Author Topic: Battle of Sydney - Babord 2014  (Read 4070 times)

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
Battle of Sydney - Babord 2014
« on: 18 August 2014, 11:14:35 »
Once again, the French BT players held their yearly gathering in Carbon Blanc, near Bordeaux - hence the name, BAttletech-BORDeaux  ;) - last week end. This time, the theme was the liberation of Sydney from the WoB forces. Mars and Stenka had requested from meto elt tham handle things as they wanted, but to supply some technical and logistical help. So that everyone knows where praise needs to go  :)

Since Stenka had brought a better camera, I've let him run the picture taking, allowing myself to be more engrossed in the game. The terrain was huge, lots of maps and paper buildings painstakingly built by Mars. There were 2 big parrallel tables 810 hexes long each. On the first day, we tried to coordinate between both halves, but well, we ran independant on day 2 as it was a bit cumbersome.

So, what happened? Well, not to impinge on other players' bit, here is what I saw, and did...
First, let me tell you I was handling the Davion part of the coalition force, there were another 2 Steiner players and another 2 Kuritas against 3 WoB players plus Mars and Stenka. WoB forces started hidden, which led to a lot of paranoia among coalition forces (actually, but for me who rushed headlong into the only sizable Wobby contingent near our startline - wasn't I glad I had taken a Beagel probe alongside!!!  >:D)

My whole force prior to the ambush (Both Omnis are carrying some flamer Cavaliers)... I felt a bit light when I stumbeld into a Marauder, a White flame and a Grand Crusader, with some BA support... Ennemy forces are a bit behind that grey building in the top right corner, tehy are also supported by a monitor.

All the more since artyllery was stareting to fall... Arrow IV hit right in the hex of my Falconer (the Drac Daykiu also shared the pleasure)

My call for help did not go unanswered. The Drac player on my right, Patrick,  sent some forces to assist, and the WoB mechs pulled away, leaving me time to handle the monitor and the common grunts hidden in the objective. And that was all for day 1.

On day 2, we decided to cut on the reinforcements allowed for both sides, go independant for each table, and to run a WoB counterattack, including Mars' Omega

Some players had also not been able to attend, and Van Gogh was left in charge of the forces in front of me and Patrick. His force was smaller, but on the whole more mobile. I got lucky, and could catch the Marauder in a risky move. This ended with a third of the WoB being cut off from the rest, and while they were facing part of Patrick's force, we were able to whittlem them down and destroy them at the cost of my Falconer, while Patrick mlost an Atlas on the other side of the  advance.

In the end, the Wobbies were flanked and overwhelmed, leaving but a single White Flame facing the horde rushing at him

This could only end one way, of course, but he died very gamely. Now, what happened on the other table will be for the other GMs to tell as they were both there...  ;)

Hanse Davion is my shepherd.
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender! Winston Churchill, June 1940

stevothedivo

• Corporal
    • Books of War Publishing
Re: Battle of Sydney - Babord 2014
« Reply #1 on: 19 August 2014, 00:29:20 »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO - you cannea play with unpainted minis!
Every time someone plays with an unpainted miniature, another Justin Beiber fan is born somewhere - every gamer knows that!
 >:D
Jokes aside the terrain looked the business, when you wrote Battle of Sydney I thought you literally meant a battle IN Sydney - I'd have flown over for it, Bordeaux is kind of out of the way.
I'm not uber familiar yet - still catching up with the fluff - who holds Terra at this stage? I run a 'Merc Company hailing from the city of Eureka on the planet of Alula Australis. Isn't ComStar based in Sydney at one stage?

Great photos, nice report - a good olde kick up the bum of them WoB fanatics never hurt anyone, crazy Jihadists that they are
Thanks for sharing
 :)

Dogs lick their balls because they can. Period.
Come join in the fun at BattleTech Downunder, help grow the community and line up some games!

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
« Reply #2 on: 19 August 2014, 10:13:28 »
The unpainted minis were not mine, so I share no responsability in all the impending doom  ;D
Now, this is the problem of having a world spanning board, as so much cool things seem to happen on the other side of the globe... But if you can make it here some day, we'll be happy to run a game with you.  ;)
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender! Winston Churchill, June 1940

stevothedivo

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 19 August 2014, 10:26:45 »
Je vous remercie beaucoup mon ami!
Je vais garder cela à l'esprit.
 O0

Come join in the fun at BattleTech Downunder, help grow the community and line up some games!

Van Gogh

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 19 August 2014, 15:15:05 »
Hi there, Van Gogh speaking.

There are a couple of stories to share about those days, so please grab a comfy chair, a cup of home-made coffee, and first, hear about... the Heartbroken Nightsky Pilot.
Yes, Foxbat managed to get in position for perfect hatcheting four times with his (and everyone's) favorite jumpy medium. All four times, his target escaped him (first, double 1s on a piloting roll after the fire the resolution phase, then all the targets exploded before the physical attack phase). The hatchet was then hit by a lone light gauss round, the only damage the Nightsky took.
Then, my brother, playing with another Nightsky on the other table, reported he succesfully chopped both command pieces of his vis-a-vis: a Mars, and a OMGHuge Omega.

I love this game  ;)
« Last Edit: 19 August 2014, 15:31:36 by Van Gogh »

stevothedivo

• Corporal
« Reply #5 on: 19 August 2014, 15:32:27 »
Classic gold!
 ;)
However I must up your ante there my fellow 'Warrior as in my first ever game I managed to destroy an Atlas' AC20, commanded by a 'Warrior with Piloting 4, by falling over three times (twice snake eyes, once a 1 and a 2).
Belly laughs all around, however I don't think I'll live that one down anytime soon (even last night during the Rise of the Revenant 4th Succession War scenario the lads took every opportunity to bring it up in a tongue-in-cheek manner "sure you want to roll those dice?"/"Maybe you should roll them one a time"/"Piloting skill 4, you can't possibly fail!"/"No one can fail a Piloting 4 roll")
With friends like these, as they say...
 >:D

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
« Reply #6 on: 21 August 2014, 02:58:30 »
Well, I have "updated" the Fanfic topic [skull]
Going to speak tehn about that Osiris, ain't I ? eh eh eh >:/!

Van Gogh

• Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 21 August 2014, 10:30:31 »
There's also that Firestarter, whose general contribution to the fight can be the base of countless stories  ;D.

stevothedivo

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: 21 August 2014, 11:39:08 »
Pray tell, I recently acquired one and a little at a loss on its tactical value.
Any advice on its use (both in CBT and AS)?

Alex Keller

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 21 August 2014, 17:22:13 »
Is the Omega mini worth its price tag?   ???

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #10 on: 22 August 2014, 01:45:38 »
Cool! O0

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
« Reply #11 on: 22 August 2014, 04:20:43 »
Is the Omega mini worth its price tag?   ???

Absolutely! You won't paly it often, but it's cool to have that outstanding mini in your collection. BTW, this one is not mine, I still need to assemble and paint my copy.

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
« Reply #12 on: 22 August 2014, 04:27:30 »
Cool! O0

Hopefully we'll see you next year, Luigi!   :)

agen2

• Captain
  • Il sobillatore.
« Reply #13 on: 22 August 2014, 05:34:04 »
Hopefully we'll see you next year, Luigi!   :)

I hope so,I was reading on the french board that you are going to make the next event with Clan factions isnt'it?

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
« Reply #14 on: 22 August 2014, 12:19:08 »
Well, there is some talk about it, but frankly it's very early, it's not set in stone yet  ;)

Mars

• Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 01 September 2014, 08:52:00 »
My Omega is painted in full metal is a style of course, but he is too cool
In terms of his game is balanced bv By cons I must play as a team otherwise it will not do much.
I say that because no one was covering his truck LRM backlog hexagon of six and was networked with a oscut .. not far from me this vile idea ...

Ps any decapitation mech with a gauss was definitely not wanted...... hunk hunk hunk
On n'arrête pas de jouer en vieillissant, on vieillit en arrêtant de jouer.