Author Topic: 3052 MechWarrior 2nd Edition Campaign  (Read 3475 times)

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
3052 MechWarrior 2nd Edition Campaign
« on: 22 June 2022, 17:41:20 »
Idea I've been developing here, so feedback would help.

My current gaming group is cycling through various games over time, and I'm thinking of a MechWarrior/BattleTech campaign in the future. I'd like to use MW2e, even though it's 31 years old, and the books are only available on the second hand market because it's simple. It also integrates well with the main game, so I can use Alpha Strike if we need mass combat.

We start in May 3052, with the PC's being on the Lyran-Jade Falcon front. Things are just quieting down, as the Clans are fighting ComGuards on Tukayyid. The PC's are either mercs hired to stiffen conventional troops, or FedCom regulars doing the same. After character generation, and Tukayyid, I'll start changing events.

Based on archetype selection, I'll give them enough troops to fill out a lance/platoon of each type of force. So if we have a MechWarrior, Aeropilot, and Tanker, they'll get a three NPC MechWarriors, an NPC wingman, and three more tank crews. Big thing I'll be doing on my end, is real time campaign progression unless the choices require immediate actions.

Does this sound like something fun?

Also, here are my shower thoughts for factions on the world that I have yet to determine which planet it will be:

1. The Count: a retired MechWarrior whose heirs all perished in the Clan Invasion, he’s a respected administrator much beloved by the world. Assisted by his eldest son’s widow, few are willing to move out against him openly. In the OTU, he died in 3056. Pro-FedCom, but his support is wide but shallow.

2. Business League: the Merchant Baron leads this faction, who are largely established merchants and manufacturers. Loosely allied with the Count, but lost support with the Clans.

3. Accommodationists: an eclectic group including idealists, professors, and the like, they want to reach an agreement with the Clans before an invasion.

4. Democratic Action: standard Lyran “Democracy Now!” group. They’re scared into inaction, but may come out to play.

5. Lyran Nationalists: the other Baron’s group, composed of those against the FedCom and a number of localists. Currently on the downswing, they may have contacts with the Brotherhood of Cinnicantus, being on the front suddenly has given them some more standing.

6.ComStar. Because they're everywhere, and ComStar thinks they know all.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: 3052 MechWarrior 2nd Edition Campaign
« Reply #1 on: 22 June 2022, 19:09:51 »
Would that be a platoon or a company for an infantry PC? ???

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #2 on: 22 June 2022, 19:49:23 »
An Infantry PC would get a platoon of well trained and equipped troops, with the ability to get volunteers from the planetary militia. Of course, that could get them some issues with a morale, and drawn them into conflict...

I'm leaning to Esteros as the world they'd end up on. No garrison in the 3050s per Sarna, and above the Truce Line, so the occasional Jade Falcons or Steel Vipers might get on world.
M. T. Thompson

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 22 June 2022, 19:57:09 »
That sounds like a platoon of regulars and two platoons of militia, yes?  ???

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #4 on: 22 June 2022, 21:45:31 »
I'm thinking more like rangers or civil engineers; skilled guys the High Command would want to save from the Clans. If they break them up to train up some of the militia, it'll cause problems; will the cannon fodder be worth it? I'm at the beginning of the planning stages, and this thread is partially my notes.

And they wouldn't get a large unit of militia, they'd get reinforcements if needed from there.
M. T. Thompson

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 23 June 2022, 03:20:43 »
Well, the good news is Lyran armor jackets are Divisor 2 and cheap...  ^-^

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 23 June 2022, 06:11:54 »
Shameful plug ^-^

This may be helpful.
Mechwarrior 2nd edition optional rules by me.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6w9dz2ovnuc9zxj/Mechwarrior%202nd%20edition%20optional%20rules.pdf?dl=0

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
« Reply #7 on: 23 June 2022, 08:12:35 »
Fan rules should be in the fan rules section of the forums
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #8 on: 23 June 2022, 10:26:05 »
Well, the good news is Lyran armor jackets are Divisor 2 and cheap...  ^-^
Thanks for the idea. The hard part would be getting these guys who were little more than protocol soldiers, disaster relief, and backing up the local police ready to fight against the Clans.
Shameful plug ^-^

This may be helpful.
Mechwarrior 2nd edition optional rules by me.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6w9dz2ovnuc9zxj/Mechwarrior%202nd%20edition%20optional%20rules.pdf?dl=0
Thank you!
M. T. Thompson

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 23 June 2022, 17:00:43 »
Fan rules should be in the fan rules section of the forums

Was not sure how to link to the exact forum link location. Sorry.
And the file is to large to host on the forum.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #10 on: 23 June 2022, 17:30:45 »
Based on archetype selection, I'll give them enough troops to fill out a lance/platoon of each type of force. So if we have a MechWarrior, Aeropilot, and Tanker, they'll get a three NPC MechWarriors, an NPC wingman, and three more tank crews. Big thing I'll be doing on my end, is real time campaign progression unless the choices require immediate actions.

Does this sound like something fun?

I would probably not do this part.

Just have them create mechwarriors w/ different "specialties".

Maybe 1 is also a "scout" with some outside the cockpit "roguish" skills
Another is a "driver" w/ vehicle skill too.
Or maybe go so far as to have Vtol, ASF or DS Piloting for one of them.

Saves on all the NPC's use & keeps everyone using the same units on the tabletop.

Have them devote at least 1 L2 Skill & 1 L1 Skill to some secondary duty they have & want to develop.

That's just my 2cents.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 23 June 2022, 17:56:45 »
I would probably not do this part.

Just have them create mechwarriors w/ different "specialties".

Maybe 1 is also a "scout" with some outside the cockpit "roguish" skills
Another is a "driver" w/ vehicle skill too.
Or maybe go so far as to have Vtol, ASF or DS Piloting for one of them.

Saves on all the NPC's use & keeps everyone using the same units on the tabletop.

Have them devote at least 1 L2 Skill & 1 L1 Skill to some secondary duty they have & want to develop.

That's just my 2cents.

I have to agree on this one.
The quickest way to gut a Mechwarrior campaign before it starts is to have the PCs using different battlefield units.
For the clans you can get away with a mix of Mechwarriors and Elementals but that's the limit I would go with.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #12 on: 23 June 2022, 18:24:17 »
It really depends on your mix of TW vs. RPG (of your choice).  The infantry end of the business will absolutely rule the RPG side.

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #13 on: 25 June 2022, 08:28:19 »
While my roleplaying experience is rather truncated compared to my association with wargaming in general, I will say that my most positive BattleTech roleplaying experiences have rarely involved BattleMechs (Solaris VII notwithstanding--but a campaign there is not really focusing on the hardware, if you are doing it properly).

I suppose if I want to sit down and get in some good gaming, I'll gladly hop in the hotseat of my Wolverine-M. If I want to explore the universe, I prefer to do it from pebble-level.

EDIT: The point here, reinforcing Daryk's and victor_shaw's statements, is that mixing up such player jobs can lead to a disjointed playing experience without excellent planning and constant attention to various and profuse details.
« Last Edit: 25 June 2022, 08:31:45 by Failure16 »
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

victor_shaw

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: 25 June 2022, 09:37:10 »
While my roleplaying experience is rather truncated compared to my association with wargaming in general, I will say that my most positive BattleTech roleplaying experiences have rarely involved BattleMechs (Solaris VII notwithstanding--but a campaign there is not really focusing on the hardware, if you are doing it properly).

I suppose if I want to sit down and get in some good gaming, I'll gladly hop in the hotseat of my Wolverine-M. If I want to explore the universe, I prefer to do it from pebble-level.

EDIT: The point here, reinforcing Daryk's and victor_shaw's statements, is that mixing up such player jobs can lead to a disjointed playing experience without excellent planning and constant attention to various and profuse details.

Could not have put it better myself.  :thumbsup:
For example, my 4 best campaigns were. (All using MW 2nd for reference)
A. A group of Wolf Clan warriors in their sibko. Later went on to become a Watch team. (Mostly training camp antics and spycraft like adventures)
B. A ComStar Explorer Corps team investigating the outer rim of the Innersphere. (Mostly first contact with lost colonies and dealing with alien pathogens/Animals)
C. A Merc group where all the members where Company commanders. (For the most part just daily lives and some Battleforce combats)
D. The crew of the SLS Darkstar (A Vincent MK.39 Destroyer) during the Coup.

The one thing you will notice is, that few except the last two used any of the boardgames much.
With the Merc one, combat was more of an overview of quick large scale combat so the players could go back to RPGing the rest of the time.
And on the last one, all of the PC were part of the same battlefield unit.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #15 on: 25 June 2022, 11:36:53 »
Excellent examples, all!  :thumbsup:

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 25 June 2022, 22:21:33 »
If the PCs are on a world that is above the truce Line, then you need to determine if the planet has been conquered by the Clans or not, and if not provide a reason.

If the planet is pretty much worthless so that the Clans don't want it, then the PCs are going to have a difficult time working to rebuild the planet.  They might have to deal with Clan Merchant caste ships popping by to see if there is anything worth trading, but that might only be 1/year.  The good news is that if they can get the planet into better shape then the Merchant Caste will come by more often.  The bad part is that the Clan warrior caste will also hear bout it, and want to trial for the materials instead of trading for them.  While upgrading the planet, they will have to deal with the different factions on the planet that want to use the players to benefit themselves.

If the planet is under control of the Clans, then the PCs have to sneak onto the planet (dropped off during a raid?), and work to get the local forces to fight against the Clans.  Standard guerrilla campaign, and the Clans will not like it.  You also have to deal with your allies might see the PCs as a useful tool to betray and get into a better position for themselves.  So shoot the Clanners, and watch your back to make sure your characters don't become involuntary martyrs for the cause.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #17 on: 03 July 2022, 20:25:50 »
It's above the Truce Line, but two jumps away from a Clan controlled system. Back enough the Clans won't hit, but there's enough paranoia about invasion threats that some units are being forced into a provisional defense unit for a while.

I'm leaning to having the players as sub unit commanders dealing with an NPC CO and staff, that can drive them nuts. It may end up being kind of like Falkenberg's 501st Provisional Battalion inWest of Honor. Maybe they'll get pulled into a raid, or a low intensity conflict.
M. T. Thompson

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #18 on: 04 July 2022, 01:16:48 »
Sounds good!  Please keep us posted!  :thumbsup:

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 04 July 2022, 03:39:31 »
It's above the Truce Line, but two jumps away from a Clan controlled system. Back enough the Clans won't hit, but there's enough paranoia about invasion threats that some units are being forced into a provisional defense unit for a while.

I'm leaning to having the players as sub unit commanders dealing with an NPC CO and staff, that can drive them nuts. It may end up being kind of like Falkenberg's 501st Provisional Battalion inWest of Honor. Maybe they'll get pulled into a raid, or a low intensity conflict.

Or go on a training mission and just happen to be away from their base when the Clans attack?

Plus all the other activities going on preparing for an invasion: opportunities for graft, supplies getting mixed up, various thefts, people bribing their way off the planet, politicking to be in charge when the Clans invade, politicking to arrange your group's lack of supplies, etc.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #20 on: 21 July 2022, 20:18:17 »
Here's my continuing thoughts:

PC out of cockpit roles: faceman, tech boss, and investigator/spy

Mech Assignment: Put the points in, and you get to choose an Introtech design in the weight class OR roll on the table and you may get a design that's Star League Tech (Axeman, Caesar, Wolf Trap, Hermes, Raven), or on a second roll, get a 12. +1 for each point in Wealth, Well Equipped, or Title. It's early 3052, and there are few techs and parts that can fix Lostech away from major worlds; this isn't one. If it was a regular unit, I'd roll on the table in Era Report: 3052.
M. T. Thompson

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #21 on: 22 July 2022, 22:48:14 »
Here's my continuing thoughts:

PC out of cockpit roles: faceman, tech boss, and investigator/spy

Mech Assignment: Put the points in, and you get to choose an Introtech design in the weight class OR roll on the table and you may get a design that's Star League Tech (Axeman, Caesar, Wolf Trap, Hermes, Raven), or on a second roll, get a 12. +1 for each point in Wealth, Well Equipped, or Title. It's early 3052, and there are few techs and parts that can fix Lostech away from major worlds; this isn't one. If it was a regular unit, I'd roll on the table in Era Report: 3052.

Add in a doctor, and a couple of shooters.

Heck, just watch the Firefly tv series to get a good balance of people:
Inara - the face of the group for high-class environments
Jayne: sometimes you need a gun nut to make sure the rest of the group survives, point him at the enemy and wait
Kaylee - the tech you listed above
Mal: the face for the Streetwise rolls, maybe investigator that you listed above
River - plot hook?
Shepherd Book - a calm aide on board ship, great for making rolls to reduce panic among your troops; not the best at any skill, but can Aid Others
Simon - doctor as you listed
Wash - pilot, good for getting local maps and finding shortcuts for the team to use (i.e. ambush waiting on the main road, pilot finds a back route through an alley)
Zoe - a good shooter, but also good at planning

The key is to make sure all the characters have a chance to shine.

Had a Shadowrun game where I played a shooter, SMG/assault rifle user.  My job was to take out people from range or if needed in melee.  Someone else was playing a Troll that was a pohysical adept, had a backstory of playing in Urban Brawl, and carried a light machine gun.  The result was that my character was quickly relegated to being little more than a grenade launcher as the troll had better ranged and melee rolls, better toughness, and a more dangerous weapon for individual and group attacks.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #22 on: 24 July 2022, 14:58:54 »
The 4077th Provisional Garrison Battalion is going to be a Mech Company and an infantry company under an NPC CO who got kicked upstairs when a minor Steiner on Sevren got KIA who he supposedly could have saved against the Wolves in late 3051. Medical and shooters are largely going to be NPC's in this case.

I don't really have the player numbers in this case for a large cast to shine. It's all good advice to have. I'm going to do my best to keep them balanced! Maybe I'll pull something, and offer them secondary PC's.
M. T. Thompson

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #23 on: 24 July 2022, 16:30:06 »
Filling out the TO&E with names is a really good way to get to know "your" unit.  It's amazing how much difference names make.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #24 on: 25 July 2022, 08:31:12 »
The 4077th Provisional Garrison Battalion is going to be a Mech Company and an infantry company under an NPC CO who got kicked upstairs when a minor Steiner on Sevren got KIA who he supposedly could have saved against the Wolves in late 3051. Medical and shooters are largely going to be NPC's in this case.

I don't really have the player numbers in this case for a large cast to shine. It's all good advice to have. I'm going to do my best to keep them balanced! Maybe I'll pull something, and offer them secondary PC's.

Make some of the 'single-purpose' characters into NPCs.  A medic can be made an NPC easily, because their job is to hide and patch people up.  Your face is likely going to have to focus on nobility, as that is where most of the Mechwarriors tend to go.  A tech might be an NPC, and allow you to control how fast things happen, if a Mech is available, etc.  The pilot/mapper could be an NPC who lets you railroad the PCs as needed, giving them two of your choices. Zoe might be an NPC as she is not as good with guns as the Jayne, and not as good at leadership as your Face.

So the Firefly crew gets changed to:
PCs:
Inara - the face of the group for high-class environments
Jayne: sometimes you need a gun nut to make sure the rest of the group survives, point him at the enemy and wait

NPCs:
Kaylee - the tech you listed above
Mal - the face for the Streetwise rolls, maybe investigator that you listed above
River - plot hook?
Shepherd Book - a calm aide on board ship, great for making rolls to reduce panic among your troops; not the best at any skill, but can Aid Others
Simon - doctor as you listed
Wash - pilot, good for getting local maps and finding shortcuts for the team to use (i.e. ambush waiting on the main road, pilot finds a back route through an alley)
Zoe - a good shooter, but also good at planning

Register