Author Topic: The Free Worlds League: Wolf Empire Reunion Tour  (Read 55269 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: The Free Worlds League: Wolf Empire Reunion Tour
« Reply #60 on: 23 April 2022, 00:32:18 »
But what about the Kukri?

Oooo, good catch!  better than a pistol even.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #61 on: 23 April 2022, 01:33:08 »
Anyone else incredibly excited for Empire Alone? O.O

Amazingly so.

The idea that the FWL is going to be the first faction to get a significant win over the Wolf Empire is hilarious
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

The_Big_Red_Bear

• Master Sergeant
  • Purple Bird is Strong
    • The Big Red Youtube Channel
« Reply #62 on: 23 April 2022, 01:54:41 »
Amazingly so.

The idea that the FWL is going to be the first faction to get a significant win over the Wolf Empire is hilarious

I dunno if we're gonna win. But I hope we do. lol
I Am Big_Red_40TECH and so can you.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #63 on: 23 April 2022, 05:53:47 »
Hardly, the idea of a Rimward invasion of the Inner Sphere remains one of the more interesting Clan Invasion scenarios, precisely because the Clans could have received some setbacks. Some will tell you no, but to be frank, those worlds were fortified to the teeth. Authors would have thrown in their share of Thaddeus Marik scenarios for the sake of the plot.

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #64 on: 23 April 2022, 17:36:23 »
I really hope the FWL takes back Keystone.  It's a huge 'Mech manufacturer and now that it's making ClanTech...
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #65 on: 23 April 2022, 17:41:50 »
i did the FWL ground force RATs for this one so if you like them, send me praise and money. if you don't, all blame goes to greekfire for not fixing my tire fire  :D

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
  • Is this the real life...
« Reply #66 on: 23 April 2022, 18:10:30 »
The RATs were the best part of Tamar Rising to me, so I'm looking forward to seeing them. Especially because there hasn't been a good Clan Protectorate RAT, so I am looking forward to getting a more usable one for them.
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84031.0

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #67 on: 23 April 2022, 18:16:19 »
i did the FWL ground force RATs for this one so if you like them, send me praise and money. if you don't, all blame goes to greekfire for not fixing my tire fire  :D
Designing RATs is by nature playing with fire, so imperfections will always happen. Having imperfect units, with much messiness, is a feature with any RAT. It forces players to think, which is a positive. I always liked draft games in cards for similar reasons.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #68 on: 23 April 2022, 18:31:14 »
The RATs were the best part of Tamar Rising to me, so I'm looking forward to seeing them. Especially because there hasn't been a good Clan Protectorate RAT, so I am looking forward to getting a more usable one for them.

I did not do that one so it will probably be excellent  ;D

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Walrus Gumboot

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #69 on: 23 April 2022, 20:54:20 »
I dunno if we're gonna win. But I hope we do. lol

I believe that the Marik-Stewart expats will seize some worlds, pick up some seats, Nicole will have to formalize hostilities to keep power, the Wolf Empire in the FWL/Lyran zone will stabilize into a going concern under the pressure, and then things stop coming up FWL.

Well, we had a good run this go-around. Held Bolan for a time. Until next time.

delox87

• Recruit
« Reply #70 on: 23 April 2022, 23:28:15 »
I get the feeling, based on Tamar Rising, that the FWL itself won't be grabbing territory.  I can totally see there being a rebirth of Stewart, and one that hates all the powers around them for being the center of conflict in the setting.., Marik-Stweart loss to Republic and then reinvaded by M-S.  Lyran/Wolf invasion and the death of Anson.  They could be  the "Tamar Pact" of this setting.  If the overall idea of these books are to have a place for small units to have an impact on the setting, I can see a non-unified Silver Hawks states emerging.  I would love to see the Spirit Cats/Nova Cats be loyal to the FWL, but I have a bad feeling about them expanding and then leaving to be a part of the IlClan future.  I also fear that the CC, with all those troops massed near Terra, that they could easily make a left turn and crush the League.  Just my two cents...

Middcore

• Lieutenant
  • The Inner Sphere could always use more Heroes!
« Reply #71 on: 24 April 2022, 15:29:11 »
Until next time.

So, 30 years real-time then?  ;) ::)
I write BattleTech fanfics. You can find them all on ScribbleHub, and I welcome your comments.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #72 on: 28 April 2022, 16:02:43 »
Anything that advances the fiction and plot is good by me.

That being said I am looking forward to it because I’m very interested to see the way the Wolves OZ will fare and how different it is from the Falcons OZ. I mean for one: they won….

But getting some cool new Clan-tech to the FWLM in addition to what they already have is pretty cool

The Eagle

• Captain
  • This is what peak performance looks like!
« Reply #73 on: 30 April 2022, 22:37:34 »
Ermagerd.  Have you seen the prototyped Hermes II model?  Because I think it's pretty sweet.  I know it's not usually a popular choice, but it's always possessed a soft spot in my heart as a League staple.  The biggest change is that instead of the AC/5 being in a center-line mount, it's in a canonically-accurate side torso mount.  The flamer nozzle is rectangular instead of round, too, which was surprising but I'm okay with it.
RIP Dan Schulz, 09 November 2009.  May the Albatross ever fly high.

Hit me up for BattleTech in the WV Panhandle!

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #74 on: 01 May 2022, 14:49:26 »

That being said I am looking forward to it because I’m very interested to see the way the Wolves OZ will fare and how different it is from the Falcons OZ. I mean for one: they won….

But getting some cool new Clan-tech to the FWLM in addition to what they already have is pretty cool

While the Wolves indeed won and took the center of the IS they took literally every unit with them (and too heavy casualties). Which means a huge swath of real estate is left unguarded or rather guarded by the ilusion of power (and the silence of the stars aka no HPG). If their neighbours would realize it we would get WOZ 2 electric bugaloo but this time 2 or 3 Great houses duking it out

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #75 on: 01 May 2022, 17:59:51 »
True… but Empire Alone mentions a Star Colonel Othar taking the helm. This would seem to indicate that theirs at least some form of organization left for whatever remained that may or may not provide some determined resistance. Also Alaric is more likely to send units back than Stephanie Christu would at the current time (or at least in my opinion).

It’s definitely going to mimic ‘Tamar Rising’ but I am interested to see the differences between the two.

Also on a different note: finally assembled my Juliano! All by myself (friends helped me build different ones but I built it alone lol). Those shoulder guards are weird! But I think it came out cool. Still gotta base and paint it but when I’m done I’ll throw it up in the mini section.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #76 on: 01 May 2022, 18:43:42 »
While the Wolves indeed won and took the center of the IS they took literally every unit with them (and too heavy casualties). Which means a huge swath of real estate is left unguarded or rather guarded by the ilusion of power (and the silence of the stars aka no HPG). If their neighbours would realize it we would get WOZ 2 electric bugaloo but this time 2 or 3 Great houses duking it out

Sibkos graduate frequently.  Sibko counts increased since the Black Out in 3132 . . . along with a huge number of freebirths to incorporate.  They will have more than the Falcons did in their OZ while not leaving their sibkos out in the cold.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Geont

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #77 on: 02 May 2022, 03:09:07 »
If we are good at something, it's civil war. So at least FWL part of WE should taste that. That's what I expect. Someone has to back these rebels and it could be someone from FWL thus their involvement being hinted. The only thing is that the Wolfs probably treated the general populace better than Jade Falcons (wasn't that hard, right?). For now, we can speculate but I hope that I will know before my birthday near the end of July.
Born in Czechoslovakia and living in Czechia (or Czech Republic).

Fan of FWL

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #78 on: 02 May 2022, 11:11:04 »
Sibkos graduate frequently.  Sibko counts increased since the Black Out in 3132 . . . along with a huge number of freebirths to incorporate.  They will have more than the Falcons did in their OZ while not leaving their sibkos out in the cold.

How many sibkos did the Wolves take with them from their old occupation zone? The Empire itself was formed just a few years before Alaric took Terra. So I assume the newest sibkos won't fill out the roster of the Empire's touman or rather garrison forces (unless someone is really keen on putting under 16 years olds on the battlefield). Yes there are freeborns but training Mechwarriors isn't exactly a quick and dirty job (unlike infantry and tank crews). And let's say there are freeborn garrisons I would assume most of them are Leaguers who might rather turn coat when the League comes knocking (somehow akin to how RimWorlders turned on their "komissars" when the SLDF took the Rim worlds during the SL civil war.

Walrus Gumboot

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #79 on: 02 May 2022, 12:00:38 »
If we are good at something, it's civil war. So at least FWL part of WE should taste that. That's what I expect. Someone has to back these rebels and it could be someone from FWL thus their involvement being hinted. The only thing is that the Wolfs probably treated the general populace better than Jade Falcons (wasn't that hard, right?). For now, we can speculate but I hope that I will know before my birthday near the end of July.

Being good at civil war opens up a hazard- a lot of these planets are problem worlds (the Tamarind-Abbey one that the Wolves have is certainly one; the Brett-Mariks are well rid of it). A reconquest effort runs a real risk of making a Wolf-aligned exFWL successor nation in the old Marik-Stewart Zone. I'd imagine the Silver Hawks could do well by the policy but I don't see anybody else doing that.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #80 on: 02 May 2022, 12:29:43 »
How many sibkos did the Wolves take with them from their old occupation zone? The Empire itself was formed just a few years before Alaric took Terra. So I assume the newest sibkos won't fill out the roster of the Empire's touman or rather garrison forces (unless someone is really keen on putting under 16 years olds on the battlefield). Yes there are freeborns but training Mechwarriors isn't exactly a quick and dirty job (unlike infantry and tank crews). And let's say there are freeborn garrisons I would assume most of them are Leaguers who might rather turn coat when the League comes knocking (somehow akin to how RimWorlders turned on their "komissars" when the SLDF took the Rim worlds during the SL civil war.

The official declaration of the Empire was in 3143 or so when Alaric became Khan after winning his Bloodname . . . the Wolves moved out of their OZ around 3136 or 3137, have to dig out MWDA novel Masters of War to be sure.

They took enough sibkos to fill 3 galaxies to do a Trial of Position training op under the saKhan to strike at the Lyran/Republic border when Seth & Alaric raced for Tharkad.  Further, neither FM or ER mentions the Falcons, Horses, or Bears taking sibkos when they took the OZ- which would be mentioned.  Loss of sibkos is a noteworthy event, unlike the loss of lower caste enclaves.

Half the abathka clusters are Lyran and half are League . . . and surprise, Alaric is smart enough to station them on opposite borders though I do think we get a few former Leaguer vs Leaguer & former Lyran vs Lyran in RecGuide pilots.  They also continued the training for the League academy on . . . Olympia?  Wherever Trenton Marik was attending and fought clear from the oncoming Wolves.
Colt Ward

The_Big_Red_Bear

• Master Sergeant
  • Purple Bird is Strong
    • The Big Red Youtube Channel
« Reply #81 on: 02 May 2022, 12:48:31 »
I love the League because of how this book should play out.

If the FWLM is successful (they're not even going in knowing how poorly defended these regions are, at first), and restore their rule over a significant portion of worlds, that's actually as big a problem for the League as if they fail.

If they fail, they'll take significant losses, and it will create political upheaval in the League, hurting everyone from Nicol Halas-Hughes to Kenyon Marik, though the latter will take a larger pile of blame than the former. It will also embolden the Wolves in many respects as well.

If the offensive is successful, in theory this is good, but it's actually a disaster for the Halas-Hughes, as many of the worlds reclaimed are Marik worlds (as in, proper house Marik) and it would be a restoration of parts of their power base. Kenyon would also receive a lot of the "glory" for the win as well. This would embolden him, and his faction, as well as create discord across the League in terms of who should be supported. This essentially would set the League up for...

A Civil War!

We can only hope. It's a fine family tradition. lol
I Am Big_Red_40TECH and so can you.

Geont

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #82 on: 02 May 2022, 14:24:36 »
Being good at civil war opens up a hazard- a lot of these planets are problem worlds (the Tamarind-Abbey one that the Wolves have is certainly one; the Brett-Mariks are well rid of it). A reconquest effort runs a real risk of making a Wolf-aligned exFWL successor nation in the old Marik-Stewart Zone. I'd imagine the Silver Hawks could do well by the policy but I don't see anybody else doing that.

Well, yes, Silver Hawks are good contenders. Also, Clan Protectorate could do something that no one in League expected from them. Like to actually try to take more worlds.
Born in Czechoslovakia and living in Czechia (or Czech Republic).

Fan of FWL

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #83 on: 02 May 2022, 16:11:03 »
The official declaration of the Empire was in 3143 or so when Alaric became Khan after winning his Bloodname . . . the Wolves moved out of their OZ around 3136 or 3137, have to dig out MWDA novel Masters of War to be sure.

They took enough sibkos to fill 3 galaxies to do a Trial of Position training op under the saKhan to strike at the Lyran/Republic border when Seth & Alaric raced for Tharkad.  Further, neither FM or ER mentions the Falcons, Horses, or Bears taking sibkos when they took the OZ- which would be mentioned.  Loss of sibkos is a noteworthy event, unlike the loss of lower caste enclaves.

Half the abathka clusters are Lyran and half are League . . . and surprise, Alaric is smart enough to station them on opposite borders though I do think we get a few former Leaguer vs Leaguer & former Lyran vs Lyran in RecGuide pilots.  They also continued the training for the League academy on . . . Olympia?  Wherever Trenton Marik was attending and fought clear from the oncoming Wolves.

Just took a look at the FM 3145. Yes the Wolves took New Olympia which has some of the best military training centers (Mechwarrior and Aerospace) of the League. But there is also a catch: that's apparently the only one. Outside of that the Wolves have only accewss to milita training centers. Of course that was 3145. Who knows if they managed to get more higher standard facilities running. And to your point that would also mean that they nearly had an intzerruption in thr Sibkos (unless they bred them literally in space / transit). While the Wolves have access to a lot of factories there is still the question of the quality / loyalty of left behind Garrison forces. I would bet that at least the LEague gobbles up some important worlds but most likely not the entire League part of the Empire. And the Wolves have more pressing matters on hand then opportunistic Leaguers. Or do you think alaric will actually send forces back from Terra?

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #84 on: 02 May 2022, 16:17:56 »
Just took a look at the FM 3145. Yes the Wolves took New Olympia which has some of the best military training centers (Mechwarrior and Aerospace) of the League. But there is also a catch: that's apparently the only one. Outside of that the Wolves have only accewss to milita training centers. Of course that was 3145. Who knows if they managed to get more higher standard facilities running. And to your point that would also mean that they nearly had an intzerruption in thr Sibkos (unless they bred them literally in space / transit). While the Wolves have access to a lot of factories there is still the question of the quality / loyalty of left behind Garrison forces. I would bet that at least the LEague gobbles up some important worlds but most likely not the entire League part of the Empire. And the Wolves have more pressing matters on hand then opportunistic Leaguers. Or do you think alaric will actually send forces back from Terra?

Would the Exiles sibko's help cover the gap?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #85 on: 02 May 2022, 16:26:15 »
Would the Exiles sibko's help cover the gap?

No, they were pressing younger and younger warriors to fight.  Their slack from sibkos was taken up fighting Malvina on Arc Royal and after.

As far as training facilities . . . yeah, it does not take much to run a training program if you have a functioning military.  It is like saying you cannot plant a farm in the Williamette Valley.

And I will grant the Crusaders had 6-12 month delay in their sibbies being born.

Also- unlike the Falcons, the Wolves were not cut off from their Empire.
Colt Ward

Starfury

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #86 on: 05 May 2022, 01:33:18 »
The other key is how the conflict between the FWL and the Marian Hegemony plays out. Is the Invasion of the Wolf Empire going to force Tamarind Abbey back to their pre Invasion borders, leaving the Ilyrian province back in MH hands, or does that become the latest acquisition for Marik?  If that does happen, that would be two chunks of the MH gone since the Lothians went independent.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
« Reply #87 on: 05 May 2022, 09:04:03 »
Very. I'm particularly interested in what the Clan Protectorate will get up to. I hope, with all my heart, that the Spirit Cats don't bend the knee; I like that they and their Nova Cat progenitors have always gone their own way.

I'm also hoping that the League takes back Stewart so I can justify some Black Wolf Battle Armor in my FWL forces...

Consider it is called “Empire Alone” I can see the Clan Protectorate even becoming its own faction (at worst) or joining the FWL (at best). 

Not to mention I believe that the scales should be evened out.  From my perspective the Wolves have had to many successes crushing both the FWL and Lyrans.  If they want to create circumstances where no one becomes “top dog”.  Cool tech for everyone will also make sure no one side can be seen as “the best”.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #88 on: 05 May 2022, 09:09:53 »
Consider it is called “Empire Alone” I can see the Clan Protectorate even becoming its own faction (at worst) or joining the FWL (at best). 

. . . the Clan Protectorate is as much a part of the League as Duchy of Tamarind or Duchy of Oriente.

The League also already has access to Clan tech- it is why they have a Awesome that had Clan DHS which does not include Protectorate production.
Colt Ward

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #89 on: 05 May 2022, 09:34:14 »
You might also say the Clan Protectorate is as much Free Worlds League as Andurien or Regulus.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets