Author Topic: Ideas are bulletproof: The Republic of the Sphere Megathread  (Read 63401 times)

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Sergeant
  • Still alive
So I looked over the last 8 pages and didn't see one megathread for the Republic of the Sphere, but a bunch of individual threads on different parts of the ROTS. I thought it would be nice as a fan of the ROTS, even if it has been killed off, to have a thread to discuss its history, military units, wars, and main characters. Even if the ROTS as an official government is gone in the IlClan era, there are still many hooks for Republic fans in the new era, such as;

- What's going to happen to Jonah Levin?

- Various merc units or insurgent groups related to the Republic.

- What was Stone's real plan after coming back?

- Why did the people of Terra, who have known the Clans are gunning for them for over a 100 years, not enact a better insurgency against Clans Wolf and Clan Jade Falcon in HOTW ala the Japanese against Vau Galaxy?

Anything related to the Republic can be discussed here.
Clan Protectorate

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
Re: Ideas are bulletproof: The Republic of the Sphere Megathread
« Reply #1 on: 01 July 2023, 17:04:34 »
In all honesty, I don't think Stone actually had a plan.  I think he'd just spent so long being surrounded by people who were in awe of him that he'd started believing his own PR.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #2 on: 01 July 2023, 17:30:20 »
In all honesty, I don't think Stone actually had a plan.  I think he'd just spent so long being surrounded by people who were in awe of him that he'd started believing his own PR.

Not only that I think he got so much undue credit that everyone else also bought into his legend and forgot how much help he had to make everything work.

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 01 July 2023, 17:48:05 »

Stone had a plan. Given the situation he was handed when he woke up, which was deteriorated past his projections, it was a reasonable plan. Build up, focus efforts, rally the citizens, and then use the fortress - a strategic weapon unlike any other - to force a series of 1v1 with his enemies until the situation stabilized or he lost.

That said. I think Stone needed the people he had around him during the Jihad more than he realized. He didn’t have that help when he came back.

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #4 on: 01 July 2023, 18:40:47 »
Stone had a plan. Given the situation he was handed when he woke up, which was deteriorated past his projections, it was a reasonable plan. Build up, focus efforts, rally the citizens, and then use the fortress - a strategic weapon unlike any other - to force a series of 1v1 with his enemies until the situation stabilized or he lost.

That said. I think Stone needed the people he had around him during the Jihad more than he realized. He didn’t have that help when he came back.

Yes, and had the Wolves not invited the Falcons I think it would have worked. I still want to know why Stone didn't just pull all his forces back to Terra and let so many line regiments be destroyed in futile holding actions. Blood Will Tell seems to lead me to believe the goal was to buy time for mercs to show to do insurgency work, but that seem like a poor plan. Dropping the Fortress, having Operation Eruptio save the Federated Suns, and then pulling everything back to Terra and Northwind seems a better plan rather than fritter away 10 regiments outside of Terra.

Stone had a plan but what he didn't have was people who were willing to point out potential issues with that plan. Most of the RAF was in hero-worship mode for him, no one except Tucker Harwell challenged his ideas, and so when his ideas didn't pan out 100%, his plan eventually failed.
Clan Protectorate

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #5 on: 01 July 2023, 19:18:25 »

Before he decided to turn himself into a popsicle, he had no plan beyond making the Republic into a cult of personality centered around him.  He'd completely bought into the idea of his own greatness and squandered decades that could have been used to build the RotS up in strength, instead relying on the frankly insane idea that freezing himself for a few decades would let him wake up and "save" the Republic by virtue of being the legendary Devlin Stone.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #6 on: 01 July 2023, 19:49:09 »
Before he decided to turn himself into a popsicle, he had no plan beyond making the Republic into a cult of personality centered around him.  He'd completely bought into the idea of his own greatness and squandered decades that could have been used to build the RotS up in strength, instead relying on the frankly insane idea that freezing himself for a few decades would let him wake up and "save" the Republic by virtue of being the legendary Devlin Stone.

If I'm remembering my FM3145 right, Devlin Stone didn't think the Republic would 'need' saving. He thought that as time went on the Republic would grow stronger as all the Clans and Successor States collapsed under their antiquated ways of running things, and the example of the Republic would lead to planets switching over. He was hoping to wake up in 50 years to an Inner Sphere that was entirely subsumed by the Republic.
Clan Protectorate

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 01 July 2023, 19:50:49 »

Not sure what books and lore you read. More than any other leader in the setting, he spent considerable effort leaving multiple tools for his successors.

Argue that they didn’t work if you must. Call them stupid. But he absolutely left plans and weapons behind for his people.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 01 July 2023, 20:27:33 »
Stone froze himself and put a time on his cryopod so that he'd wake up at a predetermined point with the idea that there would be a crisis happening that he would fix.  That is not the actions of a person who believes that their organization can go on without them.  He did not have contingencies for multiple possibilities, and his "plan" to stop the Wolves appeared to be "give mechs to Julian Davian and hope that in the future, Julian would willingly sacrifice the FedSuns in order to ride to the Republic's rescue."  That's not a plan.  That's suicide with delusions of survival.

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 01 July 2023, 21:43:17 »
Stone froze himself and put a time on his cryopod so that he'd wake up at a predetermined point with the idea that there would be a crisis happening that he would fix.  That is not the actions of a person who believes that their organization can go on without them.  He did not have contingencies for multiple possibilities, and his "plan" to stop the Wolves appeared to be "give mechs to Julian Davian and hope that in the future, Julian would willingly sacrifice the FedSuns in order to ride to the Republic's rescue."  That's not a plan.  That's suicide with delusions of survival.

Basically all of this is wrong.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 02 July 2023, 07:58:22 »
Io assume Jonah Levin will most likely become another bondsman turned ally for the wolves. The way he was portrayed sofar is of someone who is extremely fair to everyone while also being ruthless enough to do what is necessary (to a certain degree).  And imho alaric will need someone to be the conduit to the Terran population. Given how small the Wolves army is he could never survive an uprising of 10-12 billion angry Terrans. Japan should be a warning to anyone.

the problem with Stone's plan is that the Wall had been running for 10 years already. To me that seems as if it was already wrongly used. The Wall has a timer so your future plans have to be tailored to that. The problem is that the Republic was so weak that they could not make proper use of the wall. It is a bit like the Castle Brians of the old Star League: they are not meant to stop the enemy they are meant to keep the enmy in place for reinforcements to arrive. Yes they used it to clean house and initiate destabilizing raids but that was not enough. It would have been more beneficial to produce material for their nominal allies while sending heavy strike units to help said allies. Like striking at logisitcs hubs that support ongoing invasions and best do it under Republic colours to keep the enemy try wasting units against the wall. Of course using enemy coloursa is fine too but as the Marlette deception shows the wall is a great way to kill enemies quickly

Terrans probably thought that the Clans will never make it as the Clans would have to plow through so many lines of planets that by the time they reach Terra they would be spend. Of course not maintaining the weapons the Blakists build (or even secretly building more of those like the Rattler or Wyrm) was a very big mistake. Probably the thing Stone never thought of: to maintain the Pax Republicana you need a very big hammer to enforce it (and nobody took the lessons from the Capellan Crusades seriously)

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 02 July 2023, 08:50:13 »
Io assume Jonah Levin will most likely become another bondsman turned ally for the wolves. The way he was portrayed sofar is of someone who is extremely fair to everyone while also being ruthless enough to do what is necessary (to a certain degree).  And imho alaric will need someone to be the conduit to the Terran population. Given how small the Wolves army is he could never survive an uprising of 10-12 billion angry Terrans. Japan should be a warning to anyone.

As much as I’d enjoy the 12 billion angry terrans causing problems… I don’t really recall angry local populations causing meaningful problems for occupation outside of one novel. It’s silly, it really is, but if we follow in universe precedent, Alaric shouldn’t have huge issues with Terra itself.

That said, the tiny glimpses we’ve seen makes me think Alaric wants the clanniest of clan Leagues, which could include instituting the caste system full bore on Terra. Which, per EA, even the Wolves’ “light hand” in the empire made the civilians hate them.

Could it be a plot line? Yeah. I don’t think it will be.

As for Levin and others in command helping with stable rule, it’s not an impossible story, but it would require Alaric wanting to compromise and reach out to the Terran civilians. I’m not 100% on all of Alaric’s stories, but I don’t recall him ever treating locals as more than serfs. If somehow Alaric changes tack for Terra (character growth opportunity?), maybe some of RotS command could cooperate with the goal of “stop the fighting.”

That said, Levin’s a soldier. I’d more expect a Republic resistance assembled around him to try to do something. Given the magnitude of forces in the area, I’d expect it to accomplish nothing meaningful. At least not unless the RAF turned merc and all the unaccounted for line units rallied to him.

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #12 on: 02 July 2023, 11:41:24 »
As much as I’d enjoy the 12 billion angry terrans causing problems… I don’t really recall angry local populations causing meaningful problems for occupation outside of one novel. It’s silly, it really is, but if we follow in universe precedent, Alaric shouldn’t have huge issues with Terra itself.

That said, the tiny glimpses we’ve seen makes me think Alaric wants the clanniest of clan Leagues, which could include instituting the caste system full bore on Terra. Which, per EA, even the Wolves’ “light hand” in the empire made the civilians hate them.

Could it be a plot line? Yeah. I don’t think it will be.

As for Levin and others in command helping with stable rule, it’s not an impossible story, but it would require Alaric wanting to compromise and reach out to the Terran civilians. I’m not 100% on all of Alaric’s stories, but I don’t recall him ever treating locals as more than serfs. If somehow Alaric changes tack for Terra (character growth opportunity?), maybe some of RotS command could cooperate with the goal of “stop the fighting.”

That said, Levin’s a soldier. I’d more expect a Republic resistance assembled around him to try to do something. Given the magnitude of forces in the area, I’d expect it to accomplish nothing meaningful. At least not unless the RAF turned merc and all the unaccounted for line units rallied to him.

I suppose my problem is if insurgencies aren't supposed to be a thing in the setting, then they really should never be a thing. But we have exceptions all over the place. Japan is one, Liao planets are constantly another.

And I feel Terra should be different because for 100 years they've known the Clanners are gunning for them. Then over the course of the Dark Age they saw the Clans getting closer and closer to them. Terra's not a border world used to trading hands. For the last 70 years its been part of one consistent government.
Clan Protectorate

bear

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Private
« Reply #13 on: 02 July 2023, 21:57:43 »
So I looked over the last 8 pages and didn't see one megathread for the Republic of the Sphere, but a bunch of individual threads on different parts of the ROTS. I thought it would be nice as a fan of the ROTS, even if it has been killed off, to have a thread to discuss its history, military units, wars, and main characters. Even if the ROTS as an official government is gone in the IlClan era, there are still many hooks for Republic fans in the new era, such as;

- What's going to happen to Jonah Levin?

- Various merc units or insurgent groups related to the Republic.

- What was Stone's real plan after coming back?

- Why did the people of Terra, who have known the Clans are gunning for them for over a 100 years, not enact a better insurgency against Clans Wolf and Clan Jade Falcon in HOTW ala the Japanese against Vau Galaxy?

Anything related to the Republic can be discussed here.

To complletely skip most of the conversation above, I think a lot of the RAF troops left out there will gravitate towards Northwind or to mercenary units that have some honorable background.  Influx of troops to whatever survived of the Roughriders, to the ELH, and to the Highlanders.  Maybe a rebuilding of the GDL and Kell Hounds

VanVelding

• Warrant Officer
    • Powered by Indifference, Focused by Caffeine
« Reply #14 on: 02 July 2023, 23:54:58 »
I'm not sure how any planet stays under Clan rule. Even shifting from Lyran to Combine control seems like a lot. Going full clan...I assume seeing the 31st Century equivalent of Henry Ford eat shit in the salt mines is satisfying, but it can't be enough to deal with a literal caste system and society geared around nothing but war.

I get that civilians revolt when the plot demands and not a second before, but this is Terra we're talking about. You'd think that the Word of Blake occupation would make them very opinionated about whoever is calling the shots.
Co-host of 17 to 01 and The Beige and The Bold. I also have a dusty old blog about whatever comes to mind vanvelding.blogspot.

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 03 July 2023, 06:25:21 »
I'm not sure how any planet stays under Clan rule. Even shifting from Lyran to Combine control seems like a lot. Going full clan...I assume seeing the 31st Century equivalent of Henry Ford eat shit in the salt mines is satisfying, but it can't be enough to deal with a literal caste system and society geared around nothing but war.

Tamar Rising has a section addressing this. Contrary to Spheroid propaganda, the Jade Falcons (and implicitly other Clans) during Operational Revival didn't immediately shove everybody into a strict caste system but undertook a gradual approach to changing conquered societies. People could change their initial caste assignment, other concessions were made, natives were given a stake in upholding the new order, etc. Assimilation was a multi-generational process that largely worked when the Clans adopted this approach.

Clan rule tends to be more widely resisted when the Clanners drop this method and go for swift and brute force. Case in point being the Lyran worlds annexed during Malvina's reign, and even the Wolves seem to have stirred up their subjects in the Empire somewhat, although other sources claim the locals acclimated more easily.

As for Clan society being geared around nothing but war, that might officially be the case but most 32nd century Clans seem to have a wider interpretation of that than their Homeworld ancestors. As in, the economy is allowed to provide civilians with a much better standard of living in exchange for meeting warrior caste needs (it helps that the Sphere is MUCH richer than the Homeworlds). Not that much different from the Great Houses during the Succession Wars.

Basically, with Alaric and Terra's populace, it seems like a toss-up whether he'll go for the smarter approach of leaving the native society and economy minimally disturbed with just a change in boss (for now), or if he'll antagonize them into revolting by doing what Malvina did in the LC. Whatever the plot demands / TPTB want.
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others.

"The Succession Wars solved no problem. Their effects, both immediate and indirect, were either negative or disastrous. Morally subversive, economically destructive, socially degrading, confused in their causes, devious in their course, futile in their results, they are the outstanding example in Spheroid history of meaningless conflict."
The Third Star League's view of the Succession Wars, plagiarised from an ancient Terran historian's judgement of the Thirty Years War.

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #16 on: 03 July 2023, 09:24:11 »
Yay, another RotS thread!

My thinking regarding RAF survivors and resistance to Alaric centers around two questions:

1: Psychologically, is Alaric even capable of allowing the Belters to retain the autonomy that has been their #1 priority for almost a millennium now?

Since I think we all know the answer to #1, the next question is:

2: Is Alaric capable of *not* sending assets after the Belters that he absolutely cannot afford to lose if he wants to conquer the rest of humanity?

And before anyone says anything, I'm fully aware that my idea that Belter resistance will be part of what saves humanity from Clan domination is 100% a delusion. I don't care. It's fun. :)
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 03 July 2023, 09:36:21 »
It bugs me that Stone would not have learned from the Battle of Luthien that Terra would cause Clans to work together in the same trial. The Wolves may not have liked the Falcons, but the Falcons were reliable. By contrast, the universe seems to have been making it a major plot point that the 32nd Century Ghost Bears are the least reliable entity out there. Stone was alive during a period where this ignorance is ignoble, particularly for a former MIIO operative. Luthien was one of the largest deals of the 31st century. I know it was for a plot point to advance the story, but it is problematic.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: 03 July 2023, 11:42:10 »
When it comes to resistance to the clans you should not forget what was happening in that one shrapnel story that took place right after the Ilclan was ushered in: the demobilized RAf soldiers are still there which is abreeding ground for at least local partisan attacks. After all they have the skillset to cause trouble. Plus some are even gunning for RAf trators. It is like a mini civil war. And there isn't only Levin there is also Tucker and whatever Phantoms that went to ground and now most likely help Tucker conducting his Twitter campaign trolling the Wolves

The most fun plot line would have been if Stone on his deathbed had said to alaric as his last line before dying "oh btw the wall is gone now and then alaric gets a urgent radio call that the Wall generator just stopped working. I know that did not happen but it would have been funny. Coupled with messages of Capellan ships approaching the Sol system.

The question will be how Alaric will incorporate Terrans into his League. Promises of old glory might help (plus the choice between him or Liao) but a strict caste system? Hooo boy and here we go especially as Terra is a huge place and there is plenty of room to build up resistance cells (if the lore is to be believed the Battletech Terra has many untamed wilds thanks to the repairs done to the planet). And should the message spread that it was Alaric who got the Falcons to Terra then I would bet those that were hit the hardest by Malvina the Mad will never join him .

and let's not forget: Geneva was the center of Terra's system. Now that the city has been reduced to rubble ruling Tera will be a challenge (yes i know Unity city is being rebuild but that is rebuilding). Plus who knows what data bases the Republic erased just in case (I would assume they at the very least destroyed data belonging to their secret services to protect Phantom knights and other secret agents)

Fire Scorpion IIC

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 03 July 2023, 16:26:47 »
When it comes to resistance to the clans you should not forget what was happening in that one shrapnel story that took place right after the Ilclan was ushered in: the demobilized RAf soldiers are still there which is abreeding ground for at least local partisan attacks. After all they have the skillset to cause trouble. Plus some are even gunning for RAf trators. It is like a mini civil war. And there isn't only Levin there is also Tucker and whatever Phantoms that went to ground and now most likely help Tucker conducting his Twitter campaign trolling the Wolves

The most fun plot line would have been if Stone on his deathbed had said to alaric as his last line before dying "oh btw the wall is gone now and then alaric gets a urgent radio call that the Wall generator just stopped working. I know that did not happen but it would have been funny. Coupled with messages of Capellan ships approaching the Sol system.

The question will be how Alaric will incorporate Terrans into his League. Promises of old glory might help (plus the choice between him or Liao) but a strict caste system? Hooo boy and here we go especially as Terra is a huge place and there is plenty of room to build up resistance cells (if the lore is to be believed the Battletech Terra has many untamed wilds thanks to the repairs done to the planet). And should the message spread that it was Alaric who got the Falcons to Terra then I would bet those that were hit the hardest by Malvina the Mad will never join him .

and let's not forget: Geneva was the center of Terra's system. Now that the city has been reduced to rubble ruling Tera will be a challenge (yes i know Unity city is being rebuild but that is rebuilding). Plus who knows what data bases the Republic erased just in case (I would assume they at the very least destroyed data belonging to their secret services to protect Phantom knights and other secret agents)

You hit the nail on the head: If Terrans can't handle something as vanilla as Wolves they will definitely not enjoy Liaos

Alaric just has to go on TV and say that if they really truly honestly don't want Wolves around then they will just go home and hand over the keys of the estate to Cappies

Looks like more than sufficient motivation 

As for later events should Wolves win upcoming showdown we should keep in mind that chunk of territory rimward of Terra used to be called Tikonov Free Republic, that it used to be part of Terran Hegemony and that locals might not be the most ardent CapCon patriots out there

So like you said, old glory for Terrans... and maybe even something as simple as not being Capellan in case of rimward neighborhood

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 03 July 2023, 16:52:12 »
 There has been conversation in the Clan section about the fact that Clan models for governance are strictly incompetent for running even the sparely populated Inner Sphere worlds, nonetheless a golden one. Clan Wolf threw away the concept of a Clan having true civilians when it moved, so Terra in theory should be fairly awkward for them. There are more issues still, including the fact that figures such as the Bishop of Rome, Patriarch of Constantinople, and others are of a nature that Clan Wolf would not know how to navigate.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 04 July 2023, 07:47:35 »
Not to mention: Terra has the most diverse cultural mix of all IS planets. unlike a lot of IS planets which are often "cultural unified" Terra has everything. And don't get me started on the languages existing. If Alaric really demands a "unification" of everything (like Nicolas did on Strana Mechty) expect more resistance. Even with people like Tara on his side he might have to deal with angry people who don't want to speak clan. And it doesn't even have to be partisan attacks: strikes, sabotage, food poisoning, heck it could just be industrial pranking or ineffiecency in production. Japan showed what happens when everyone stands up. Or if the big armaments corporation demand they get compensated or their plants shut down. Though that might be where the Foxes come in

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 04 July 2023, 09:44:36 »
In IlClan/Hour of the Wolf Alaric made of VERY clear he wouldn’t allow an insurgency. He also showed he’d be very lenient to everyone (as opposed to Malvina) should he win. Sure they would be Clan but he’s also been a bit less strict overall when it’s come to a Clan tradition: he raised how many freeborn units?

Now that’s not to say there won’t be an insurgency: Levin’s out there as well as the Ghost Knights… and people don’t take to kindly to former enemies that have switched their positions (aka the Jade Falcons). Things might not go as well as they hope but I can’t see everyone laying down their arms.

Also: it’s hard to convince an entire population for total war or the possibility of a full on insurrection/rebellion/ opposition to an invasion. Culture and politics aside: some people just don’t care enough to care. I don’t want to breach the rules (as this topic could go in that direction), but you have to have a VERY charismatic leader or a VERY worthwhile cause to convince the people accordingly (ala Amaris/ Kentares)

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 04 July 2023, 10:11:50 »
Double post (sorry but a completely different tangent)

I totally forgot the real reason I wanted to comment on this thread.

What are some common Aerospace fighters that the ROTS would use for a heavy squadron? I don’t have my FM or Era Reports in front of me, and I’d prefer peoples opinions over the MUL for this one (yes I’m currently staring at the MUL lol).

The force will probably end up being two squadrons of Merc/ ROTS/ maybe FedSuns craft in the IlClan era but I’m having a bit of roadblock.

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: 04 July 2023, 10:52:55 »
In IlClan/Hour of the Wolf Alaric made of VERY clear he wouldn’t allow an insurgency. He also showed he’d be very lenient to everyone (as opposed to Malvina) should he win. Sure they would be Clan but he’s also been a bit less strict overall when it’s come to a Clan tradition: he raised how many freeborn units?

Now that’s not to say there won’t be an insurgency: Levin’s out there as well as the Ghost Knights… and people don’t take to kindly to former enemies that have switched their positions (aka the Jade Falcons). Things might not go as well as they hope but I can’t see everyone laying down their arms.

Also: it’s hard to convince an entire population for total war or the possibility of a full on insurrection/rebellion/ opposition to an invasion. Culture and politics aside: some people just don’t care enough to care. I don’t want to breach the rules (as this topic could go in that direction), but you have to have a VERY charismatic leader or a VERY worthwhile cause to convince the people accordingly (ala Amaris/ Kentares)

I’m expecting resistance to exist but go nowhere. That said:

- Alaric “made sure” by destroying a settlement (Atitjere), which still had some people left in it. Alaric sent the message loud and clear that anyone who wants to resist will have nothing left to lose. Convincing civilians to obey through, well, murdering civilians isn’t always gonna have the intended effect. This can be played either way by TPTB. Either as a rallying cry, or breaking spirit. Insurgents could also use the reality that Alaric - on a semi-consistent basis - is one of the only commanders in the sphere outside the falcons (and Dracs) who murders civilians and surrendering troops as a way to turn hearts and minds.

- EA shows that the “light touch? approach wolves used was still making enemies of most of the population. So we haven’t seen Alaric actually manage spheroid civilians well. He just had success forcing them to obey by threat of violence. 

- The Terran wolves are a remnant of a remnant. They have a huuuuuuuuge problem with headcount amongst warriors and clanner lower castes. They can’t be everywhere and anywhere to deal with every problem if Alaric still wants to go on offense.

- I’d also have to check details, but I’m pretty sure there’s more ex-RAF survivors on Terra than wolf warriors. Wolves are super spread thin.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #25 on: 04 July 2023, 15:39:13 »
Double post (sorry but a completely different tangent)

I totally forgot the real reason I wanted to comment on this thread.

What are some common Aerospace fighters that the ROTS would use for a heavy squadron? I don’t have my FM or Era Reports in front of me, and I’d prefer peoples opinions over the MUL for this one (yes I’m currently staring at the MUL lol).

The force will probably end up being two squadrons of Merc/ ROTS/ maybe FedSuns craft in the IlClan era but I’m having a bit of roadblock.

There are the simurgh and Schrack Omnifighters. Especially the Beta version of the shimurg carrying TWO improved heavy gaus rifles

I think for the moment alaric will be fine as most Terrans are probably in shock what happened. but the longer this goes on without any movement or improvement (remember Terra is now basically isolated behind the wall and the wolves aren't getting any reinforcements with the Dragoons marauding through the Empire) the situation might deterioate fast. Especially when he begins treating Terrans like serfs.

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #26 on: 06 July 2023, 12:21:35 »

Alaric has butchered surrending units more than once, and even if he's better than Malvina, I always found it laughable that anyone would consider him tolerable. They're both still Clan, which means Communist caste system where warriors can legally murder civilians without recourse.
Clan Protectorate

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #27 on: 06 July 2023, 12:37:04 »
warriors can legally murder civilians without recourse.

This is not (strictly) true. See WoK, pgs. 62-63. Also, per WoR, a Burrock warrior got sent to the Prinz Eugen specifically for murdering civilians.
« Last Edit: 06 July 2023, 12:40:57 by tassa_kay »
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #28 on: 06 July 2023, 12:56:43 »
Clan wolf under Alaric's control has never engaged in such tactics, hell he leaves civilian population alone as long as they support the Clan as their directed.  Most of the Wolf Empire is largely capitalism drive economy vs communism. So it's been a hybrid sort of economy, because Alaric was trained by his mother AKA Katherine Steiner davion
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #29 on: 06 July 2023, 13:23:21 »
This is not (strictly) true. See WoK, pgs. 62-63. Also, per WoR, a Burrock warrior got sent to the Prinz Eugen specifically for murdering civilians.

He was a Burrock, frankly I'm surprised they didn't just dome him like they did the rest of them. Not like they need an excuse.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

Register