Author Topic: Coils of the Adder: Home of Clan Star Adder  (Read 220862 times)

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
Re: Coils of the Adder: Home of Clan Star Adder
« Reply #840 on: 31 March 2014, 09:37:22 »
Giddy? Me???   Yes
 :D

But again, giddy to hear Ben is actively planning something for my clan that's been behind a curtain for a while.  Not giddy because of smugly ambitious.

The Adders dreaming about an invasion fits the Adder thread, since all it's ever been is a flight of fancy anyway.

To the patient go the spoils

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #841 on: 31 March 2014, 09:46:38 »
Well, sure. I'm hoping that this ilClan book will be where they make their grand entrance, and while I want them to bite it out of principle (and to avenge my fallen Clan!), I want to see them make as big a mark as possible on the Inner Sphere in the process. The great thing is that there really IS no guessing as to the outcome of such a future invasion: the Adders could take Terra, the Wolves could take Terra, they could destroy each other in the process, a third party could end up becoming ilClan...the possibilities are limitless at this point since we're finally entering uncharted territory.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #842 on: 31 March 2014, 09:55:58 »
His post said nothing of the kind. Just that they were having some feelings. :)

Which confirms they are not dead. :) I feel therefore I am?

Cold1.;)

Is awesome. (Even if his clan is wickedly boring)

It's because people are so desperate for news that they'll take two vague words and immediately leap to the conclusion that Something Is Coming. The fact that we know there's an ilClan book just fuels that desperation.

I wasn't aware that it was our duty to fill the Adder thread with a bunch of flights of fancy and whimsical invasion scenarios...but given that that's more or less been the MO here even before WoR came out, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that people are still discussing hypotheticals like they're prophecies.

Why not? Its what we do in the wolf thread. What kind of discourse would you like to see in these threads?
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #843 on: 31 March 2014, 11:26:18 »
We have a strange adverserial relationship, you and I. One which I must admit I see no value in maintaining. I would rather cultivate a friendship.

Since the main point of contention between us seems to be that I enjoy wistfully hypothesizing and you dislike this same pursuit I will try to analyze why hypothetically discussing matters of invasion is the industry to which star adders are best suited.

People seem to choose their faction based on the espoused values of that faction. Whether because they find those values agreeable or because those values are contrary to the players nature.and they wish to partake in wish fulfillment.

Though there is perhaps a projection of some player values on a faction. For instance both rebs and myself both view clan sea fox as being compassionate. Those that see clan sea fox as being a clan with only mercantile interests will point out that compassion does not contribute to a bottom line (I beleive the economics of compassion could be argued myself.) But we both see compassion as having a worthwhile value.

So then if we are discussing a clan whose espoused values are cooperation and strategy and we are informed that the goal of this strategy is to conquer the inner sphere. Where we know that their previous political leanings were such that they thought that they should conquer the inner sphere and that their current political ideology dictates that they conquer the inner sphere in a much more violent and xenophobic matter then does that not conclude that discussions by fans who find their values agreeable should be prediposed towards conversations that they subjugate the inner sphere and that perhaps they participate with other factions to strategically leverage this consequnce?

In this way it can also be argued that clan star adder is also clan pinky and the brain.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #844 on: 31 March 2014, 12:09:23 »
I'm just not buying that the Sea Foxes will be sitting on their hands.   ISP3 indicated they were active in the region, and I hope they remain that way for the duration of hostilities.

ISP3 only states that the Sharks were active in the Chainlaine Isles and Hanseatic League, it makes no such indication for Imperio.  As for their "relationship" with the Hanseatic League DS Merchant Factor Lorenzo clearly indicates that they are still hostile towards one another ("While there are no plans for confrontation with the League at this point, Clan warriors and Watch operatives should be aware of this possible danger when dealing with the Hansa." p64)

As far as contact with the Clan Homeworlds, the ISP3 is also clear on that:  "Beyond the Diamond Shark base in the Chainelane Isles, there is complete, dead silence out here. No bases, no functioning HPG relays, no listening posts, no naval presence—nothing at all to suggest any link to the Clan Homeworlds whatsoever." (p98)
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Gäiten

• Warrant Officer
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #845 on: 31 March 2014, 13:22:36 »
As far as contact with the Clan Homeworlds, the ISP3 is also clear on that:  "Beyond the Diamond Shark base in the Chainelane Isles, there is complete, dead silence out here. No bases, no functioning HPG relays, no listening posts, no naval presence—nothing at all to suggest any link to the Clan Homeworlds whatsoever." (p98)

And this is an impressive feat. If it has been done by the Homeclans.

BTW if the Homeclans get an April`s Fool product, it would make me happy.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #846 on: 31 March 2014, 16:53:25 »
His post said nothing of the kind. Just that they were having some feelings. :)

And their feelings are going to drive the next chapter of BT as it stands in the coreward reaches of the Deep Periphery. 

Unless you think nothing will happen.  But if that were the case, why is Ghostbear telling us about it?  He was silent for a long time, and he could have kept that up, which would seem to me to be an expedient way to tell people nothing is about to happen.

Cold1.;)

Ahhh, I see. 

It's because people are so desperate for news that they'll take two vague words and immediately leap to the conclusion that Something Is Coming. The fact that we know there's an ilClan book just fuels that desperation.

You choose to dress it in such ugly language.  Not very diplomatic at all.  It's called hope, for the last time.   ;D

Besides, is CGL in the business of doing nothing?  I keep thinking they produce BT sourcebooks and other gaming materials.  Somebody should disabuse me of that if it is not so. 

I wasn't aware that it was our duty to fill the Adder thread with a bunch of flights of fancy and whimsical invasion scenarios...but given that that's more or less been the MO here even before WoR came out, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that people are still discussing hypotheticals like they're prophecies.

I was not aware that my opinions would be called prophecies.   ^-^  But I thank you for the thought. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #847 on: 31 March 2014, 21:07:42 »
I have a new argument for the boring argument
Heavy lasers!  Not boring at all, not really all that useful either.  But if you take an H variant or something with lots of them it will not be a boring fight.  Ever shoot another mech with 2 HLL's or 5 or 6 HMLs???  If you haven't you are missing out.  It's one of those experiences that you just have think about how it plays out in game.  I mean...
You spend all that time trying to get around that Timberwolf's LRMs to get a good shot.  Then whap whap you fall down, your mech is all broke and on fire and stuff.  You look up and the Timby is literally looking at its gun barrels and starring in shock.  The com crackles and a giddy Star Adder (see what I did there?) is laughing hysterically at his new toys.

Not boring

Don't make me mention the Blood Asp... it's almost the worst canon configured clan omni,  the most misused chasis out there.  Ok I actually think there are some worse ones, the Ebon Jaguar comes to mind.  But it ain't boring!  And boy is it pretty.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #848 on: 31 March 2014, 21:35:55 »
I feel like I've given you a complex.  ;D

whether or not they are boring is entirely subjective.

Heavy Lasers are a good time I guess.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #849 on: 31 March 2014, 22:39:59 »
Having been a follower of Clan Star Adder pretty much since FM: Crusader Clans came out (and how could I not, considering how closely they're tied to the Blood Spirits throughout their publication history?), I have to say that I don't find them to boring as I initially believed them to be, even though they (like most of the Homeworld Clans) could certainly use more page-time and more characters to connect with before they feel like anything but a plot device.

I think they're proving the most Darwinist aspects of Clan society absolutely right, and in a different way than other such extreme (and extremely effective) examples like Alaric or Malvina. They've proven, at the expense of their greatest rivals (not just the Blood Spirits, but the Invading Clans as a whole, not to mention the Steel Vipers at the eleventh hour!), that they have what it takes to win: superior planning and forethought in every action, leveraging their power to get results when they can and manipulating those around them when they can't, and for striking the perfect balance between upholding the most honorable of Clan rules and standards and being willing to do what it takes in a situation to win.

I think the time jump between the time period of the Wars of Reaving, the Supplemental and ISP 3 is about 50 years or so before the 3145 mark, so if we're going forward now to, say, 3150...I'd say this would be the perfect time to bring in whatever is coming the Inner Sphere's way from the direction of the Homeworlds. I think the arrival of such a game-changing force at THIS particular point in time, with Clans Wolf and Jade Falcon poised to make a run for Terra and possibly claiming the ilClanship for themselves (and anyone who's read the Clan Wolf thread since last year's GenCon event knows who they're rooting for!), makes the idea of Clan Star Adder and Friends dropping in on (what I hope) is a completely unexpected (because of the Blackout, which is STILL in effect!) Inner Sphere that much more delicious.

And if that is what is coming for us Clan fans, I can't honestly say who I'd be cheering for, just because I don't have a clue who the players are even gonna be for the ilClan book. After all, nobody ever expects the Scorpion Inquisition.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #850 on: 31 March 2014, 23:19:15 »
And if that is what is coming for us Clan fans, I can't honestly say who I'd be cheering for, just because I don't have a clue who the players are even gonna be for the ilClan book. After all, nobody ever expects the Scorpion Inquisition.

Man I hope the scorpions are ok. I love those guys.

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #851 on: 01 April 2014, 00:31:38 »

I can handle the Scorpion Inquisition, just not a Star Adder colonoscopy ... :o

Quite look forward to the HW Clans being ground into dust.  }:)

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #852 on: 01 April 2014, 05:11:11 »
I'm with you Tassa.

Let the IS clans fight it out for Terra.  Wolf wins and declares Ilclanship.  I think the homeworld clans getting wind of that should logicially bring them into the fray.  If they have good intelligence (and they probably should) they will hear a genetic abomination with a false bloodname took over Clan Wolf and is claiming to be Ilclan.  Nothing should scream taint louder to them.

If that doesn't bring them in, then I'll assume they are not coming.

Gäiten

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #853 on: 01 April 2014, 12:24:23 »
http://benhrome.wordpress.com/2014/04/01/the-supremacy-rises/

And it has begun (to a certain degree) ...

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #854 on: 01 April 2014, 12:27:21 »
I can handle the Scorpion Inquisition, just not a Star Adder colonoscopy ... :o

Quite look forward to the HW Clans being ground into dust.  }:)

Hey man at least for one day WE ARE RIGHT!!!!!

Adders honor their agreement with the Horses in Ghostbear's April Fools joke!

"Reunited and it feels so good, reunited and it's understood..."

Tomorrow, back to wanting to burn the taint out.

Oh, and damn you all for being right about the Adders in the AFD joke O0

Gäiten

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #855 on: 01 April 2014, 12:53:02 »
IMHO the most interesting is that they may even consider the return of the Homeclans in the ilClan Story arc.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #856 on: 01 April 2014, 12:58:13 »
Oh, and damn you all for being right about the Adders in the AFD joke O0

Yeah that was me.  ;D

Don't worry though. I'm sure there are little bits of truth in there.

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #857 on: 01 April 2014, 13:08:57 »
Yeah that was me.  ;D

Don't worry though. I'm sure there are little bits of truth in there.

My guess is a lot of the IS stuff is going to be accurate enough.

I did ask Ben to have the Adders on Terra next time we see them... guess I got my wish.

Now what exactly is a Blood Asp Ultra????

Urban Kufahl

• Lieutenant
  • Si vis pacem.. et caetera, ad nauseam
« Reply #858 on: 01 April 2014, 13:29:26 »
My guess is a lot of the IS stuff is going to be accurate enough.

I did ask Ben to have the Adders on Terra next time we see them... guess I got my wish.

Now what exactly is a Blood Asp Ultra????
My guess for the Blood Asp Ultra is a variant using some stuff like the class 40 firestorm auto cannon  :D

It seems that everybodies are going to take a beating.... just if :D

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #859 on: 01 April 2014, 21:16:04 »
All of the silliness of that April Fool's Day posting aside, I think the ilClan book would be subpar if ALL of the surviving Clans weren't represented in it. Such an event should be epic in scope and if it doesn't involve the Homeworld Clans and their debut in the Inner Sphere, it just won't carry the same weight that such a title implies.

Manchu

• Master Sergeant
  • MALVINA FOREVER
« Reply #860 on: 01 April 2014, 23:14:43 »
All of the silliness of that April Fool's Day posting aside, I think the ilClan book would be subpar if ALL of the surviving Clans weren't represented in it. Such an event should be epic in scope and if it doesn't involve the Homeworld Clans and their debut in the Inner Sphere, it just won't carry the same weight that such a title implies.
100% agreed. And if I thought the isolationist clans were up to it, I guess I could see CSA leading this thing.

Fletch

• Captain
« Reply #861 on: 01 April 2014, 23:41:04 »

and one Clan sticking it's head up again to have it's head chopped off.  Hopefully this book makes the Jihad look like the spoilt brat hissy fit that it was.

We should start a book on how many nukes the Regulans throw around.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #862 on: 01 April 2014, 23:53:05 »
100% agreed. And if I thought the isolationist clans were up to it, I guess I could see CSA leading this thing.

Eh, they may have isolationist tendencies now (now as in post-WoR), but the Star Adders have consistently been characterized as having a burning desire to lead a new Crusade against the Inner Sphere and to do so their way. The only reason they haven't done so already is because they know (again, I'm speaking in terms of post-WoR when we last saw them in present tense) they aren't ready yet.

Manchu

• Master Sergeant
  • MALVINA FOREVER
« Reply #863 on: 02 April 2014, 00:20:18 »
I agree that CSA is willing; my doubts are whether they are able. If they do end up trying for it in the ilClan book, I hope the justification is pretty strong. The IS Clans will need to be convinced. I can't imagine they will be so weak or the CSA so strong that they will not offer really punishing resistance to absorption/annihilation. I don't have anything particularly against CSA. To the contrary, I applaud them for annihilating CSV. That said, I do think they would be deeply confused if not horrified by the current (3145) state of the IS Clans.

Archangel

• Major
« Reply #864 on: 02 April 2014, 02:49:30 »
I agree that CSA is willing; my doubts are whether they are able. If they do end up trying for it in the ilClan book, I hope the justification is pretty strong. The IS Clans will need to be convinced. I can't imagine they will be so weak or the CSA so strong that they will not offer really punishing resistance to absorption/annihilation. I don't have anything particularly against CSA. To the contrary, I applaud them for annihilating CSV. That said, I do think they would be deeply confused if not horrified by the current (3145) state of the IS Clans.

Probably not.  They would simply say that the current state of the IS Clans proves that they are tainted.
Detect evil first, smite second and ask questions later.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #865 on: 02 April 2014, 02:53:36 »
Probably not.  They would simply say that the current state of the IS Clans proves that they are tainted.

To be fair, given how far the IS Clans have fallen from their old ideals since Revival...would they be wrong?

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Gaiiten

• Captain
« Reply #866 on: 02 April 2014, 04:10:40 »
Justification could be to bring the *Tainted* back into the true path, led by the Homeclans. Maybe even justified by a new form of religion (Cobra influence).
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

cold1

• Major
  • Goon
« Reply #867 on: 02 April 2014, 05:07:39 »
Well, if any clan was built from the founding to lead invasions, it's the Adders (ok maybe the Wolf too).

The Adders consider it their destiny to unite the clans and invade the IS.  It's fitting the only way the clans would ever win was if they united.  Unfortunately, no one wanted to listen so the Adders had to remove all those obstacles.

Tassa pretty much summed up my thoughts; if the rebuilding goes well the Adders will want to launch a new crusade.

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #868 on: 02 April 2014, 12:25:09 »
We should start a book on how many nukes the Regulans throw around.

1/2 on it'll be all of them  :)

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #869 on: 15 April 2014, 09:38:39 »
So does everyone have a particular unit in Clan Star Adder that they favor?

Would it surprise you all to know that I have *four* that I like quite a bit? ^-^

First, the Quasar Keshik. I greatly prefer them to the senior Keshik, and they have a cool-sounding name. I am also quite fond of both the 9th Armored Cavalry (the "Spirit Crushers") and the 73rd Adder Cavaliers (the "Scourge of the Highlands"), both because of their awesome backstory holding out against the Blood Spirits on Priori during the Absorption War, and because the anti-Highlanders trappings and imagery of the 73rd works just as well against the Blood Spirits as it does the actual Highlanders, because the Spirits have a great deal of Scots influence.  Finally, I enjoy the 1st Star Sentinels Cluster, because it uses my chosen Clan's equipment and tactics...I just dread the idea of seeing a Blood Kite in Kappa colors, LOL.

I always thought that these particular four units, perhaps with the 5th Assault Cluster because it was the Cluster that led the charge on Albion that broke the Spirits, would've made the best choices to form a new Beta Galaxy. That's how I would've done it, and most certainly in my own fiction will be doing so.

I even have a couple of Star Adder characters I whipped up for a story I was going to write: Sonya LeFabre, whom I was going to place in command of the 1st Star Sentinels, and Jackson Cannon, a hulking brute of an Elemental in Corona armor that would be Sonya's right-hand man. I had an epic tale of rivalry between Sonya and a Blood Spirit warrior that was going to span the ages from the Absorption War all the way to the Spirits' last stand on Haven...but alas, canon kinda made parts of it impossible. :(

Sorry, but I felt like sharing today.  ;D

Register