6 (3.1%)
Star Adders
12 (6.3%)
Wolverines
26 (13.6%)
Other (please specify)
23 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 191

Author Topic: ilClan Speculation: place your bets  (Read 41562 times)

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
ilClan Speculation: place your bets
« on: 01 August 2018, 12:15:54 »
Now that Shattered Fortress is due to be out this year, and ilClan sometime after that, it's time to idly speculate.

Given the proclivities of TPBers, the ilClan will be the Resurrected Blood Spirit-Smoke Jaguars-Wolverines. It's so obvious.  :D
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
Re: ilClan Speculation: place your bets
« Reply #1 on: 01 August 2018, 13:09:41 »
Clan Snord.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Fallen_Raven

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 01 August 2018, 14:31:20 »
Ice Hellion. They weren't absorbed, they just got up to 88mph and jumped to the future!
Subtlety is for those who lack a bigger gun.

The Battletech Forums: The best friends you'll ever fire high-powered weaponry at.-JadeHellbringer

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #3 on: 01 August 2018, 15:05:23 »
I can't see it happening but I've gotta vote for the home team here.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #4 on: 01 August 2018, 15:08:29 »
I voted Wolves, but if it turns out to be the Jade Falcons, I will laugh and laugh and laugh.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #5 on: 01 August 2018, 15:11:01 »
Same here (with regard to the "home team").  Every other choice seems too obvious.

If the Jade Falcons pull it off, they'll become the next Clan to be mass-absorbed. 
« Last Edit: 01 August 2018, 15:37:40 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #6 on: 01 August 2018, 15:13:53 »
My honest prediction for years now has been that the Wolves will become ilClan, and then right as Alaric is about to take the throne, so to speak, Anastasia will stab him in the back and take it from him. Basically, he's going to get Elias Crichell-ed.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #7 on: 01 August 2018, 15:37:26 »
The Society......  ;)

Serious answer: The entire Council of Six
« Last Edit: 01 August 2018, 16:27:40 by Maingunnery »
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 01 August 2018, 15:50:27 »
While I would love the Ravens to get the nod, there would be all sorts of "nope, not happening" if they did.  And since all the teaser indications suggest the Wolves or Falcons, I gotta go with the lesser of the two weevils, and pick the Wolves.  :'(

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 01 August 2018, 16:19:10 »
I would love to say the Bears or Wolverines!!!

But going to have to throw my vote to the Wolves
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #10 on: 01 August 2018, 17:20:25 »
No Clan Marik?  aka Clan Purple Eagle?  >:D

Clan Protectorate does a Stephen Bradbury ftw!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 01 August 2018, 18:04:22 »
Coyotes.  All will bow, or be crushed beneath the massive weight of our assault mechs.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #12 on: 01 August 2018, 18:04:42 »
Throwing a vote Clan Sea Fox's way, on the basis that Wolves and Falcons seem too obvious, and am broadly in favor of the idea that Clan Sea Fox is up to something DEVIOUS.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Bren

• Warrant Officer

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #14 on: 01 August 2018, 18:24:51 »
My honest prediction for years now has been that the Wolves will become ilClan, and then right as Alaric is about to take the throne, so to speak, Anastasia will stab him in the back and take it from him. Basically, he's going to get Elias Crichell-ed.
It's painfully obvious from Alaric's bizarre and ridiculous heritage that he'll be involved at the highest levels.
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 01 August 2018, 18:27:10 »
It's painfully obvious from Alaric's bizarre and ridiculous heritage that he'll be involved at the highest levels.

On one hand you're absolutely right...

But on the other I'm hoping the new Powers That Be changed that outcome during the years-long hold for the ilClan book production.  It would be great for the "Hey obviously Clan Wolf is gonna be ilClan" story hints to retroactively be turned into Lucy pulling the football out on us.

Edit:  And if we're going to have an ilClan that doesn't end in one faction permanently winning BattleTech, I can think of no better temporary top of the heap than Malvina's Falcons.
« Last Edit: 01 August 2018, 18:29:33 by Tai Dai Cultist »

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 01 August 2018, 18:30:44 »
On one hand you're absolutely right...

But on the other I'm hoping the new Powers That Be changed that outcome during the years-long hold for the ilClan book production.  It would be great for the "Hey obviously Clan Wolf is gonna be ilClan" story hints to retroactively be turned into Lucy pulling the football out on us.
I would prefer it if the Wars of Reaving had been won by the Society and they re-invaded the Inner Sphere. The Alaric story would then make sense, as he could be a Society puppet at the highest level of government; one of their genetic experiments raised to be 100% subservient to the Scientist caste.

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 01 August 2018, 20:50:10 »
 The Ravens are more the types to install someone as ilClan.  This would be with the obvious intent to hijack the ilClan process, and force it to work on their terms.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 01 August 2018, 20:54:03 »
 To that end, I could see them installing Clan Jade Falcon, while using the Wolf rivalry to cull that which they cannot not control.

Nemesis

• Corporal
« Reply #19 on: 01 August 2018, 20:58:11 »
Adders.

Because regardless of which corrupted IS Clan is first to set foot on Terra and technically become the ilClan, it won't be long before a real Clan takes it away from them. Probably in the most sacred of Clan rituals, a Trial of Plot.

Seriously though, I expect an IS Clan to make the claim (most likely Wolves), followed by a second invasion to take it from them. A successful invasion, now that the homeworlds have consolidated and can throw their (albeit reduced) combined might behind an undivided attack with proper logistics this time.

Any agreement the Clans had in the original invasion to recognize the first one to Terra as ilClan in perpetuity doesn't apply to the IS Clans that have turned their back on the Clan way. I expect a major component of the storyline to be that traditional vs assimliated Clans cultural schism.

Star Adder, Star Adder, he drives a pitch black Mech
Star Adder, Star Adder, with Heavy Laser tech

(with apologies to Rowan Atkinson)

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 01 August 2018, 21:10:31 »
 A fun alternate scenario has the Republic offering the Bears and Ravens enclaves in the Terran system to form ilClan, in exchange for those clans running interference for the Republic. ilClan would not erase the Republic, but transform it into something that would survive.

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #21 on: 01 August 2018, 21:51:15 »
What I expect: The Wolves will be ilClan.

What I'd like to see (and the way I voted): The Jade Falcons and the Wolves throw themselves at the Republic and are repulsed.  Sure, there's the guaranteed climactic battle between Alaric and Stone... but neither of them survives.  Since the Republic's even less stable, the Ghost Bears step in and call themselves ilClan so all of this nonsense will stop, or at least can be redirected against the uppity Successor States to bring everything back to a semblance of order.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 01 August 2018, 21:51:55 »
I would prefer it if the Wars of Reaving had been won by the Society and they re-invaded the Inner Sphere. The Alaric story would then make sense, as he could be a Society puppet at the highest level of government; one of their genetic experiments raised to be 100% subservient to the Scientist caste.

That is actually rather brilliant.  They already make clones of Aidan Pryde why not a new Victor Steiner-Davion

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #23 on: 01 August 2018, 22:57:58 »
Throwing a vote Clan Sea Fox's way, on the basis that Wolves and Falcons seem too obvious, and am broadly in favor of the idea that Clan Sea Fox is up to something DEVIOUS.

Three votes for Sea Fox. Diamond Khanate show them what's up. :)

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #24 on: 01 August 2018, 23:26:56 »
My Bet. Fidelis. Clan Jade Falcon and Clan Wolf versus the Fidelis for title of Ilclan.

TigerShark

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 02 August 2018, 00:42:21 »
My Bet. Fidelis. Clan Jade Falcon and Clan Wolf versus the Fidelis for title of Ilclan.
I don't believe the Fidelis consider themselves Clan, nor would the Council of 6.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #26 on: 02 August 2018, 00:52:22 »
I don't believe the Fidelis consider themselves Clan, nor would the Council of 6.

In the ending of Surrender your Dreams Paul Moon gives the next in line a book with a Smoke Jaguar on the front of it and tells them to go claim their birthright by stepping on Terra without fanfare.

The Fidelis Crest is a daggerstar on a shield.

In the beginning of the second succession war book information is being made available to them by the Exarch. This suggests that they might serve the Exarch. They also refer to the time that the Clans are not in the Inner Sphere as their Exile.

It is unlikely that Clan Wolf or Clan Jade Falcon would serve the Exarch. But the Fidelis already do.

The Smoke Jaguars weren't abjured. They were, "Annihilated" it obviously didn't stick. They'd just need to win a trial against anybody who said they weren't a Clan to prove it.

Clan Wolf and Clan Jade Falcon believe they can win and have to defeat them anyways to take Terra. So they'll accept a trial if it's offered.

The Fidelis is hardly Clan Smoke Jaguar anymore. So from a game design perspective it neatly gets around any Clan "Winning" and giving players bragging rights over another group of fans. It also can couple the Republic and the Clans thus reducing the number of factions.

It's an optimal solution.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #27 on: 02 August 2018, 00:59:11 »
They said they may not strictly adhere to the ending of "Surrender Your Dreams."

Surrender your Dreams epilogue happens 21 years after Fortress Republic.

Fortress Republic Happens in 3135. Surrender your Dreams epilogue happens 21 years after that. So 3156. The Ilclan could still happen in 3156, but it could also happen earlier.

They said they're not necessarily considering the ending valid because it would be too restrictive. But they didn't say they'd ignore it. I think it's strange that so many people have ignored something as a, "Crazy plan that won't work." that was literally already written into a Battletech book.

"Nah It couldn't happen!"

It already did once! At the very least Paul Moon thinks it can happen.

Anyways. It's what I'd do as a developer if I was going to pull the trigger on an Ilclan. Just to avoid Clan fan infighting.

That's not true. If I was the developer I'd make Clan Sea Fox the Ilclan because they're my babies and I hate imagining a battletech without them.... But you know. If someone was going to force me to be an adult...

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #28 on: 02 August 2018, 02:53:16 »
The Diamond Khanate is quite the voting power block.   ^-^

Funny that the Star Adders get called Clan Davion, when it's clearly the Wolves who are the real Clan Davion.  Even their leader is part Davion.  And yes, it is a ridiculous heritage. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #29 on: 02 August 2018, 08:30:36 »
The Smoke Jaguars weren't abjured. They were, "Annihilated" it obviously didn't stick. They'd just need to win a trial against anybody who said they weren't a Clan to prove it.

No, they'd be seen a dezgra cowards to be eliminated, like those of the Not-named-Clan. The Jaguars lost, this isn't Wauconda.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.