Author Topic: 'Mech of the Week: Bear Cub  (Read 10514 times)

Moonsword

• Acutus Gladius
  • Global Moderator
  • Colonel
  • You interrupted me reading TROs for this?
Re: 'Mech of the Week: Bear Cub
« Reply #30 on: 13 July 2011, 15:00:25 »
Not to mention being very accurate, not something to sneeze at on a light that's going to be moving as a method of staying alive.

oldfart3025

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #31 on: 14 July 2011, 08:47:39 »

As a "basic" trainer, the Bear Cub works. But as a combat ready trainer (i.e. emergency use 'Mech), it's sorely lacking, even by modern IS standards.

As a full-on combat machine, it's a steaming pile of dogshit. Without a modern cooling system, it's a waste of Clan technology. About the only real, practical use in an actual combat formation is that of a basic scout. And one that should only be firing it's weapons in a "defensive withdraw" situation, much like the classic Ostscout back in the good ol' days. Get a look at the Bad Guys doing Bad Things, get the hell out of Dodge, and shoot only if somebody wants to play the speedbump. It doesn't have the cooling set up to effectively use it's heavy firepower (for a light Battlemech) in a sustained firefight with hostile forces.

Needless to say, the base model doesn't see much use in our games, other than in a few special scenarios. I have "tweaked" it slightly to fit our group's needs (for Bear Cubs being played in combat roles, this is.)

Just my two cents. For what it's worth.
"That which I cannot crush with words alone, I shall crush with the tanks of the Imperial Guard!"~Lord Solar Macharius

Demon55

• Captain
  • Planning wisely.
« Reply #32 on: 14 July 2011, 09:15:15 »
Excellent article.

Register