Author Topic: FM: Mercs Rev Administrative Roles  (Read 1063 times)

BLOODWOLF

• Warrant Officer
FM: Mercs Rev Administrative Roles
« on: 02 September 2018, 15:05:45 »
I dont see anywhere on whether the administrative negotiation and strategic bonuses (pg. 151) are cumulative or not.  At least no where that states it specifically but, I think it should be.  Are they if I have battalion commanders with a secondary role of admin/command, regimental commanders, and a division commander all with the admin/command role (of at least veteran level) do those stack according to the book for the negotiation and strategic bonuses?

I am trying to run a Davion House unit like a modern US military unit (understands BT != the real world but, I can still try) and am running into a little bit of a headache trying to decide what admin roles should apply to what rank.  And I think we could really use another admin role of "operations" to make sense for a modern military structure and even one that can apply to the BT Universe.

Admin/Command: Your lance, company, battalion, etc commanders and really I think should only effect contract negotiation and the strategic-level "big picture" stuff.  They don't have the experience as the veteran senior NCO's and aren't involved in the combat aspect once they get to company+ level at least in infantry units.

Admin/Operations:  Your company sergeants and battalion+ operation chiefs.  Their skills would apply to individual battles and re-rolling of the various map conditions.  And would have higher tactics skills than the officers or other staff NCO's since their whole job focus it to be military experts in their profession and the combat-orientated aspect.

Admin/HR:  Your platoon sergeants, company first sergeants and battalion+ sergeant majors who's jobs are the personnel of the unit.  Enforcing the standards on training, conduct, appearance, and various regulations on the enlisted personnel.  Would have the highest leadership skills since their whole job is focused on the people aspect and managing the enlisted personnel compared to the company CO's or higher who the enlisted people rarely ever see or have any direct contact with.

Admin/Logistics:  Your company+ executive officers and motor-pool senior NCOs who's jobs are to coordinate and manage the whole logistics aspect of a unit (ordering parts) so, this role makes sense already.

Admin/Transportation:  Your motor-pool commanders who would realistically be the negotiators for the transport clause so, this role is fine and easy to adapt.

And like for the Dragoon Rating - Commander Rating section of the score (pg. 153), it is impossible for a single commander to run an entire unit(specially larger than a company), a "unit" is a team effort and it is never one single person managing the whole thing so, why shouldn't the entire staff's skills in negotiation - tactics be taken into account?  A unit with more leaders and higher skilled leaders would be a better overall unit and would also allow the burden of a single commander having to possess every one of those skills to be transferred across his staff instead and work as a team should.  Your officers would only have to worry about the strategy and negotiation skills and your staff NCOs are responsible for leadership and tactics, it makes sense to me.

I understand this whole book is about mercenary units but, I dont see how a Kell Hounds battalion would not be managed just like how a modern Army or Marine Corps battalion is managed today, it makes sense and works.  So, the questions are could we use a admin/operations role or does that not seem necessary?  And why not total up a unit's entire staff of skills for the commander score in the dragoon ratings section?

Register