Author Topic: RIP Christopher Tolkien  (Read 1293 times)

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
RIP Christopher Tolkien
« on: 17 January 2020, 22:13:24 »
Christopher Tolkien has taken the straight road and gone on to Aman:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/obit-christopher-tolkien-1.5430547

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
Re: RIP Christopher Tolkien
« Reply #1 on: 17 January 2020, 22:31:13 »
RIP. 

There are those that rejoice at his passing (hopefully not too many here), but I would point out to them the "damage" is already done.  He did the best he could to bring us more of his father's vision.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 18 January 2020, 01:52:58 »
RIP. I feel like I should say more, but I'm lost for words.  :(
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #3 on: 18 January 2020, 12:17:21 »
Most of what ensured his father was not just another obscure academic is because of his own actions, like consistency in the Hobbit.

We are truly in debt to them, father and son.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 19 January 2020, 00:26:33 »
I'll leave this as tribute to the Son of the Orc King

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdXQJS3Yv0Y

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #5 on: 22 January 2020, 22:06:26 »
Farewell Christopher, and thank you for the Silmarillion, I truly enjoyed it.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #6 on: 23 January 2020, 18:03:08 »
I enjoyed the Silmarillion too, as depressing as it was.  They achieved such heights, but also such lows...

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #7 on: 23 January 2020, 18:09:05 »
Hell, I even bought The Children of Hurin.  It was an expansion on Turin Turambar.  Not as good as the Sil as a whole, but still entertaining.

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 23 January 2020, 18:12:06 »
Was it more depressing than the Silmarillion?  I don't know if I want to pick it up if it is...

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #9 on: 23 January 2020, 18:18:04 »
It's Tolkien at his darkest.  "Morgoth caused an evil wind to blow south out of Angband that winter" is a rough quotation of how it begins.  Turin Turambar's main short story is in the Silmarillion so if you have read that, then you've already read 75% of Children of Hurin.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #10 on: 23 January 2020, 18:28:34 »
That's exactly why I'm hesitant... Morgoth was torturing Hurin with the fate of his children.

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
  • Just here for a little mayhem.
« Reply #11 on: 24 January 2020, 09:35:26 »
I bought the following novels as well, but haven't read The Children of Hurin or any of them.
liber et infractus

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #12 on: 24 January 2020, 11:37:27 »
Children of Hurin was pretty good, but then, Of Turin Turambar was my favorite story from the Sil.  Just narrowly beat out Beren and Luthien in my book.

I still have to get The Fall of Gondolin

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #13 on: 24 January 2020, 11:41:16 »
"Day shall come again!"

My favorite quotation from the Sil.  Hurin was a badass.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 24 January 2020, 15:33:47 »
I've read the Quenta Silmarillion back-to-back seven times over the years. It's not an easy work to read or understand. Took me three or four passes until I finally understood who is who, what is going on, and how the stories interconnect. But from that point on it is awesome.
But at the end of the day, it is a compilations of unfinished works. I really appreciate and admire Christopher Tolkien's work, first putting the work together in the first place and then later hammering out final versions of the key stories.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
« Reply #15 on: 25 January 2020, 20:31:42 »
There are those that rejoice at his passing (hopefully not too many here), but I would point out to them the "damage" is already done.  He did the best he could to bring us more of his father's vision.

We have nothing to complain about Christopher Tolkien's contributions.  The Hobbit was written for him, he was consulted on the plot of Lord of the Rings and his father gave him control and direction of the media.  He had the right to complete the Silmarillion and had the right to make new books.  Frankly he was restrained and only kept to his father vision and became a curator rather than a continuator.

I do now fear damage though with Amazon prequel Tv shows, Jackson's ego with his daft Hobbit trilogy content and crap shovelled out by the Saul Zaentz company and others.  It is in danger of being Disnefied and there have already been moves to extend the IP hold by third parties beyond the lifespan of the copyright of the original works.
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.