Author Topic: Information Update - The Black Thorns and Rubinsky's Light Horse  (Read 20256 times)

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
...I'm pretty sure your mind broke somewhere between the 3rd reading of Ruins and you second pass at Main Event. It's only way I can think anyone can re-read ether book more than once.

I have reread both Black Thorn novels more than once, and thoroughly enjoyed the stories each time (kind of reminds me of some of my BTech campaigns)...

That other you mentioned here...well, let's just say, I never have gotten through that one even once...and that's the only BTech-related novel for which I can say that...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

A. Lurker

• Major
And I'll see all of that and give you Star Lord and Far Country back-to-back

I did read Star Lord multiple times and found it each time, if not exactly high literature, then at least readable. A bit cheesy at times, perhaps, but certainly not the worst book ever.

Far Country on the other hand is in fact the one BT novel that I've yet to re-open after the initial read-through (though my lack of interest in slogging through the Jade Phoenix trilogy again comes close). It's not even necessarily that bad a book from what I remember; it just lost me when it made every possible attempt to divorce itself from the actual BT universe just so that the author could spin his own (in and of itself passable) first-contact yarn about human nature.

The Black Thorns? Eh, I kind of liked them ever since I got their "Contract with..." card in the old CCG. The novels just made it clear why their performance in that game was so thoroughly random. ;)

Rainbow 6

• Captain
Shame about the Thorns i guess  ;D

Good to see Rubinsky's Light Horse made it through the Jihad in the service of House Steiner.

JeremiahRose

• Private
I always liked them.  I'm a sucker for an underdog makes good story, even if some people found it cheesy.

At best they were company sized, and even with all that clantech, they were still pretty irrelevant from a big picture perspective.

If you want to kill someone, you should actually kill them, not sidenote them due to an oversight... but hey, I'm biased.

Hersh67

• Captain
I think it's safe to say that the destruction of the Black Thorns is one of the Top 5 Most Iconic Moments of the Jihad.

Nope, just proof positive that even a Blakist can do the right thing once in a while.  Usually by accident...

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
The Thorns never should have made it this far. Jeremiah Rose is just all EDGY and IN YOUR FACE which means, to anyone older than like... 15 or so, that he's just needlessly confrontational and shouldn't be able to get anyone to cooperate with him.  Except that they do, because he's the main character.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
  • Highest MUP Quotient on the forums.

Nope, just proof positive that even a Blakist can do the right thing once in a while.  Usually by accident...

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Their destruction has garnered a lot more discussion on these boards than much more significant events.

Decoy

• Captain
TBH, I have A LOT of trouble telling Jeremiah Rose apart from Loren Jaffreys and they kind of blur together in my mind. Too bad they haven't both met the same fate.

JeremiahRose

• Private
I find that this thread contains far too much nerd rage... on the side of agreeing with their fate and calling for more of the same.

I mean, really?

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
I ain't enraged and I don't think anyone else is either.

• Captain
Don't tell me we're back to "not liking something" = "personal attack."

I think most people greeted the Thorns dying with "Good, their novels were unreadably bad." That hardly qualifies as "rage." I'm not even sure what rage would look like in this scenario.

Maybe "RAR! (flips over a table) I AM SO MAD THE UNIT WON'T BE RECONSTITUTED SO THEY CAN BE SHOT INTO A STAR! RAR!"
« Last Edit: 22 June 2011, 16:22:12 by Caesar Steiner for Archon »

JeremiahRose

• Private
I ain't enraged and I don't think anyone else is either.

There's a lot of bloodlust, then ;-)

I mean, we're not talking about Greedo shooting first or Batman costumes with nipples on them... The Black Thorns is a much lesser offense, I think.

• Captain
Did we read the same novel?

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
There's a lot of bloodlust, then ;-)
This is a wargame we're talking about. There's bound to be a certain amount of bloodlust.

I mean, we're not talking about Greedo shooting first or Batman costumes with nipples on them... The Black Thorns is a much lesser offense, I think.
Well, that's where opinion comes into play.

Diplominator

• Lieutenant
  • Tactful Tactician
It is unclear if the Black Thorns were nuked, orbitally bombarded or died of the Galedon Plague. Their battlefield use is the same either way.

Hey, it matters! Salvage, man, salvage. Plagues leave 'Mechs intact.

So, y'know, in several decades RL-time, a few centuries in-game, we can have Neo-Blakists fighting the Draconis Dominion and the Niops Commonwealth with ancient machines carefully refurbished on planets that "dropped off the map" during the WoB Jihad, right before the Fifth Succession War and the Invasion of the Clan in the 3300s.

Man, that is weird to think about. Someday, TRO:3085 is gonna be the equivalent of TRO:3050 today. We'll have things like TRO:3085U, and some new format of record sheet, so the MUL we all have downloaded into our brains won't have things like the Flamberge or Targe, and people will rail against Catalyst's successor's successor's successor's successor's successor about releasing the MUL "before it's done."  And then Deathshadow's preserved consciousness, embittered by decades of forum hacks and silly complaints, will use the fully armed and operational MUL to incinerate the complainers' frontal lobes.
« Last Edit: 22 June 2011, 21:06:03 by Diplominator »

haesslich

• Lieutenant
Rage?  No.  A snort of amusement followed by a minute of laughter at the way their death was treated by the Powers That Be?  Yes.

blackjack

• When you're a professional pirate ...
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
 :o We will all be shocked to find out that Mr Rose was a WOB mole & that the Thorns were secreted away before the nuking of the planet....... [AAAH]

bytor

• Lieutenant
I find that this thread contains far too much nerd rage... on the side of agreeing with their fate and calling for more of the same.

I mean, really?

Not rage for sure but I'll bet there's a bandwagon that a couple folks have jumped on.   ;)

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close semblance to the first."
-Attributed to General Aleksandr Kerensky

Marveryn

• Lieutenant
i actually like main event .. didn't like the title of D.R.T  thought that title was stupid but i was ok with the story and i shrug at the cover.  now with out of the way.  I didn't fall in love with this group unlike the Gray death legion that had me nearly tossing dying time clear across the room when i finish.  On top of that Jihad did cost plenty of merc to be destroy so this i found appropriate.    (am sure herb having official destroy them wont let any writer right a story that they were off galden when it got nuke, plague cause they where on there way to northwind to relief the blockade of northwind)

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
There dead, like the Grey Death Legion, there dead. Maybe someday in the distant future some archaeologist will find a half melted Warhawk on Galedons surface and it will end up in a museum where proof for all the universe will be seen that the Black Thorns died painfully.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

haesslich

• Lieutenant
:o We will all be shocked to find out that Mr Rose was a WOB mole & that the Thorns were secreted away before the nuking of the planet....... [AAAH]

Well, to be fair, the main difference between Jeremiah Rose and a Blakist is he'd lost faith in Blake... ;)

There dead, like the Grey Death Legion, there dead. Maybe someday in the distant future some archaeologist will find a half melted Warhawk on Galedons surface and it will end up in a museum where proof for all the universe will be seen that the Black Thorns died painfully.

Nah.  The Warhawk belongs in a garbage heap if it's half-melted... or should be recycled.  No need to memorialize them that way.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
TBH, I have A LOT of trouble telling Jeremiah Rose apart from Loren Jaffreys and they kind of blur together in my mind. Too bad they haven't both met the same fate.

Jaffrey might have switched sides too easily, but that's really something that we've seen happen on a fairly regular basis.  Unlike Rose he actually acted like he'd paid attention in military academy when the subject was anything other than "shooting stuff" and "shouting at people."
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Hersh67

• Captain
Well, to be fair, the main difference between Jeremiah Rose and a Blakist is he'd lost faith in Blake the toaster... ;)

There, it's fixed.

Register