Author Topic: Best Clan ground vehicle pre Jihad not including the Enyo  (Read 1811 times)

Drewbacca

• Major
  • What could have been...
What is the best Clan V not including the Enyo in use before the Jihad?

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
Re: Best Clan ground vehicle pre Jihad not including the Enyo
« Reply #1 on: 20 March 2019, 07:32:59 »
Depends on the role.  If you want the front end of an Assault dropship that crashed on some tracks, you've got the Mars as a barely mobile blob of firepower.  The Ku's alright, the Ares has a punch but NO armour, the Asshur has a silly name but is a good spotter and general harasser.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2019, 07:59:38 »
I'd say the Shoden, Hachiman and Oro would all be strong contenders.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 20 March 2019, 08:13:46 »
Depends on the role.  If you want the front end of an Assault dropship that crashed on some tracks, you've got the Mars as a barely mobile blob of firepower.  The Ku's alright, the Ares has a punch but NO armour, the Asshur has a silly name but is a good spotter and general harasser.
Good point.  The question is overly broad. 
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 20 March 2019, 09:01:13 »
I am thinking for general combat.

Drewbacca

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 20 March 2019, 09:07:49 »
Why is the Hachiman experimental?

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #6 on: 20 March 2019, 09:10:24 »
you're probably looking at a variant of the Hachiman, otherwise its not experimental and has the same firepower as an Archer.  For general combat the Ku's probably your best bet. The Ishtar's got good firepower but its SLOW and dear god it looks aweful.
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: 20 March 2019, 09:44:31 »
I'm rather fond of the Epona, despite its light armor, especially the C configuration...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 20 March 2019, 14:19:00 »
I'm rather fond of the Epona, despite its light armor, especially the C configuration...

Ruger

You mean the Elemental battle taxi? Definetly.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #9 on: 20 March 2019, 18:04:16 »
The "MBT"s are usually considered the Ku, Hachiman, Oro, and Ishtar. Ares are more harassing fire support. Shoden is late and very faction specific.

Of the four the Ishtar is more of a pocket assault you roll into a breech while the Oro is more of a Hellbringer like Swiss Army knife.

The Ku and Hachiman have a useful balance of speed, armour and firepower. I find the UAC makes the Ku a little short ranged. This matters because you need those range brackets to counter the Clan gunnery skills. I find Clan tank combat is all about firing lines at the magic 14 hexes so Kus and Ishtars tend to be rolled forward as fire magnets first.

That leaves the Hachiman as my favorite Clan MBT. The LRMs are a good mix of critting and firepower. I am comfortable putting it against any IS tank. It fits in a small vehicle bay and is cheap. 
« Last Edit: 20 March 2019, 18:10:25 by Jellico »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #10 on: 20 March 2019, 18:11:30 »
I love the oro. I ran an opfor vehicle star consisting four oro, four hachiman, and a pair of Athenas that was murderous

That said, pulse lasers are good because default vehicle crews are 5/6 and the improved accuracy catches up with higher damage over time
« Last Edit: 20 March 2019, 18:13:40 by Sartris »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 20 March 2019, 18:51:54 »
Depends on the job. I would say:

General: I would most want the Epona

Artillery: Huey AAA

Infantry Delivery: I am fond of the Maxim (Clan)
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #12 on: 21 March 2019, 03:12:18 »
Best? No idea.

One I find the most giggly fun? The Mars any day.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #13 on: 21 March 2019, 12:38:15 »
Best Clan tank, hands down, before the Jihad is the Morrigu & Morrigu (Laser) built in '64.  Longest reaching weapons for when you get pillbox'd, original has LRMs for significant IDF power & can start fires to cover its withdraw using the SRMs.  Oh yeah, the original has ECM to keep pesky electronics in check.  The (Laser) might have less armor, but its still a solid shell.

Before that the best tank in the Clan inventory?  Royal Von Luckner- 2 LB-10X, LRM10 w/ArtIV, 4 SSRM2, SPL, and 11 tons of armor.

Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #14 on: 22 March 2019, 20:26:04 »
Eww...

Pike C and Demo C...

Run these guys back to back...

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Register