Author Topic: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition  (Read 163498 times)

pheonixstorm

• Major
Re: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition
« Reply #1440 on: 19 September 2019, 06:07:55 »
Went a bit old school tonight binge watching Dallos (4 ep OVA) and currently a few ep into Cosmo Warrior Zero. Anyone seen these?

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1441 on: 19 September 2019, 10:11:25 »
Definitely more enjoyable to me than Kancolle.  Been keeping up with some of the mangas, and I like that it's fun reading and not tedious.  Still have some issues with the character fan service, and I'm preferring my Royal fleet over the Eagles simply because they have better fashion sense too.

Well there's a better quality trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRFVIQRv1gY

Also, I thought I was the only strange bird who was running a Mono Faction HMS Fleet (with the exception of the adorable Gato Swarm providing sub support). I wonder how long this will last before Chapter 13 kicks me in the teeth.

God Save The Queen.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1442 on: 19 September 2019, 11:30:53 »
  • they're also digging really dip into the bottom pile regarding isekai now, adapting "I Said Make My Abilities Average" and "Ascendance of a Bookworm" (guess it's time for the girls to get their isekai turn on screen)...
There was a time when girls owned isekai genre with Wizard of Oz, Alice in Wonderland, Magic Knight Rayearth, and more. Then genre got popular ::)

Went a bit old school tonight binge watching Dallos (4 ep OVA) and currently a few ep into Cosmo Warrior Zero. Anyone seen these?
I've seen CWZ.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #1443 on: 19 September 2019, 11:35:18 »
Well there's a better quality trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRFVIQRv1gY

Also, I thought I was the only strange bird who was running a Mono Faction HMS Fleet (with the exception of the adorable Gato Swarm providing sub support). I wonder how long this will last before Chapter 13 kicks me in the teeth.

God Save The Queen.

Nope! I have every Royal Navy ship at at least Lvl 100 (save the latest, HMSs Black Prince & Formidable)  & the Fleet Faction upgrade at Rank 6!

Long Live the Queen, indeed!!

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1444 on: 19 September 2019, 14:35:59 »
I've seen CWZ.
Same.

--

Recently started watching Six Hearts Princess (not available in English).

Official Promotional Video from 2012 on youtube
English-language website for the anime from the production company

The above PV is still from the early 3DCG concept phase. It was later revised to hand-drawn 2D. Actual broadcast started in 2016, and since then they are doing one to two episodes... per year. With at least one artbook published per episode as well. They did not finish the first episode in time for broadcast in 2016 - and Tokyo MX broadcast the "unfinished version" anyway to satisfy the hype, with the director formally apologizing and publishing a revised version with much extended scenes and a prologue a year later.

Director of the series is Takashi Murakami, a Japanese artist sometimes called Japan's Andy Warhol - and on Time's 2008 list of Top 100 influential artists and entertainers (article). He's a lot into anime visual theory and deriving art objects from anime culture.

Plotwise, someone on that video above commented "when Madoka Magika meets Precure". Yeah. Sorta like that. Except the prologue added - setting a backdrop early on for the story - is more Neon Genesis Evangelion meets Sakura Taisen. I think he actually went quite intentionally overboard with that as an apology to the viewers of the unfinished episode. Very 80s tropey throughout too, or at least i can spot those in there.
« Last Edit: 19 September 2019, 14:37:58 by kato »

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #1445 on: 19 September 2019, 15:21:09 »
While I favor the Eagles (Go my adorable little Fletcher swarm) I've went and made at least one fleet of each faction that I could (combining the two !French). Minus the Italians because I ran out of room. I suppose the Italians can help out the Chinese for the moment, I've been rotating their Main element.

Someday you'll get a refit, Fletcher-neesan. I have faith in you.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1446 on: 19 September 2019, 15:46:58 »
Recently started watching Six Hearts Princess (not available in English).

......Actual broadcast started in 2016, and since then they are doing one to two episodes... per year.

Oh, wow, I thought that project was dead! I was pretty excited for it when it was announced. How far along is it now?

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1447 on: 19 September 2019, 15:51:24 »
Oh, wow, I thought that project was dead! I was pretty excited for it when it was announced. How far along is it now?
Episode 7 broadcasting this saturday in Japan.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1448 on: 19 September 2019, 15:52:39 »
With the fragmenting of the content providers making their own streaming services.
Do you guys think it will be harder to watch your desired anime?  Crunchyroll going have it harder now. 

Sort makes me think the golden age of streaming is ending.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1449 on: 19 September 2019, 16:18:40 »
Japanese market for streaming services has been fragmented for years with over a dozen major providers - the west is just following.

That even includes streaming services aimed exclusively at the smartphone section - with exclusive, specifically produced content that you'll never see on other platforms by virtue of actually being produced for an entirely different screen format.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #1450 on: 19 September 2019, 17:29:23 »
With the fragmenting of the content providers making their own streaming services.
Do you guys think it will be harder to watch your desired anime?

Very much so.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #1451 on: 19 September 2019, 18:07:01 »
I don't stick with any one faction.  I'm too busy chasing down all the secretary ship quests.

I really wish they'd slow down on the events.  They're fun, but I can't even remember the last time I tried to play through the main story missions.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #1452 on: 20 September 2019, 11:43:39 »
I prefer the constant stream of events, honestly. My issue with most MMO/action RPG type games is I hit end game and grinding the exact same level constantly for incremental upgrades eventually just drives me off as I lose interest. The constant trickle of 'new' helps keep me invested.

I'm just glad my OCD tendencies arent triggered by skins. I'd be broke.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1453 on: 20 September 2019, 15:45:26 »
That even includes streaming services aimed exclusively at the smartphone section - with exclusive, specifically produced content that you'll never see on other platforms by virtue of actually being produced for an entirely different screen format.
Thus why anime struggling to survive i think, if providers trying do everything in their power, at risk losing touch with other platforms.  I think dumb, but it's way it is i guess.

I wondered why pirated anime is been a thing still, this sort fragmentation causes people to want to unite it. 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1454 on: 20 September 2019, 16:17:50 »
It's not that much of a fragmentation in Japan itself. I mean, just look at Biglobe. They're streaming 90% of the stuff that arrives in the West, and some on top of that (38 series this season).

There are a very limited number of anime-specific streaming services over there that people actually use. Heck, actually Bandai Channel is about the only notable one i can think of. Everything else with a sizable share in the Japanese market - Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, Biglobe, Yahoo/Gyao - offer a whole lot more than just anime.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1455 on: 21 September 2019, 16:08:19 »
Making my way slowly through the last couple eps of Kanata no Astra.

They actually manage to throw in a new scifi trope every 10 minutes from ep 6 onwards.

"The adults are lieing to us." Oh yes. Definitely oh yes.

P.S. I could have done without the "what happens if you switch off a wormhole while something's stuck through it" demonstration.
« Last Edit: 21 September 2019, 16:29:39 by kato »

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1456 on: 22 September 2019, 08:19:01 »
Nope! I have every Royal Navy ship at at least Lvl 100 (save the latest, HMSs Black Prince & Formidable)  & the Fleet Faction upgrade at Rank 6!

Long Live the Queen, indeed!!

I envy you. Centaur is being elusive for me.

-----------------------------------------------

Back on topic, I'm definitely going to miss Symphogear when it ends.
Considering it's in it's 5th and final season, it's been a hell of a ride.

It's such a weird concept, an action show styled around kinetic magical girl brawls, yet somehow earnest and self-aware with itself while possessing a surprising amount of considered depth and consistency woven into its lore.

Symphogear has managed to be an incredibly stupid show, while being surprisingly smart. It's basically what Macross Delta was aspiring to be, without being hamstrung by such minor things like physics, common sense and realism (all the while side-winking at the audience with a knowing smile).
« Last Edit: 22 September 2019, 08:27:36 by Dies Irae »

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #1457 on: 22 September 2019, 08:44:45 »
I thought Centaur was an event ship?

What service(if any) is going to be streaming Azur Lane and when?  What little I find on google is nothing but previews or info on the release in Japan.  That and twitch streams for the game.  People seriously watch other people play this?
« Last Edit: 22 September 2019, 08:53:37 by DarkSpade »
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #1458 on: 22 September 2019, 08:52:27 »
I thought Centaur was an event ship?
She's in the Special Ship build queue but I couldn't get her during her rate up period to my annoyance.

What service(if any) is going to be streaming Azur Lane and when? 
So far, nobody has announced they've picked up the rights to do an English sub/dub.
I have contingencies to watch it on Japanese broadcast if there's no Western release, but that's a worst case scenario.
« Last Edit: 22 September 2019, 08:57:55 by Dies Irae »

kato

• Captain
« Reply #1459 on: 22 September 2019, 09:18:45 »
No streaming service announced for Japan either.

Tokyo MX, Sun TV, KBS Kyoto, BS11 and AT-X.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1460 on: 22 September 2019, 10:44:10 »
Slighty off topic, but the Azur Lane PS4 game will be getting an English release in 2020.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1461 on: 22 September 2019, 11:05:28 »
Cool

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1462 on: 22 September 2019, 12:47:54 »
I envy you. Centaur is being elusive for me.

Yeah, gotta have that Tony Taka elf girl! Good luck pumping cubes into the aviation gacha!

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #1463 on: 23 September 2019, 20:39:19 »
Just finished the series O Maidens in Your Savage Years! and it was really good. I enjoyed the humor, characters, story and animation.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1464 on: 24 September 2019, 17:42:11 »
Just finished the series O Maidens in Your Savage Years! and it was really good. I enjoyed the humor, characters, story and animation.

Last episode got a little over the top, but overall the writing was solid & the characters were all very human & relatable. Mari Okada with another hit!

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1465 on: 25 September 2019, 14:14:17 »
Well it looks like Bandai/Namco, Youtube, and Gen Urobuchi are teaming up for a real-mecha type Anime called Obsolete.
The Trailer looks interesting enough. From the Vid Description:
The year is 2014 and aliens have come to earth without warning to request for a “trade” - they offer conscious-control robots, “Exo-frames”, in return for limestone.
“Exo-frames” are cheaper than fighter jets, tanks, or guns, and anyone can easily ride them. They quickly spread and begin to change the world —.

This could be quite interesting. It's gonna be on Youtube in December.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #1466 on: 25 September 2019, 14:39:03 »
Yeah, no way that's not going to come back and become a serious problem for the humans.

Well it looks like Bandai/Namco, Youtube, and Gen Urobuchi are teaming up for a real-mecha type Anime called Obsolete.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1467 on: 25 September 2019, 14:43:40 »
If it's an Urobuchi script, I'd fully expect the Exo-frames to switch allegience and autonomously sieze control of Earth as soon as they outnumber local conventional forces. Here's hoping he's clever enough to write beyond his reputation again like he did with Gargantia & the Verduous Planet....

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1468 on: 26 September 2019, 09:52:31 »
Heh, men riding on the back (without a cockpit) of mecha, holding and firing AK-47. Are those really something that couldn't be dealt by Humvee or technical with 20 mm autocannon loaded with AP rounds? Or M551 Sheridan with Shillelagh missile? (It's been discussed on another topic lately)

[edit]
Did I just kill a cat girl by accident?
« Last Edit: 26 September 2019, 09:55:28 by Matti »
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1469 on: 26 September 2019, 12:41:40 »
You just killed a whole litter.

Register