Author Topic: The Art of War: Home of the Capellan Confederation!  (Read 143122 times)

Minemech

• Captain
Re: The Art of War: Home of the Capellan Confederation!
« Reply #930 on: 27 January 2024, 07:41:07 »
 The Federated Suns do have a history of being pragmatic in their mercenary hires. Really, the Combine is the least pragmatic state when it comes to mercenaries, as well as the one most likely to turn the sword to them. If the Big Mac is truly at least having some units go mercenary again, it would be an ingenious move to start there for that reason, to build bona fides. If they are not, something is up.

Grizzly

• Master Sergeant
  • Average Liao Enjoyer
« Reply #931 on: 27 January 2024, 08:18:42 »
Some of the devs mentioned thinning out the CCAF back to parity with other houses armed forces. At least this way (Mccarron's defecting) helps achieve that without making a favorite unit unplayable.

I wonder if we'll hear about it in the Blood Will Tell sequel, and if we'll hear from Lindsey Baxter again.

"I checked the [MUL] log, and it says that you--specifically--broke it." -Greekfire

Check out my tribute to the CCAF at www.instagram.com/average_liao_enjoyer/

MWO handle: Grizlie
Mercenaries Kickstarter backer #268

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
  • Is this the real life...
« Reply #932 on: 27 January 2024, 14:29:25 »
The Federated Suns do have a history of being pragmatic in their mercenary hires. Really, the Combine is the least pragmatic state when it comes to mercenaries, as well as the one most likely to turn the sword to them. If the Big Mac is truly at least having some units go mercenary again, it would be an ingenious move to start there for that reason, to build bona fides. If they are not, something is up.

There's pragmatism, and there's hiring a unit that has committed warcrimes for generations against the Capellan March. Especially with tensions between the March Lords and Julian being as high as they are, it would be a mistake to add even more tension to it, especially when you have to assume there are Mask spies as BrianDavion pointed out.
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III
https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84031.0

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #933 on: 27 January 2024, 14:46:45 »
Carrying on with the spy concern, the MAC where for a good long time, nearly a century by 3152, the premier military formation of the CCAF.

TRO 3145 describes their reputation as "Their reputation for stubborn tenacity, zealous loyalty, and
successful results"

So, Imagine you're in charge of the AFFS, 5 regiments of capellan troops FAMED FOR THEIR LOYALTY show up on yoiur doorstep and claim they wanna work for you, you gonna trust them? Or are you going to remember when happened the last time capellan troops where offered to garrison a fedsuns world (Tikonov in the FCCW, the capellans annexed the planet)
The Suns will shine again

Templar87

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #934 on: 27 January 2024, 15:32:43 »
There's pragmatism, and there's hiring a unit that has committed warcrimes for generations against the Capellan March. Especially with tensions between the March Lords and Julian being as high as they are, it would be a mistake to add even more tension to it, especially when you have to assume there are Mask spies as BrianDavion pointed out.

Forget £generations", that was gleefully committing atrocities up and down the Capellan March less than three years ago (in-universe), and Daoshen just executed the least war crime-y MAC regimental commander (Gwendolyn Vaughan, 5 MAC's CO) for a bunch of stuff that's his own damn fault.
« Last Edit: 27 January 2024, 15:49:42 by Templar87 »
“Keep your feet on the ground, a spare magazine in your pocket, watch your buddy’s back and never, ever give anything but your all!”
–First Prince Andrew Davion
"He who has made no mistakes in war has never made war."
- Henri de la Tour d'Auvergne, Vicomte de Turenne, Marshal of France, 1641

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #935 on: 27 January 2024, 17:03:37 »
 The Northwind Highlanders were zealous and highly regarded line units for the CCAF until the 4th.

Angrii

• Sergeant
« Reply #936 on: 27 January 2024, 17:12:18 »
I wonder if we'll hear about it in the Blood Will Tell sequel, and if we'll hear from Lindsey Baxter again.

There's going to be a sequel? Exciting!
Welcome to interesting times

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #937 on: 27 January 2024, 19:58:26 »
The Northwind Highlanders were zealous and highly regarded line units for the CCAF until the 4th.

There's a difference between zealous and highly regarded and actively hostile to the state in question. Both the Davion Brigade of Guards and the Syrtis Fusiliers are highly zealous and well regarded, but I'm willing to bet the Capellans would be much more comfortable working with the Guards.
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #938 on: 27 January 2024, 20:12:31 »
 In the case of the Confederation, it really depends on who is in charge. With Maximilian he really would not have cared who the unit was, or of its reputation because he was stylized to be exceedingly masterful at his manipulations before the Fourth. The Fourth was his loss.

Romano would simply have them killed.

I could similarly see Sun-Tzu being pragmatic if it suited him, but would establish barriers that Maximilian likely would not have.

With Daoshen, he would probably find ways to use them whilst deciding between granting them citizenship or servitorship while they were doing his dirty work. He would be more apt to out-doublecross them in the end.

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #939 on: 27 January 2024, 20:29:56 »
There's a difference between zealous and highly regarded and actively hostile to the state in question. Both the Davion Brigade of Guards and the Syrtis Fusiliers are highly zealous and well regarded, but I'm willing to bet the Capellans would be much more comfortable working with the Guards.

yeah no, if the Davion Brigade of guards defected and tried to go emrcenary I'd fully expect NO ONE to hire them eaither :P

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #940 on: 27 January 2024, 21:06:47 »
Na, the Lyran Commonwealth would hire them in a hurry. Frankly in their shape, I would not be surprised if they were sending agents to Tortuga Prime (Well that is hyperbolic, but not so much).

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #941 on: 28 January 2024, 04:07:30 »
Vastly upsetting as the MAC are my Capellan brigade  :cry:
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Angrii

• Sergeant
« Reply #942 on: 28 January 2024, 09:47:26 »
It's always possible they won't leave wholesale. Maybe there will be a schism with certain elements staying behind; those loyal to Danai, perhaps?

Spirit Cat Refugee

• Sergeant
  • Still alive
« Reply #943 on: 28 January 2024, 10:37:53 »
It's always possible they won't leave wholesale. Maybe there will be a schism with certain elements staying behind; those loyal to Danai, perhaps?

Any that stay will be suspect and probably executed by Daoshen in his egomania.
Clan Protectorate

VensersRevenge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #944 on: 28 January 2024, 14:53:46 »
Romano Liao didn't kill the Northwind Highlanders who stayed, and she was at least as vicious and unstable as Daoshen, so I don't think it's a guarantee.
...Is this just fantasy?
Warship Arms Race III

BrianDavion

• Captain
« Reply #945 on: 28 January 2024, 15:22:38 »
I imagine if any stay behind they'll get a "rebrand" to "Confederation Armored Cavalry" or something.
Hell it's possiable that Daoshen provokes the Mutiny by ATTEMPTING to force a rename "well Danai is in charge now, and thus the brigade is to be named the 'Liao Armored Cavalry"

Grizzly

• Master Sergeant
  • Average Liao Enjoyer
« Reply #946 on: 29 January 2024, 01:02:04 »

Yes I've been wondering if the 2nd MAC will stay while the other four regiments defect. Danai seems to have a cult of personality so it's likely enough.

"I checked the [MUL] log, and it says that you--specifically--broke it." -Greekfire

Check out my tribute to the CCAF at www.instagram.com/average_liao_enjoyer/

MWO handle: Grizlie
Mercenaries Kickstarter backer #268

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #947 on: 16 February 2024, 10:27:01 »
What we know of the status of the factories in Victoria?

Historical: Wars of the Republic Era tells us that all facilities were in ruins for one reason or another (Shengli, Trellis Electronics and Earthwerks). We know by other products that the FS sold what remained of Shengli to Kallon, that produced a number of FS mechs like Shadow Hawks, Jagermechs and Penetrators, and apparently after the CC retook the planet, the facility was renamed Shengli again (as per Shrapnel #12 Jinggau entry). Kallon was also making the Paladin Defense System.

Now, i can imagine Trellis Electronics beign rebuild to produce stuff for the Kallon lines. But....what happened to Earthwerk´s lines? They used to build the Flea, but MUL does not show any Flea model beign used by the FS. We know that Earthwerks was also building the Flea in Grand Base, so....we can assume that the Victoria facility was destroyed, or, if it was rebuild, its building Fleas for the mercenary market?
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #948 on: 17 February 2024, 13:25:16 »
Page 63 of the Republic wars states "The factories were returned to functionality in the next decade". So the assumption should be that all factories were churning out material again. Though as you suggest some perhaps only for mercenary markets.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #949 on: 17 February 2024, 22:03:18 »
also possible that when they rebuilt them, they retooled them for some other mech design.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #950 on: 17 February 2024, 22:33:13 »
From FM3145: "When the Haseks drove the Capellans from Vic
also possible that when they rebuilt them, they retooled them for some other mech design.

Given that the rebuild Shengli factories were doing just that, that's the most logical assumption.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Baldur Mekorig

• Lieutenant
  • Join the Brotherhood, our mechs are cuter!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #951 on: 18 February 2024, 10:31:43 »

Update: Looks like Earthwerks´s Victoria facility survived, and was, at least, building the Crosscut Loggermech and MODs for it (TRO Irregulars). Whats gives me some doubs, mostly because english is not my main language and maybe dont get the full meaning, is this fragment:

A more elaborate refit employs one of the many surplus GM 120 engines left over from endless “bug-’Mech” production. Performed only when a spare reactor is available, this MOD equips a powerful extended range large laser.

It talks about "many surplus GM 120 engines left over", but later says "when a spare reactor is avaible"....so, Earthwerks Victoria have a surplus of GM 120 engines, but they are using them for "something" and only when there is a spare the create the Crosscut MOD?
Oh my brother, with your courage we can conquer,
In your sword I put my trust that you will honor
I will be the higher ground should you concede it
And my body be your shield if you should need it.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #952 on: 18 February 2024, 12:09:51 »
General Motors are making the 120 on Victoria because of the Flea productions. Either the OG 17 or the updated 19 models.

Victoria

UPDATE: It looks like the Crosscut MOD is the E variant, not the A as listed, when talking about the "large laser". Which would be used like the old Panther-10K, creating 1 extra heat point and not enough to effectively cool down before you have to disengage, otherwise Stackpole happens?

TT
« Last Edit: 18 February 2024, 12:20:29 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Angrii

• Sergeant
« Reply #953 on: 26 April 2024, 06:30:06 »
We know Warrior House Ijori changed their paint scheme to camouflage as a mark of shame after the Black May incident, but do we know if that's still the case after their reformation in the Dark Age? I want to say yes because camo suits their new SOP i.e. ambush/infiltration but what do others think?

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #954 on: 26 April 2024, 07:40:21 »
We know Warrior House Ijori changed their paint scheme to camouflage as a mark of shame after the Black May incident, but do we know if that's still the case after their reformation in the Dark Age? I want to say yes because camo suits their new SOP i.e. ambush/infiltration but what do others think?

I couldn’t find anything to the contrary, and my first impulse was the same as yours: it’s likely the same because of the nature of their reformation and how they operate.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #955 on: 26 April 2024, 19:22:43 »
I think it could go either way. Keeping to camo certainly feels right given their MO, no argument. But Black May was a long time passed by the time they were reformed, and that reformation always felt a little pageantry-like as it reads in FM3145- using the survivors of the resistance to form a new Warrior House and rebasing them to Liao, quite the propaganda coup. I could easily see them wearing something other than camo to fit into that. Though at the same time, I'd note the sole example Ijori mini on CSO seems to have brown and beige camo with green-silver accents, so the answer to camo or classic could just as easily be "both."
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I