Author Topic: RIFT Open Beta  (Read 4030 times)

Aokarasu

• Captain
  • Commander, Musei Yuuchi
RIFT Open Beta
« on: 26 January 2011, 09:48:03 »
Anyone else get in on this yet?  It's been interesting, so far, though I've only gotten to level 9.

Official Web Site

If you're familiar with Ctrl+Alt+Del webcomic, here's what author/artist Tim Buckley had to say:
RIFT, on the other hand, has left me with little doubt as to wether or not I'll find stuff to entertain my interests. RIFT is a more traditional, and very familiar style of MMO, drawing many inspirations and best features from tried and true games like WoW and Everquest. And while it makes a lot of very safe choices in a number of areas, it does so with a lot of polish and style, while adding some new fun elements of their own.

The most intriquing system off the bat is easily their class/soul system. Rather than just choose a single class, you choose an archetype. Within this archetype are a number of souls, which are essentially each a class themselves. At any given time you can have three of these souls active, and can be investing talent points into them to gain different abilities.

It's sort of like WoW's class/talent tree system, except imagine that as a Paladin in WoW, you could also pull talents from the Warrior or Death Knight talent trees as well. RIFT gives you that sort of flexibility, and it's really fun.

Take for instance my cleric in the beta. Not knowing what the hell I was doing, I grabbed souls and abilities that sounded cool. So by level 12, my character was a melee 2H hammer battle cleric (Justicar), with some ranged caster DPS (Inquisitor), and a druid pet that healed me and my group (Warden). It wasn't any kind of cohesive, min/max build, but it was incredibly entertaining.

I also noticed that within the Justicar soul tree, that I could have specced my cleric into tanking if I'd so chosen. I've noticed this about some of the other archetypes as well. Warrior does not automatically mean "Tank" in RIFT. A cleric or rogue can spec into tanking and be viable. A mage can spec into healing or support, and be viable. A warrior can be a dps pet class if they choose. A cleric can be ranged DPS. Each archetype seems to have at least one soul that is really geared towards PVP.

It's all very fluid, and with what appear to be four "spec" slots available, you can have a good variety of options at your fingertips at any given time. You earn these class souls through leveling and questing, chosen in the order you wish, so as you level you unlock more and more available combinations to experiment with.

RIFT also seems to have nailed the "group event" which Warhammer Online sort of introduced. Essentially, as you're out and about doing your thing, a rift may tear a hole in the sky, allowing creatures from one of the planar dimensions to come flooding in. By being in the area of the rift, you're participating, and the more you actively participate, the better your rewards are when the rift is closed.

On Saturday evening of the last beta event, I logged in around 9:30pm to a number of warnings on my screen about the areas around me being attacked. Players were scurrying all over the place. I looked at my map and saw no less than twelve fire rifts had torn open in the region. For the next forty minutes or so, instead of questing I ran around with dozens of other players, battling to close these rifts. Not only did I have a blast and get some good loot, but I earned a very respectable amount of experience.

The key to success here was that the game tells you where this stuff is happening. It's very easy to get involved with these world events happening around you, because the UI is crystal clear about where they are. They aren't the kind of thing that can be soloed, but never did I see a rift open, or an outpost attacked where I had to wait more than a few minutes for players in the area to converge as a group to battle back the forces of evil. It's so easy an enjoyable to get involved in, and the rewards are worth it enough that nearly everyone wanted to participate.

Browsing through RIFT's massive achievement list, I saw that they intend to launch with a number of dungeons, as well as what looks like at least two raids. I didn't get to do any dungeons that weekend, but having seen videos and talked to some people about it, I'm very anxious to give them a try next time.

PVP also looks promising, as that was the focus of the last beta event. I rolled on a PVP server, but did not see a single Defiant player the entire time I was out questing. However the Warfronts (battlegrounds) were well-populated. The one I played involved grabbing a relic, which basically killed you as you held it. The longer you held it, the faster it killed you.

Your team earned points for holding the relic... more points for holding it near the center of the map, in the open, far fewer points for holding it back near your spawn point (turtling). While there were some flaws with the design that I noted (one team grabbing the relic and then camping the cliff where the other team respawns) overall things seemed pretty well balanced, and I looked forward to participating more with some PVP souls unlocked.

Overall I've become really excited about RIFT since playing it. It doesn't reinvent the genre, but it seems like a solid MMO that offers a lot of what I look for in a game like this.

To put it into a different perspective, I played that beta weekend, and then turned around and pre-ordered, so sure I was of my enjoyment in the game.

I haven't played any of the PvP yet, so I don't know how accurate that is, but I like the idea of a system that rewards more active play, instead of "turtling."

As to the class/soul set-up, it's a really nice change.  If you're familiar with WoW's talent points, then you'll be able to navigate it fine.  Your soul "tree" goes upwards, and is where you assign the points you earn as you level.  Underneath that are the "roots," where you unlock powers as you place more points into the respective tree.
My character's archetype (also known as your "Calling") is Cleric.  The first soul I picked was a Justicar, which, as Tim mentions, is sort of a battle cleric.  The 2nd soul I selected was Druid, to help with self heals and some damage absorption.  You also get a Faerie pet as one of your first unlocks.  She has a ranged magical attack, and a HoT (Heal over Time).  The 3rd soul I've unlocked so far is the Inquisitor.  It's an interesting combo, so far; though you can only have 3 souls active at a time, you can have quite a few, or so I'm led to believe.  (EDIT:  the first character I tried had Cabalist as the 3rd soul.)

I'm currently playing on Faeblight (PvE-RP), under the name "Syrannae."
« Last Edit: 26 January 2011, 12:28:58 by Aokarasu »

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: RIFT Open Beta
« Reply #1 on: 26 January 2011, 11:20:49 »
I'm officially curious but it'll be at best later today before I can try it.

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2011, 07:50:49 »
I got to do my first battleground PvP last night.  It's the one mentioned in the review by Tim Buckley; it's called "Black Garden."  The objective is to hold on to and control this Fang as long as you can.  The longer you hold it, the more damage you take.

It was chaotic, and the team I was on (Guardians) weren't really coordinating our efforts - but we managed to pull out a pretty decisive win.  Nothing stood out as being too weak or too strong, but I wasn't really analyzing it.

Overall, I'd say it's much more enjoyable than Warsong Gulch in WoW.

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 27 January 2011, 18:07:46 »
The more I play, the more I lean towards dumping WoW for RIFT.  Still no release date, AFAIK, but I have no doubt it will have a relatively smooth launch.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #4 on: 27 January 2011, 18:25:34 »
Dumb question: this has nothing to do with Palladium's RIFTS, does it?
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 27 January 2011, 19:15:55 »

Not an entirely dumb question.  No, it has nothing to do with Palladium's RPG.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #6 on: 27 January 2011, 20:21:48 »

Palladium's suing them, so technically, yes!

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 27 January 2011, 20:24:30 »
Palladium's suing them, so technically, yes!

Of course they are.  *sigh*  The only thing the two have in common is the name, and Trion entertainment could easily point out there is no commonality in backstory or anything.  That, and tecnically, Palladium's game is Rifts, not RIFT.   }:)

Kamov

• Warrant Officer
  • It's time to end this ones and for all
« Reply #8 on: 27 January 2011, 20:49:23 »
Too bad its not Rifts.  I would've liked to crush all non-Glitterboy players with my Glitterboy pc.  ;)
(The above writing is entirely my opinion based upon my own incomplete knowledge of life, the universe, and everything beyond it and should be taken as such although I don't want to tell you what to do, because that's your right and your freedom to choose your own opinions and ablah blah blah legalese etc etc)

Aokarasu

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 27 January 2011, 20:53:35 »
Too bad its not Rifts.  I would've liked to crush all non-Glitterboy players with my Glitterboy pc.  ;)

A month after release, and you know there'd be players howling for a nerf of the Glitterboy.   ;D

Register