Author Topic: Battle Armor of the Week - Warg Assault Battle Armor  (Read 10727 times)

sillybrit

• Major
Battle Armor of the Week - Warg Assault Battle Armor
« on: 27 December 2012, 04:28:38 »
Warg Assault Battle Armor - Technical Readout 3085 Supplemental page 47

The Warg Assault Battle Armor is the first known Clan Wolf design since the Elemental. They've developed variants of Battle Armor introduced by other Clans, and we know that there were unknown pre-Invasion designs, but for the inventors of Battle Armor, a completely new suit of their own has been a long time coming.

Published in Technical Readout 3085 Supplemental, the Warg is a Clan Wolf response to the attacks by both the Blakists and the Hell's Horses, the latter fleeing the turmoil of the War of Reaving in the Homeworlds. Finding themselves on the defensive at the very time when they've lost both resources and manufacturing facilities, Khan Vlad Ward opted for a new Battle Armor design as a way to quickly get troops on the ramparts. Given that the Warg took six years to develop, meaning that Ward didn't live to see the first production suit fielded in 3086, either the Wolves weren't really that desperate or perhaps they were in even worse shape than they might appear to outsiders.

Notably, the Warg is a departure from Clan Wolf's prior preference for suits that could benefit from Mechanized Battle Armor operations, in particular drawing inspiration from the equally heavyweight Ironhold design that had been fielded by their longtime rivals, the Jade Falcons. Oddly, despite the examples of the Ironhold and other Clan Assault designs, the Wolves apparently chose an Inner Sphere suit as the model for the Warg, in the form of the Draconis Combine's Kanazuchi.

It's easy to see the comparison to the Kanazuchi, both being slow suits that are capable of withstanding a Gauss Rifle hit, while being armed with a heavy laser on the right arm, twin missile launchers and a secondary anti-personnel armament. Personally, I also find the Warg feels like a miniature 'Mech due to its mixture of three different 'Mech-scale weapon types. Although there are exceptions, most Battle Armor designs tend towards one 'Mech-scale weapon type, with perhaps a missile launcher of some sort as the main battery or secondary 'Mech-scale firepower, whereas many 'Mech designs have a variety of weapon systems.

Whatever the comparison, the Warg is one of the Battle Armor designs that bases a large proportion of its firepower around its missile launchers. Unlike other suits, the Warg has more than one multi-shot launcher, in this case a pair of three-shot SRM3s, which provides the flexibility of a powerful alpha strike or a less powerful attack with greater ammo endurance by staggering shots. When salvoing a single launcher, a Star is capable of inflicting an average of eighteen points of damage with the SRMs alone, plus another twelve available from the shorter ranged guns, thus potentially forcing a MechWarrior to make a Piloting check. When out of range of the guns, or when the Warg really needs to dish out a smack down, then both SRM3s can be salvoed, giving an average of thirty-six points of SRM damage, which is a hefty main punch. The twin launchers also allows for mixed warhead types, adding even more flexibility, but the cost is the amount of mass that has to be spent on the launcher mechanisms themselves, rather than extra ammunition or enhancing the other armament.

Backing up the SRMs, the Small Pulse Laser and Light Machine Gun are both capable of extra damage against conventional infantry and in addition both have a reach out to six hexes, doubling the old standard of three hexes. As useful as this sounds, it should be remembered that this can still leave them outranged by some infantry platoons and by Battle Armor armed with weapons like the AP Gauss Rifle. The right-arm mounted Small Pulse Laser is an accurate weapon, but if it is meant to mimic the Medium Laser of the Kanazuchi, then I have to say that the Clan suit definitely got the short end of the stick. As useful as the Pulse hit bonus and anti-infantry burst damage might be, the heavier anti-armor damage and greater range of the Inner Sphere weapon are far more useful in my opinion. Of course, the Small Pulse Laser is lighter, even with the extra magazine capacity installed on the Warg, but for such slow suits, range is very important and Warg Points can easily find themselves in a situation where they're being pounded by enemy fire while being unable to retaliate.

Perhaps because their SRMs are so good, requiring much less mass than their Inner Sphere counterparts, the Clans have somewhat neglected to develop light- to medium-sized weapons able to reach out to around the nine hex mark. It's true that they have the even longer ranged ER Medium Laser, Medium Pulse Laser and Medium ER Pulse Laser, plus the nine-hex Heavy Medium Laser, but all are so super-heavy that serious design compromises have to be made to install them. For more reasonable payloads for heavily armored designs, the only viable options are the AP Gauss and the recently developed LB-X. By comparison, the Inner Sphere have the David, Magshot, King David and Medium Laser, giving a variety of options depending upon how much mass is available, from a mere 100kg upwards. While the AP Gauss Rifle does risk overuse due to its superb performance, in part it can't be helped because it is almost a lone voice in the wilderness, and like so many designs before it, the Warg definitely would have been improved by switching the two guns to a pair of AP Gauss.

As noted above, the sixteen points of armor allow the Warg to take a Gauss Rifle hit and then some, and to then keep ticking. Sadly, it's not fire resistant and, like the vast majority of Clantech designs, it lacks any form of stealth either, so not only is it a prime target for Infernos, but it's entirely possible for lesser armored suits such as the Hauberk to outlast it under fire. Of course, either option would have required a reduction elsewhere to provide the required mass to upgrade to a more advanced armor type, and with only a Heavy Battle Claw as technically spare equipment to add to the 10 kg that is unused, such a change would have forced a downgrade in the armament.

Like other slow suits, using the Warg is simply a matter of positioning it on a spot that you want to hold and beating on any enemy that comes within range. Ideally, this location should have good cover to help make up for the suit's inability to generate a Target Movement Modifier, plus you should try to keep at least one fire support unit around to help against an opponent attempting to camp just out of range of the Warg's weaponry. Given the short-to-medium range of the guns, it's best when used in confined terrain, such as cities or woods, so that there's more chance of being in reach of an opponent with the full armament instead of just the missiles. Parking the Warg on a prime piece of real estate is obviously going to be easier in a defensive battle, but if APC transport is available then it can also be done in an offensive scenario, although this is not really the Warg's strong suit, and a smart opponent will look for an opportunity to hit them while they're still deploying and thus vulnerable.

The Technical Readout speculates that the Wolves will be building additional Badger and Bandit APCs as transports for their Wargs, with both designs previously fielded by the Wolf's Dragoons. In this regard, that does give the Warg an edge over the Falcons' Ironhold, with the latter Clan apparently lacking a viable Battle Armor carrier. There is one small fly in the ointment, in that both vehicles can only transport Warg Points if using the default Total War rules that only require one ton of capacity per suit, rather than the two tons each suit weighs. Out of the two, only the Bandit has the payload to be able to transport ten tons of Battle Armor, and even that is a custom configuration, so those Wolf players preferring a strict adherence to canon and the more realistic advanced Battle Armor transport rules can find themselves scrabbling for APCs elsewhere, just like the Falcons.

So far only known to be fielded by the Wolves, it's likely to remain that way for quite some time, if not permanently. The Sharks tried to get in on the ground floor by offering assistance during development, but they found the door closed firmly in their face. Among the other Inner Sphere Clans, the Falcons, Bears and Horses all have access to Assault Battle Armor of their own, or at least a variant of an existing design, leaving only the Nova Cats and Snow Ravens; it should go without saying that Clan Wolf are unlikely to share their new toy with the Exiles. Being a primarily naval Clan, the Ravens perhaps would have little interest in a slow, bulky Assault suit, especially given their adoption of ProtoMechs. As for the Cats, from their development of the Clan Medium Battle Armor and the Thunderbird, plus their involvement in the design of the Void, it would seem that they have a preference for more mobile Battle Armor designs.

If the Warg can be said to have one flaw, I have to say that it's the appearance; I've met few players who actually like its looks. It's not quite up to the level of ugliness of the Ravager, but it's getting into the same ballpark. As far as stats go, the Warg does have an impressive throw weight while its SRMs last, especially if it can get in range of its guns too, beating all other Battle Armor with a full alpha strike. Of course, it should be mentioned that all the other Clan Assaults have their own advantages over the Warg, whether mobility, toughness, sustained firepower and/or anti-Battle Armor firepower. Assuming that you're not fenced in by faction availability, then among the Clan Assaults you have enough variety to fit almost all tastes and styles of play. Of course, many are going to be entranced by the Ironhold (Fire), or perhaps the Golem (Support) for the more discerning player, but the Warg shouldn't be overlooked and it's well worth giving it a try.

Next up:
  • Gladiator
  • Ailette
  • Kopis
  • Gorilla

Isanova

• Lieutenant
  • There you are!
Re: Battle Armor of the Week - Warg Assault Battle Armor
« Reply #1 on: 27 December 2012, 05:43:18 »
a light mech in firepower, but slow... it's a brute force design. Not much else to say I guess, but would be fun to run some Warg vs Kanazuchi fights!

I guess since the DSharks were refused, the design doesn't have Harjel? Can anyone confirm? Wonder what their variant might be...

the only other thing... a BA named the Warg needs... a AC!

DAKADAKA~  ;D
Freeborn and proud~

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 27 December 2012, 06:07:24 »
The Warg uses a Clan chassis and thus has Harjel. Harjel systems are old technology in Clan terms, something that the Wolves wouldn't have needed Shark technical assistance to be able to utilize in their new design, they simply need them to deliver the raw product, which is then used for their various Battle Armor designs, DropShips and WarShips.

Isanova

• Lieutenant
  • There you are!
« Reply #3 on: 27 December 2012, 06:10:37 »
The Warg uses a Clan chassis and thus has Harjel. Harjel systems are old technology in Clan terms, something that the Wolves wouldn't have needed Shark technical assistance to be able to utilize in their new design, they simply need them to deliver the raw product, which is then used for their various Battle Armor designs, DropShips and WarShips.
Yea but with the homeworld cut off and DS not being involved, would they still deliver Harjel from their new IS planetary source?
Freeborn and proud~

sillybrit

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 27 December 2012, 06:38:59 »
Given that there's no mention of the Sharks refusing to sell Harjel, then yes, they're still delivering.

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 27 December 2012, 09:00:04 »
And if they don't want to trade with it- well, that is what Trials of possession are for.  O0

OT:

The Warg is a nasty suit against most units, the SRMs giving it a lot of flexibility.

Savage Coyote

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
  • 저는 미술 선생님 입니다.
« Reply #6 on: 27 December 2012, 10:38:42 »
These guys have a "Oh crap, it has what?" factor when they hit the field.  Had a game where a teammate brought two points worth that deployed into some forrests on the "front-line" while the rest of our forces did their thing.  It created a nice "no-go" zone that our opponets skirted and ultimatly reversed course and left.  Mission accomplished!

The miniature is size of protomechs though  ;D

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 27 December 2012, 15:25:25 »
These guys have a "Oh crap, it has what?" factor when they hit the field.

I'm pretty sure Jymset had a similar reaction when I showed him the design.

This is one of only two BA I had direct hand in the creation of. Having worked with Jymset to make all the other BA stats for 3085, the Warg was a design I decided to try my hand at.

First thing to know is that the art came first. It was a piece of draft art one of the 3085 artists did during the concept work. I kind of liked the ugliness of the design as it just screamed "I'm going to hurt you, real bad." So when Jymset pointed out the Wolves were the only main faction without any access to an Assault suit, I decided this art would do the trick.

And I purposely steered away from AP Gauss because it was so over done and the Falcons just used them on the Ironhold. The lack of Clan BA guns makes making good, canon designs hard. 
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

sandstorm

• Lieutenant
  • Slayers Clear the Way
« Reply #8 on: 28 December 2012, 03:56:12 »
Call me sick and twisted, but I like the loks of this 'micromech'. Wonder if there'd be a way to switch the SRMs for an LRM launcher of some sort. Maybe swap the SPL for pair of ERSL's to have more 'gun damage'? Or would the slots run out?
Ex Dubio, Obscura
--------------------
"Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it."

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #9 on: 28 December 2012, 04:15:59 »
Switching from 2 X SRM-3 with 3 re-loads to 2 X LRM-3 with 3 re-loads saves 30 kg, however a SPL weighs 400kg while a ERSL weighs 350kg so you can only swap the SPL for a single ERSL, together all this adds up to 80kg worth of savings, meaning you can add another LMG or upgrade to a normal MG or switch to a flamer, 5 kg short of being able to use a mPL but

sandstorm

• Lieutenant
  • Slayers Clear the Way
« Reply #10 on: 28 December 2012, 04:30:52 »
Gah, right... Mental note, when pondering weapon swaps, rememebr the platform: Mech Scale doesn't always mean the Mech weight weapon mounts. :D
Ex Dubio, Obscura
--------------------

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 28 December 2012, 05:53:01 »
The BA armor weight's include Heat Sinks, makes things easier

sandstorm

• Lieutenant
  • Slayers Clear the Way
« Reply #12 on: 28 December 2012, 06:22:00 »
Well, the weapons are trickier, really, since the Mech Scale weights are pretty much 'by heart', but the BA weights aren't quite the same, or even in same exact scale.

Like the SPL / ERSL... On Mech they are 1 and0.5 tons, but 0.4 and 0.35 on BA. Easy to trip on.
Ex Dubio, Obscura
--------------------

ABADDON

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 28 December 2012, 08:08:38 »
Not "quite" the same?

Medium VSPL 4 tons vs. 0,9 tons   :P

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 28 December 2012, 09:18:30 »
Call me sick and twisted, but I like the loks of this 'micromech'. Wonder if there'd be a way to switch the SRMs for an LRM launcher of some sort. Maybe swap the SPL for pair of ERSL's to have more 'gun damage'? Or would the slots run out?
LRM3s are 3 slots each, so you can't fit two plus ammo...

But it would hardly be a devastating rule break to add a LRM6 (210 kg, 4 slots) to the list of BA weapons. Then you could mount one of those in the torso with 3 rounds.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #15 on: 28 December 2012, 10:36:19 »
I like the Warg's looks, and its srm launchers.  I do agree with the others that its short legs on ranged fire power makes it a problem child.   With combined arms era, various infantry can employ longer range firepower to take care these things and still stay out of range its nasty close-in weapons.   I hope they do develop a variant to help mend these problems, any military that can foresee problems would refit these things for better range.   I'm not really verst on Battle Armor rules, but can't believe a ER Small Laser or ER Medium Laser could be fitted in these things to not be able fend off inbound forces, specially if their ProtoMech or worse. 

Warg maybe defense unit, but like its Kanazuchi counterpart, it needs something more help it from becoming a target with only +1 for being a BA.   Wolves do need better transportation assets, i agree Wargs need bigger means to be transported.  Its always been sticking point for me.  Now with the 3085 and beyond there has been introduced number of larger transports.  I doubt that Wolves be wrestle enough Maxim Mk IIs or salvaged Trajans (From the Jihad campaign) to be able move these big boys around.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Ian Sharpe

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 28 December 2012, 10:36:31 »
Reminds me of ExoSquad E-frames, looks wise.  The SRMs are useful against most things, and the SPL and LMG do bad things to infantry.  Its not the Grenadier or anything but its certainly useful in built up areas.

UnLimiTeD

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 31 December 2012, 07:27:30 »
I like the looks.
Savannah Masters are the Pringles of Battletech.
Ooo! OOOOOOO! That was a bad one!...and I liked it.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #18 on: 31 December 2012, 14:42:22 »

LB Cannon? O:-)

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #19 on: 31 December 2012, 18:27:35 »
If you drop to a single missile launcher it should be possible to fit a LB-X, LRM launcher and MiPL. Twin LRM2s might work too. I suspect the BV will go through the roof, thought... ;)

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #20 on: 31 December 2012, 22:16:40 »
Could you at least let the Nova Cats get a canon battlesuit armed with the thing, first? :D

Orin J.

• Captain
  • I am to feared! Aw, come on guys...
« Reply #21 on: 01 January 2013, 12:12:56 »
I wouldn't call the Warg ugly- the lack of pretty isn't the issue here. the BA looks like like someone unfamiliar with bipedal hominids designed it, and was legitimately surprised when someone sent back complaints. it looks unnatural, in some inherent way, and i can see that repelling people. it just doesn't seem like it fits together.

if you can get past this, it's a fairly daunting looking suit. it's absolutely covered in weapons for BA, and the exposed ammo feed aside there's not much about it that says "shoot here to bring me down!". all in all, a design that is just one small anatomy lesson away from being great looking in my opinion.

...seriously, it almost looks like something you might find built by aliens in a lovecraft story.
The Grey Death Legion? Dead? Gotcha, wake me when it's back.....
--------------------------
Every once in a while things make sense.

Don't let these moments alarm you. They pass.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #22 on: 01 January 2013, 15:25:24 »
For as slow as it is, I wish it had LRMs.

That said, dropping them off in woods is a great way to say, DON'T COME IN HERE.
Little 6 hex bubbles of doom they are.

I'm wondering what LRM's + ERSL + Flamer would look like.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

lucho

• Warrant Officer
  • say hello to my new friend!
« Reply #23 on: 01 January 2013, 17:54:28 »
I find it a bit odd that the clan that designed the supremely versatile Elemental suit would design a suit without modular mounts. The Warg could probably benefit from the ability to reconfigure its weapons.

If a vegetarian eats vegetables, what does a humanitarian eat?

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #24 on: 01 January 2013, 17:59:15 »
The cockpit glass seems hideously large.  I mean, the pilot's waist doesn't need to be able see, does it?
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #25 on: 01 January 2013, 19:41:32 »
I find it a bit odd that the clan that designed the supremely versatile Elemental suit would design a suit without modular mounts. The Warg could probably benefit from the ability to reconfigure its weapons.
If I got it right it has absolutely no weight left. But it should be easy enough to free up 20 kg for the arm mounts, and it sure looks like modular mounts!

The torso doesn't have any slots left for that, thought. Unless you want to go farther and call the SRMs a single 6-rack.

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #26 on: 01 January 2013, 23:14:44 »
The cockpit glass seems hideously large.  I mean, the pilot's waist doesn't need to be able see, does it?

This is one of those learn fom the IS designs. Though learn can be loosely interpreted. The pilot is more in a cockpit. When I was working on the unit I envisioned Waldo controls for the hands and pedals like a mech cockpit for the feet. Most, if not all of the body parts for the Elemental are in the torso.
-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Ratwedge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: 01 January 2013, 23:31:32 »
This is one of those learn fom the IS designs. Though learn can be loosely interpreted. The pilot is more in a cockpit. When I was working on the unit I envisioned Waldo controls for the hands and pedals like a mech cockpit for the feet. Most, if not all of the body parts for the Elemental are in the torso.

That makes it seem even more hilarious now. Its a clown car for Elementals.

That was the old Clan Wolf.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #28 on: 01 January 2013, 23:40:02 »
That makes a bit more sense, but it still just looks odd, aesthetically, for the design's "face" to take up its whole torso.  Its like....an SRM-toting, mechanical Domo, or something.

I mean, that's a bad example, but some sort of simplistic cartoon character with their face in their chest.  The classic Looney Tunes Tasmanian Devil might be a better example.
« Last Edit: 01 January 2013, 23:44:54 by Arkansas Warrior »
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #29 on: 02 January 2013, 00:12:33 »
Could you at least let the Nova Cats get a canon battlesuit armed with the thing, first? :D

We have one it just needs stats!

And I'd love to see a Warg variant with the BA LB-X
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3