Author Topic: Upcoming Releases Volume XIII: Unlucky Release Edition  (Read 206392 times)

cawest

• Captain
Re: Upcoming Releases Volume XIII: Unlucky Release Edition
« Reply #1200 on: 05 December 2018, 22:09:15 »

RanFelsnerAFFS

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1201 on: 06 December 2018, 08:33:38 »
My DTF copy of Shattered Fortress, which I pre-ordered with the CGL Store as soon as it was possible, was processed for shipment on Nov 29th. So basically on point with the announced street date. And it took not even a week for international shipping.

Thumbs Up!!

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #1202 on: 06 December 2018, 10:04:04 »
went to FLAGs and they are told that it is not listed for pre-order as of 5 Dec

This is the glitch I'm trying to run down. They're in the warehouse (meaning, shippable via CGL store) but the street date has moved, and thus the point at which it'll appear on a store's order form.

More soon, really. Trying to get all the ducks in a relative row for one big update, so that I'm not putting out communications in dribs and drabs that some people might miss.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1203 on: 06 December 2018, 10:15:05 »
More soon, really. Trying to get all the ducks in a relative row for one big update, so that I'm not putting out communications in dribs and drabs that some people might miss.

have you considered a Cubby' Corner thread in the battletech news section?

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1204 on: 06 December 2018, 10:15:56 »
Well, I am waiting for your word . . . made sure my FLGS's number is in my phone and ready.  I am not sure when they place the order, but I know it arrives Tuesdays.  So before the weekend would be super neat . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #1205 on: 06 December 2018, 10:52:36 »
have you considered a Cubby' Corner thread in the battletech news section?

You're pretty much sitting in it.

But also, I like to try to 1) engage customers where they are by 2) broadcasting a consistent message across all the platforms I have access to.

The brand just isn't in a place, visibility-wise, where I can plunk down in my own little corner and expect people to come to me.

Mech42ace

• Lieutenant
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #1206 on: 06 December 2018, 18:06:07 »
My copy of Shattered Fortress just arrived in the mail from the CGL store! Package was shipped promptly and the packaging was honestly way more than I expected - no complaints here!
At Comstar we listen. It's that simple.

Cubby

• BattleTech Developer
  • Major
« Reply #1207 on: 07 December 2018, 14:30:36 »
Now Available - Touring the Stars: Tortuga Prime!

On the pirate haven of Tortuga Prime, alliances can shift and power can exchange hands at a moment’s notice. An interstellar kleptocracy, Tortuga Prime’s only rule is simple: take what you need, and try to keep it. Will you further the centuries-old cycle of needless death and destruction—or put a stop to it once and for all?

Touring the Stars is a whistle-stop tour of the universe! Every system and planet where mankind treads in the BattleTech universe has a story, for those with the drive to explore it. Take a tour of the stars humanity now calls home, experience awesome new worlds, immerse yourself in the local civilization, and prepare to do battle in exotic locales.

https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/battletech-touring-the-stars-tortuga-prime

Discuss this new product here: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=63309.msg1465002#msg1465002

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #1208 on: 07 December 2018, 14:40:14 »
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1209 on: 07 December 2018, 14:43:29 »
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
« Reply #1210 on: 07 December 2018, 17:03:34 »
Yarrr!
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1211 on: 07 December 2018, 17:51:39 »
Definitely added to the list of things I need to buy...  :thumbsup:

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #1212 on: 07 December 2018, 19:12:39 »

I don't recognize them, but from the stupid way they're storing their pistols* I assume they're bad guys?

* is it wrong I'm hoping one died from that?

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #1213 on: 07 December 2018, 19:19:25 »
I don't recognize them, but from the stupid way they're storing their pistols* I assume they're bad guys?

The pirates from Exo-Squad...

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1214 on: 07 December 2018, 19:23:06 »
If photobucket still worked I'd totally repost that pic with a Ghost Bear roundel photoshopped over the skull.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #1215 on: 07 December 2018, 19:32:59 »
If photobucket still worked I'd totally repost that pic with a Ghost Bear roundel photoshopped over the skull.

Google images is, indeed, a roundabout way of doing things. I can attest as my sig suggests.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #1216 on: 07 December 2018, 20:50:12 »

That depends, do you like spoilers?
The pirates of the Exo-Squad series start off as the "bad guys".  They were criminals who were shipped out to mine the outer planets.  As the genetically engineered Neosapians came to be created and colonized the other inner planets, they were abandoned.  The criminals were hardy and thrived developing in to different clans.  The Neosapians managed a revolt and secured Mars for themselves and peace in the inner planets was had for several decades.  They began raiding the inner system till a massive naval response was gathered and left for the outer planets.

As the naval fleet began engaging the Pirate Clans, the Neosapians moved to conquer Earth and Venus and were successful.  The naval fleet beat the Pirate Clans back and raced back to Earth.  Much of the fleet was damageed and so they pulled back to repair and recollect.  Then a fool-hardy officer took the flagship in desperation and raced ahead to recover Earth.  The conflict destroyed the flagship and took a great toll on the survivors.

Having little choice, the naval commander turned to the Pirate Clans and gave them their tech in exchange for resources and manpower along with promises for future sovereignty.  They also added the pirate's cloaking tech to their equipment list, making it easier to send in materiel and trainers to resistance cells on Earth and Venus.  The series ends with the Neosapians defeated, but hints to another conflict to hit them all in an undeveloped season.

No word on if those pirates gave themselves a Darwin Award for such actions, but a lot of pirates died in the early part of the show.

It's a really good series offering a lot of mature themes for the time it originally aired, with characters actually dying.  If the writers for it worked on Battletech, they may not have been cancelled so soon.  It is currently on Amazon Prime Video, if you have access, and was on Hulu some years ago.  There are other options, of course, but those are up to the individual if they are worth the price.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #1217 on: 08 December 2018, 03:59:58 »
  After buying and reading Touring the Stars: Tortuga Prime, I find myself revisiting an old puzzle.  I’m mostly thinking out loud here, trying to hash out the sequence of events that led to the birth of arguably the Inner Sphere’s most notorious corsair haven.  Going all the way back to the original Periphery 1e sourcebook, we find their origin story treated to a sparse paragraph:

Quote from: 'p.154, FAS1629 The Periphery'
The Tortuga Dominions are a result of the Reunification War ... During the latter stages, the Federated Suns 237th Light Cavalry Regiment was all but destroyed in a wasteful penetration raid against the Taurian outpost of Sterope.  Unable to hold their positions and unwilling to be thrown into the vicious fray elsewhere, the 237th opted to jump outward into the unknown.

And in broad strokes, this matches what we get in the TtS pdf:

Quote from: 'p.4, Touring the Stars, Tortuga Prime'
The planet was discovered and settled in 2588 by deserters from the AFFS’s 237th Light Cavalry Regiment and their dependents after they fled the Reunification War.

And yet: in a wrap-up of the events of 2587 (including the Battle of Montour), the account of Operation BULL RUN in Historical: Reunification War goes out of its way to declare that Sterope was ‘newly colonised’.  With the SLDF et. al. camped on their doorstep, the TCA wouldn’t — couldn’t! — have had much to spare for garrisoning a remote start-up colony.  (Sterope didn’t reach its status as a major resource and manufacturing hub until well after the War, it would seem.)  The TCN had been all but annihilated at Montour.  The 237th should have had all but a walkover when they hit Sterope — and yet, somehow, an entire regiment got their asses handed to them, to the point where the TtS notes that upon colonising Tortuga Prime, their remaining ’Mech forces were a ‘demi-battalion’.  How did they get such a hiding, and who did the job?
  (There’s also the question of ‘who in Sagan’s name were the 237th Light Cavalry in the first place?’  As far as I can tell, the AFFS didn’t have a Light Cavalry formation before, during, or after the RW, and indeed joining the Star League meant that between donating troops to the SLDF and just plain Cameron-mandated RIFs, they’d just gone through a radical downsizing.  And why did they take their dependents along on what was supposed to be an objective strike?)

There’s also the issue of how the heck did these guys remain a viable menace for so long?  The loss of a mere three of their remaining ’Mechs in 2604 was enough to prompt the overthrow and murder of their then-leader.  I won’t go into the details of the absolute Charlie-Foxtrot that was their civilian ‘economy’ over the ensuing centuries — sorry, folks, you’ll have to buy your own copy to get all the dirt on that part ;) — but there’s no way they should’ve been able to maintain anything resembling modern war-machines, let alone ’Mechs, and yet by the 31st century they’re nearly a regimental-sized force!  Did they somehow steal whole job-lots of replacement ’Mechs from the FS/TC and somehow not get butchered in the process?  How did they not simply wither away, curl up and die within a century of settling Tortuga?  Hoooowwww?

Curse you, FASAnomics!

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1218 on: 08 December 2018, 08:06:33 »
I had similar issues when trying to figure out the 1st Kestrel Grenadiers got wiped out on a “reconnaissance raid” against the Capelland Confederation before the 4th Succession War. Who sends an entire regiment on a recon raid? How does the CC, with most garrisons being a battalion, destroy an entire regiment (that presumably wasn’t there to stick around).
The answer For the 2nd part I used was that somebody was there, not as a garrison, but to prepare their own attack. Therefore the defender force was much larger than would be expected, mich more than could normally be supported there.
No idea if that could work for Sterope in 2500s.
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1219 on: 08 December 2018, 08:43:33 »
Sterope being a staging area would explain their defeat, but not them bringing their dependents...

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1220 on: 08 December 2018, 10:12:42 »
Sterope being a staging area would explain their defeat, but not them bringing their dependents...

Do we know the timing?  If they effectively deserted, getting their dependents out would be a priority. Ie. They didn’t have them with them against Sterope, but as soon as they made the decision to desert they grabbed them then?
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1221 on: 08 December 2018, 10:16:42 »
That's an interesting idea... I wonder how close to the front lines dependents were housed...

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1222 on: 08 December 2018, 10:42:17 »
I could buy that planet the 237th went could been staging world, they got wiped to low levels.
Maybe the 237th was a local FedSuns formation that was raised, had a fancy name? Then there Mechs...if they had primitive or low-end mechs. i could again see why they could have got mowed down.

If the unit after taking such bad loss against battle harden ToC formation (or really good commander vs noobie) Moral for unit could been questionable, it took fatal blow break their faith in bigger FedSuns.  Remembering right, this is a pre-HPG era, so tying people into national schem of things maybe bit more of a challenge to up keep i would think.

They could have jumped back to forwarding base, and took off from there. Not like their alot ways to report movement if the JumpShip runs silent with IFF off and pirate points.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #1223 on: 08 December 2018, 15:31:08 »
They could have been a Merc that was made a house unit but kept their name and remained independent of the brigades

To explain the desertion with descendents they went back to baseworld them decided enough of this
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1224 on: 08 December 2018, 15:47:19 »
Exo-Squad was a great cartoon show, I really wish it was easier to find the show to watch again. I remember the toys when they combined with Robotech.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator
« Reply #1225 on: 09 December 2018, 17:10:01 »
When I hear of massive FedSuns casualties against Taurian opposition, my first thought is always nukes...

Meanwhile, the Kestrel Grenadiers recon raid and why it failed so spectacularly was written up not that long ago...can’t recall which product, though.

CDT Special Agent #343

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #1226 on: 09 December 2018, 17:26:51 »
Meanwhile, the Kestrel Grenadiers recon raid and why it failed so spectacularly was written up not that long ago...can’t recall which product, though.

XTRO Succession Wars - Cataphract entry.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1227 on: 09 December 2018, 19:13:44 »
When I hear of massive FedSuns casualties against Taurian opposition, my first thought is always nukes...

Yeah, I had to sort that out to write that entry. My notes were longer than the TR entry.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #1228 on: 10 December 2018, 08:45:42 »
Weren't they raiding Sian?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1229 on: 10 December 2018, 10:23:08 »
Weren't they raiding Sian?
It doesn't say.  There is a note about Cataphracts being shipped to Sian, but that's not where they went in to combat.
The Cataphracts were shipped to Sian for the Red Lancers.  They got some time training with them before moving to St. Ives as a staging ground. The Kestrel Grenadiers then stumbled across them when the KG attacked St. Ives.

Register