Author Topic: Just when you thought it was safe to walk down the road...  (Read 2438 times)

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
It would appear that swooping season is upon us again already, be careful my fellow antipodes!

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
Re: Just when you thought it was safe to walk down the road...
« Reply #1 on: 22 August 2019, 13:44:04 »
Just googled for "swooping season". Heh. I haven't had such attacks on my person, but birds have really made a mess in the corners of the warehouse & some of its machines after I had got them washed up. Teaches to close the doors, though it wouldn't help with the place drying up faster.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2019, 14:06:28 »
I maintain a cordial entente with our magpies. I say hello to them, and in the 30-odd years we've been in this house, with lots of magpies in the area, none of my family never been swooped.

I always love when the gawky grey-backed 'teenagers' start coming out, with a white-backed parent in the vicinity keeping an eye on them.

I know crows are supposed to be more intelligent, but I find magpies more visually attractive & interesting.

It's the little wrens who keep attacking that stranger in the car side mirrors that I find annoying.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2019, 18:04:55 »
It's the little wrens who keep attacking that stranger in the car side mirrors that I find annoying.
Robbins do that around here. :screw_loose:

trboturtle

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Erraturi te salutant!
« Reply #4 on: 22 August 2019, 18:46:33 »
Robbins do that around here. :screw_loose:

Christopher Robbins attacks side mirrors???  ??? ???

Craig
Author of 32 Battletech short stories including "The Lance Killer," "Hikagemono," "Negotiation," "The Clawing," "Salvage," "The Promise," "Reap What You Sow," "Family Ties," "The Blood of Man," "End of Message," "Heroes' Bridge," "Kurodenkou," "Thirteen," "My Father's Sword," "Evacuation," "Operation Red Lion," "A Matter of Honor," "State of Grace," "Operation Blue Tiger," "A Warrior's Fear," "Shadow Angels," "Murphy's Method," "End of the Road," (IAMTW 2019 Scribe Award nominee!), "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Blind Arrogance," "Laws Are Silent," "No Tears," "Tales of the Cracked Canopy: Shadows of the Past," and "Three White Roses."
Novels -- Icons of War, Elements of Treason series, "Vengence Games." Upcoming: "In the Shadow of Dragons" and "Poisoned Honor" (WoR #1)

My Blogs!
Battletech:  http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com/
Other writings: http://trboturtleswritings.blogspot.com/

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 22 August 2019, 19:36:31 »
Christopher Robbins attacks side mirrors???  ??? ???

Craig
You're thinking of Tim, not Christopher.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Smegish

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 22 August 2019, 19:40:59 »
You just need to survive the next week, then you can take shelter in the MCG. Won't see many magpie in there till March 😆

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #7 on: 23 August 2019, 00:13:53 »
Burn! But you will see lions and tigers this weekend ;)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 23 August 2019, 03:22:25 »
I maintain a cordial entente with our magpies. I say hello to them, and in the 30-odd years we've been in this house, with lots of magpies in the area, none of my family never been swooped.

I always love when the gawky grey-backed 'teenagers' start coming out, with a white-backed parent in the vicinity keeping an eye on them.

I know crows are supposed to be more intelligent, but I find magpies more visually attractive & interesting.

It's not the magpies that are concerning me this year, but the plovers. Those little grey creeps have nested just across the road. :-P

The only magpies I see are on base, and it would seem that the entire base complement have made friends with them. Never seen a maggie swoop on base.

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #9 on: 23 August 2019, 05:07:54 »
Australian birds right now.

Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #10 on: 23 August 2019, 06:09:13 »
My friend was stalked home, because he pretended to stone a crow.

According to him it was just like the movies, with one crow flapping down and staring at him. Then another. Then another. He ran for it and got into the car but they swarmed all around it and followed him all the way home.