Author Topic: Actual Physical Crowns?  (Read 2642 times)

Auberan

• Corporal
Actual Physical Crowns?
« on: 29 May 2020, 12:26:27 »
I've been trying to do some research on this, but unfortunately I've never been able to completely recover all the Battletech paperbacks that I dumbly got rid of when I was a teenager.

Do any of the Successor Lords wear actual crowns? I suppose I'm thinking more in the lines of the Archon, or the First Prince, since I think it is a more European thing, and the Captain-General isn't technically a monarchy.

Though that does lead me to a second question, can anyone think of a reference to a Duke or other noble titled character wearing something like a circlet?

Even if these are only for formal court occasions, it's been something that has been niggling at me.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
Re: Actual Physical Crowns?
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2020, 12:41:56 »
i don't ever remember hearing about crowns but no one went harder than janos who tattooed the emblem of his realm on his forehead.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 29 May 2020, 14:25:18 »
i don't ever remember hearing about crowns but no one went harder than janos who tattooed the emblem of his realm on his forehead.

Which is one of the top ten things that a BattleTech character has done.

Wasn't there some business about Julian Davion being crowned? Probably in Shattered Fortress.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2020, 15:00:43 »
Picture from Handbook Major Periphery States shows the Magistrix wearing what could be interpreted as a crown.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

dgorsman

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2020, 15:09:09 »
... or catgirl ears.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2020, 15:21:29 »
Page 44 of Same Book - Looks to be a crown
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Nibs

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2020, 15:45:41 »
... or catgirl ears.

This is canon now.

Auberan

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: 29 May 2020, 15:46:58 »
Wasn't there some business about Julian Davion being crowned? Probably in Shattered Fortress.

The phrase is used a few times with the FedSuns, but I'm not sure if it's literal or just figurative.

That is good to know about the Magistrix, I hadn't even thought of them, so I some evidence to soothe the niggle =)

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2020, 16:11:26 »
i would presume that like with the real world royalty today, there are crowns and regalia for official functions that call for it, but the royal family mostly just wear normal clothing for their day to day activities and events.

i would presume there are probably two crowns.. large elaborate things for the 'ritual' events (like recognizing one's heir, the assumption of the throne/coronations, etc), and then smaller more minimalist versions for formal events where a crown is required by tradition but trying to wear several pounds of expensive metal and gems on your head for hours would be to difficult to do.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2020, 00:27:10 »
I’m reminded of the great line from Warrior: Coupe, where Hanse is thinking to himself while he’s mounting up to take on what he believes to be a Death Commando raid on New Avalon:

“They've brought the war to me because they've forgotten. They've forgotten that before I became Prince of the Federated Suns, a command couch was my throne, a neurohelmet was my crown, and the battlefield my domain. After tonight, no one will ever forget that again.”
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2020, 00:39:07 »
In Assumption of Risk, Victor holds a simple platinum circlet and muses how Ryan Steiner would kill him to get that crown.

I seem to recall another scene where Katherine wore a circlet like that too, but I can't find it.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 30 May 2020, 00:47:29 »
Kamea Arano is canonically depicted with what could be described as a crown.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #12 on: 30 May 2020, 22:26:37 »
In Assumption of Risk, Victor holds a simple platinum circlet and muses how Ryan Steiner would kill him to get that crown.

I seem to recall another scene where Katherine wore a circlet like that too, but I can't find it.

Wasn't it in the cinema scenes from Mechcommander 2?

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #13 on: 30 May 2020, 22:36:31 »
I’m reminded of the great line from Warrior: Coupe, where Hanse is thinking to himself while he’s mounting up to take on what he believes to be a Death Commando raid on New Avalon:

I love that line/scene.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 01 June 2020, 02:11:47 »

Made me think of these scenes from the web comic Girl Genius
http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20080303
http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/comic.php?date=20080305

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 01 June 2020, 09:02:59 »
 If the Captain-General did, it would be provincial regalia. I doubt a Coordinator would wear a crown either.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #16 on: 01 June 2020, 11:15:57 »

Not a crown scene, not a violence action sceee, but a scene I loved in that triology.

Morgan & Dan showing up at the Tharkad ball & Morgan having to pull out the letter again & Dan finally asking what it was.

I just love the line.  The impact of what that letter entailed.

Deny this man, NOTHING.
Signed Archon Katrina Steiner
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo