Author Topic: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz  (Read 157636 times)

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: What movies are we watching: it's all remakes anyway
« Reply #330 on: 23 November 2017, 14:47:57 »
I notice that you've excluded all his recent works from that list.  The MCU alone adds 6 more PG-13 movies where he doesn't use any profanity.  And looking at his IMDb page, he's taking more roles in family friendly titles rather than less in recent years.  Remember, he's said that for years he's been taking roles exclusively based on how fun he thinks they'd be, he's no longer taking roles just because he needs the work: if he wanted to do more roles that allowed him to swear a blue streak he easily could.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #331 on: 24 November 2017, 16:04:59 »
I did focus only on his stuff up to 95..  I'd have had a LOT longer posting if i included all the rest of his work..
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #332 on: 24 November 2017, 16:20:03 »
Fair enough.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #333 on: 25 November 2017, 02:04:12 »
One thing movie related i would love, is a site that has a comprehensive listing of all films and their body counts!

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #334 on: 25 November 2017, 07:05:42 »
One thing movie related i would love, is a site that has a comprehensive listing of all films and their body counts!

There is a site for on screen death counts, and who did them. I can't remember the site but it's a good site.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #335 on: 25 November 2017, 07:34:20 »
I'm sure it's out there.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #336 on: 25 November 2017, 08:56:53 »
Here it is. Its a pretty good site.

http://www.moviebodycounts.com/

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #337 on: 25 November 2017, 17:40:24 »

There is a site for on screen death counts, and who did them. I can't remember the site but it's a good site.
There are a # of them out there, but even using all 5 i found, there's still quite a few movies missing..
Like one has AvP, one had Alien, but neither had Aliens or alien 3/4. 
One had expendables 1, one had expendables 3.  None i saw had expendables 2..

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #338 on: 27 November 2017, 12:42:03 »
after looking for it i found old tv comedy series from 70s polish television czterdziestolatek
or in english being forty...forgot how funny and a bit tongue in cheek it was ....
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #339 on: 29 November 2017, 14:13:03 »
had a bit of an amusing romp with both kingsman movies...wish i could get my claws on the original graphic novel that they used for the idea
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #340 on: 29 November 2017, 16:02:18 »
I got to see both Kung Fury and J Men Forever this weekend, thanks to a friend, as well as the Danish Kaiju movie they premiered the launch of MST3K with.

It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #341 on: 29 November 2017, 17:07:16 »
Reptilicus was the name of that movie.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #342 on: 30 November 2017, 00:11:04 »
Just got done watching Atomic blond.  Good cast, great sound track, nice action scenes.  BUT other that, it was barely an average film.

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
Re: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz
« Reply #343 on: 30 November 2017, 17:26:03 »

The human characters in Covenant are all phoned-in. You literally care about no one. I'm not talking from an acting perspective either. I'm talking about poor script/dialog/history/telling/revealing. There's absolutely zero to care about. And the worst part; the human characters all act and behave in ways that make you feel as if the screen-play was written in such a way as to purposefully assault/insult to your intelligence. More than one true face-palm inducing moment. There are also lots of horror tropes sprinkled throughout. But, are especially heavy-handed toward the end of the film. Which, makes the tone feel cheap, and very disjointed from other segments where Covenant "feels" like a true Prometheus sequel. There's more here, but to remain spoiler-free, I'll stop.   

This mirrors a lot of my issues with the film.  Not all of them, but I will stay out of that list because several issues are spoilers.  But lord, the characters are all cookie-cutter idiots who apparently believe the lives of the very very few are worth risking the lives of thousands of others who don't get a vote.  And they all wonder off from the main party, even when they are aware of the danger hunting them.  Idiots.  DON'T SPLIT THE PARTY!

But on the other hand, like Prometheus, this is a truly beautiful film.   Visually astounding.

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #344 on: 01 December 2017, 17:10:19 »
Baby Driver.  Lord, this movie was a lot of fun. Light and airy, beautifully shot, based around a great sound track, violent, and bloody.  Imagine  La La Land as directed by Quentin Tarantino.  And most of the effects are practical.  A really fun, really good movie.

Black Sheep, the 2006 New Zealand comedy horror film, not the other one. Science goes awry (as it always does) and you end up with carnivorous sheep. If you need more than that, this is not the film for you.  Effects are done by Wetta, who did the LotR films for Jackson, and they have a bloody marvelous time, pun intended. It is gory, occasionally horrifying, but a lot of fun.   

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #345 on: 01 December 2017, 23:53:30 »
Baby Driver.  Lord, this movie was a lot of fun. Light and airy, beautifully shot, based around a great sound track, violent, and bloody.  Imagine  La La Land as directed by Quentin Tarantino.  And most of the effects are practical.  A really fun, really good movie.

The sound track i will agree was great.  BUT other than that, i thought it was just 'average'..

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #346 on: 02 December 2017, 00:16:09 »
The latest new movies (for a given value of "new") I've seen were the live-action Beauty and the Beast, Tangled, and Brave.

Yep.

...actually, Tangled and Brave weren't bad. B&tB was...meh.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #347 on: 02 December 2017, 18:07:32 »
Just saw  Thor III. Pretty good.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #348 on: 03 December 2017, 00:00:32 »
Caught Kidnaped with Hally Berry..  LOVED IT..

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #349 on: 03 December 2017, 12:34:34 »
Kingsman 2 apparently thinks the best way to solve the question of "where is the rest of MI6 when James Bond is saving the world" is to kill off every agent, M, Q, etc until only the 2 movie leads are left.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #350 on: 03 December 2017, 21:12:50 »
Went and saw Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri a few night ago. Really fantastic especially if you enjoy dark comedies; it's from the same guy that did In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #351 on: 04 December 2017, 04:29:23 »
Oh, and I also watched Wind River, because I love Jeremy Renner, and Liz Olsen seems very promising, and deserves to have a role in which she's not forced to put on a fake accent.

About the worst I can say is that Jeremy Renner's character is overpowered and has no development. Plus I dislike out-of-character director's notes at the ending which effectively haymakers the viewer in the face with the point of the movie.

Other than that, it was great, a modern Western that should prompt plenty of navel-gazing about family, life, death, Native Americans, etc. Very well-filmed and acted and (in my opinion) not overtly obvious with the Native American thing (up until the aforementioned director's end note).

add: 9/10 must watch IMHO
« Last Edit: 04 December 2017, 04:31:10 by Kidd »

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #352 on: 04 December 2017, 15:22:26 »
Oh, and I also watched Wind River, because I love Jeremy Renner, and Liz Olsen seems very promising, and deserves to have a role in which she's not forced to put on a fake accent.

About the worst I can say is that Jeremy Renner's character is overpowered and has no development. Plus I dislike out-of-character director's notes at the ending which effectively haymakers the viewer in the face with the point of the movie.

Other than that, it was great, a modern Western that should prompt plenty of navel-gazing about family, life, death, Native Americans, etc. Very well-filmed and acted and (in my opinion) not overtly obvious with the Native American thing (up until the aforementioned director's end note).

add: 9/10 must watch IMHO

I agree it was well acted, but it was also slow..

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #353 on: 08 December 2017, 02:04:42 »
Passengers, starring Crisp Rat and J-Law.

I find it a tad forced that the ship didn't have a watch system whereby at least 1 crewmember is awake at all times. Keep 2 out of 100 crew awake on a 100-year journey - come on, its only going to take 2 years out of their lifespans.

Other than that, it was a decent flick, but should have explored further what it means to be in their situation, alone with each other on a ship for 80 years.

I agree it was well acted, but it was also slow..
Character-based Western dramas are like that. But slow movies are good movies when it explores the inner thoughts/motivations of the characters as part of the movie's theme, rather than drawing out the movie for the sake of artificial tension or lack of anything to say...

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #354 on: 08 December 2017, 05:29:11 »
Passengers, starring Crisp Rat and J-Law.

I find it a tad forced that the ship didn't have a watch system whereby at least 1 crewmember is awake at all times. Keep 2 out of 100 crew awake on a 100-year journey - come on, its only going to take 2 years out of their lifespans.

Other than that, it was a decent flick, but should have explored further what it means to be in their situation, alone with each other on a ship for 80 years.

I gave it a skip. The general gist I got from it was "Pandorum, without the fun stuff."
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #355 on: 09 December 2017, 02:38:10 »
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 popped up on Netflix.  Gotta watch those Disney films while they're still there.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #356 on: 09 December 2017, 15:42:24 »
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 popped up on Netflix.  Gotta watch those Disney films while they're still there.

Ooo. There's something for later tonight.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #357 on: 09 December 2017, 21:17:09 »
I just watched couple movies (i hope tv movies counts...)

• Psych the movie - Yes it's based on the goofy sitcom.  The movie and it's cast never lost a beat.  Fun seeing the guys back at it again trying solve mysteries while being hilarious.
  • Star Wars - Attack of the Clones -  They were having marathon on TnT and i haven't watch the thing in years.  So what heck.  It was as bad as i remembered it, though i did mute the Anikin's wining scenes which made film more watchable.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Daemion

• Major
  • The Future of BattleTech
    • Never Tales and Other Daydreams
« Reply #358 on: 10 December 2017, 11:05:52 »
A late list, but the library can be a nice trove at times:

Hidden Figures (A good flick)
Tom Cruise Mummy (Interesting and kinda fun homage to the older monster movies. Would love to see some modern retros done like this.)
Hacksaw Ridge (Watched on Pearl Harbor day. Fitting.)
Batman Vs Superman special ed. (Improved the story by half an hour.)
It's your world. You can do anything you want in it. - Bob Ross

Every thought and device conceived by Satan and man must be explored and found wanting. - Donald Grey Barnhouse on the purpose of history and time.

I helped make a game! ^_^  - Forge Of War: Tactics

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #359 on: 13 December 2017, 02:08:59 »
Decided to rewatch Jurassic World.  Still liked it, but there were two things I really wish were changed: Zack (the older boy) really needed to stop doing his fish-face stare at every girl he sees, and Zara's death scene should have been removed.  They may have intended it to be funny, but it just came across as mean.

Register