Author Topic: No maintenance kits for some weapon types?  (Read 1628 times)

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
No maintenance kits for some weapon types?
« on: 22 August 2022, 15:22:40 »
AToWC stipulates that, when using weapon maintenance rules, an appropriate maintenance kit is either practically or literally required to maintain any weapon. However, there only seems to be maintenance kits for energy, ballistic, and gauss weapons. This kind of leaves gyrojets, melee weapons, bows, and thrown weapons out in the cold. Am I missing something, and if not, what have been your go-to compromises?
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

Richard S.

• Master Sergeant
  • Coming through
Re: No maintenance kits for some weapon types?
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2022, 18:19:11 »
You can maintain weapons without a kit, the check just suffers a penalty (page 158, AToWC). How much of a penalty is seemingly left in the GM's hands.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2022, 18:41:48 »
I'd throw gyrojets in with ballistic weapons, and rule the others can be maintained with a Basic Tool Kit.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2022, 23:13:46 »
AToWC stipulates that, when using weapon maintenance rules, an appropriate maintenance kit is either practically or literally required to maintain any weapon. However, there only seems to be maintenance kits for energy, ballistic, and gauss weapons. This kind of leaves gyrojets, melee weapons, bows, and thrown weapons out in the cold. Am I missing something, and if not, what have been your go-to compromises?

I dunno how others would rule it, but a Gyrojet would be a slightly more expensive Ballistic weapons kit.  (much like they were in real life).

For more exotic weapons, a certain amount of GM discretion needs to be used.  A thrown weapon, for example, is by definition disposable, at most you'll have a vise or locking pliers and a whet-stone or something similar.  Knife maintenance kits would be rather a fractional cost item unless the blades are made of something exotic, or they're vibroblades, in which case your electronics maintenance kit is your friend.

thing is, no RPG system in existence can cover EVERY eventuality a player can come up with, there's simply not enough room in any book that might actually be affordable to cover every eventuality even inside the game-system.

hell, just to maintain the rifles, pistols and shotguns I presently own, my "cleaning kit" is made up of SEVERAL commecial kits, plus individual items purchased separately, and costs slightly less than the array of automotive tools I've accumulated from life, family members, and the odd garage sale.  (When I moved into my current house, I had two big totes of the stuff for the cars, and a couple big plastic totes full of gun cleaning and low-end maintenance...and My collection's not that comprehensive-I still run into things I don't own and do need, and I've been at this with the gunssince the late teens and am just shy of fifty now...)

Because RPG developers CAN NOT cover EVERY aspect, there are workarounds for Game-masters and players.  I've got a character in a D&D game who's something called an "Artificer" and my GM has been making me 'work up' the character's methods and procedures, because even with all the printed materials in general, there are things I do with this character that fall outside in the gaps of what is published.  (Katyana is currently working on refining potassium nitrate.  He made me-the-player dig up obsolete reference books for basic organic chemistry, then work up how she's doing it, all so that I can have her 'Wand of Blasting!!!" function without being a true magical item.)

If you're the GM, engage your players in describing WHAT they think the kit should contain, and how much it should cost will kind of...work itself out?
If you're the player, a little book-work in the real world to find appropriate items and devices, you present your idea to your GM, with your reasoning, and most of the time, they'll tweak a little bit on it and let it roll if the book doesn't have a nice catalogue entry for it.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 21 September 2022, 23:19:44 »
Can we compare the costs (and number of uses) for a cleaning kit to the cost of the weapon?  That would give a useful value, where each month the weapon requires X percent of its base cost to maintain.

You might even get a discount if using lower-tech kits produced using higher-tech stuff.  I.e. a bow and arrow maintenance kit (for TL F weapons) produced using TL D industry will cost less than that same bow and arrow kit producing using TL F industry (TL A vs TL F)

It also means you can have your infantry pretending to be Aloy while hunting drone Mechs and Battlearmor