Author Topic: Coils of the Adder: Home of Clan Star Adder  (Read 221267 times)

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Re: Coils of the Adder: Home of Clan Star Adder
« Reply #810 on: 29 March 2014, 13:44:38 »
The Adder/Home Clan threat is such that the Sea Foxes might have a keen interest in keeping the Imperio from falling, using their considerable wealth to their own ends in the matter. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #811 on: 29 March 2014, 14:02:45 »
I agree, that is how it has been.  But the future always brings with it change.  I think the Sea Foxes cannot help but follow their curiosity, a lot like the Imperio and the Goliath Scorpions were before that.  And an Abjured Clan attempting to survive is a market of considerable size.

It might be a market of considerable size but more importantly it is not a profitable market.  Sure Sea Fox has a lot to offer the Imperio but the Imperio has little to nothing to offer in exchange.  Political instability and irregular Clan raids makes trading expeditions and long term investment too risky.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Gäiten

• Warrant Officer
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #812 on: 29 March 2014, 14:11:55 »
Last but not least, such support would get the Sharks swiftly retaliation from the Homeclans.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #813 on: 29 March 2014, 14:24:25 »
So you are saying it would have to be in secret, quiaff?   :)

Not sure how the Sea Foxes are about secret weapons dealings... Now I remember, they are not adverse to that at all and have taken the hit for doing so in their relations with fellow Clans, and then the Foxes continued to do so whenever the situation arises it seems. 

The Sea Foxes may have a whole lot to lose if the Adders ever hit the Chainlanes hard and scoured the cluster for the Sea Foxes installations and facilities.   Since that might be imperative, of which warship and jumpship repair facilities often are, then they will have to do something.  They have a history of violence with the Hansa, but are now content with Watch operations and the like there, as with the Imperio (ISP3 said that Interstellar Expeditions got their updated info on the Imperio from them, so they are in the region way back at that time).  By 3145, so much more will have happened.  Then by 3150, who knows how much more...  onward toward a possible time leap.
« Last Edit: 29 March 2014, 14:31:38 by rebs »

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #814 on: 29 March 2014, 17:13:39 »
Careful Rebs, you cant hypothesize on future outcomes without strictly following all facts from the sourcebooks that took place 60 years ago.

That way when the writers have something change or write something new to supplement the old stuff we can be blown away by its inconceivableness.

Honestly I dont see the sea foxes and the adders getting along.

But the bastion and aggressor political parties that were in their infancy at the end of the wars of reaving have 60 years to change and grow based on their reverence for an insane dead ilkhan and the last words of an adder khan.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #815 on: 29 March 2014, 17:54:25 »
Careful Kitsune, sounds like you are starting to like a certain boring Snake Clan.  Or comfy up with them.  The Star Adders have all kinds of upside.   
;D

Now, the agents of the Sea Fox Watch in the Imperio were killed, as alluded to in the ISP3 Imperio chapter.  So Fox contact with them might not be resumed, but contact with the Adders or Home Clans (violent contact or otherwise) might still occur in the Hansa space, where they could fight in a rival trade power's powerbase and try to keep the focus of conflict away from their own holdings of importance for as long as possible.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #816 on: 29 March 2014, 18:27:39 »
Careful Rebs, you cant hypothesize on future outcomes without strictly following all facts from the sourcebooks that took place 60 years ago.

Not necessary, bro.

"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #817 on: 29 March 2014, 20:16:01 »
I think that you are seeing a vacuum because of the way things are written. The dark age setting was largely, or possibly, oblivious to the homeworlds. Really a rending of falcons has senna rodriguez admit that five clans died and the clans left the homeworlds.

The reboot did not admit much.

The Wars of Reaving were written after that and It seems had a fairly clean slate, at least we are able to argue which clans could have died, which suggests things were not written in stone(lions).

So then you have the vacuum. The inner sphere clans may not have occasion to venture towards the deep periphery to figure out what is going on. But is clan sea fox sticking to a boundary? Are they refusing to venture past the chainelanes?

Do they never head to the jarnfolk to trade? Do the jarnfolk not trade with the hansa anymore?

There is a deep periphery sized hole in the current fluff. Did IE die? We do not know what is going on in the hansa, or the imperio, but we had organizations that spent alot of time out there.

Clan sea fox took over the chainelanes which is a prime training ground to keep up with their intimidating and professional watch. You see them utilizing this watch in the inner sphere frequently. But the dark age fluff has no reason to concern them with the dep periphery because at that time there was no wars of reaving.

The chances of clan sea fox not having a concurent relationship with the adders, whether antagonistic or protaganistic seems unlikely because of rationale thought.

The clans have not forgotten that the homeworlds are out there. Or that the deep periphery is out there. At some point the narrative is going to reconcile this gap.

If it turns out that clan sea fox has ignoring the hansa which is few light years away from the chainelanes and is known for trading I will be surprised.

People have been taking for face value this idea that the homeworlds have self destructed when our last snap shot of them has them being fairly healthy. But the faction most likely to interact with them is being surprisingly secretive. Even though the two goals are antithesis to eachother it still begs for questions.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #818 on: 29 March 2014, 20:23:39 »
Careful Kitsune, sounds like you are starting to like a certain boring Snake Clan.  Or comfy up with them.  The Star Adders have all kinds of upside.   
;D

I feel like their destined purpose is something that clan sea fox would genuinely dislike. I actually think the adders are the gravest threat to clan sea fox.

I still do not feel like they have a true culture. They are a bit vanilla. But they are a foil for the whole of the inner sphere.

I think pre- wars of reaving they were a fantastic fox ally as far as crusaders go. Also one of clan sea foxes few intellectual contemparies. Most clans simply do not see Kerenskys words as a general guideline rather than law.

I think the homeworlds are the narrative future of the franchise though. I hope the future is interesting and fun and that we sea foxes can have at least a few khanates limp away ready for more battletech at the end of it.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #819 on: 30 March 2014, 01:04:36 »
The chances of clan sea fox not having a concurent relationship with the adders, whether antagonistic or protaganistic seems unlikely because of rationale thought.

You are forgetting that the Star Adders have a standing policy to shoot down any vessel going to or coming from the Inner Sphere.  They obliterated the Damascus when it tried to violate the isolationist policy.  If they are willing to shoot down a fellow Homeworld Clan WarShip, you had better believe that they will do that to any Sea Fox vessel that comes too close.

The clans have not forgotten that the homeworlds are out there. Or that the deep periphery is out there. At some point the narrative is going to reconcile this gap.

While they may not have forgotten, until they receive some world that the Homeworld Clans are on the move, they couldn't care less.  With the Blackout and the Inner Sphere boiling over, they have far more immediate concerns.

If it turns out that clan sea fox has ignoring the hansa which is few light years away from the chainelanes and is known for trading I will be surprised.

The Hanseatic League is more than 300 light years aware from the Chainelane Isles.  Again while it is likely that the Sea Fox Watch has assets in the Hanseatic League, the League is too far away for the merchant caste to have much interest in them.  If the Hansa want to bring trade to them-fine, if not-still fine.  After all they have the entire Inner Sphere market to keep them busy.

People have been taking for face value this idea that the homeworlds have self destructed when our last snap shot of them has them being fairly healthy.

Since when?  As far as I can tell, most people on these boards believe that the Homeworld Clans have been biding their time, building up their strength in preparation for a new invasion.  I don't recall anybody saying that they have self-destructed.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #820 on: 30 March 2014, 07:02:16 »
 A few folks have indeed posted the hope they blew themselves up, the MD shot asteroids at them, etc

Those people fall into 3 categories:
1.) humorous
2.) missed the WoR supplemental
3.) general disdain for the clans to start with/wishful thinking

It's funny if you watch these forums for a while.  It's fine for posters to go around saying kill the clans kill the clans.  But anyone even implies killing a house and said house's supporters come out of the wood work deeply offended and start a ruckus.  The posters/players who treat the clans like they are still a new flash in the pan faction are really hilarious; wonder how many of them think smart phones are an annoying passing trend?

I would love nothing more than to see the homeworld clans smash a couple established factions.  Not to upset people here, but so people get that in a war game, eventually factions are going to die off.

I don't have disdain for any particular faction but CGL/FASA has whacked 11 clans (ok ones a periphery state) it's time some one else got killed off.  I don't disagree with how the majority of those clans died because it made the story better. 

To the patient go the spoils

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #821 on: 30 March 2014, 09:43:51 »
You are forgetting that the Star Adders have a standing policy to shoot down any vessel going to or coming from the Inner Sphere.  They obliterated the Damascus when it tried to violate the isolationist policy.  If they are willing to shoot down a fellow Homeworld Clan WarShip, you had better believe that they will do that to any Sea Fox vessel that comes too close.

I have not forgotten it. My suppositions are that the relationship between the sea foxes and home clans is antagonistic in nature.

While they may not have forgotten, until they receive some world that the Homeworld Clans are on the move, they couldn't care less.  With the Blackout and the Inner Sphere boiling over, they have far more immediate concerns.

If you were a watch commander and were aware that the home clans were securing a beachhead or at the very least pressing closer to the inner sphere while having such policies that they have currently would you take your eyes off of them? Especially if they are five to ten weeks away from you?

The Hanseatic League is more than 300 light years aware from the Chainelane Isles.  Again while it is likely that the Sea Fox Watch has assets in the Hanseatic League, the League is too far away for the merchant caste to have much interest in them.  If the Hansa want to bring trade to them-fine, if not-still fine.  After all they have the entire Inner Sphere market to keep them busy.

The trade and contact with the hansa is not as important as the lack of it. If clan sea fox has lost agents, contact and trade with the hansa then looking the other way would be a fools oversight. I am not saying that it is not happening. But it does demonstrate an alarming lack of guile.

Since when?  As far as I can tell, most people on these boards believe that the Homeworld Clans have been biding their time, building up their strength in preparation for a new invasion.  I don't recall anybody saying that they have self-destructed.

The homeworlds are schrodingers cat. There was absolutely no information about then during the dark ages. While some of us that read the supplemental might have assumed otherwise cgl admitted to having no designs with the homeworlds. Since last we heard from them they were planning an invasion that had not happened yet some believed that they were gone.

Until ben rome called the adders smugly ambitious this had been a trend on the forum. Like cold1 said.

I am still wondering if Ben Romes callout might be a setup for an alarming home worlds based april fools joke. That would be grand.

I also like the idea of them being behind the blackout.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #822 on: 30 March 2014, 09:57:49 »
Please don't put the Homeworlds in the April fools joke
CGL, please don't toy with us, we're waiting patiently for news from the homeworlds, please do not pump fake us... too badly.

The idea that the Homeclans might interact with the SharkFoxes in the Imperio or Hansa is not crazy.  Watch operations.  No jumpships running blockades or anything like that.

Back channel dealings all the way.
Something like:
Adder watch: we're coming and we're bringing the biggest war machine since the SLDF, we respect the Fox and our khan asks your khan to step out of the way.  Move your assets to the FWL and as reward we will give you those territories and a place in our new Star League.  Share this knowledge with any other party and your khanates will burn.

Fox watch: ummm... ok, we will relay the message

That message is a stretch, but Fox agents communicating with Homeworld agents is not.

Granted homeworld agents may have orders to kill any IS agent they encounter too ;)

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #823 on: 30 March 2014, 10:02:26 »
I'm with you on this, Cold1.  That may not be much consolation, but I assure you, it could be worse  ;D

If the Adders being mentioned was a part of an April Fools setup... well, that was the first thing I thought when I read Ghostbear's comment.  Seems like an obvious connection, so obvious that it's probably good for the Pranksters Actual who are putting something together for us.  That's my take.

But the wording of the comment makes me think the writing process is going on right now - right now! - for whatever is taking place in the Deep Periphery.  How many times have we been warned that we don't know what is taking place out there, because we do not know the whole story?  There could be some really damn good reasons why an invasion from the Homeworlds has not come yet, and maybe we'll get to find out some more of it.
« Last Edit: 30 March 2014, 10:05:07 by rebs »

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #824 on: 30 March 2014, 10:32:20 »
The reason why an invasion from the Homeworlds hasn't come yet is because MWDA never touched upon it, and CGL had to finish with the Dark Age era before they could return to that dangling plot thread.

I've never seen so much giddiness on these boards over two words before. Smugly ambitious. Like that's news or something. Pretty sure those two words have been the defining trait of Clan Star Adder since its inception. ;D
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #825 on: 30 March 2014, 11:07:46 »
In RL that's the reason for no Homie invasion.   Ghostbear's announcement tells us something is filling the gap, possibly, maybe, hopefully...  And it isn't a giant theoretical twinkie.

Who's giddy?  ???

"Smuggly ambitious" may not be news to posters who have always thought the Adders were crooked dealers in Clan law. I can't argue with that idea.  Their history speaks for itself, and I've noted their propensity to do all kinds of things that they accuse other Clans of doing throughout their history, and the whole song and dance involved with that debate.   But it stirred the brew of talk considerably, just as planned, I'm sure.

So as posters, it is our solemn duty to post.  And complain about posts.  Until the day the new material is released to give us new things to post about. 

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #826 on: 30 March 2014, 12:54:43 »
I've never seen so much giddiness on these boards over two words before. Smugly ambitious. Like that's news or something. Pretty sure those two words have been the defining trait of Clan Star Adder since its inception. ;D

I said that already...   Well, kinda

We know an entire section of the BTU is off limits to all writers except Ben Rome.  It's not the smugly ambitious part that gets me excited (like you said its the Adders, that's how they roll) its that Ben said he has a plan for them. That doesn't mean a book is being written, it means the assistant developer who has singular control on the homeclans is actively planning future story.  It gets me excited, that's 85% of what I care about in Battletech. 

My gidiness has everything to do with plans for my favorite faction(s) being acknowledged by CGL.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #827 on: 30 March 2014, 13:22:28 »
When Ghostbear says he has something written about a faction, I hope he knows people jump easily to the conclusion that he's writing something that we fans might get to read some time in the near to medium-near future. 

And on another note, by tomorrow, we'll have something else to occupy us.   :)  For a time. 

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #828 on: 30 March 2014, 14:35:37 »
If you were a watch commander and were aware that the home clans were securing a beachhead or at the very least pressing closer to the inner sphere while having such policies that they have currently would you take your eyes off of them? Especially if they are five to ten weeks away from you?

The trade and contact with the hansa is not as important as the lack of it. If clan sea fox has lost agents, contact and trade with the hansa then looking the other way would be a fools oversight. I am not saying that it is not happening. But it does demonstrate an alarming lack of guile.

Reread my previous post.  I didn't discount the possibility of them having posted agents in the Hansa.  The Hansa

The homeworlds are schrodingers cat. There was absolutely no information about then during the dark ages. While some of us that read the supplemental might have assumed otherwise cgl admitted to having no designs with the homeworlds. Since last we heard from them they were planning an invasion that had not happened yet some believed that they were gone.

Even if CGL had no plans for the Homeworld Clans I trust that the Developers would come up with a more interesting way to eliminate four factions.

I also like the idea of them being behind the blackout.

As far as I remember, when that idea was thrown out, most people believed that they would have done it just prior to them launching their invasion or simultaneously in order to surprise the Inner Sphere and give them an early edge by making it more difficult for the Inner Sphere to coordinate their response.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #829 on: 30 March 2014, 18:28:25 »
Even if CGL had no plans for the Homeworld Clans I trust that the Developers would come up with a more interesting way to eliminate four factions.

I do as well. Most statements in battlechats and in the ask the writers section that make references to the clans being reduced to stone age technology are obviously written because they cannot write, "They are causing a blackout and going to invade the Inner Sphere" when asked. But its still a theory supported by some. Refer to Cold1's post, and will come up in a discussion about what the homeworlds are up to.

As far as I remember, when that idea was thrown out, most people believed that they would have done it just prior to them launching their invasion or simultaneously in order to surprise the Inner Sphere and give them an early edge by making it more difficult for the Inner Sphere to coordinate their response.

Taking away the Inner Sphere communications would not prevent the Inner Sphere from eventually collaborating against a culture that was scouring planets. Or clans for that matter. Taking away their communications and possibly inciting action against each other (The Blake Scheme) would make it easier to conquer the Inner Sphere. Additionally it would make it look like the Word of Blake.

If they implemented the blackout and waited a few years they could invade an embattled Inner Sphere which would make factions less likely to band together against them because of increased animosity and hopefully high property damage. Assuming of course that the mobilization of Inner Sphere industry towards war materials, which would have happened anyways if they invaded, wasn't sufficient to give them pause. At the moment it does not seem to be.

It is also possible that the implementation of Fortress Republic would give an invasion force pause. Especially if said invasion force was holding to Kerensky's original vision of conquering Terra. Terra being unconquerable because it is unreachable would certainly pause an invasion for said Terra.

From a meta-knowledge standpoint we can suppose a few things. Writers said that by the end of last year, before the timetable got wrecked, they would be in open waters. They were going to reconcile the dark age timeline and then move forward. There was a talk about a reboot, or a minor jump in time or a major jump in time.

I think there is some hesitance for a second invasion because it is 'retreading old ground' however it could be used to reset the playing field for a fresh start in the next century if it happened between the end of the dark age timeline and before the beginning of the new timeline.

Or it could be the major event for the new timeline set in the future. Because of the fan response to the idea of jumping forward in time it was said that they were still going to jump ahead, simply get there slower.

So if it is the first circumstance where a invasion by the home clans basically 'reboots' the setting in the 32nd century, then the change of plans would mean that we now play through said invasion.

If it is the Second circumstance where an invasion is the catalyst for entertainment in the 32nd century then what product may bridge the gap between Ilclan and such time is any ones guess.

It can also be neither of those things. The liberty of a writer is such that they may avail themselves to simply do something new. Which of course is more difficult to predict because of the tendency to get wrapped up in the 'facts'.

For instance, there were plenty of hints about the Clans leading up to the Clan invasion. But while it said Kerensky's army left and there was cause for belief in probably concern guessing the culture that they did return in would be fairly difficult.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #830 on: 30 March 2014, 18:31:51 »
The "homeworlds reduced to stone age technology" was a reaction, originally by me*, to those folks who convinced themselves that the only possible future for the Clans was "super ultra deluxe new tech." It was meant to show that all things are plausible, and better to enjoy the ride than to build things up too far in your head and inevitably being disappointed by the reality. After all, whatever happens, some folks won't like it.

* Did I mention I don't work for CGL anymore? Wonder how that happened.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #831 on: 30 March 2014, 18:49:47 »
The "homeworlds reduced to stone age technology" was a reaction, originally by me*, to those folks who convinced themselves that the only possible future for the Clans was "super ultra deluxe new tech." It was meant to show that all things are plausible, and better to enjoy the ride than to build things up too far in your head and inevitably being disappointed by the reality. After all, whatever happens, some folks won't like it.

* Did I mention I don't work for CGL anymore? Wonder how that happened.

I think that the last two pages of this thread are pretty good example of that too. Anything can happen.

The Republic and the Dark Age are an example of that. Despite the hints that there would be a Jihad. I do not think anybody 'called' the Republic.

I did not suppose that Clan Diamond Shark would become Clan Sea Fox and some Quarian style roaming space gypsy's either, even though I dearly enjoy that outcome. None of the published facts supported that. So if I said it would happen it would be a leap from published doctrine.

As ColBosch is pointing out here. That cuts both ways.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #832 on: 30 March 2014, 19:07:28 »
One day I will post my take on the future of the Clans, though. O:-)
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #833 on: 30 March 2014, 19:30:25 »

Kerensky help us...

As to your previous post:  I remember when you made the stone age comment, and I took it just as you intended.  Unfortunately, their are some folks with true venom for all things clan and they ran with it.  And a few other people continued the joke.

My point was more that you never see clan supporters showing up in a house's thread saying they hope their faction dies.  It would get jumped by a mod instantly.  But roll in the Chatterweb and wish the clans/a clan dead and it is accepted behavior.  It's a microcosm of the game, it's ok to hate the clans, but blasphemy to hate the houses.

My opinion (and probably mine alone) is nothing would be better for Battletech the clans kicking the crap out of everyone.  Even if it's the Wolf/Falcon/Bear etc.  I'd like to see the clans become the prevailing power for a while.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #834 on: 30 March 2014, 19:34:13 »
I once read a thread of predictions from a few years ago around here and the Periphery boards.  It was regarding sizes of militaries in the Deep Periphery, and folks were calling for 40 regiments of mechs in Nueva Castile, 60 or more regiments in the Hansa, all affected by the thought of all of the Clans nearby in the Homeworlds, so they must have huge militaries to survive. 

Obviously, nothing like that was the case.  It makes me wonder how wrong our batch of predictions are, or how off focus we are from what really will happen, once we've seen the rest of this cycle of products for the Dark Age and Post Dark Age. 

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #835 on: 31 March 2014, 03:59:44 »
So you are saying it would have to be in secret, quiaff?   :)

Not sure how the Sea Foxes are about secret weapons dealings... Now I remember, they are not adverse to that at all and have taken the hit for doing so in their relations with fellow Clans, and then the Foxes continued to do so whenever the situation arises it seems.

Weapons Dealing 101:  Don't sell arms to a faction that has repeatedly attacked you.  Clan Sea Fox isn't foolish enough to sell weapons to a faction that is very likely to turn the weapons against them.  Besides, Clan Sea Fox has no reason to trade with the Hansa since they have little to nothing to offer Clan Sea Fox that they can't get in the Inner Sphere.

They have a history of violence with the Hansa, but are now content with Watch operations and the like there, as with the Imperio (ISP3 said that Interstellar Expeditions got their updated info on the Imperio from them, so they are in the region way back at that time).

There is no indication whatsoever that there was any Diamond Shark operatives operating in the Imperio.  ISP3 indicates that the report was submitted by an IE agent (who was subsequently killed) not a Diamond Shark Watch operative.  Even the GM section only lists the Hansa, Coyote, Cloud Cobra and Stone Lions as having deployed intelligence operatives in the Imperio.

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #836 on: 31 March 2014, 05:48:24 »

Feel free to do it now  :) .
It is simply fantasy, is not it?
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #837 on: 31 March 2014, 07:12:52 »
Weapons Dealing 101:  Don't sell arms to a faction that has repeatedly attacked you.  Clan Sea Fox isn't foolish enough to sell weapons to a faction that is very likely to turn the weapons against them.  Besides, Clan Sea Fox has no reason to trade with the Hansa since they have little to nothing to offer Clan Sea Fox that they can't get in the Inner Sphere.

There is no indication whatsoever that there was any Diamond Shark operatives operating in the Imperio.  ISP3 indicates that the report was submitted by an IE agent (who was subsequently killed) not a Diamond Shark Watch operative.  Even the GM section only lists the Hansa, Coyote, Cloud Cobra and Stone Lions as having deployed intelligence operatives in the Imperio.

Times they are a changing.  The situation will change too. 

I'm just not buying that the Sea Foxes will be sitting on their hands.   ISP3 indicated they were active in the region, and I hope they remain that way for the duration of hostilities. 
« Last Edit: 31 March 2014, 07:45:44 by rebs »

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #838 on: 31 March 2014, 07:14:06 »
Feel free to do it now  :) .
It is simply fantasy, is not it?

Yep, though I think it'd make for some neat adventures. We hear about pre-industrial societies in BattleTech now and then, but we rarely actually see them.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #839 on: 31 March 2014, 08:47:06 »
In RL that's the reason for no Homie invasion.   Ghostbear's announcement tells us something is filling the gap, possibly, maybe, hopefully...  And it isn't a giant theoretical twinkie.

His post said nothing of the kind. Just that they were having some feelings. :)

Who's giddy?  ???

Cold1.;)

"Smuggly ambitious" may not be news to posters who have always thought the Adders were crooked dealers in Clan law. I can't argue with that idea.  Their history speaks for itself, and I've noted their propensity to do all kinds of things that they accuse other Clans of doing throughout their history, and the whole song and dance involved with that debate.   But it stirred the brew of talk considerably, just as planned, I'm sure.

It's because people are so desperate for news that they'll take two vague words and immediately leap to the conclusion that Something Is Coming. The fact that we know there's an ilClan book just fuels that desperation.

So as posters, it is our solemn duty to post.  And complain about posts.  Until the day the new material is released to give us new things to post about.

I wasn't aware that it was our duty to fill the Adder thread with a bunch of flights of fancy and whimsical invasion scenarios...but given that that's more or less been the MO here even before WoR came out, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that people are still discussing hypotheticals like they're prophecies.
« Last Edit: 31 March 2014, 09:21:12 by tassa_kay »

Register