Author Topic: Coils of the Adder: Home of Clan Star Adder  (Read 220860 times)

Fletch

• Captain
Re: Coils of the Adder: Home of Clan Star Adder
« Reply #750 on: 15 March 2014, 20:13:19 »
I can see the Lions being distracted by the local QuadVe dealership.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #751 on: 15 March 2014, 20:18:42 »
I can see the Lions being distracted by the local QuadVe dealership.

You're obsessed brother

Crazy Horses love tanks so much they made mechs out of them.  Kind of like Utes I guess.  When you love trucks but you need the performance of a 6+ liter V8. ;)

To the patient go the spoils

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #752 on: 15 March 2014, 21:19:50 »
I won't be surprised if the Lions and Horses reunite under Adder leadership.  Not surprised if that was not the plan all along.  Hey it's the Adders and Horses, if any two clans could get together and run a game like that, it's them.

If any Clan is bound to prostitute itself out to the Adders, it'll be the Horses, since that's one of their defining traits. :)
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #753 on: 15 March 2014, 22:11:57 »
See fun ride, will ride it!

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #754 on: 15 March 2014, 23:33:07 »
A snake riding a horse.  Something pretty damned primal about that imagery.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Gäiten

• Warrant Officer
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #755 on: 16 March 2014, 06:42:25 »
A snake riding a horse.  Something pretty damned primal about that imagery.

Indeed:

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Herpeto-Horse-bookmark-411531975

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #756 on: 17 March 2014, 18:47:41 »
Nice artwork.  A sort of medusa horse.   O0

Anyway, I had a question I wanted to ask here on the Star Adder thread so as not to drag the others further off course than they have been running: 

How do the Star Adders fans feel about the news of their Clan probably not really being a White Hat at all? 

Not that I ever subscribed to the Adder White Hat notion myself, I figured they were up to something very gray or darker shaded.  But I know other players in the community have said that they view them as such.  So I thought I'd ask.  The Brett Andrews banner made me ask it. 
« Last Edit: 17 March 2014, 18:49:59 by rebs »

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

SulliMike23

• Lieutenant
  • The Brotherhood will expand in the Inner Sphere!
« Reply #757 on: 17 March 2014, 20:10:00 »
It makes me wonder how the Hell's Horses would feel if they saw an animal like that.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #758 on: 17 March 2014, 20:27:05 »
Nice artwork.  A sort of medusa horse.   O0

Anyway, I had a question I wanted to ask here on the Star Adder thread so as not to drag the others further off course than they have been running: 

How do the Star Adders fans feel about the news of their Clan probably not really being a White Hat at all? 

Not that I ever subscribed to the Adder White Hat notion myself, I figured they were up to something very gray or darker shaded.  But I know other players in the community have said that they view them as such.  So I thought I'd ask.  The Brett Andrews banner made me ask it.

There was a lot of "white hat Adder" talk before and after WoR came out.  I was in the white hat camp before WoR, and caught a lot of flak for it (mostly from the Spirits fans around here).  But after WoR it became obvious they were no more good guy than any other clan.  They are better than the Vipers but, just barely.  They proved that they will do what ever it takes to accomplish their goals.

They are winners, people hate winners.  It makes sense that they win a lot, but that does not matter.  The problem is they win by politicking, ortillery, and acting like a military... not the way clans are supposed to behave.

I honestly hope the Adders (and friends) do come to the Inner Sphere.  Then the Adders have no reason to be the covert bad guy.  The writer doesn't have the handcuff of making them try to keep the hat white.  I'd love nothing more than a new invasion where the Adders plan and think like Adders and unleash the full clan ear machine.  Let them be the new Jaguars (but still let them plan and fight like Adders).

The Adders are not as bad as they get portrayed on this forum, but they are not good guys for sure.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #759 on: 17 March 2014, 20:52:32 »
I have nothing against them. I hope they get more fans.

I can get behind most factions. The Adders just bore me.

Give me blakists any day of the week.

Having recently studied the vipers more I can honestly say I do not care for them either way and thats a problem.

I genuinely dislike the Jade Falcons and ironically that makes me like them quite a bit. I do not love playing them but Iam happy they are here.

I have a fear that if the adders are the boogeymen we are making them out to be I will still be bored with them.

Give them a brett andrews or a malvina.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #760 on: 17 March 2014, 20:53:33 »
Part of what prompted me to ask was remembering how the Smoke Jaguars were heels, or portrayed as such when needed. 

The Adders have a shot at being so much more than just heels, or even mustache twirlers, but a dangerous nemesis.  Like their Remembrance lines.  And they have the time to do it, if the time jump comes into play.   

But for now we have smugly ambitious to go on.  That alone provides a wealth of possibilities for the imagination.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #761 on: 17 March 2014, 20:58:56 »
The Adders never wore the white hat because none of the Clans have ever worn the white hat.

They are winners, people hate winners.  It makes sense that they win a lot, but that does not matter.  The problem is they win by politicking, ortillery, and acting like a military... not the way clans are supposed to behave.

Saying that people hate the Adders because they're winners is a simplistic way of putting it. A more accurate way to put it is that people hate the Adders because they have no weaknesses (every faction in this game has a weakness of some sort) and because on the rare few occasions where they've failed to do something, they've without exception come out on top.

To say that the Adders aren't as bad as they're portrayed on this forum is accurate, though. They're worse.

And why is this "smugly ambitious" thing news? The Adders have ALWAYS been smugly ambitious. All one has to do is read their Field Manual entries for evidence of that. Especially FM:U, that entry was especially self-aggrandizing.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #762 on: 17 March 2014, 21:09:37 »
I think they are just happy to know that the homeworlds exist (even if its an april fools joke)

I for one look forward to the return of the coyotes. I hope they are still native american techno cultists.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #763 on: 17 March 2014, 21:12:36 »
The Adders never wore the white hat because none of the Clans have ever worn the white hat.

Wolves in Exile wear white hats all the live long day.  But their Clanhood gets questioned constantly for it.   ;)

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #764 on: 17 March 2014, 21:45:31 »
Wolves in Exile wear white hats all the live long day.  But their Clanhood gets questioned constantly for it.   ;)

They aren't Clan, though. They were Abjured. So their argument is invalid. ;)

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #765 on: 17 March 2014, 21:47:53 »
I trial. Therefore I clan.

_ unaccounted

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #766 on: 17 March 2014, 21:57:14 »
I trial. Therefore I clan.

So I guess that makes every power that took part in the Great Refusal a Clan as well? ;)

(I was speaking strictly from a legal standpoint. The Exiled Wolves are no longer Clan, thus why none of the other Clans recognize them as such. Ditto the Nova Cats. After that point, especially with the expulsion of the invading Clans and the formation of the Council of Six, that definition becomes a good deal muddier. But pretty much every Clan, invader or Homeworld, agrees on this point.)

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #767 on: 18 March 2014, 07:23:17 »
@Tassa, you gotta think like an Adder... scary thought

I really don't think the Adders are evil, they ain't good guys either.  I also don't think they are as vanilla as people here say.  They do win and stay a float because they are cunning and strategic in all facets of the universe.  I know it's boring for a faction to not have weaknesses but it's the reasons they are so solid that make them interesting to me.

And yes, the Adders have been smugly ambitious since before REVIVAL.  I truly believe their long term plan was manipulating an all out total war invasion of the Inner Sphere.

And yes, I am elated to hear the Adders still exist in the story and that we will see them again, eventually.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #768 on: 18 March 2014, 10:53:52 »
@Tassa, you gotta think like an Adder... scary thought

You mean, think like a manipulative, hypocritical, self-serving human being? Not so scary, or difficult, at all. :))

I really don't think the Adders are evil, they ain't good guys either.  I also don't think they are as vanilla as people here say.  They do win and stay a float because they are cunning and strategic in all facets of the universe.  I know it's boring for a faction to not have weaknesses but it's the reasons they are so solid that make them interesting to me.

Every faction in this game has drawbacks, which is by design, in order to keep some sort of balance. The Star Adders lack any such drawbacks, which of course is going to draw ire from people...especially those players who have had to pay the price for tha, like us Blood Spirit players. ;)

And yes, the Adders have been smugly ambitious since before REVIVAL.  I truly believe their long term plan was manipulating an all out total war invasion of the Inner Sphere.

Agreed. I also agree with their outlook on that as well. It's the only way the Clans will ever have a hope of achieving Kerensky's twisted dream.

And yes, I am elated to hear the Adders still exist in the story and that we will see them again, eventually.

Meanwhile, some of us have had to find new factions if we hope to stay relevant as players in the larger community. Understand why that bothers some of us.

Honestly, if the Colleen system had gone undetected and the Spirits were left out in the Deep Periphery never to be heard from again, that would not only have been acceptable, it would've been thematically fitting and poetically just. It's what they want, after all, to be alone.

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #769 on: 18 March 2014, 11:07:36 »
Very good. They have gotten far more interesting.

They are in the interstice between Light and Darkness, they are grey  ;)
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #770 on: 26 March 2014, 17:25:28 »
If it makes you adders feel better I like pretty much all the factions but I think the fedsuns are pretty dull too.

I like some of their leaders and the rabid foxes.. and then... ugh... the most interesting thing about them is the outback. Which is boring on purpose.

Maybe you could develop something like an autocannon addiction.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #771 on: 26 March 2014, 17:42:05 »
If it makes you adders feel better I like pretty much all the factions but I think the fedsuns are pretty dull too.

I like some of their leaders and the rabid foxes.. and then... ugh... the most interesting thing about them is the outback. Which is boring on purpose.

Maybe you could develop something like an autocannon addiction.

Stanislov N'buta and Hannibal Banacek are great characters.  Absalom Truscott is awesome, so what if he's smarter than you and knows that you know it.

N'buta had a building dropped on his mech and survived, like a factory.  Plus, dude rides a Night Gyr, best mech ever.  Boring khans ride a Dire Wolf. 

Banacek; if you don't like him for his take down of Andrews then YOU are boring.

Boring clans don't have their sakhan smash the Ilkhan's face through his brain in grand council chamber.  Oh, and said boring clan's sakhan does Not then turn around and tell the other clans they will now kill the former Ilkhans entire clan... and have all of them agree.

Read some of the Adder specific parts of WoR, particularly the parts after they consolidate their touman (cuz they were smarter that you monkey clan).  Nothing boring about the level of hurting they put on the Society, Burrocks, and Vipers.

Bland doesn't destroy their rivals homeworld from orbit, DC can't do it, Jaguars just did a city and became baddy #1.  Adders killed a planet, that ain't boring.  It was so fraking mustache twirl it even made me mad...

The Adders are not boring, they are a clan with common sense that's not afraid to hit you over the head with the biggest stick in clan space.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #772 on: 26 March 2014, 17:49:31 »
Boring clans don't have their sakhan smash the Ilkhan's face through his brain in grand council chamber.  Oh, and said boring clan's sakhan does Not then turn around and tell the other clans they will now kill the former Ilkhans entire clan... and have all of them agree.

O0  (the Bloody ilKhan agrees, too)  ;D

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #773 on: 26 March 2014, 19:22:38 »
O0  (the Bloody ilKhan agrees, too)  ;D

I came for the big stompy robots and stayed for the elementals smashing dudes heads in with a colorful snake mask.

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #774 on: 26 March 2014, 20:24:32 »
How it happened*

Writer 1 -'The Khans really get reduced to wearing silly ceremonial masks?'
Writer 2 -'Yep, though one day someone will kill another with their mask'
Writer 1 - 'Cool'

* I am sure it really didn't

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #775 on: 26 March 2014, 20:25:49 »
How it happened*

Writer 1 -'The Khans really get reduced to wearing silly ceremonial masks?'
Writer 2 -'Yep, though one day someone will kill another with their mask'
Writer 1 - 'Cool'

* I am sure it really didn't

Didn't Vlad already do this a couple of times?

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #776 on: 26 March 2014, 20:31:59 »
Vlad didn't beat on a competent ilKhan. 

Big distinction.   ;D

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #777 on: 26 March 2014, 20:33:18 »
N'buta had a building dropped on his mech and survived, like a factory.  Plus, dude rides a Night Gyr, best mech ever.  Boring khans ride a Dire Wolf. 

Vlad had that happen. Then he snapped his arm back in place and rebuilt Clan Wolf by dumpster diving.

Banacek; if you don't like him for his take down of Andrews then YOU are boring.

Vlad kills tons of dudes. I think its a tradition now when a Grand Council meets Vlad Ward kills at least one Khan. That's how you know the council is in session.

Read some of the Adder specific parts of WoR, particularly the parts after they consolidate their touman (cuz they were smarter that you monkey clan).  Nothing boring about the level of hurting they put on the Society, Burrocks, and Vipers.

I read the whole book.

Honestly, I want to apologize because what I do not want to do is come into the Star Adder page and be antagonistic towards you.

What I really totally definitely never want to do is change your mind. If I come in here and say, "Clan Star Adder is boring" and you said, "You are right. I'll switch Clans" I would be mortified and crushed.

I came in and said it because I've talked about it on other boards and I do like to discuss it because its fun to discuss things on the battletech board.

Its entirely subjective whether or not the Star Adders are boring or not. If you think they are the most awesome interesting clan in battletech then that's actually true because it is your opinion.

Bland doesn't destroy their rivals homeworld from orbit, DC can't do it, Jaguars just did a city and became baddy #1.  Adders killed a planet, that ain't boring.  It was so fraking mustache twirl it even made me mad...

But as a parting mention Vlads destroying the Kerensky genetic depository like a magician was pretty amazing. I am glad someone turned Brett Andrews into a smear after he killed Labov. But if there is one whole pile of awesome in the Wars of Reaving sourcebook it was the Vipers.

They were so cool it killed them.
« Last Edit: 27 March 2014, 09:09:22 by Kitsune413 »

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #778 on: 26 March 2014, 23:06:36 »
But if there is one whole pile of awesome in the Wars of Reaving sourcebook it was the Vipers.

They were so cool it killed them.
The Adders are not boring, they are a clan with common sense that's not afraid to hit you over the head with the biggest stick in clan space.

Yep, that's for building and taking us on the ride but now it is time for a corporate takeover  8)

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #779 on: 27 March 2014, 02:39:28 »
@Kitsune

Convince me to switch factions???  Sorry little Shark/Fox, you're not that good of a salesman.

My post was mostly in jest, I know the Adders don't have the flavor some of the other clans do.  I think WoR does some work at changing that though.