of sweat trickling down the head tech, whose bright blue eyes meet Artemis’ hazel brown. Artemis barely felt the heat; it was nothing compared to being cooked alive in an overheating mech.

“Both mechs are K variants. You’ve got quite a taste for the House Kurita’s arsenal, don’t you?”

Artemis looks him in the eye, letting off a light sigh. “Hell’s Juggernauts was formed from a bunch of Dieron Regulars who were done working for the Combine, whether it’s because they were kicked out of the DCMS, or simply didn’t like the pay.”

“What’s your story then? House Kurian sounds awfully similar to House Kuritan.” Bryan raises an eyebrow, his eyes carefully watching her reaction.

Artemis almost flinches at the mention of her family’s name, but resists the urge to overreact. “I left the DCMS in 3039, when my family was killed during the Battle of Alnasi. Damn Combine took too damn long to respond, and left such a small force to defend such a critical world. I took my Wolverine with me and formed Hell’s Juggernauts from scratch, making a good profit out of the war’s chaos.”

“And House Kurian?” Bryan tilts his head ever so slightly.

Artemis holds back an eyeroll. “My family name is a long story. Kurian sounds a heck lot like Kuritan, but we’re not Kuritans. I was raised among warriors, warriors who died over the many wars in the past few centuries. My father himself was a retired member of the Sword of Light, and probably died fighting on Alnasi when it was invaded.”

“But what about-“ Bryan continues to indulge in his curiosity, only to be interrupted by Artemis.

“I don’t want to talk about my family. Maybe some other time.”

Before he can send another barrage of questions, she quickly turns to leave, making her way towards the bay’s exit, right up until she sees Anders, dressed in brown trousers and a black leather jacket, standing in a laid-back relaxed position, as he talks to some well-dressed noble who is clearly out of place.

“Ah Artemis, right on time. This is our new employer, Minister Gordon of the Deep Worlds’ Collective.”

“Pleasure to meet you, Artemis.” Minister Gordon stretches out his right hand for a handshake, one that Artemis obliges to, her eyes silently analysing the man as the two exchange pleasantries.

“Bryan tells me that you’re his partner in this newly formed mercenary unit.” His attire is totally spotless, possibly bordering OCD. His freshly pressed black suit tells of his wealth, and probably brings him great discomfort, judging from the beads of sweat present on his face — the heat of the mech bay shows no mercy. His voice is smooth, yet firm. His face features a weak jawline and low cheekbones, with combed short black hair. His dark blue eyes stare into hers, no doubt analysing her in a similar fashion.

“So we are. I’ve never heard of the Deep Worlds’ Collective.”

“Most outside of the Deep Periphery have not. It’s an alliance of systems that share collective protection from bandits. We need more mercenaries to garrison our worlds, hence my presence here.”

“As long as you guys have the bucks, we’ll make sure your days of getting plundered are over.”

“I would expect so out of a mechwarrior who pilots a mech so…” He turns to marvel at the sheer size of her Wolverine, as a small grin curls into existence on Anders’ face.

“Trust me. On the battlefield, she’s a lot more dangerous than beautiful.” She allows herself to smile at the awe-struck minister.

“Let us hope so, for both our sakes.” His face shifts back to face her, nodding and offering a smile before turning his attention towards Anders.

“I take it your unit has a name?”

“Sure as the Inner Sphere has a planet named Earth in it.” He smiles confidently, his yellow teeth showing themselves in the brightly-lit mech bay.

“Kurian’s Bruisers, that’s who we are.”
ドラゴンを死なせる

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 08 April 2019, 21:47:55 »
interesting
 :thumbsup:
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

ShiraUso

• Private
« Reply #8 on: 08 April 2019, 23:30:38 »
Thanks! :D
ドラゴンを死なせる

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 09 April 2019, 00:04:22 »
Good start, looking forward to see what trouble Artemis can get into. :thumbsup:
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

ShiraUso

• Private
« Reply #10 on: 24 April 2019, 08:55:40 »
Hey guys! Sorry for the long delay. I take forever to write, and only really write on my hour journeys home from school everyday. Hope you guys enjoy chapter 2, and once again I love feedback, so do feel free to comment on the story so far, seeing people talk about the story really brightens up my day :)

Special thanks to Daryk, probably the best proofreader in existence. My work wouldn’t be half as good as it is without his help

Chapter 2

Alpheratz
Outworlds Alliance
The Periphery
3rd January 3041

Kurian’s Bruisers?!? Is this supposed to be some sort of half-baked joke? Artemis ‘Maul’ Kurian’s eyes darted towards Anders, her new found partner in a newly-formed mercenary unit. The mercenary unit name he had just given to their unit’s first client was a clear joke about the way they met yesterday; her fist to his face. Anders wore a confident smile, his hands in his cargo pockets, while his weight mostly rested on his right leg. She saw not a hint of smugness anywhere on him.

Protesting over the name would surely display discord in their unit before their client’s eyes, and would no doubt work to her disadvantage somehow. She swiftly swept her anger under an imaginary rug, and bit her lips. She turned to face Minister Gordon, their client, and offered a quick smile and a nod.

“Kurian’s Bruisers. Right. I shall inform the Deep Worlds’ Collective Central Command of your acceptance of the contract as soon as I get back. The details of your first assignment are with your partner. I hope to hear about your success in the Deep Worlds soon.” Minister Gordon politely nodded to Anders, before turning on his heel and making his way out of the dreadfully hot mech bay, his black leather dress shoes clacking against the ferro-concrete floor of the mech bay, a sound that shortly found itself drowned out by the dull background noises of techs at work.

As soon as the minister was out of earshot, Artemis’ polite smile evaporated. Her head snapped around and gave Anders a drop-dead glare. “Kurian’s Bruisers? Seriously?” She hissed, her sharp tone piercing through the mech bay’s noise like a vibroblade through butter. Anders’ eyes widened, his confident demeanor broken for a split-second, before snapping back.

“Oh sorry, I forgot to ask what your unit’s previous name was.”

“Hell’s Juggernauts. Maybe you should have let me answer that question, don’t you think?” She leaned forward and cocked her head ever so slightly, her eyes narrowing on him.

“Oh it’s fine. Kurian’s Bruisers is a much better name at any rate. No worries.” Anders’ muscles relaxed, his lips forming another one of his usual carefree everything’s-fine smiles.

Artemis felt just about ready to beat him up once again. She stepped forward, her right hand jabbing forward and grabbing him by the collar, yanking him toward her a few centimetres. Her piercing hazel brown eyes scowled at him menacingly, demanding his full attention. “Listen here, and listen good. You’d better work with me properly, or I’ll make sure I beat you up properly the next time we tango. Clear?”

Anders nodded slowly. His eyes had widened ever so slightly, his smile completely torn off his face, with not a trace of it left. Satisfied, Artemis released him, his upper torso leaning back into an upright position as the force from Artemis’ hand disappeared. He now donned a more serious, respectful look as he straightened up his olive V-neck shirt. His tongue ran over his teeth within his mouth, a slight bulge from his tongue sticking out from his right cheek. His eyes consciously avoided eye contact with her, instead fixing themselves onto the floor behind her. She would have retired from the mech bay to avoid more awkward feelings, but there was still work to do.

A leader doesn’t lead with intimidation. Didn’t your superiors teach you this, Kurian-chan? Her father’s aged voice echoed annoyingly in her head.

Shut up, Kurian-otousan.

You know he’s right. Her conscience chimed in. It always knew exactly when to be a nuisance to her. She rolled her eyes, before turning her focus back to the matter at hand: Anders.

“What’s the information on the planet we’re being assigned to?” Her hands slid down to rest on her hips, her gaze following his downcast eyes.

“We’re actually going to garrison a total of 4 systems. The Deep Worlds Collective only employs a small number of mercenary units, moving them and their mechs around to deploy as reinforcements whenever any of their planets are raided or invaded. With the exception of their capital, their planets usually rely on local militia to handle threats until reinforcements arrive.” Anders’ eyes darted from side to side occasionally, and it seemed he was actively avoiding her eyes. She decided she would rather have him nervous around her than totally undisciplined, though.

Mistakes are a test to our ability to apologise. Her father’s voice seeped back into her consciousness once again, sending a shiver rolling down her spine.

Shut it.

“What’s their militia like? Do we have any other mercenary units to back us up?” Artemis’ eyebrows twitched at random intervals, her body language relaxed, save for her eyes that studied Anders’ every move intently.

“As far as I’m aware, they have a few Manticores, Goblins, and a lot of Strikers and Bulldogs. If attackers are packing 'mechs, the battles are normally fights to buy time. Whenever an attack comes around, the JumpShip stationed in their system will immediately jump to a system with the stationed garrison. The garrison is informed, and the relief force takes off in their DropShips, jump with their system’s stationed Jumpship to the attacked system. It’s barely acceptable, but it’s possibly the best a Deep Periphery state can do with only a few mech units.” Anders continued his quest to avoid eye contact, his gaze drifting and wandering around the floor.

Artemis raised an eyebrow. “Each system has a Jumpship?”

“Yeah, it’s the only thing the most worlds around here have in abundance. I’m guessing they found an abandoned Jumpship construction platform or cache or something some time back.”

“This is going to be a tough contract, especially with what we have at the moment.”

Anders finally looked up, his eyes meeting hers. “You sure you can pilot that Wolverine properly?”

Artemis narrows her eyes. “You just make sure you watch my back. You do that, and I’ll make sure I work my magic.”

Anders chuckled. Seems like he’s finally grown his balls back. He stretched out his right hand for a handshake. “You work your magic, and Kurian’s Bruisers will be in business.” Artemis rolled her eyes at the use of the new mercenary unit’s name, but stretched out her own right hand. The two shook hands, their minds in accord with one another for once. Artemis departed from the mech bay afterwards, while Anders continued to linger.

<^>

The next few days flew by, with Kurian’s Bruisers mostly settling logistical matters. The mercenary unit had to transport all assets of the now extinct Hell’s Juggernauts over to Anders’ Dropship. They lifted off a few days after the unit had finished packing up, with the Leopard class Irish Dreams leaving the surface of Alpheratz IV to make for the Jumpship awaiting them at the Zenith point.

The Irish Dreams finally began to dock with the Invader class Germinator on day 15 of Kurian’s Bruisers existence.

Artemis, Roy and Anders floated in zero-G outside the bulkhead of the Irish Dreams’ docking port, the three in a bit of a triangle formation: Artemis positioned in the front, flanked by the other two. The door finally began to slide open, revealing the captain of the Jumpship, dressed smartly in a white uniform.

“Captain Benedict, at your service ma’am.” Benedict nodded with a smile and stretched out his right hand, a handshake that Artemis accepted.

“Artemis Kurian, former Lieutenant of the 9th Dieron Regulars.” Artemis offered a smile as she shook his hand. She did not like bringing up her former position in the DCMS, but boasting of her ‘proud’ achievements in her military service was almost obligatory thanks to tradition.

Benedict looked to the two men flanking Artemis, offering each a polite smile before turning back to Artemis. “I trust we have a heading, ma’am?”

“The Deep Worlds’ Collective, captain. Do you have the coordinates?” Artemis maintained eye contact with the captain. First impressions were always something she found stressful.

Captain Benedict’s pearly white teeth showed themselves for the fourth time, as his muscles relaxed a few notches at the mention of their destination. “Of course ma’am. To the Deep Worlds’ Collective we go.”

<^>

It took about two and a half weeks to leave Outworlds Alliance territory. Each jump took the Bruisers further and further from the Inner Sphere, and farther and farther into the unknown of the Deep Periphery.

The journey was dull and boring for Artemis, who never particularly liked space travel. Her Transit Disorientation Syndrome ensured most of her interstellar travels were miserable, each jump between solar systems leaving her horribly nauseated for a few hours.

She spent most days continuing to refresh her memory of 'mech schematics; information that was almost as important as food to her. Aside from that, her days went by with mundane idling around, with occasional short conversations with Bryan over non-family related topics of interest. Bryan as a mechtech always had useful and interesting insights to share, and was pleasant to speak with.

<^>

“Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Outworlds Verge.” Samson, captain of the Kurian’s Bruisers Dropship Irish Dreams, announced to those present in the bridge. Samson sat snugly in the bridge’s command chair, buckled firmly into his seat by an array of seat belts.

Artemis sat in a passenger seat behind the command chair, buckled in. Her gaze remained fixed on the warping space outside the viewport of the dropship, watching as the short-lived light show of hyperspace vanished as quickly as it came, revealing the view of a faraway star that marked the first solar system beyond the Outworlds Alliance. Her stomach almost immediately began rolling into loops of nausea. She gritted her teeth and held back the insistent urges to vomit. Oh how I love space travel.

The Outworlds Verge was simply the space rimward of the Outworlds Alliance, containing not only the Outworlds Wastes but the deep periphery beyond it, stretching far and wide, arguably until the Elysian Fields. The Outworlds Verge was littered with humanity and its marks; failed, struggling and stable colonies and empires appearing and disappearing under the hand of countless pirate organisations.

The Outworlds Verge’s main appeal lied in its abundance of resource-rich planets, a fact that remained elusive to the greedy but ignorant inhabitants of the Inner Sphere. Empires and colonies rose with the goal of reaping grand profits from harvesting the multitude of resources, usually only to be subjected to constant raids from bandits.

Rumour had it that the Oberon Confederation and Taurian Concordat had bases and units stationed in the Verge out of interest for the abundant resources available, but in a region of space that relied on Jumpship courier messages in the absence of a Comstar Hyperpulse Generator network, such information was difficult to collect and verify.

“Space sick much, Lieutenant?” Anders chuckled to himself. He was seated beside the attractive pretty face who beat him up just a few weeks prior, savouring the sight of watching her suffer.

“It’s Commander to you, Mechwarrior ****.” Artemis managed through the intense tsunami of mental disorientations that smashed into her head. I should have taken the pills. She quickly found herself regretting her decision to be on the bridge during this milestone achievement of entering their potential new home. Whoever thought up this idea was an idiot.

“It is at this juncture, Commander, that I would like to mention you are here on the bridge despite your TDS of your own accord.” Anders began grinning from ear to ear, enjoying every second of his valuable new-found gloating session.

“Ma’am, do you need any assistance?” Captain Samson spun his command chair around to face the two, his bright blue eyes looking to Artemis.

“Clearly I’m totally fine.” Artemis grunted stiffly, bending over her lap to rest her head horizontally between her legs, high ponytail flowing over the top of her head to float around in the zero-G environment. “Just enjoying the magic of space travel.”

<^>

Reaching the Outworlds Verge was only the first step of entering the Deep World Collective. The Germinator had several more jumps before reaching the border systems of the Deep Worlds' Collective.

Due to the lack of a Hyperpulse Generator Network, news of Kurian’s Bruisers joining the Collective’s mercenary forces had not reached most of the state’s systems, a fact that could quickly lead to misunderstandings with planetary security forces. Though this would pose no threat to the mercenary unit, it could definitely be incredibly inconvenient for both sides.

Thankfully, Minister Gordon seemed to have left much earlier and got the information dispersed rather swiftly, as the Germinator received zero apprehensive hails from systems they passed through. Most short day stays in Collective systems featured amicable enough communication with occupied planets, including transmission of appropriate coordinates for their assigned garrison world.

The Germinator’s relatively eventless interstellar trip ended though, when they reached the Ashon system, 2 jumps away from Heran, their designated garrison base system.

Artemis took Transit Disorientation Syndrome (TDS) countering sleeping pills during most jumps, so as to avoid the dreadful fits of disorientation she experienced every time she went through a jump. However, she found herself waking up from her medicine-induced deep sleep hours early, to hear incessant knocking against her quarters’ door.

Shaking off any residual sleep from her mind, she slipped off her bed and floated toward the door. Probably Anders. She swung the door open to reveal a clearly bored Anders hanging on to the wall beside her door. It’s him. What a surprise.

“You’re a minute late.” Anders said and narrowed his eyes on her. At that instant her mind conducted a quick mental check to make sure she was decently dressed. She was wearing a black t-shirt with brown cargo pants, her long jet black hair cascading freely in zero-g.

“What is it Anders.” Artemis rolled her eyes, opening the door all the way before withdrawing her right hand from it. Her hand slid up to her hip, her piercing hazel brown eyes staring him down.

A paramedic gave her a shot to help her wake up early, and left the room afterwards. The drugs took a few minutes to take effect, and Anders had been waiting for a whole minute extra for the commander to wake up.

“We received a call for help from the surface upon entering the system. It’s sitting in the bridge, waiting for your attention..” Anders pushed off from the wall to stand upright, and crossed his arms.

“I’ll be there in 5 minutes. Meet me there.” Artemis replied with a gentle nod of acknowledgement before closing the door. She quickly stripped off her clothes and tossed them toward her bed, before changing into loose olive fatigues and her black coat. She grabbed her handgun on her way out, checking its magazine before slipping it into her right coat pocket. A warrior is always prepared for war at a moment’s notice. One of her father’s many ‘essential’ teachings echoed in her mind as she strode through the corridors that led to the bridge, So you’d better be sure your preparations are not sloppy.

Not like bringing a handgun helps in a ship this far from a planet anyways…

Finally, she reached the closed hatch leading to the bridge. With a swipe of her hand over the console beside the door, the two heavy metal doors slid open to reveal the familiar view of the Irish Dreams’ bridge. “What’s the situation, captain?” She gently sailed through the weightless air into the centre of the bridge, where Captain Samson was seated in his command chair, his eyes glued to a datapad. Anders floated beside him, his neck craned over to read the datapad.

At the sound of her voice, the two turned to face her. Captain Samson gave a graceful nod, zero-G preventing him from rendering a proper bow. The respectful officer never failed to honour ethnic Japanese traditions she found herself hopelessly bound to.

“We have a situation. When we jumped into the system, we received a distress signal from the forces on Ashon III. Here, I’ll play it for you.” Samson pressed a button on the right armrest of his command chair. The bridge was immediately filled with a radio transmission.

“Come in, to any nearby spacecraft, we need immediate reinforcements. We’re under attack by pirate forces, and require relief as soon as possible. I repeat, we are under attack, and require assistance…” The recording faded out, leaving the room in silence. Artemis found herself stared at by every eyeball on the bridge, from Captain Samson and Anders to the other crew present.

She gave a gentle sigh, her hand sliding up to her hip, the other firmly clamped to prevent her from floating away. Her eyes looked to the deck, her mind racing as she mentally went through her options. To abandon a world under the protection of their employers would be dishonourable, akin to betraying them, but…

“We’re not being paid to protect some random other world.” Anders piped up, clearing up the silence, his feet braced so he could cross his arms in zero-G.

“Why wouldn’t they pay us? We were hired to protect them from pirates.” Artemis looked up, and squinted slightly at him.

“We’ve been assigned to 4 systems, and this ain’t one of 'em.” He replied, narrowing his own eyes.

“We’ve been hired to fight off pirates for them. Here are some pirates, and thus we must fight for them.”

“So we will fight for free?”

“We will fight because we will honour our contract. They’ll pay us or we’ll pay them hell.”

Artemis turned to address the rest of the bridge. Her eyes first rested on Captain Samson.

“Captain, I want us detached and on our way to Ashon III ASAP.”

Then to Roy. “Roy, get your troops ready to deploy. I want all elements squared away by the time we hit the ground.”

“I’ll prep the 'mechs.” Bryan nodded, speaking up before Artemis could address him. Artemis nodded back to him with a subtle smile tucked away in the corner of her mouth. Finally, she looked back to Anders. “I’m getting onto the battlefield with or without your help. So you either get your ass on the surface with me or watch your delusions of grandeur die with those pirate scum.”

Heaving another gentle sigh, she turned to make for the bridge’s doors. “Good luck to us all.”
« Last Edit: 24 April 2019, 09:06:10 by ShiraUso »
ドラゴンを死なせる

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #11 on: 24 April 2019, 09:45:31 »
Thanks for props, but I'm not that good...  ::)

ShiraUso

• Private
« Reply #12 on: 27 October 2019, 09:03:58 »
Heyo, sorry for sudden disappearance for half a year; life picked up in pace and I kinda lost passion for writing for a while, but I’m back :)

Reviewed my previous works and finished up chapter 3, so I’m gonna repost all 4 completed chapters.

Once again, your comments mean the world to me so feel free to give them freely.

Thanks to Daryk for beta reading and helping organise my BT stuffs, and you guys for reading :D
ドラゴンを死なせる

ShiraUso

• Private
« Reply #13 on: 27 October 2019, 09:04:24 »
Chapter 1

Alpheratz
Outworld Alliance
The Periphery
2nd January 3041

“Another.” Artemis raised her right hand, her gaze fixed upon the dull, plain glass mug before her. Residue unfinished alcohol at its bottom glittered gently in the dim lighting of the bar. The stocky bartender silently filled her mug with another batch of liquor. She slipped out a gold coin of some currency she couldn’t be bothered to identify, and launched it at him with a flick of her thumb.

She raised the mug to her lips, tipping her head back to take a long swig of the burning, bitter alcohol. She rarely drank, as she never really understood what was so appealing about it. However, tonight’s was a special occasion: the day she was finally ready to throw in the towel.

She broke into a soft chuckle to herself, her eyes finally breaking away from staring at her drink, and turned to look to a screen of some sorts. Up hanging from the ceiling on her left was a holo-screen, some nonsensical scandal news about House Avellar. Even in the Periphery, interest in the lives of pampered privileged buffoons was present. She let her eyes linger on the screen for a few more moments, before moving her gaze downwards to rest on the other drunkards occupying the left side of the bar.

Remember how he said I wouldn’t amount to anything useful when he saw my grades in my first year in the academy? Heh, look at me now…

Sitting here in a bar, spending what little money I have left on drinks… Quite the useful daughter huh?

“Pleasant evening, yeah?” A new presence slid himself onto the stool on her right. A quick mental check reminded her of her slight inebriation. Probably not the best time to conduct a conversation with some obviously infatuated fool.

“Pleasant time to be alone, yeah.” She returned her body to its original sulken bent over posture, her gaze resting on her mug once again.

“I’m sure I could change your mind.” He called for the bartender, and ordered a bottle of liquor. A bottle is swiftly placed in front of him, and he slipped a C-bill towards the barkeeper in response. His use of currency did not escape her, though her somewhat alcohol-influenced consciousness could not care less. “Want some?”

“Screw off.” She grunted, taking a swig out of her beer.

“Look, I’m trying to be nice here.” He rotated his torso to face her, his hands removing his bottle cork with a distinctive ‘pop’.

“Can’t possibly imagine what you’re otherwise like then.” She chuckled drily.

“Want to find out? Even a pretty face like yours ain’t gonna get a free swing at my ego and get away with it, I can promise you that.” He rested his right elbow on the bar counter, taking a quick sip of liquor before placing the bottle on the counter. His hands dramatically curled themselves into fists.

“Try me.” A chuckle escaped her lips as she took one last swig out of her drink, before turning her own torso to face him. Her weary eyes took their time to assess him. This should be interesting.

She saw the punch being thrown in his eyes years before he actually threw it. As his right shoulder twitched to begin the violent action, she sent out her own left arm forward to block it with her forearm. The impact rocked her slender frame. Pain wasted no time, the sting of the blocked punch shooting up from the point of contact. She retaliated with her right arm, propelling it forward in a right hook. As expected, he blocks it with his left elbow. Her right knee then launched out into his belly, her hips twisting to give the attack more strength.

He stumbled back in recoil, as a grunt of pain escaped his lips. He would get no respite from her, though. She stepped forward, swinging another right hook at his face. He blocked, and she faked an attack with her right knee, before giving him a lightning fast left uppercut into his chin. Not letting him recover, she squatted and compressed her body into a more ball-like shape, and gave him a right jab. He swung his right arm at her in desperate retaliation, only for her to slide past it. She sprang up with a jump, her body twirling in mid-air as she swung a full roundhouse kick into his side.

He fell back from the force of the kick, his body sprawling all over the bar counter on his right. She stood over him, fists at the ready. Right hook, left hook, then a smash of her right fist onto his face. Her blows of unmeasured strength left him grunting out in pain, but too stunned to fight back. Not bothering to survey the damage done, she stepped away from his heavily beaten body, letting off a light sigh of satisfaction. The surrounding patrons of the bar stared at her with a variety of faces; surprise, intrigue, annoyance, confusion, and so on. She paid them no mind, reaching over to her drink on the counter and finishing it..

<^>

“I don’t care if you were drunk! That was totally stupid of you!” Roy’s booming voice rang in her ears, as he stepped back, his fingers running through his short military-cut hair. His eyes looked to the hospital bed, where the man Artemis beat up earlier in the evening laid unconscious.

They had brought the man to one of the spare rooms available in their rented barracks facility after one of Roy’s privates watched the whole fight unfold and called him. Possibly unnecessary, but after what Artemis did to him, it was the least they could do. One of the Exiled Hell Jumpers’ medics had come over before Roy arrived, having checked and confirmed that the victim had not sustained any serious injuries.

The other outsider in the room watched Roy give Artemis an all-out dressing down. He was the man Roy was told to call while they were on their way to the barracks. Roy looked to him, then back to the bed, then back to Artemis. “I would expect better out of you. You’re in command, yet I find myself having to scold you. Why?”

“Alright Roy, I get it. Somehow keep my cool when I’m freakin’ drunk. Can you shut up about it now? Nobody asked you to take charge of me, so get off my bloody back.” Artemis closed her eyes for a moment and held back the urge to go any further. She shook her head, breaking away from his gaze to stare at the ceiling.

Roy gritted his teeth. He crossed his arms in front of his chest and burned holes into her cheek with his eyes for a good long minute before finally turning away, instead rotating his body to face the outsiders.

“I’m terribly sorry for what my friend here did. I hope we can find some sort of agreement on a compensation for…”

“Anders. His name is Anders, and I’m Bryan. I wouldn’t worry too much about it. I’m sure Anders is just as guilty as she is. We’ll see what he thinks when he wakes up again, though. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to make a call.” Bryan offered a polite smile, before making his way out of the room.

Roy swerved back around to face Artemis. “I still can’t believe you went and did something that dumb. Trying to show off your family’s traditional martial arts? Look what you did. I don’t even know what this’ll do for our reputation. A two mech company is screwed as it is, without its only mechwarrior running around beating the snot out of people up just because she can’t hold her drink.”

“Oh shut up Roy. You’re out of line here, so back off. He attacked me first, so I doubt an employer would hold my self-defence measures against me. Just because you don’t approve of the things I do doesn’t mean I can’t bloody do it, so shut up already.”

“Bullshit. You know you were being excessive. You’re better than this. Don’t tell me someone of your caliber can’t manage restraint?”

“Oh for f-“

Anders’ suddenly stirred from unconsciousness, which cut the heated exchange short. The duo turned to look to the man in question. Anders sat up in his bed, droopy weary eyes looking to the two other souls in the room. “Somebody said ‘mech’.”

Artemis raised an eyebrow at him, perplexed by his weird, borderline delirious statement. The door opened, revealing Bryan, who took in the whole scene in one glance.

“Sorry?” Artemis stepped forward, her hands on her hips.

“Well Kurian, I need a fresh team of mercenaries to work for me. I’ve got a fantastic contract with a drop and jumpship just waiting around.”

“Define a team of mercenaries. I’ve got two mechs and me as our only mechwarrior. Not much of a ‘jolly good’ team of mercenaries.”

“You’ve got an extra mech? That’s your head technician Bryan over there, and you’ve got an extra mechwarrior, right here.” His index fingers curled inwards to point at himself, the injured recently beaten up man under bed sheets. His lips formed a smug smile, his head leaning back to rest against his bed backboard in delusional self-awe. The room’s occupants stared at him silently for a few moments, at a loss for words.

“Anders, you’re still injured.” Bryan piped up, his arms crossed as his bright blue eyes regarded the blabbering mechwarrior.

“I’m fine. I can go right now.” His head rolled back down, his hands grabbing and pulling his sheets off. His swung his legs off the bed, and got up to…

“Clearly.” Artemis rolled her eyes, and her gaze wandered off to look upon something more interesting.

“I’m fine! Just a couple of bruises.” He jumped back up to his feet, dusting off imaginary dust and straightening his black leather jacket. “She bruised me up good, that’s all.”

<^>

“Artemis, I’ve done a full inspection of both mechs. The Wolverine sustained a few bad hits in its last battle, but repairs are doable. The Phoenix Hawk’s cockpit will take a while to patch up, but it’s not much of a problem.” Bryan held a datapad in his hands, his eyes giving its contents one last look before bathing her in their gaze.

The two were standing in front of Artemis’ Wolverine; Bryan had paged for her through a radio-contactor. The heat of the poor air-conditioning of the mech bay left droplets of sweat trickling down the head tech, whose bright blue eyes met Artemis’ hazel brown. Artemis barely felt the heat; it was nothing compared to being cooked alive in an overheating mech.

“Both mechs are K variants. You’ve got quite a taste for House Kurita’s arsenal, don’t you?”

Artemis looked him in the eye, and let off a sigh. “Hell’s Juggernauts was formed from a bunch of Dieron Regulars who were done working for the Combine, whether it’s because they were kicked out of the DCMS, or simply didn’t like the pay.”

“What’s your story then? House Kurian sounds awfully similar to House Kuritan.” Bryan raised an eyebrow, his eyes carefully watching her reaction.

Artemis almost flinched at the mention of her family’s name, but resisted the urge to overreact. “I left the DCMS in 3039, when my family was killed during the Battle of Alnasi. Damn Combine took too damn long to respond, and left such a small force to defend such a critical world. I took my Wolverine with me and formed Hell’s Juggernauts from scratch, making a good profit out of the war’s chaos.”

“And House Kurian?” Bryan tilted his head ever so slightly.

Artemis held back an eyeroll. “I’m not exactly sure where my ancestral lines go, but we’re not Kuritans. The Kurian line is that of warriors though, through and through. My father himself was a retired member of the Sword of Light. I wouldn’t be surprised if he died fighting on Alnasi when it was invaded.”

“But what about-“ Bryan continued to indulge in his curiosity, only to be interrupted by Artemis.

“I don’t want to talk about my family. Maybe some other time.” She broke eye contact, her right hand instinctively sliding up to brush a stray strand of hair out of her vision.

Before he could send another barrage of questions, she quickly turned to leave, making her way towards the bay’s exit, right up until she saw Anders, dressed in brown trousers and a black leather jacket, standing in a laid-back relaxed position. He was talking to some well-dressed noble who was clearly out of place.

“Ah Artemis, right on time. This is our new employer, Minister Gordon of the Deep Worlds’ Collective.”

“Pleasure to meet you, Artemis.” Minister Gordon stretched out his right hand for a handshake, one that Artemis obliged to, her eyes silently analysing the man as the two exchanged pleasantries.

“Bryan tells me that you’re his partner in this newly formed mercenary unit.” His attire was totally spotless, possibly bordering OCD. His freshly pressed black suit told of his wealth, and probably was also bringing him great discomfort, judging from the beads of sweat present on his face — the heat of the mech bay showed no mercy. His voice was smooth, yet firm. His face featured a weak jawline and low cheekbones, with combed short black hair. His dark blue eyes stared into hers, no doubt analysing her in a similar fashion.

“So we are. I’ve never heard of the Deep Worlds’ Collective.” Artemis offered a polite smile, and retracted her hand from the handshake.

“Most outside of the Deep Periphery have not. It’s an alliance of systems that share collective protection from bandits. We need more mercenaries to garrison our worlds, hence my presence here.” Minister Gordon rubbed his hands slowly, palm sliding against palm.

“As long as you guys have the bucks, we’ll smash those bandits for you.” Artemis subconsciously thumbed her right knuckles. And if you don’t have the bucks, we’ll smash you for someone who does…

“I would expect so out of a mechwarrior who pilots a mech so…” He turned to marvel at the sheer size of her Wolverine, his eyes soaking in the sight..

“Trust me. On the battlefield, she’s a lot more dangerous than beautiful.” She allowed herself to smile at the awe-struck minister.

“Let us hope so, for both our sakes.” His face shifted back to face her, nodding and offering a smile before turning his attention towards Anders.

“Sure as the Inner Sphere has a planet named Earth in it.” Anders grinned, his yellow teeth showing themselves in the brightly-lit mech bay.

« Last Edit: 12 February 2020, 01:30:24 by ShiraUso »
ドラゴンを死なせる

ShiraUso

• Private
« Reply #14 on: 27 October 2019, 09:06:04 »
Chapter 1

Alpheratz
Outworld Alliance
The Periphery
2nd January 3041

“Another.” Artemis raised her right hand, her gaze fixed upon the dull, plain glass mug before her. Residue unfinished alcohol at its bottom glittered gently in the dim lighting of the bar. The stocky bartender silently filled her mug with another batch of liquor. She slipped out a gold coin of some currency she couldn’t be bothered to identify, and launched it at him with a flick of her thumb.

She raised the mug to her lips, tipping her head back to take a long swig of the burning, bitter alcohol. She rarely drank, as she never really understood what was so appealing about it. However, tonight’s was a special occasion: the day she was finally ready to throw in the towel.

She broke into a soft chuckle to herself, her eyes finally breaking away from staring at her drink, and turned to look to a screen of some sorts. Up hanging from the ceiling on her left was a holo-screen, some nonsensical scandal news about House Avellar. Even in the Periphery, interest in the lives of pampered privileged buffoons was present. She let her eyes linger on the screen for a few more moments, before moving her gaze downwards to rest on the other drunkards occupying the left side of the bar.

“Pleasant evening, yeah?” A new presence slid himself onto the stool on her right. A quick mental check reminded her of her slight inebriation. Probably not the best time to conduct a conversation with some obviously infatuated fool.

“Pleasant time to be alone, yeah.” She returned her body to its original sulken bent over posture, her gaze resting on her mug once again.

“I’m sure I could change your mind.” He called for the bartender, and ordered a bottle of liquor. A bottle is swiftly placed in front of him, and he slipped a C-bill towards the barkeeper in response. His use of currency did not escape her, though her somewhat alcohol-influenced consciousness could not care less. “Want some?”

“Screw off.” She grunted, taking a swig out of her beer.

“Look, I’m trying to be nice here.” He rotated his torso to face her, his hands removing his bottle cork with a distinctive ‘pop’.

“Can’t possibly imagine what you’re otherwise like then.” She chuckled drily.

“Want to find out? Even a pretty face like yours ain’t gonna get a free swing at my ego and get away with it, I can promise you that.” He rested his right elbow on the bar counter, taking a quick sip of liquor before placing the bottle on the counter. His hands dramatically curled themselves into fists.

“Try me.” A chuckle escaped her lips as she took one last swig out of her drink, before turning her own torso to face him. Her weary eyes took their time to assess him. This should be interesting.

She saw the punch being thrown in his eyes years before he actually threw it. As his right shoulder twitched to begin the violent action, she sent out her own left arm forward to block it with her forearm. The impact rocked her slender frame. Pain wasted no time, the sting of the blocked punch shooting up from the point of contact. She retaliated with her right arm, propelling it forward in a right hook. As expected, he blocks it with his left elbow. Her right knee then launched out into his belly, her hips twisting to give the attack more strength.

He stumbled back in recoil, as a grunt of pain escaped his lips. He would get no respite from her, though. She stepped forward, swinging another right hook at his face. He blocked, and she faked an attack with her right knee, before giving him a lightning fast left uppercut into his chin. Not letting him recover, she squatted and compressed her body into a more ball-like shape, and gave him a right jab. He swung his right arm at her in desperate retaliation, only for her to slide past it. She sprang up with a jump, her body twirling in mid-air as she swung a full roundhouse kick into his side.

He fell back from the force of the kick, his body sprawling all over the bar counter on his right. She stood over him, fists at the ready. Right hook, left hook, then a smash of her right fist onto his face. Her blows of unmeasured strength left him grunting out in pain, but too stunned to fight back. Not bothering to survey the damage done, she stepped away from his heavily beaten body, letting off a light sigh of satisfaction. The surrounding patrons of the bar stared at her with a variety of faces; surprise, intrigue, annoyance, confusion, and so on. She paid them no mind, reaching over to her drink on the counter and finishing it..

<^>

“I don’t care if you were drunk! That was totally stupid of you!” Roy’s booming voice rang in her ears, as he stepped back, his fingers running through his short military-cut hair. His eyes looked to the hospital bed, where the man Artemis beat up earlier in the evening laid unconscious.

They had brought the man to one of the spare rooms available in their rented barracks facility after one of Roy’s privates watched the whole fight unfold and called him. Possibly unnecessary, but after what Artemis did to him, it was the least they could do. One of the Exiled Hell Jumpers’ medics had come over before Roy arrived, having checked and confirmed that the victim had not sustained any serious injuries.

The other outsider in the room watched Roy give Artemis an all-out dressing down. He was the man Roy was told to call while they were on their way to the barracks. Roy looked to him, then back to the bed, then back to Artemis. “I would expect better out of you. You’re in command, yet I find myself having to scold you. Why?”

“Alright Roy, I get it. Somehow keep my cool when I’m freakin’ drunk. Can you shut up about it now? We’re not on the battlefield right now, you’re not the boss of me.” Artemis shook her head and rolled her eyes, breaking away from his gaze to stare at the ceiling. Roy gritted his teeth. He crossed his arms in front of his chest and burned holes into her cheek with his eyes for a good long minute before finally turning away, instead rotating his body to face the outsiders.

“Anders. His name is Anders, and I’m Bryan. I wouldn’t worry too much about it. I’m sure Anders is just as guilty as she is. We’ll see what he thinks when he wakes up again, though. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to make a call.” Bryan offered a polite smile, before making his way out of the room.

Roy swerved back around to face Artemis. “I still can’t believe you went and did something that dumb. Trying to show off your family’s traditional martial arts? Look what you did. I don’t even know what this’ll do for our reputation. A two mech company is screwed as it is, without its only mechwarrior running around beating the snot out of people up just because she can’t hold her drink.”

“Oh shut up Roy. You’re out of line here, so back off. Also, aren’t you the one who told me we’re still in business?”

“That was before I watched a talented mechwarrior get drunk and beat up some random guy!”

“Oh for f-“

Anders’ suddenly stirred from unconsciousness, which cut the heated exchange short. The duo turned to look to the man in question. Anders sat up in his bed, droopy weary eyes looking to the two other souls in the room. “Somebody said ‘mech’.”

Artemis raised an eyebrow at him, perplexed by his weird, borderline delirious statement. The door opened, revealing Bryan, who took in the whole scene in one glance.

“Sorry?” Artemis stepped forward, her hands on her hips.

“You’ve got an extra mech? That’s your head technician Bryan over there, and you’ve got an extra mechwarrior, right here.” His index fingers curled inwards to point at himself, the injured recently beaten up man under bed sheets. His lips formed a smug smile, his head leaning back to rest against his bed backboard in delusional self-awe. The room’s occupants stared at him silently for a few moments, at a loss for words.

“Anders, you’re still injured.” Bryan piped up, his arms crossed as his bright blue eyes regarded the blabbering mechwarrior.

“I’m fine. I can go right now.” His head rolled back down, his hands grabbing and pulling his sheets off. His swung his legs off the bed, and got up to…

“Clearly.” Artemis rolled her eyes, and her gaze wandered off to look upon something more interesting.

“I’m fine! Just a couple of bruises.” He jumped back up to his feet, dusting off imaginary dust and straightening his black leather jacket. “She bruised me up good, that’s all.”

<^>

“Artemis, I’ve done a full inspection of both mechs. The Wolverine sustained a few bad hits in its last battle, but repairs are doable. The Phoenix Hawk’s cockpit will take a while to patch up, but it’s not much of a problem.” Bryan held a datapad in his hands, his eyes giving its contents one last look before bathing her in their gaze.

The two were standing in front of Artemis’ Wolverine; Bryan had paged for her through a radio-contactor. The heat of the poor air-conditioning of the mech bay left droplets of sweat trickling down the head tech, whose bright blue eyes met Artemis’ hazel brown. Artemis barely felt the heat; it was nothing compared to being cooked alive in an overheating mech.

“Both mechs are K variants. You’ve got quite a taste for House Kurita’s arsenal, don’t you?”

Artemis looked him in the eye, and let off a sigh. “Hell’s Juggernauts was formed from a bunch of Dieron Regulars who were done working for the Combine, whether it’s because they were kicked out of the DCMS, or simply didn’t like the pay.”

“What’s your story then? House Kurian sounds awfully similar to House Kuritan.” Bryan raised an eyebrow, his eyes carefully watching her reaction.

Artemis almost flinched at the mention of her family’s name, but resisted the urge to overreact. “I left the DCMS in 3039, when my family was killed during the Battle of Alnasi. Damn Combine took too damn long to respond, and left such a small force to defend such a critical world. I took my Wolverine with me and formed Hell’s Juggernauts from scratch, making a good profit out of the war’s chaos.”

“And House Kurian?” Bryan tilted his head ever so slightly.

Artemis held back an eyeroll. “I’m not exactly sure where my ancestral lines go, but we’re not Kuritans. I was raised among warriors, warriors who died over the many wars in the past few centuries. My father himself was a retired member of the Sword of Light. I wouldn’t be surprised if he died fighting on Alnasi when it was invaded.”

“But what about-“ Bryan continued to indulge in his curiosity, only to be interrupted by Artemis.

“I don’t want to talk about my family. Maybe some other time.” She broke eye contact, her right hand instinctively sliding up to brush a stray strand of hair out of her vision.

Before he could send another barrage of questions, she quickly turned to leave, making her way towards the bay’s exit, right up until she saw Anders, dressed in brown trousers and a black leather jacket, standing in a laid-back relaxed position. He was talking to some well-dressed noble who was clearly out of place.

“Pleasure to meet you, Artemis.” Minister Gordon stretched out his right hand for a handshake, one that Artemis obliged to, her eyes silently analysing the man as the two exchanged pleasantries.

“Bryan tells me that you’re his partner in this newly formed mercenary unit.” His attire was totally spotless, possibly bordering OCD. His freshly pressed black suit told of his wealth, and probably was also bringing him great discomfort, judging from the beads of sweat present on his face — the heat of the mech bay showed no mercy. His voice was smooth, yet firm. His face featured a weak jawline and low cheekbones, with combed short black hair. His dark blue eyes stared into hers, no doubt analysing her in a similar fashion.

“So we are. I’ve never heard of the Deep Worlds’ Collective.” Artemis offered a polite smile, and retracted her hand from the handshake.

“Most outside of the Deep Periphery have not. It’s an alliance of systems that share collective protection from bandits. We need more mercenaries to garrison our worlds, hence my presence here.” Minister Gordon rubbed his hands slowly, palm sliding against palm.

“As long as you guys have the bucks, we’ll those bandits for you.” Artemis subconsciously thumbed her right knuckles.

“I would expect so out of a mechwarrior who pilots a mech so…” He turned to marvel at the sheer size of her Wolverine, his eyes soaking in the sight..

“Trust me. On the battlefield, she’s a lot more dangerous than beautiful.” She allowed herself to smile at the awe-struck minister.

“Let us hope so, for both our sakes.” His face shifted back to face her, nodding and offering a smile before turning his attention towards Anders.

“Sure as the Inner Sphere has a planet named Earth in it.” He grinned, his yellow teeth showing themselves in the brightly-lit mech bay.

« Last Edit: 12 February 2020, 01:07:09 by ShiraUso »
ドラゴンを死なせる

ShiraUso

• Private
« Reply #15 on: 27 October 2019, 09:07:43 »
Chapter 2

Alpheratz
Outworlds Alliance
The Periphery
3rd January 3041

Kurian’s Bruisers?!? Is this supposed to be some sort of funny half-baked joke? Artemis ‘Maul’ Kurian’s eyes darted towards Anders, her new found partner in a newly-formed mercenary unit. The mercenary unit name he had just given to their unit’s first client was a clear joke about the way they met yesterday; her fist to his face. Anders wore a confident smile, his hands in his cargo pockets, while his weight mostly rested on his right leg. She saw not a hint of smugness anywhere on him.

Protesting over the name would surely display discord in their unit before their client’s eyes, and would no doubt work to her disadvantage somehow. She swiftly swept her anger under an imaginary rug, and bit her lips. She turned to face Minister Gordon, their client, and offered a nod.

“Kurian’s Bruisers. Right. I shall inform the Deep Worlds’ Collective Central Command of your acceptance of the contract as soon as I get back. The details of your first assignment are with your partner. I hope to hear about your success in the Deep Worlds soon.” Minister Gordon politely nodded to Anders, before turning on his heel and making his way out of the dreadfully hot mech bay, his black leather dress shoes clacking against the ferro-concrete floor of the mech bay, a sound that shortly found itself drowned out by the dull background noises of techs at work.

As soon as the minister was out of earshot, Artemis’ courteous facade instantly evaporated. Her head snapped around and gave Anders a drop-dead glare. “Kurian’s Bruisers? Seriously?” She hissed, her sharp tone piercing through the mech bay’s noise like a vibroblade through butter.

Anders’ eyes widened, his confident demeanor broken for a split-second, before snapping back. “Oh sorry, I forgot to ask what your unit’s previous name was.”

“Hell’s Juggernauts. Maybe you should have let me answer that question, don’t you think?” She leaned forward and cocked her head ever so slightly, her eyes narrowing on him.

“Oh it’s fine. Kurian’s Bruisers is a much better name at any rate. No worries.” Anders’ muscles relaxed, his lips forming another one of his usual carefree everything’s-fine smiles.

Artemis felt just about ready to beat him up once again. She stepped forward, her right hand jabbing forward and grabbing him by the collar. She yanked him toward her a few centimetres. Her piercing hazel brown eyes scowled at him menacingly, demanding his full attention. “Listen here, and listen good. You’d better work with me properly, or I’ll make sure I slap you around properly the next time we tango. Clear?”

Anders nodded slowly. His eyes had widened ever so slightly, his smile completely torn off his face, with not a trace of it left. Satisfied, Artemis released him, his upper torso leaning back into an upright position as the force from Artemis’ hand disappeared.

He now donned a more serious, respectful look as he straightened up his olive V-neck shirt. His tongue ran over his teeth within his mouth, a slight bulge from his tongue sticking out from his right cheek. His eyes consciously avoided eye contact with her, instead fixing themselves onto the floor behind her. She would have retired from the mech bay to avoid more awkward feelings, but there was still work to do.

A leader doesn’t lead with intimidation. Didn’t your superiors teach you this, Kurian-chan? Her father’s aged voice echoed annoyingly in her head.

Shut up, Kurian-otousan.

You know he’s right. Her conscience chimed in. It always knew exactly when to be a nuisance to her. She rolled her eyes and mentally silenced both voices, before turning her focus back to the matter at hand: Anders.

“What’s the information on the planet we’re being assigned to?” Her hands slid down to rest on her hips, her gaze following his downcast eyes.

“We’re actually going to garrison a total of 4 systems. The Deep Worlds Collective only employs a small number of mercenary units, moving them and their mechs around to deploy as reinforcements whenever any of their planets are raided or invaded. With the exception of their capital, their planets usually rely on local militia to handle threats until reinforcements arrive.”

Anders’ eyes darted from side to side occasionally, and it seemed he was actively avoiding her eyes. She decided she would rather have him nervous around her than totally undisciplined, though.

Mistakes are a test to our ability to apologise. Her father’s voice seeped back into her consciousness once again, sending a shiver rolling down her spine.

Shut it.

“What’s their militia like? Do we have any other mercenary units to back us up?” Artemis’ eyebrows twitched at random intervals, her body language relaxed, save for her eyes that studied Anders’ every move intently.

“As far as I’m aware, they have a few Manticores, Goblins, and a lot of Strikers and Bulldogs. If attackers are packing 'mechs, the battles are normally fights to buy time. Whenever an attack comes around, the JumpShip stationed in their system will immediately jump to a system with the stationed garrison. The garrison is informed, and the relief force takes off in their DropShips, jump with their system’s stationed Jumpship to the attacked system. It’s barely acceptable, but it’s possibly the best a Deep Periphery state can do with only a few mech units.” Anders continued his quest to avoid eye contact, his gaze drifting and wandering around the floor.

Artemis raised an eyebrow. “Each system has a Jumpship?”

“Yeah, it’s the only thing the most worlds around here have in abundance. I’m guessing they found an abandoned Jumpship construction platform or cache or something some time back.”

“This is going to be a tough contract, especially with what we have at the moment.”

Anders finally looked up, his eyes meeting hers. “You sure you can pilot that Wolverine properly?”

Artemis narrows her eyes. “You just make sure you watch my back. You do that, and I’ll make sure I work my magic.”

Anders chuckled. Seems like he’s finally grown his balls back. He stretched out his right hand for a handshake. “You work your magic, and Kurian’s Bruisers will be in business.” Artemis rolled her eyes at the use of the new mercenary unit’s name, but stretched out her own right hand. The two shook hands, their minds in accord with one another for once. Artemis departed from the mech bay afterwards, while Anders continued to linger.

<^>

The next few days flew by, with Kurian’s Bruisers mostly settling logistical matters. The mercenary unit had to transport all assets of the now extinct Hell’s Juggernauts over to Anders’ Dropship. They lifted off a few days after the unit had finished packing up, with the Leopard class Irish Dreams leaving the surface of Alpheratz IV to make for the Jumpship awaiting them at the Zenith point.

The Irish Dreams finally began to dock with the Invader class Germinator on day 15 of Kurian’s Bruisers existence.

<^>

Artemis, Roy and Anders floated in zero-G outside the bulkhead of the Irish Dreams’ docking port, the three in a bit of a triangle formation: Artemis positioned in the front, flanked by the other two. The door finally began to slide open, revealing the captain of the Jumpship, dressed smartly in a white uniform.

“Captain Benedict, at your service ma’am.” Benedict nodded with a smile and stretched out his right hand, a handshake that Artemis accepted.

“Artemis Kurian, former Captain of the 9th Dieron Regulars.” Artemis offered a smile as she shook his hand. She did not like bringing up her former position in the DCMS, but boasting of her ‘proud’ achievements in her military service was almost obligatory by tradition.

Benedict looked to the two men flanking Artemis, and offered each a polite smile before turning back to Artemis. “I trust we have a heading, ma’am?”

“The Deep Worlds’ Collective, captain. Do you have the coordinates?” Artemis maintained eye contact with the captain. First impressions were always something she found stressful.

Captain Benedict’s pearly white teeth showed themselves for the fourth time, as his muscles relaxed a few notches at the mention of their destination. “Of course ma’am. To the Deep Worlds’ Collective we go.”

<^>

It took about two and a half weeks to leave Outworlds Alliance territory. Each jump took the Bruisers further and further from the Inner Sphere, and farther and farther into the unknown of the Deep Periphery.

The journey was dull and boring for Artemis, who never particularly liked space travel. Her Transit Disorientation Syndrome ensured most of her interstellar travels were miserable, each jump between solar systems leaving her horribly nauseated for a few hours.

She spent most days continuing to refresh her memory of 'mech schematics; information that was almost as important as food to her. Aside from that, her days went by with mundane idling around, with occasional short conversations with Bryan over non-family related topics of interest. Bryan as a mechtech always had useful and interesting insights to share, and was pleasant to speak with.

<^>

“Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Outworlds Verge.” Samson, captain of the Kurian’s Bruisers Dropship Irish Dreams, announced to those present in the bridge. Samson sat snugly in the bridge’s command chair, buckled firmly into his seat by an array of seat belts.

Artemis sat in a passenger seat behind the command chair, buckled in. Her gaze remained fixed on the warping space outside the viewport of the dropship, watching as the short-lived light show of hyperspace vanished as quickly as it came, revealing the view of a faraway star that marked the first solar system beyond the Outworlds Alliance. Her stomach almost immediately began rolling into loops of nausea. She gritted her teeth and held back the insistent urges to vomit. Oh how I love space travel.

The Outworlds Verge was simply the space rimward of the Outworlds Alliance, containing not only the Outworlds Wastes but the deep periphery beyond it, stretching far and wide, arguably until the Elysian Fields. The Outworlds Verge was littered with humanity and its marks; failed, struggling and stable colonies and empires appearing and disappearing under the hand of countless pirate organisations.

The Outworlds Verge’s main appeal lied in its abundance of resource-rich planets, a fact that remained elusive to the greedy but ignorant inhabitants of the Inner Sphere. Empires and colonies rose with the goal of reaping grand profits from harvesting the multitude of resources, usually only to be subjected to constant raids from bandits.

Rumour had it that the Oberon Confederation and Taurian Concordat had bases and units stationed in the Verge out of interest for the abundant resources available, but in a region of space that relied on Jumpship courier messages in the absence of a Comstar Hyperpulse Generator network, such information was difficult to collect and verify.

“Space sick much, Captain?” Anders chuckled to himself. He was seated beside the attractive pretty face who beat him up just a few weeks prior, and savoured the sight of watching her suffer.

“It’s Commander to you, Mechwarrior ****.” Artemis managed through the intense tsunami of mental disorientations that smashed into her head. I should have taken the pills.  She quickly found herself regretting her decision to be on the bridge during this milestone achievement of entering their potential new home. Whoever thought up this idea was an idiot.

“It is at this juncture, Commander, that I would like to mention you are here on the bridge despite your TDS of your own accord.” Anders began grinning from ear to ear, enjoying every second of his valuable new-found gloating session.

“Ma’am, do you need any assistance?” Captain Samson spun his command chair around to face the two, his bright blue eyes looking to Artemis.

“Clearly I’m totally fine.” Artemis grunted stiffly, bending over her lap to rest her head horizontally between her legs, high ponytail flowing over the top of her head to float around in the zero-G environment. “Just enjoying the magic of space travel.”

<^>

Reaching the Outworlds Verge was only the first step of entering the Deep World Collective. The Germinator had several more jumps before reaching the border systems of the Deep Worlds' Collective.

Due to the lack of a Hyperpulse Generator Network, news of Kurian’s Bruisers joining the Collective’s mercenary forces had not reached most of the state’s systems, a fact that could quickly lead to misunderstandings with planetary security forces. Though this would pose no threat to the mercenary unit, it could definitely be incredibly inconvenient for both sides.

Thankfully, Minister Gordon seemed to have left much earlier and got the information dispersed rather swiftly, as the Germinator received zero apprehensive hails from systems they passed through. Most short day stays in Collective systems featured amicable enough communication with occupied planets, including transmission of appropriate coordinates for their assigned garrison world.

The Germinator’s relatively eventless interstellar trip ended though, when they reached the Ashon system, 2 jumps away from Heran, their designated garrison base system.

Artemis took Transit Disorientation Syndrome (TDS) countering sleeping pills during most jumps, so as to avoid the dreadful fits of disorientation she experienced every time she went through a jump. However, she found herself waking up from her medicine-induced deep sleep hours early, to hear incessant knocking against her quarters’ door.

Shaking off any residual sleep from her mind, she slipped off her bed and floated toward the door. Probably Anders. She swung the door open to reveal a clearly bored Anders hanging on to the wall beside her door. It’s him. What a surprise.

“You’re a minute late.” Anders said and narrowed his eyes on her. At that instant her mind conducted a quick mental check to make sure she was decently dressed. She was wearing a black t-shirt with brown cargo pants, her long jet black hair cascading freely in zero-g.

“What is it Anders.” Artemis rolled her eyes, opening the door all the way before withdrawing her right hand from it. Her hand slid up to her hip, her piercing hazel brown eyes staring him down.

A paramedic had given her a shot to help her wake up early, and left the room afterwards. The drugs took a few minutes to take effect, and Anders had been waiting for a whole minute extra for the commander to wake up.

“We received a call for help from the surface upon entering the system. It’s sitting in the bridge, waiting for your attention..” Anders pushed off from the wall to stand upright, and crossed his arms.

“I’ll be there in 5 minutes. Meet me there.” Artemis replied with a gentle nod of acknowledgement before closing the door. She quickly stripped off her clothes and tossed them toward her bed, before changing into loose olive fatigues and her black coat. Instinctively, she grabbed her handgun on her way out, checking its magazine before slipping it into her right coat pocket. A warrior is always prepared for war at a moment’s notice. One of her father’s many ‘essential’ teachings echoed in her mind as she sailed through the corridors that led to the bridge.

Not like bringing a handgun helps in a ship this far from a planet anyways…

Finally, she reached the closed hatch leading to the bridge. With a swipe of her hand over the console beside the door, the two heavy metal doors slid open to reveal the familiar view of the Irish Dreams’ bridge. “What’s the situation, captain?” She gently sailed through the weightless air into the centre of the bridge, where Captain Samson was seated in his command chair, his eyes glued to a datapad. Anders floated beside him, his neck craned over to read the datapad.

At the sound of her voice, the two turned to face her. Captain Samson gave a graceful nod, zero-G preventing him from rendering a proper bow. The respectful officer never failed to honour the ethnic Japanese traditions she followed.

“We have a situation. When we jumped into the system, we received a distress signal from the forces on Ashon III. Here, I’ll play it for you.” Samson pressed a button on the right armrest of his command chair. The bridge was immediately filled with a radio transmission.

“Come in, to any nearby spacecraft, we need immediate reinforcements. We’re under attack by pirate forces, and require relief as soon as possible. I repeat, we are under attack, and require assistance…” The recording faded out, leaving the room in silence. Artemis found herself stared at by every eyeball on the bridge, from Captain Samson and Anders to the other crew present.

She gave a gentle sigh, her hand sliding up to grasp her hip thoughtfully, the other firmly clamped to a nearby handgrip to prevent her from floating away. Her eyes looked to the deck, her mind racing as she mentally went through her options. To abandon a world under the protection of their employers would be dishonourable, akin to betraying them, but…

“We’re not being paid to protect some random other world.” Anders piped up, clearing up the silence, his feet braced so he could cross his arms in zero-G.

“Why wouldn’t they pay us? We were hired to protect them from pirates.” Artemis looked up, and squinted slightly at him.

“We’ve been assigned to 4 systems, and this ain’t one of 'em.” He replied, narrowing his own eyes.

“We’ve been hired to fight off pirates for them. Here are some pirates, and thus we must fight for them.”

“So we will fight for free?”

“We will fight because we will honour our contract. They’ll pay us or we’ll pay them hell.”

Artemis turned to address the rest of the bridge. Her eyes first rested on Captain Samson.

“Captain, I want us detached and on our way to Ashon III ASAP.”

Then to Roy. “Roy, get your troops ready to deploy. I want all elements squared away by the time we hit the ground.”

“I’ll prep the 'mechs.” Bryan nodded, speaking up before Artemis could address him. Artemis nodded back to him with a subtle smile tucked away in the corner of her mouth.

Finally, she looked back to Anders. “I’m getting onto the battlefield with or without your help. So you either get your ass on the surface with me or watch your delusions of grandeur die with those pirate scum.”

Heaving another gentle sigh, she turned to make for the bridge’s doors. “Good luck to us all.”

« Last Edit: 12 February 2020, 01:07:43 by ShiraUso »
ドラゴンを死なせる

ShiraUso

• Private
« Reply #16 on: 27 October 2019, 09:11:44 »
Chapter 3

Alegro IV
Outworlds Alliance
The Periphery
28 December 3040

The memories of Artemis’ last bloody battle just a few weeks back still haunted her dreams, so vivid each and every time it almost seemed like she was experiencing the whole ordeal all over again...

Boom. The dull sound of another artillery shell hitting the surrounding area rippled through the air, the accompanying shockwave rocking Artemis ‘Maul’ Kurian in the cockpit of her Wolverine-6K. She felt sweat trickle down her forehead as the heat of her mech radiated onto her body, only barely kept at acceptable levels by the cooling vest strapped to her chest.

She spied her heat levels in the corner of her vision, as she gripped her right joystick hard, bringing her Wolverine’s right arm to bear, letting loose a bright crimson beam from her mech’s Large Laser. The deadly hot beam struck the middle of the enemy Vulcan’s center torso, stripping away the last of its engine shielding. The slender metal giant fell onto its back as the mini sun in its chest grew out of control, enveloping its upper body for a few moments before fading away in a brilliant light show of explosions.

“Nice shot, Maul.” Mechwarrior Norman’s deep voice crackled over the radio into her ears. “Told you this’d be easy eh? Damn turkey shoot.”

“Haha sure. Just wait till you get to tank the hits.” Artemis shook her head, her mouth curling to form a smile as she pulled the throttle into neutral. The Wolverine slowed to a stop, smoking from heated combat. Behind her, Norman's Phoenix Hawk continued jogging through the hot cracked badlands of Alegro IV to catch up.

“I don’t see any need to tank when I’ve got the Periphery’s best jock on the job,” Norman chuckled over the radio. Artemis coughed as she resisted a giggle, before rolling her eyes.

The shockwave of another artillery shell hitting the ground on her far right and the barking of Captain Roy over the communication channel immediately brought her back to the current moment, though. “Kids! We’re still in this fight! I’m taking heavy losses! We’ve been ambushed by an Anti-infantry Spider! Get over here and fix this crap!” His voice hollered through the crackling radio over the sounds of gunfire.

“Copy that, We’re en route.” Norman replied. Artemis pushed her throttle up, the dull sounds of her mech’s footsteps filling her cockpit once again.

The Hell’s Juggernauts were making a desperate attempt to get back on their feet after some devastating contracts in the Inner Sphere, having been hired to drive out pirate forces from the system. The battle plan was simple: Artemis and Norman were to engage the enemy’s mech forces in a standard straight up battle, creating a diversion while Roy’s infantry would engage the enemy’s vulnerable artillery pieces with their two Manticore tanks, crippling the pirate’s main offensive forces in one swift strike.

The mech battle was straightforward enough, with Artemis and Norman quickly coming out on top over the small disorganized medium and light mech force. Roy’s attack though, was meeting several snags. One of the Manticore tanks had been blown up by a conventional fighter, and an enemy Spider armed with a machine gun was apparently lying in ambush with the artillery, along with a sizable combined infantry and conventional armour force.

The artillery formation was located behind a small congregation of hills. Artemis and Norman began moving towards the hills in the east at a good speed, thanks to their mech’s respectable speed capacity.

The hills were now just a few hundred metres away, the humps of red dry ground swiftly growing closer and closer in the monitors of Artemis’ cramped cockpit. “I find myself once again in awe of the incredible skill a fine lady like yourself has with a mech.” Does he always have to flirt when it’s quiet?

She rolled her eyes with a smile, and lifted her left hand off the throttle to wipe her sweat off her face. “Fine ladies don’t pilot mechs. Just badasses and dumb men.”

“This one’s an exception though. Want me to prove it?” Artemis’ cheeks blushed warm and red. Memories of the posh dinner he treated her to before they moved out of the Inner Sphere flooded her mind. Last time I ever wore a dress…

“Oh shut up will you? What if Roy’s listening in…” She bit her lower lip, trying to suppress the blushing. She turned her head to look to her right, as if Norman was sitting opposite her for some reason.

“Oh you’re cute when you’re cross.” She could sense his affectionate adoration through the crackling voice over the radio. She breathed a sigh. Her gaze continued to hover around her right, avoiding the imaginary Norman in front of her.

“Screw off.”

“You’re proving my point.” He began chuckling, and she swiftly closed the radio channel to give a pseudo-slap to the face. I’ll give him hell when we’re done here.

Radio silence descended upon the duo as they continued on towards the enemy artillery formations. About over a kilometre out from their destination, their relatively eventless journey crashed to an end when a barrage of autocannon shells blew into Norman’s Phoenix Hawk’s frontal armour.

What the heck? There isn’t supposed to be any opposition over here… Artemis opened a radio channel with Norman, her left hand gently pulling back her throttle to slow down her speed by a quarter. “Norman, what’s your status?” The attack was unlikely to get through his pristine armour, but she still awaited his response with bated breath.

“Heck of a salvo. AC/20 I’m guessing. Why the heck is there enemy opposition over here?” Norman sounded scarcely affected by the sudden attack, calm as always.

“As if I’d know. Where did it come from?” Artemis’ mind focused up on the various displays and controls laid out before her. A mech’s myriad of various distinct buttons, levers and readings may be overwhelming to the untrained eye, but the extension of one’s body to the trained.

She powered up her mech’s weaponry, watching her lasers charge up and her SRMs’ load up on the screens on her left and right respectively. She instinctively took a quick glance at her SRM’s ammo count — more than enough for another tango with a mech. Round two it is. Bring it on.

“Rocks to the right. I’m engaging.” Norman’s voice crackled over the comm channel as his Phoenix Hawk rotated accordingly, an aqua blue beam of light burning forth from his large laser, followed by the mech’s lesser green beams from its medium lasers.

A cluster of large rocks sat 2 o’clock from Artemis’ position. Stationed just to the left of the rocks, partially hidden behind cover, camouflaged bright brown sat a Hunchback, it’s formidable AC/20 smoking from its deadly volley.

Hunchback-4G, no doubt. AC/20, two medium lasers and a small laser. Ammo’s in the left torso just above where a heart would be. Artemis grabbed a sensor lock on the lone foe, her mind flooding her consciousness with all relevant information on the enemy. The sensors’ data report flashed up on the secondary view screen in front of her, confirming the enemy’s identity with a readout of its weapons and chassis model.

She pumped her throttle up to 100%, adjusted her mech’s course slightly and rotated its torso to face the adversary. Her targeting reticle quickly found itself hovering over the enemy. She locked in the target and gave it a full alpha strike, the full brunt of her Wolverine’s firepower bursting forth.

Her SRM launchers fired their payloads, missiles flying straight and true into the stationary Hunchback. Two hit its right torso, two on its centre torso, another on its right leg, while one pounded on the rock covering the Hunchback’s left torso. Explosions rippled across the Hunchback’s armour, stripping a good portion of it off. Meanwhile, her lasers burned into its right torso, melting off whatever armour was left after Norman’s salvo. Bright red molten titanium alloy flowed from the mech’s wound, dripping onto the ground to join the armour already melted away.

The Hunchback was a bit slow to react, eating nearly the entirety of Artemis’ laser burn before finally reversing, moving to hide behind the rock cover and no doubt wait for its AC/20 to cycle for another barrage.

“I’m coming around the left. Move up and we’ll take him together.”  Artemis’ Wolverine circled around the rock in a semi-circle shape, her mech almost moving into view of the back of the rock face, where the Hunchback was hiding. She took a quick glance at her heat levels, which were already slowly coming down to a more healthy level. Her weapons’ displays flashed green one by one, ready for another alpha strike.

Copy that, boss..” Norman’s Phoenix Hawk jogged forward to take up position just beside the rock on the left side, ready to move in.

“I’m in position. Let’s go.” Artemis kept her throttle up at full speed, setting her mech on a diagonal course past the rock’s front face, her targeting reticle resting on where the Hunchback would be in a few moments. Norman pushed forward in tandem with Artemis. His weapons were pointed straight at the enemy, which quickly came into view.

The Hunchback’s AC/20 flashed as it let loose a volley at Artemis who came into view first. Metal slugs bursting forth in a deadly volley. However, with the distance Artemis had made between the two of them, the AC/20’s effectiveness was limited as Artemis ran forward at full speed. Textbook. Artemis smirked to herself, readying a good lock on her target, fingers on the triggers, ready to nail the Hunchback’s exposed right torso. Her heart raced with anticipation, adrenaline surging with the rush of battle. Glorious combat. She lived for this.

Just as she was ready to savour victory, everything went horribly wrong. Norman had moved up, his Phoenix Hawk entering the pathway of the Hunchback’s would-be failed volley. Most of the slugs had already flown past him, but not all. Three of them slammed into the Phoenix Hawk, specifically into its head.

Artemis’ heart sank as she watched the events unfold, fear rushing into her consciousness to turn the adrenaline against her. Her heart that was beating away furiously a moment ago felt frozen up, as panic mounted and readied for a coup over her mind.

Small shockwaves rippled from the points of impact, sending metal shards from both slugs and the Phoenix Hawk’s cockpit scattering into the air as tiny missiles that only spelt more doom for the mech’s pilot. The slender mech stumbled backward, as smoke billowed from the mech’s fatal wound.

Any desperate hope of a fluke survival of a headshot shrivelled up and died in her as she watched the Phoenix Hawk tumble over onto the ground, lifeless. He’s dead. Norman’s freaking dead. Why does he have to die too? She felt despair letting itself in to join fear, despair culturing and festering terror, and terror producing-

Shut it Artemis! You’re still in this fight! She mentally slapped herself back into her mech’s cockpit — armed, dangerous and still very much alive. Her hands clenched her mech’s dual joysticks tight, fingers ready on the triggers. She the targeting reticule back on the Hunchback, sacrificing half a second for a precise aim on its exposed right torso.

She released a full alpha strike on the enemy, her laser salvo melting off any remnants of the right torso’s armour and hand. Her SRMs surged forth alongside deadly blue, green and red beams of light. Two SRMs flew wide of the target, one pounding its payload into the Hunchback’s centre torso armour, while only three made it to the mech’s right torso. Three proved to be more than sufficient for the job, though, as the three missiles’ explosive impacts smashed into the ruined side. The blast blew the AC/20 cannon clean off the mech’s shoulder.

Without its main cannon, the Hunchback’s return fire was pathetic at best. It’s crimson red laser fired wide. The emerald green medium laser beam caught the Wolverine by the edge of its right torso; its superheated beam of light only managed to tear off a fraction of the mech’s thick reinforced armour, leaving it mostly unscathed.

“This little shit’s gonna pay.” Artemis’ voice was a growl through gritted teeth, as she brought the Wolverine in for a direct collision course with the enemy, firing a salvo of SRMs at it. Alarms began to wail as excess heat began to build up in the hot desert temperature. She barely felt the heat, watching the 6 SRM missiles deliver their payload across the Hunchback’s chest. It didn’t matter where they hit; the shock from the missiles was all she needed.

She flipped on Mech Punch and Grab switches on both her joysticks, the mech’s battle computer switching from battlemech targeting and tracking to her mech’s custom finely-tuned melee controls. Her Wolverine leaned forward to ram its left shoulder into the Hunchback’s centre torso, the shock from the heavy impact rippling through both mechs. Artemis gripped her joysticks tight, knuckles turning white, her teeth gritted as she braced for the impact. The cockpit shook. Artemis felt shoved into her safety harness as the entire cockpit nearly lurched backward from the force.

Unfazed by the impact’s shock and murder in her eyes, Artemis brought the Wolverine to withdraw from the tackle. The mech straightened to full height and cocked its right fist. With practised precision, Artemis propelled the mech’s arm towards the Hunchback’s head, its fist bursting forth into every mech’s universal vulnerability — the cockpit canopy.

The punch hammered the mech’s face, rocking its pilot’s world. The fist smashed through the cockpit’s armour, penetrating it and caving it in. The enemy was now very much dead. Without a pilot to balance it, the mech fell backwards from the force of the punch, crashing against the hard rock desert floor. Dust kicked up and began to cloud the view of the fallen giant.

Artemis stood over her foe as her head pounded from the blood pumping through her system. Her chest heaved with her heavy breaths, her eyes glued to the mech’s lifeless body. Norman’s dead. His face flashed across her mind, the face she would never again get to laugh at, the man she would never again get to laugh with, the feelings she would never again get to explore…

This day couldn’t get any worse. She tore her eyes away from Norman’s killer, then opened a comms channel on Roy’s frequency. She bit her lip, almost afraid to ask. “Roy? Do you read me?”

A moment of silence passed. Answer me dammit. “Roy...are you there?”

Her headset crackled to life as a familiar voice filled her ears. “I read you Artemis. Where the heck are you?” She let out a sigh of relief.

“We got ambushed. Norman’s… dead. What’s your status?” Artemis stared at the communications panel, her fingers twiddling idly over her lap as she waited for his response with bated breath.

“We managed to take out the Spider and finish up the fight, but I’ve got bad news…” This day can’t get any worse. This day can’t get any worse...

« Last Edit: 12 February 2020, 01:08:34 by ShiraUso »
ドラゴンを死なせる

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #17 on: 27 October 2019, 10:12:13 »
Thanks again for the props!  :thumbsup:

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 28 October 2019, 13:25:28 »
this unit can't take much more bad news
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

EAGLE 7

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 28 October 2019, 14:11:50 »
  Self inflicted wound sounds like, no intel going in blind, enemy choice of ground, enemy has larger force, and enemy had artillery.
    Lucky they did not fare worse than they did.
“ My Clan honor is bigger than your Dragon honor, and comes in 18 clan flavors.”

ShiraUso

• Private
« Reply #20 on: 28 October 2019, 18:10:37 »
Hahaha unfortunately, the bad news was their dropship and entire tech crew being kidnapped (mentioned in the prologue).

The bad intel part is something I didn’t think of; will capitalise on that in chapter 4.
ドラゴンを死なせる

EAGLE 7

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: 29 October 2019, 00:11:55 »
   Ashon III is same problem lack of intel.
  You have information of a pirate raid, but that is not intelligence.
Anything from the planet is information until collaborating info from trusted sources recons and confirms veracity of information to become actionable intelligence.
    Then the intelligence has a shelf life.
Use your Drop ship to recon the pirate LZ, scan for pirate forces. Even if you have to orbit the planet multiple times to build a clear tactical picture.
Potentially spook the pirates into cut and run, or attempt to find and fix pirates so you can attack in detail.
    Bruisers can not afford to be blind sided,do they have a way to talk to local government?  Local militia?  Authentication codes?
No liaison to deconflict battle space to avoid green on blue “friendly fire”, or pirates false flag your bruisers with captured militia gear.

Do not take this as an attack on your story, I like what you have written and want to see more story. Otherwise I would not be writing this on my phone, looking forward to more of your story.
“ My Clan honor is bigger than your Dragon honor, and comes in 18 clan flavors.”

Esskatze

• Corporal
« Reply #22 on: 29 October 2019, 02:20:09 »
I agree with the above. I'm typing this on my phone, too, and it's damn annoying.

I want to point out another thing that is annoying me big time: the eye-rolling. Artemis Kurian is a Combine officer (not that she necessarily behaves like one), and she's the commanding officer of her unit at that. And yet she keeps rolling her eyes like a millennial teen girl hitting puberty. Hard. Am I the only one who finds that hard to stomach?

On the plus side, I like your writing style and the setting you came up with. It shows great potential.

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #23 on: 29 October 2019, 03:45:18 »
I agree with the above. I'm typing this on my phone, too, and it's damn annoying.

I want to point out another thing that is annoying me big time: the eye-rolling. Artemis Kurian is a Combine officer (not that she necessarily behaves like one), and she's the commanding officer of her unit at that. And yet she keeps rolling her eyes like a millennial teen girl hitting puberty. Hard. Am I the only one who finds that hard to stomach?

Well, she was possibly an officer. She remarks that her grades in her first year at the academy were not exactly stellar. She may not have even finished the academy. And she does strike me as rather young -  21 or so.

ShiraUso

• Private
« Reply #24 on: 29 October 2019, 06:50:24 »
   Ashon III is same problem lack of intel.
  You have information of a pirate raid, but that is not intelligence.
Anything from the planet is information until collaborating info from trusted sources recons and confirms veracity of information to become actionable intelligence.
    Then the intelligence has a shelf life.
Use your Drop ship to recon the pirate LZ, scan for pirate forces. Even if you have to orbit the planet multiple times to build a clear tactical picture.
Potentially spook the pirates into cut and run, or attempt to find and fix pirates so you can attack in detail.
    Bruisers can not afford to be blind sided,do they have a way to talk to local government?  Local militia?  Authentication codes?
No liaison to deconflict battle space to avoid green on blue “friendly fire”, or pirates false flag your bruisers with captured militia gear.

Do not take this as an attack on your story, I like what you have written and want to see more story. Otherwise I would not be writing this on my phone, looking forward to more of your story.

Thanks for the feedback; never thought of any of these aspects of intelligence, so the advice given is greatly appreciated :) (I’ve done much research on Battletech in general, but I’m still relatively new and not a big fan of conventional roleplay games so I still have a lot to learn)

Are dropships able to scan planetary terrain from orbit? What are the merits of scout mechs if dropships can do a better job at it? Still brainstorming on the next battle, and the contents of the future enemy force. Is a unit comprised of just 3 mechs and a token infantry force realistic given the setting? Also, do dropships have a command room for strategic planning or is it all just in the bridge?

At the moment they’re still at the jump point and are now beginning to make their way over to the planet, so there’s still several days till they reach the planet, with that in mind I’ll look to improve my level of thinking on a strategic layer.
ドラゴンを死なせる

ShiraUso

• Private
« Reply #25 on: 29 October 2019, 07:02:11 »
Artemis Kurian is actually 23-24, so young but yes I agree the eye-rolling might be a little excessive, so I’ll look to reducing it.

In her defence though, she was brought up under highly intensive family training under a father she has issues with. As a result, not only does she have an upbringing that breeds despisement for authority, she is often rather opinionated when it comes to battle tactics and combat in general, as during her time in the DCMS she found herself disagreeing with what she thought were inferior techniques and tactics, and was as it is always ahead of her peers in terms of skills. Her father was a major in the Sword of Light and thus as a mere lieutenant, Artemis often found herself under the shadow of her father and others in her bloodline, which doesn’t help when you’ve got a fiery attitude that doesn’t like being called a disappointment

Is it better if I share information that I plan to reveal later on in the story (like what I just said), or avoid doing so? I feel like such spoilers are not for everyone, but I would think some would enjoy seeing these insights early
ドラゴンを死なせる

EAGLE 7

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: 29 October 2019, 11:50:40 »
   Let me start off I am no wordsmith, but to much explaining lacks the suspense that can be built up with snap shots of a character’s personality.
    Maybe internal dialogue of Artemis chiding herself to not let her anger cause he to blow up and Harm relations with the planetary governor, when he attempts to dictate tactics to her....
    You can build her into a character who becomes “silent angry” vs. hot head and out of control, when dealing with authority.
With internal rants when dealing with authority figures who creep into her lane.
  “Pea brained, blow hard, bureaucrat, thinks he can advise professional soldiers because he read “Art of War” before he figured out what to do with the opposite sex, but can not determine what our key objectives or key terrain is other than “Defend Everything”.
    Slap brained stylus pusher can not even figure out that is why he wasted his militia, in penny packets. All he did was upgrade the pirates with his best militia equipment.
 Show not tell.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #27 on: 29 October 2019, 15:51:30 »
The Intruder is an example of a DropShip that has a planning center, but most don't.

Glad to see echoes of some of my earlier comments, too...  ^-^

ShiraUso

• Private
« Reply #28 on: 30 October 2019, 06:29:46 »
Update: revised Artemis’ backstory cos a lot of it was written during the really phases of planning for this story. She’s 22 as of 6 February 3041, having attended DCMS OCS at 17 (a year early thanks to her father’s connections), and joined the DCMS in 3037, and fought in the campaign of Sadachbia during the war of 3039, where she performed outstandingly in combat and was promoted to Captain. She resigned not long after because of her resentment of the DCMS for the loss of her family in the campaign of Alnasi. She then formed the Hell’s Juggernauts, which as mentioned in the prologue had a pretty crappy run.

Also, I’ve got an important set of exams that go till 27 November, so unfortunately progress will be halted till then :(

I‘m open to posting chapters in parts to receive feedback mid-chapters, but not sure if that’s a good idea, so I’ll do it if you guys want me to.
ドラゴンを死なせる

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Re: Blood and Scrap
« Reply #29 on: 30 October 2019, 15:34:08 »
Whatever works for your schedule...

EAGLE 7

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #30 on: 30 October 2019, 18:42:44 »
ShiraUso,
    Do what is best for you, at your pace, how you want.

Greedy S*B like me, enjoy your creativity. You owe us nothing, we owe you for sharing your story and coming here to share it.

Esskatze

• Corporal
« Reply #31 on: 01 November 2019, 02:13:56 »
Artemis Kurian is actually 23-24, so young but yes I agree the eye-rolling might be a little excessive, so I’ll look to reducing it.

You can have her suppress a sigh or close her eyes for a second. Whatever works in that scene. Also, the way you described her, she is tough as nails, so she definitely won't display any teenie traits.

Second: did I get that right that she herself founded that merc unit? Then all the more reason that she'd stay above petty emotions, with her background and all.

And third, I have a hard time understanding the dressing-down after that bar fight. Why exactly was she in trouble when in reality, she was the one being attacked?

Intermittent_Coherence

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 01 November 2019, 07:34:39 »
So.... How do their mech assignments work out?

Artemis Kurian has her WVR obviously.
The previous PHX pilot died, but the mech itself is intact barring extensive work on the head/cockpit.
Does Anders have his own mech?

ShiraUso

• Private
« Reply #33 on: 02 November 2019, 05:39:37 »
You can have her suppress a sigh or close her eyes for a second. Whatever works in that scene. Also, the way you described her, she is tough as nails, so she definitely won't display any teenie traits.

Second: did I get that right that she herself founded that merc unit? Then all the more reason that she'd stay above petty emotions, with her background and all.

And third, I have a hard time understanding the dressing-down after that bar fight. Why exactly was she in trouble when in reality, she was the one being attacked?

As someone that young I think she’ll have petty emotions regardless of her background. In my opinion and this is not a particularly informed opinion, I don’t think she’d need to be at an extra high maturity level; especially considering that the merc unit was basically a collection of experience but disgruntled DCMS soldiers.

I concede that the logic behind the dressing down might not have been entirely well-thought out — it made sense in my mind but I’ve had to revisit the relationship between Roy and Artemis so I think I might have to review the dressing down if it doesn’t make sense. Their mercenary unit is already going through a plethora of woes; so the last thing they need is their leader beating someone up and risking a PR disaster with potential clients that could pull them out of their mess, even if she’s not the aggressor she did beat the shit out of him... I could be wrong though, so feel free to discuss
ドラゴンを死なせる

ShiraUso

• Private
« Reply #34 on: 02 November 2019, 05:41:33 »
So.... How do their mech assignments work out?

Artemis Kurian has her WVR obviously.
The previous PHX pilot died, but the mech itself is intact barring extensive work on the head/cockpit.
Does Anders have his own mech?

It was kinda hinted to and would have been made clear before the next combat scene — Anders is taking over the PXH, since he doesn’t have a mech and Artemis happens to have one without a pilot. I think I might not have been clear enough in the dialogue so I might take a look at that
ドラゴンを死なせる

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #35 on: 02 November 2019, 05:58:47 »
OCS does beat some of the petty emotions out of people... More importantly, the selection process screens out the ones with the worst behavior.

ShiraUso

• Private
« Reply #36 on: 02 November 2019, 08:45:39 »
OCS does beat some of the petty emotions out of people... More importantly, the selection process screens out the ones with the worst behavior.

Mmm yeah but people do change once they’ve gotten freedom. Artemis already was quietly dissatisfied with the training she received from the DCMS, and resigning from the army only enabled the rebellious and defiant attitude
ドラゴンを死なせる

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #37 on: 02 November 2019, 10:10:28 »

Frustration with a hostile work environment puts those petty emotions right back where they came from, though - and then some.

And the DCMS is a hostile work environment for women at the best of times.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #38 on: 08 November 2019, 10:44:43 »
Pretty good so far, thanks for sharing
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

ShiraUso

• Private
« Reply #39 on: 11 February 2020, 19:24:17 »
Hi guys! Sorry for the long as crap silence, been on a rather long hiatus after my exams ended (oops)

Finished the next chapter, so it’s just waiting on a second draft

Speaking of which, looking for a beta reader, partially because Daryk is a little bit more busy now, and partially because I think it’s good to get a second opinion. Do drop me a pm if you’re interested in offering your help :D

Someone who’s particular over English is preferable, but not essential
ドラゴンを死なせる

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #40 on: 11 February 2020, 20:54:47 »
I'll try to get to it this weekend, but if anyone is less busy than me, please feel free!

ShiraUso

• Private
« Reply #41 on: 13 February 2020, 01:23:15 »
Looked through the kinds of Infantry weaponry available in sarna.net, and was quite disappointed by the lack of variance, so I’m gonna exercise some creative freedom and make some variance for Blood and Scrap.

I’m no weapons expert though, and I can barely understand half of what I read online without entering another rabbit hole (did so for planets to come up with some realistic planetary situations).

So I’m hoping you guys could help me out on this. Feel free to throw any gun designs for infantry weapons. The more detailed the better (but please explain it to me in a simplified manner :$ )

Specifically, need ideas for a weapon that would meet these specifications:
‘A reliable main battle rifle that has great accuracy. It’s equipped with many aim assisting features, and has a bullpup design.’
ドラゴンを死なせる

ShiraUso

• Private
« Reply #42 on: 16 February 2020, 22:15:19 »
Chapter 4

Ashon Zenith Point
Deep Worlds’ Collective
Outworlds Verge
30th January 3041

“AC/20 huh… when I was evaluating the cockpit damage, I did theorise it was caused by a high caliber impact…” Bryan stared blankly at the ground, his right hand stroking his chin thoughtfully.

The two were standing in the mech bay, in front of the docked Phoenix Hawk, its cockpit’s repairs mostly completed. Bryan had inquired about the cause of death of the mech’s late pilot, and Artemis had recounted the main details of the battle that ended Norman.

Her fingers were lightly grasping the pockets of her cargo pants — suppressing any emotions from spilling out from the recollection of Norman’s tragic death turned out to be more difficult than she had first anticipated when agreeing to their little deal.

“Moving on. It’s your turn, how much battle has Anders seen, exactly?” She bit her lower lip gently, her right hand slowly rising up to wipe away a growing tear with one subtle motion.

“Plenty. From what I understand he might have fought for and against each of the Successor States at some point in time, and he’s piloted a wide range of mechs. He’s usually rocking a heavier mech than his enemies though, so I’m not exactly sure how good he is.” Bryan’s gaze was wandering about the wall behind Artemis, his eyes twitching and tensing ever so gently.

“From what you understand? How long have you two been working together? You’re brothers, right?” Artemis raised an eyebrow, studying Bryan’s face carefully.

Bryan loosened his shoulder muscles and made eye contact. “Yeah. We were separated at a young age when our parents got divorced; I was raised in the Federated Suns with our father while he was with our mother in the Lyran Commonwealth. Our father was a mechtech while our mother was a mechwarrior, so you can imagine the difference in upbringings we received.”

“Mmm… I can imagine. Must have a huge ego disparity too…” Artemis’ hand fiddled with the flap of her right pocket thoughtfully, her eyes still focused on his face.

“Oh tell me about it. With your skillset though, I imagine you’ll be able to tone back his ego.” Bryan offered a smile.

“My… skillset? What do you mean? You’ve never seen me in combat before.” Artemis twitched, raising an eyebrow.

“No, but I looked you up before we left Comstar’s HPG reach, and you did beat Anders up.” Bryan pulled up his datapad to chest level, his eyes scanning through its contents. “Your combat reports are… interesting. Did you really manage to destroy a full medium lance all by yourself?”

Artemis was taken aback. She didn’t think she was leaving a trail that easy to follow. “I… uhh… you’ll be surprised how bad the pilots are in the outer periphery; you can pull off nearly anything if they’re stupid enough. H-how much did you manage to find?” Her voice faltered for a moment; she felt exposed. I don’t remember posting those combat reports anywhere, how does he have them? What else does he know?

“Couldn’t find detailed reports of the campaign in Sadachbia, but I know the medals you earned during it. Your kill count must be pretty high…” Bryan’s right hand casually stroked its index finger across the datapad at irregular intervals, his eyes occasionally looking to her to watch her reaction.

“Oookayyy. Point taken. Let’s not go further.” Artemis resisted the urge to lunge forward and yank the datapad out of his hands. Last thing she needed was everyone knowing her past; she always wanted to keep a low profile.

Bryan nodded slowly and returned the datapad to his side. “‘Mmm alright… in any case, I’m glad you’re on our side. You’re the sort of pilot I have nightmares of watching Anders getting his sorry ass killed by.”

Artemis offered a nervous smile. “Yeah thanks… just don’t mention any of this to anybody else, please?” Artemis took a quick look at her wrist watch to glance at the time. “Anyways, I need to get to the bridge right about now to discuss the planetside plans, you can join me if you want.”

Bryan nodded, and the two made their way out of the mech bay, through the hallways and into the bridge. Anders and Roy were already present, both standing around a holodisplay of Ashon III.

Both looked to Artemis as the duo entered the room. Artemis nodded to them both, and approached the holotable. Captain Samson, who was standing by his command chair, followed suit.

“Alright, what’s our available intel?” Artemis’ eyes looked to the holotable, which was currently displaying a frozen imagine of Ashon III.

Captain Samson pulled out a datapad, giving it a quick read before speaking. “The friendly planetside forces sent us a data dump on the planet. It has a thick atmosphere thanks to stronger magnetic fields present. It has 3 moons too. As a result of these factors, it has some extreme weather, with storms constantly raging across it. Ashon is a F class star, its mass 1.5 times that of Earth’s sun, and Ashon III sits on the edge of the hot end of the goldilocks zone. The equator is too hot for habitation, and the temperate regions have weather that literally tears things apart, so the inhabitants have colonised the north pole. Gravity is 1.2 times that of Earth.”

“Alright, what about the OPFOR? Any intel on them?” Artemis’ eyes studied the planet’s features. The frozen image showed a hurricane over one of the temperate region’s landmasses, a team of tsunamis converging on another landmass closer to the equator.

Roy piped up. “The OPFOR, a small pirate band known as the Shogun Trinity, has two Wasps and a Vindicator, run by three brothers hailing from the Capellean Confederation. Shogun Trinity made planetfall on the other side of the colony’s landmass, probably to avoid any AA guns or a storm at the time. Water is scarce on this planet; however they’ve got plenty of suitable compounds for water production, so most of their water supply is synthesised in factories. As a result, they’ve been pushing for the main industrial sector to get enough water to produce hydrogen fuel for an escape, plus the usual plundering and pillaging along the way. The militia’s lost two open plain battles with them, so their armour has sustained heavy losses.”

Artemis raised an eyebrow. “They have three mechs, and the militia threw armour at them twice?”

Roy nodded. “Thankfully, their colonel died in the second battle, and a major has taken over and engaged Shogun Trinity in guerrilla warfare. It seems a lot of the OPFOR’s armour has been wiped out, and their infantry has taken heavy losses. We should be able to get a straightforward mech battle out of them. I’m sure they’d be happy to have a standard mech fight at this point too.”

“Normally, I’d suggest doing a few sweeps over their position to scout them and get a few cheap shots in, but with the storms around the planet I’m not so sure.” Captain Samson pursed his lips, his eyes studying the north pole’s terrain.

“A scout sweep?” Artemis raised an eyebrow.

Anders turned to her, his eyes narrowing as he studied her facial expressions. “Yes… you know what that is… right?”

Artemis bit her lip. Oops. That might have been a good thing to have learned a little earlier… “Yeah yeah I do, just checking that we’re on the same page. M-moving on, I agree. Last thing we need is a wrecked dropship. I think we should probably plant ourselves right outside their camp, issue a challenge and give them hell.”

Anders immediately objected. “I disagree. The militia still has some force to speak of, so we should link up with them first, then knock on their front door and spook them. If a straight up mech showdown is what you want, you should at least first give them a reason to give it to you.”

“Mmm… alright then. We’ll do that.” Artemis kept her voice firm and unwavering, though her right hand clenched tightly at her cargo pants.

“So… what’s our landing site ma’am?” Captain Samson pulled up his datapad again, looking to Artemis.

Artemis looked to Anders. “Outskirts of the city nearest to their camp. They have a functioning rail road system, right?”

“Correct. I’ll punch the coordinates in, will that be all for me, ma’am?” Samson began tapping on his datapad, his gaze lifted from the commanding officer.

“Yes Captain, thank you.” Artemis nodded, and Samson took his leave.

Captain, how much experience in planetary strategy do you have?” Anders leaned in, his eyes staring at hers.

“I… I’ll leave the strategies up to you, I believe you’ve got more expertise in that. My forte is in mech combat and battle tactics.” Artemis bit her lip. Her eyes avoided eye contact and instead fixed themselves on the holo-display. Anders smiled, and turned to Bryan and exchanged looks with him.

“I don’t doubt that. As long as you can keep your pretty mouth restrained while I work my magic, we’ll get along just fine, captain.” He straightened up and made for the bridge’s door, his right hand reaching out and patting her on her right shoulder as he passed. She flinched.

A hand grabbed his arm. Artemis turned to see Roy grasping Anders’ upper forearm firmly. Roy stared him down intently. “She’s our CO. I strongly advise you respect her as such. Are we clear?”

Artemis looked away from the two of them, and closed her eyes. The feeling of her elevated heart rate, every nervous breath, and the tensed up muscles along her body pounded into her consciousness.

“... Yes sir.” Anders withdrew from Artemis’ shoulder, and Roy in turn released him. Anders looked to Bryan, then to Roy, then to Artemis, before silently leaving the room.

Artemis remained frozen in place, her head staring at the holo-table and her mind completely blank. The room remained silent for what felt like an eternity to her, before Roy and Bryan finally quietly took their leave.

As soon as the two had left the room, Artemis’ head drooped low, her high ponytail flipping over to dangle over her head, flowing down to rest on the holotable before her. Her fists clenched up tightly, and she took a deep breath. She sighed. She felt incompetent, unable to lead or even plan out strategies properly.

Do I even deserve my position? Where did I screw up… Her mind drifted back to her training under in the Combine Officer Cadet School, all those times she elected not to pay attention and argue with her superiors…

Well…

Shit.

<^>

A short nap and a lunch later, Artemis made her way over to the Infantry’s barracks. Her black combat boots clacked against the cold metal floor of the dropship, her gaze fixed on the large double door of the barracks ahead.

She laid her right hand flat against the cold steel door, and pushed it open slowly. The dim illumination of the corridor was quickly blasted aside by the dazzlingly bright lights of the barracks. The room was large and rectangular, with two long lines of bunk beds positioned perpendicular to the door.

Soldiers are sitting in groups near the bunk beds, the room filled with their chatter. Several look up to see the new arrival by the door, and eyes widened.

“Commander on deck!” The room freezes, every man in the room rising up from their place and standing at attention towards Artemis.

“As you were.” Artemis nods. She looks to Roy, who approaches her after placing his auto-rifle aside. Roy is dressed in olive green fatigues, his short jet black hair combed neatly to the right.

“Captain?” Roy raises an eyebrow — Artemis rarely dropped by to see the infantry.

Have all my failures been of my own doing? “Just… want to see how the boys are doing… I figure some change in what I do is appropriate. Have they been briefed? ” Artemis crosses her arms, trying her best to project a strong front.

“Yes Captain. I’ll introduce the platoons to you.” Roy took a step back, and his right arm gestured for her to step further into the barracks.

Artemis nodded silently. The two walked side by side deeper into the room. “What’s our numbers looking like after the last battle?” Artemis’ gaze wandered amongst the lounging men; some were cleaning their rifles and preparing assault packs, others were chatting, sleeping or even just boredly taking in the sight of her.

“I’ve had to fold the company into 2 platoons; one’s our Jump Trooper platoon consisting of 2 squads, and the other is an extra large foot platoon of 5 squads. Lieutenant Leon is in charge of the jump platoon, while I’m taking the foot soldier platoon.” Roy comes to a halt beside the jump platoon section.

The Jump Troopers are distinct from the rest of the infantry; their body language spoke of tougher discipline, much fewer of them were relaxing, with the majority of them making various preparations.

A man wearing an officer’s coat stood up, approaching the duo. “This is Lieutenant Leon, my second-in-command.” Roy gestured to him, who bowed slowly and carefully.

“How can I be of assistance ma’am?” Leon’s voice had a Japanese accent to it. His eyes were sharp and brimming with life, and his stature was tight and serious. Roy must have picked him up recently. He still seems accustomed to life in a Combine unit.

“Tell me about your platoon’s fighting capabilities.” Artemis crossed her arms, resting her weight on her right leg. Her eyes fixed themselves on Leon’s face.

“Our Jump Platoon acts as a support for our main infantry force, providing some skilled mobile firepower when needed. Our sniper squad is particularly effective with their laser rifles. All of our men have tangoed with mechs before too, and are more than ready to help take them on when called to do so.” Leon’s voice is sharp and crisp, his confidence at just the right level.

“Roy, what about your platoon?” Artemis turned to the captain, who straightened up at the mention of his name.

Roy made eye contact with Artemis. “My platoon brings the main firepower of our infantry. We’ve got no small number of veteran Combine ex-soldiers, and I’ve specially trained them to be quick with grenade launchers. We can bring you your boom on the move.”

“Hmm… that’s good to hear. It’s unlikely we’ll be able to find any Draconis Combine exiles out here though, so I’m giving you authorisation to recruit a wider range of men from the systems we stay in. We need our infantry numbers back up, and I doubt we can afford to be picky.” Artemis pursed her lips. Her eyes drifted away from Roy’s, considering her words carefully.

“Understood Captain, I’ll draw up a recruitment plan when we finish up with Shogun Trinity.” Roy nodded while Leon silently observed the exchange.

“Alright then, if you two don’t have anything else for me, that’ll be all from me.” Artemis exchanged bows with the two, before turning on her right heel and making her way out of the barracks.

She silently strode along the dull corridors, her mind pondering the past, in particular her time as a mercenary. Mistake after mistake. I’ve screwed everything up, haven’t I? The proud-ass mechwarrior prodigy who forged her own crappy destiny. Well done me.

Finally, she reached the mech bay. The automatic door slid open as she approached it, and she looked to the beautiful sight of her Wolverine standing alongside the repaired Phoenix Hawk. The two metal titans stood proud and tall behind the various docking clamps and maintenance platforms.

She felt a swell of pride wash over her once again, memories of the countless victories she claimed in that mech drowning out those of the failures. She took a deep breath, closed her eyes and clenched her fists by her side. A smile slowly curled into existence on her face.

None of it matters anymore. New unit, fresh chance. I’ll seize victory and drag it kicking and screaming back into my life, no matter what it takes. I’ll prove myself a worthy daughter of Tai-Sa Daiki Kurian.
« Last Edit: 16 February 2020, 22:29:10 by ShiraUso »
ドラゴンを死なせる

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #43 on: 16 March 2020, 20:05:24 »
S-22
https://www.deviantart.com/peterku/art/S-22-552914684
The S-22 is an older Bullpup design that been Manufactured/cloned across the Inner Sphere by a # of companies at different times.  Most are built from composite parts and high-stress metals and firing 4.5mm rounds at a rate of 600 rounds per minute reaching out 500m. The weapon has three firing modes - single-shot, 3 round burst-fire or full-auto - and has adaptable rail mounts able to accept various accessories, standard outfit is the MARS (Multi-purpose Aiming Reflex Sight) a 1.6× magnified telescopic holographic reflex sight and a reflex sight and a laser sight. The laser may be either visible or infrared and can be activated as need via a pressure switch, notch back-up sight 

A standard 40 mag is .2kg
wgt 3.7kg empty for the rifle
The Ammo is design purpose was to provide a flat ballistic trajectory along with armor-piercing capabilities with low recoil for the user to handle, even when fired fully automatically.
Range 1-7/8-16/17-30
Dam 3d6+3
Cost 150
Reload 15 per reload

Register