Author Topic: Why did the Stiletto Never Grow Up?  (Read 1761 times)

Goose

• Lieutenant
  • … the Laws on his tail, burning for home …
    • Home of HeavyMetal Pro
Why did the Stiletto Never Grow Up?
« on: 24 September 2023, 19:53:16 »
I remember the former Fed Com-Halves not getting on, but did no-one have any love for their battle armor?
Goose
The Ancient Egyptian God of Fractional AccountingAnimare Tai-sa Shikishima
I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: Why did the Stiletto Never Grow Up?
« Reply #1 on: 24 September 2023, 19:56:17 »
FedCom LCTs seem to prefer Helicopters and Hovers over Omnimechs to deploy their Battle Armor (which is reasonable for their combined arms philosophy).

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 24 September 2023, 20:39:07 »
Is this some sort of Lyran Battle Armor joke? I don’t get it.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 24 September 2023, 22:39:35 »
FedCom civil war troubles (they didn’t sell to Katrina supporters, and then shortly after the civil war the WoB hit Coventry and took it over. It never had much of a chance to catch on in universe)
It was released right in ‘the dark times’
It’s not a good mech
The good variant looks silly
Other mechs have more attraction either as new new mechs or variants of classics
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #4 on: 25 September 2023, 06:38:51 »
Is this some sort of Lyran Battle Armor joke? I don’t get it.

I thought it was a reference to the Stiletto not being developed into an omnimech, like a true Inner Sphere version of the Fire Falcon.
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #5 on: 05 October 2023, 10:27:56 »
A lot of the 3067 mechs got kind of overlooked post-Civil War.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Lanceman

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Warrant Officer
  • Blake Be Praised
« Reply #6 on: 05 October 2023, 14:22:28 »
Apropos of nothing, I was reading FM: Lyran Alliance last night and noticed a blurb in the infantry section that, at least immediately post-secession, the LAAF was side lining battle armor, so having a fast omni to deliver them really wasn't a priority. Coupled with a general shift away from Omnis (see the Argus and Thanatos), the Stiletto was probably doomed to never see an omni version.
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" -  Henri-Frédéric Amiel

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #7 on: 06 October 2023, 08:51:38 »
also worth noting that the main BA for the Lyrans is the Fenrir, a Quad that can't be carried by Omni's anyway. they have IS standard being built on Hesperus II by Defiance Industries.. but at the time Defiance was involved with with the whole third skye rebellion, which would have made shipments harder to distribute. (and of course small amounts of the Grey Death scout and standards.. but those were in very limited production at the time, mostly sold to mercs, and the company was going through hard times due to the deaths of the Grey Death Legion at that point)

combine that with the Fenrir being so new at the time, and the Lyrans probably didn't have enough mech-capable BA in general to consider BA transport a priority. especially when they were already producing plenty of Maxim hovertanks and other vehicle transports with the capacity to handle BA.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #8 on: 06 October 2023, 15:01:39 »
The Lyrans also had access to all the TRO 3058 omnis already, due to either native production or importing them.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 07 October 2023, 21:40:22 »
Apropos of nothing, I was reading FM: Lyran Alliance last night and noticed a blurb in the infantry section that, at least immediately post-secession, the LAAF was side lining battle armor, so having a fast omni to deliver them really wasn't a priority. Coupled with a general shift away from Omnis (see the Argus and Thanatos), the Stiletto was probably doomed to never see an omni version.
Those were both FS designs, they don't really have a lot of bearing on Lyran Mech development (the Hauptmann was developed in the LA at the same time, recall).
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #10 on: 07 October 2023, 22:28:23 »
Those were both FS designs, they don't really have a lot of bearing on Lyran Mech development (the Hauptmann was developed in the LA at the same time, recall).

The Hauptmann hit production a year before the Thanatos and two years before the Argus.  The Lyrans produced no new omnimechs after the Hauptmann until the Gauntlet, IIRC.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #11 on: 07 October 2023, 22:54:50 »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #12 on: 08 October 2023, 07:16:34 »
FedCom civil war troubles (they didn’t sell to Katrina supporters, and then shortly after the civil war the WoB hit Coventry and took it over. It never had much of a chance to catch on in universe)
It was released right in ‘the dark times’
It’s not a good mech
The good variant looks silly
Other mechs have more attraction either as new new mechs or variants of classics

Actually, most of the variants don’t seem too bad. The original model is a bit lacking in firepower, but otherwise, they seem to be fairly decent for speed and firepower for that size ‘Mech.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 08 October 2023, 08:11:08 »
Actually, most of the variants don’t seem too bad. The original model is a bit lacking in firepower, but otherwise, they seem to be fairly decent for speed and firepower for that size ‘Mech.

Ruger

I agree the variants are good or at least better. But from my Sarna sluthing, there is a ten year gap between when the 4A and 4B came out, and the other ones came out.  2003 and 2013. It was released at the end of of battletech (at the time, and was given a short update before the rebirth).

It’s not one of the things I listed, imo it’s all of them combined.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #14 on: 08 October 2023, 11:13:13 »
it also doesn't help that the mini is gigantic. it's comically tall.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #15 on: 08 October 2023, 14:02:54 »
It's from back at the time when IWM's idea of "scale" was "something that does not exist."
« Last Edit: 08 October 2023, 15:15:20 by MoneyLovinOgre4Hire »

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #16 on: 08 October 2023, 14:44:29 »
it also doesn't help that the mini is gigantic. it's comically tall.
indeed, it was quite an unwelcome surprise.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #17 on: 11 October 2023, 13:27:10 »
It's from back at the time when IWM's idea of "scale" was "something that does not exist."

it's the only light i have on a metal base because it will tip on a plastic one

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
« Reply #18 on: 11 October 2023, 14:53:42 »
it's the only light i have on a metal base because it will tip on a plastic one

Yeah, there were other light mech minis that were also poorly balanced, but none were quite so massive.  I'm pretty sure it outweights some of my assault mech minis.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 12 October 2023, 16:32:12 »
To answer the thread question with a joke:

The BattleTech Gods said to Stiletto:  "Armor, Speed, Firepower.  Pick 2, and choose wisely."

Stiletto thought about it and said "how bout just a little bit of each, that'll work, right?"

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 18 October 2023, 23:09:22 »
To answer the thread question with a joke:

The BattleTech Gods said to Stiletto:  "Armor, Speed, Firepower.  Pick 2, and choose wisely."

Stiletto thought about it and said "how bout just a little bit of each, that'll work, right?"
Kind of this. Keep in mind that we're talking about a LIGHT 'Mech, which have a hard time making themselves as they want to go fast but can't match hovercraft, consider that I can put the same warload moving the same speed on the ever available Heavy Hover APC, which uses an ICE engine compared to the Light Engine in this thing and it's no wonder it didn't take off.