Author Topic: Two warriors in the same clan with the same first name and blood name  (Read 2216 times)

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
Is it possible that this would happen? If so, how would one differentiate between the two?

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Unlikely, but I don't see why not.

Ultimately, it'd be like two soldiers in a contemporary millitary having the same name. Their ranks, positions, service histories and so on would help distinguish them.

Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Every Codex probably has a unique serial number.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
I'd also imagine a trial of some kind between the two would be inevitable, and the problem would be fated to sort itself out by one of them killing the other.

Barring that:

Sibko of origin is probably part of the entire, formal name.  Assuredly a given sibko doesn't re-use first names.  Plus, serial/service numbers are probably a thing too.
« Last Edit: 03 March 2019, 17:01:42 by Tai Dai Cultist »

Talen5000

• Lieutenant
    • Handbook: Smoke Jaguar
Is it possible that this would happen? If so, how would one differentiate between the two?

By not letting it happen. I would presume once a Warrior again his Bloodnamed, then the first name will never be used again for that BloodHouse. There will only ever by one Ulric Kerensky.

By the same token, it likely isn't a big deal. How many John Smiths are there, and how do we differentiate between them?
"So let me get this straight. You want to fly on a magic carpet to see the King of the Potato People and plead with him for your freedom, and you're telling me you're completely sane?" -- Uncle Arnie

Apocal

• Warrant Officer
By not letting it happen. I would presume once a Warrior again his Bloodnamed, then the first name will never be used again for that BloodHouse. There will only ever by one Ulric Kerensky.

By the same token, it likely isn't a big deal. How many John Smiths are there, and how do we differentiate between them?

John Smith... the one from Wisconsin? Oh, the one from Florida.

But in real world cultures where there are far more limited numbers of names (John Smith is actually rare in combination) they tend to develop nicknames, semi-formal second names or similar such. The Romans had their cognomen and the Chinese until a century ago were given courtesy names. The Mongols use a lot of nicknaming to make up for the fact that most of them don't use surnames. I suspect the writers don't include such in the books because it would be seen as confusing or adding more depth than desirable. Just imagine how many question threads we would have if Joannna was known as Joanna Ira (from 'irascible') and people didn't realize it was a nickname and not her actual bloodname.

Frogfoot

• Master Sergeant
There are a few known nicknames. In the old Wolf Clan book there are Warriors nicknamed 'the Black Swan', 'Wolfman' and 'the ilKhan's Shadow', in the Jade Falcon sourcebook there's 'Black Crusader' and 'Iceman', in Warden Clans there's a Snow Raven called 'Il Principe'.

You get epithets too like the Bloody ilKhan for Brett Andrews and the Chinggis Khan for Malvina Hazen.

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
If I was running things, I would have the personnel who were giving the newly-hatched warriors names consult a database of living warriors.  If the name is already there, the name cannot be used.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
I'd also imagine a trial of some kind between the two would be inevitable, and the problem would be fated to sort itself out by one of them killing the other.

The victor shall be the one true James John Smith

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
I would think the Clans strict controls on breeding and record keeping would make this impossible. They aren't named by wacky parents like the rest of us (so no Dweezle Osis or Moonunit Karensky...), but in batches by caretakers. I would assume the computers would issue unused or recycled names, making sure not to duplicate any living name holders.

Boomer8

• Corporal
  • Caballeros Forever!
The victor shall be the one true James John Smith

Don't you mean the one true John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt?
Victor W. Milan (1954-2018) Taken before he finished.

ClarkeMarek

• Captain
  • The original
I'd think that they probably pull the names out of a hat, eliminating that problem, but I'm not sure.  Though I kind of figure that the problem would occur in different Clans if they share a bloodname, or have the same bloodname but through a different bloodparent(Jorgenson for the former Widowmakers and Ghost Bears, and Cooper for Hell's Horses and Snow Ravens would come to mind.  Hmm, I wonder what would happen in the later case if each one had a Star Commander named Lauren from House Cooper?  :o )
"Son, if dynamite was dangerous, do you think they'd sell it to an idiot like me?"~Al Bundy
Five rounds, rapid!

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall

They have to. At least I HOPE so. Even the greatest of LosTech Random Name-Assignment Computers can't keep that many single names afloat in one Clan.
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
I feel like there might be duplicate name examples in the Wolf/Falcon Tukayid Rosters.

Either way it shouldn't matter.  They have a Codex just like we have a SS#.   I've got duplicate named people in my building at work, let alone on ENTIRE PLANETS.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
It would only be an issue for two warriors from the same bloodhouse to have the same name.  And even then, it would be nothing their codices could not resolve. 
« Last Edit: 10 April 2019, 20:12:30 by rebs »
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert