Poll

Who do you find to be the most interesting character(s) as of 3152? Why?

Nikol Marik
6 (6%)
Julian Davion
12 (12%)
Trillian Steiner
3 (3%)
Daoshen Liao
2 (2%)
Danai Liao
9 (9%)
Roderick Steiner
1 (1%)
Erik Sandoval-Groell
1 (1%)
Gavin Marik-Davion
5 (5%)
Yori Kurita
7 (7%)
Vedet Brewer
4 (4%)
Kenyon Marik
1 (1%)
Alaric Steiner-Davion Ward
5 (5%)
Abduon Ricol
4 (4%)
Jonah Levin
2 (2%)
Petr Kalasa
2 (2%)
Kisho
1 (1%)
Sterling McKenna
3 (3%)
Julietta Marik
1 (1%)
Tucker Harwell
2 (2%)
Henry Kincaid
3 (3%)
Calamity Kell
3 (3%)
Ilsa Centrella
0 (0%)
Gavin Stewart
0 (0%)
Othar
5 (5%)
Ronan Carlyle
6 (6%)
Bel Carlyle
6 (6%)
Peter Cobb
3 (3%)
Ludwig Steiner
2 (2%)
Haya Tetsuhara
1 (1%)
Magon Scott
0 (0%)
Emmy Line
0 (0%)
Rudolf Schmidt
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: Who do you find to be the most interesting character(s) as of 3152? Why?  (Read 681 times)

Minemech

• Captain
Who do you find to be the most interesting Character(s) as of 3152? Why? Feel free to expand on the strengths and flaws of any character.
 If you want me to add someone, say so and I will try to as soon as I see it.

I am allowing up to 3 votes so people can have some wiggle room, but you can name more in the thread.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
Ack -- I put "Othar" because I misread it for "other"... I was going to cast a joint vote for Ronan and Bel Carlyle, just as I've been greatly enjoying the exploits of the reborn Grey Death Legion.

Minemech

• Captain
Ack -- I put "Othar" because I misread it for "other"... I was going to cast a joint vote for Ronan and Bel Carlyle, just as I've been greatly enjoying the exploits of the reborn Grey Death Legion.
Added and reset

17thRecon

• Master Sergeant
Nikol Marik: a fresh young Marik character that legitimately seems to be trying to be a good leader for the right reasons.

Danai Liao: similar to Nikol, but with less naivety. Probably going to be doing great things.

Yori Kurita: because she’s Kurita and none of the other choices had any real appeal.

CJC070

• Lieutenant
The Carlyle siblings mainly for resurrecting the Gray Death Legion and not needing a Mackies level of plot armour to keep going.  I would like to add Peter Cobb for making a niche Clan something to look out for. 

Of course the credit goes to the current generation of authors.  Keep up the good work.

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
Ludwig Steiner, he actually made gains that lasted to the end of a book and the stability of the Commonwealth hinges on him not wanting to be Archon but also having the Archon tell everyone that they're close friends, possibly besties.

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

MarauderD

• Major
I voted for Yori, Julian, and Danai.  No specific order.  They've all had a hell of a decade, and I'm curious to read more about all three.

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
Danai Liao-Centrella (let’s not forget that she’s Canopian-raised and her Centrella half is just as important to who she is as a character) and Sterling McKenna.

Danai has had a pretty solid arc for the last 20ish years of publication and Sterling has made an art form out of wrapping idiot men around her finger in a way that would make the Centrellas proud.

I’d vote for Peter Cobb as my third but he has yet to stand out as anything but a James Cobb clone, IMO.
« Last Edit: 25 April 2024, 20:37:59 by tassa_kay »
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
I might add Haya Tetsuhara the CO of the newly formed Zeta Battalion. Though perhpas she is still missing some more background / story elements so far.

BrianDavion

• Captain
For me it's "what characters as of 3152 are in the most intreasting situations?"
and I think the winners for me are Alaric Ward, Julian Davion and Yori Kurita.

The Suns will shine again

Church14

• Lieutenant
Yori and Toranaga stood out for me as making the most DC the DC has felt in a long time. Since Toranaga died, that leaves her.

Othar stands out to me as the first interesting Clan Wolf Character since Ulric.

After that, it drops off dramatically for individuals and I’m more engaged with the faction as a character. If I had to pick a third, maybe Levin as I really want to see what the old soldier does now. The rest of my picks are dead and gone.

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
I would say I am interested in what Tucker does. First he was the guy who managed to get a HPG running and therefor becoming the most wanted man in the IS. Now we have a man who has not his former full mental capacity but still manages feats you might not think possible like finding Stone where no one else could or vanishing into thin air on a conquered Terra. Makes me wonder what the Ilclan era has in store for him considering what he went through

Minemech

• Captain
Danai Liao-Centrella (let’s not forget that she’s Canopian-raised and her Centrella half is just as important to who she is as a character)

I fear the addition will make finding her more difficult for some. I know it can go both ways, so it is a judgement call. I should have just placed her first to avoid that issue.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
I fear the addition will make finding her more difficult for some. I know it can go both ways, so it is a judgement call. I should have just placed her first to avoid that issue.

I was just pointing out that this is her actual name and what she goes by in every bit of publication. It's technically true of Daoshen, but he intentionally drops the Centrella.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Nerroth

• Captain
Technically, it's not spelled out that any or all of them are still around as of June 3152, as the updates in their home region of space extend only as far as 3151 at this time of typing.

That said, I'm interested to see more of what lies in store for Khan Magon Scott, zarKhan Emmy Line, and Star Colonel (and possibly the new saKhan?) Rudolf Schmidt, not least as and when definitive news from Terra reaches the Scorpion Empire.

On the one hand, there is the interesting dynamic of ex-Hansa MechWarriors gaining an increased presence in the Empire's military and civilian leadership. And how well - or badly - this new development might be received among those in the touman representing the various constituent peoples of the pre-3140 Imperio.

On the other hand, with their new holding in the Chaine Cluster as a forward observation point, and with the means of running a fully functional HPG network in their back pocket, what manner of diplomatic stance might the Empire's leadership take when the time comes to negotiate with Alaric Ward's ilClan Wolf - to include seeing whether or not the new Star League Council might agree to un-Abjure Clan Goliath Scorpion?

Plus, with ongoing Seeker quests continuing to be launched,  to what extent might this act as a "wild card", in terms of either helping or hindering the Khan and zarKhan's foreign policy? Or rather, now that the Scorpions are being obliged to take such a thing as "foreign policy" seriously, at least more so than at any time since the Abjuration from the Homeworlds, to what extent might they re-frame their ongoing commitment to the Seeker movement in light of this?

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
The Shrapnel story about the Scorpion empire told about the new reorganisation of the empire which includes are more direct integration of the Hanse population while also dealing with Clan hardliners. Plus they apparently won't reach out to the Wolves but rather wait for them to come to the Empire and then negotiate with them. As Emmy pointed out in her appointment speech they are no longer beholden to the rede of the Clans and view Kerensky's way of the Clan as folly. So if Alaric (if at that point he is still IlKhan) overplays his hand he just might make a new enemy. One he can't reach easily as the Empire is "way out there"

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
Emmy Line: "We won't let this ilClan interfere with our unique way of life!"

Alaric: "I don't even know who you are."

Metallgewitter

• Lieutenant
Emmy Line: "We won't let this ilClan interfere with our unique way of life!"

Alaric: "I don't even know who you are."

I bet the Wolf watch has a folder somewhere called "weirdos" and the Scorpions fill the entire section. In all seriousness they at least had contact with the Scorpions during the Dark Age when they raidedwolf-occupied Solaris VII for the content of a museum which included the head of Kerensky's Orion

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
I think Gavin Marik-Davion is the single most interesting character. What’s his angle? Is he trying to help Julian, or displace him? What resources does he have access to? A lot of mystery there yet to be revealed.

I think Julian and Trillian are both in interesting, tricky situations.  While they may not be personally as interesting (though I *don’t* find Julian to be just a Victor clone as some have said in the past), I am interested to see how they navigate their respective ships of state through the particularly treacherous seas they find themselves in.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Nerroth

• Captain
At the time of the Moving Forward story in Shrapnel #6, the most up-to-date information the Scorpions had on the situation in and around Terra was six months out of date - and that was considered to be a relatively quick update, by the standards of the post-Blackout Inner Sphere and near Periphery.

But that was before the seizure of the enclave in the Chaine Cluster, and before work began in earnest to run an HPG relay from there back to the Empire proper.

Now, it's all but certain that June 3152 is still much too soon for this relay network to be operational. But even the process of creating it would steadily cut down the time needed for more-up-to-date information to reach Braunschweig - and once the relay is complete, news can be sent back and forth as readily as had been between the Clan Occupation Zones and Strana Mechty prior to the Wars of Reaving.

Even if Clan Sea Fox's efforts to restore the Inner Sphere HPG network are only beginning to roll out by that time, this would still allow the Scorpion leadership to negotiate directly with the Khanate(s) located in and around the Chainelane Isles - and, through them, to other Khanates elsewhere in known space. But once the Foxes get more and more HPGs back up and running (or if the Scorpions themselves change tack, in terms of how much they leverage their own capacity to build functional HPGs), the Scorpions would be able to contact other Clan and/or Inner Sphere leaders... not least of which being the ilKhan on Terra itself.

Once that happens, it's quite possible that the stance taken by the Scorpion leadership at that point is different from the one the zarKhan articulated in her inaugural address. And, once the knowledge that the Scorpions have functioning HPGs, and the capacity to deploy them far from their home systems, reaches Terra in turn, perhaps that might act as an inducement towards reversing the Council of Six's Abjuration of Clan Goliath Scorpion - even if going as far as to offer the Scorpions a seat on the new Star League Council is a matter for further consideration.

-----

On a side note: beyond the Chaine Cluster holdings, I would still like to see the Scorpions increase their presence in the "on-map" Inner Sphere and near Periphery. While the majority of the touman would stay at home in case the Homeworld Clans ever decide to show up, I might yet wonder if a Galaxy's worth of forces could be spared to take a shot at the dezgra pirates of the Rim Territories.

(Bonus points if the Scorpions revert any planets they seize there back to their old Star League-era names.)

That might lessen their dependence on the goodwill of their Sea Fox hosts in the Chainelane Isles, give their more restless warriors somewhere to be deployed (so as to keep them from causing trouble closer to home), open up the border worlds of the Lyran Commonwealth to trade with the Scorpions' ex-Hansa merchant caste, and enable them to establish more forward operation bases for future Seeker quests.

Although, with the headache of the Hinterlands on the Archon's mind, I might wonder how the prospect of yet another Clan parking armed forces on the Commonwealth's doorstep might be received over on Tharkad.

But then, the Scorpions still (more or less) self-identify as Wardens. If they are helping to get rid of the pirates, and hold back from making claims on Lyran space proper - which would be more than a single Galaxy could handle, at any rate - perhaps the trade-off would not be an overly negative one?

Plus, there's no guarantee that negotiations between the Scorpions and the ilClan would go well. If things go badly on that front, there's nothing to prevent the Scorpions from negotiating with the Lyrans instead...
« Last Edit: Today at 11:15:19 by Nerroth »

Register