Author Topic: A Lance of Mechwarriors (SAMPLE NPCS)  (Read 8147 times)

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: A Lance of Mechwarriors (SAMPLE NPCS)
« Reply #30 on: 10 March 2017, 13:22:51 »
Classic ATOW low attributes. Ever wonder if the average of 4 is a reaction to how MW2 worked when attributes were king.

Well, if everyone is above average then average doesn't mean anything :D  Of course, skills being so much cheaper to advance than attributes, one might indeed pick a different character building strategy to prioritize attributes more heavily than I did.

But yes I do believe you are correct in that as of 4th ed/ATOW the pendulum has swung.  Not sure if it's a reaction or just an organic evolution, though.  If you get an attribute to 4, there's no benefit to skill checks until you increase it again all the way to 7.  Only difference between attributes of 4 5 and 6 is in arenas other than making skill checks.

massey

• Captain
« Reply #31 on: 10 March 2017, 14:09:08 »
Yeah, a 3 is a penalty, right?  4 gets you to a zero bonus, zero penalty.  You don't get anything good until 7, which is way expensive.  Much cheaper to just buy up your one or two important skills.

Tslammer

• Sergeant
  • 2D10 Heretic
« Reply #32 on: 14 March 2017, 11:05:08 »
While my main comments are about the oddness of the ATOW system.

I have always looked at MECHwarriors like fighter pilots that drive a tank. Not your average Joe.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 14 March 2017, 11:27:40 »
While my main comments are about the oddness of the ATOW system.

I have always looked at MECHwarriors like fighter pilots that drive a tank. Not your average Joe.

I've known too many fighter pilots to consider them having abilities beyond your Average Joe.

Still, I do think that ATOW may suffer from a bit of loss of focus.  If so much as one PC is a mechwarrior, you pretty much have to have everyone be a mechwarrior in order to keep everyone in the spotlight.  And if noone is a mechwarrior, why are you using ATOW engine for your rpg?
« Last Edit: 14 March 2017, 11:30:00 by Tai Dai Cultist »

Register