Author Topic: Upcoming Releases Volume XIII: Unlucky Release Edition  (Read 206407 times)

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Re: Upcoming Releases Volume XIII: Unlucky Release Edition
« Reply #1230 on: 10 December 2018, 11:05:40 »
Trace, did the 237th Light Cav fight anywhere before Sterope?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #1231 on: 10 December 2018, 11:27:38 »
I can understand the deserters/pirates on Turtuga not withering away and dying, ONLY because word of their desertion got around, and other units followed.  The Fed-Suns was too distracted with the Succession Wars to detour troops against them, and then it was history and not all that important.  The interactions between the initial 237th and the later arrivals must have gone badly, with one or the other group eventually defeating and enslaving at least some of the other arrivals.  It would still serve as a magnet for pirates and deserters with the authorities on their tail and no place to hide, bringing in some fresh (or at least less badly worn) equipment.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #1232 on: 11 December 2018, 07:05:29 »
Trace, did the 237th Light Cav fight anywhere before Sterope?
  As far as I can tell, the only place in canon where the 237th Light Cavalry is mentioned is in connection with the Sterope raid and their subsequent role in founding Tortuga.  No prior combat actions, to my knowledge... but then again, the AFFS’ pre-Star League order-of-battle hasn’t been nailed down in canon.  Hell, even at the end of the 26th century, their prior existence as the Federated Peacekeeping Force was still (just) within living memory!

Gravedigger

• Freelance Writer
  • Sergeant
« Reply #1233 on: 11 December 2018, 08:43:49 »
It would still serve as a magnet for pirates and deserters with the authorities on their tail and no place to hide, bringing in some fresh (or at least less badly worn) equipment.

And let's be honest, there is always the chance that less than honorable business interests in nearby realms would trade military goods for cheap labor, stolen material, or for targeted raids against rival corporations. Also, with the reputation that Tortuga has for brutality there is a high probability that some worlds near to the realm would want to play nice to them since they don't want their already taxed infrastructure broken or destroyed when a far away capital may not even know about the attack for months or years...

Aaron "Gravedigger" Pollyea

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1234 on: 11 December 2018, 14:12:33 »
Were the other planets of the Dominion lacking food producing worlds without need terraforming? I know the Dominion had breakdown of it's tech levels, but they could have gotten food from their near by worlds couldn't they?

It's great book, Aaron.

I hope you can do one on weirdest pirate related area of worlds, the "nearby" Pirate Haven Cluster.  That's "50" always makes it big wonky on how many things are in there to keep pirates safe from Periphery powers crushing them like FedCom did to Dominion.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Gravedigger

• Freelance Writer
  • Sergeant
« Reply #1235 on: 11 December 2018, 14:31:53 »
Oh, sure. I'm sure some of their extortion racket was getting food stuffs from more 'civilized' worlds. But in the end hunger and control of food can demand some control over the horde

And the way the Tortuga pirates worked, if the other worlds were more habitable and productive, its doubtful they would have actually produced much with the way they wasted labor, and treated everyone as disposable. Regardless, one has to think that the other worlds were marginally habitable at best and ruling such would be seen as a 'great reward' to strong pirates that may threaten whoever rules as Duke on Tortuga Prime. Get them off Prime to where they're forced to mine uranium laced asbestos (or something else as detrimental to life and limb) on Morgan's Holdfast so they're forced to spend more time not dying from the environment or being torn apart and eaten by the mob they are nominally in charge of instead of planning to off the Duke and take control.

If the other Tortuga worlds were even slightly better to live on, you'd think that the head honcho would pull up stakes and live there.

And thanks! I'm glad you liked it. It was fun to write something dysfunctional enough to bring out the worst in humanity. A little different from my usual fare. I mean, Debbie was a treat to write about.

Aaron "Gravedigger" Pollyea
« Last Edit: 11 December 2018, 14:34:53 by Gravedigger »

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #1236 on: 11 December 2018, 14:37:01 »
BattleTech Boxed Set Update #3 and Shattered Fortress Availability

We're pleased to announce that the full print runs of the "BattleTech Beginner Box" and "BattleTech: A Game of Armored Combat" reached our fulfillment center as scheduled on Dec. 3

After a week of discussions with that partner company, we can confirm that the Beginner Box has moved into the distribution pipeline and could appear on store shelves as soon as this Friday, Dec. 14, with full availability likely during the week of Dec. 17. This distribution is taking place by special agreement outside the company's normal ordering and street date schedule, an effort to get the Beginner Box to the public as soon as possible and before the holidays. However, local availability in your area may vary as this unique distribution process unfolds.

Following the fulfillment center's planned shutdown for the winter holidays, the "BattleTech: A Game of Armored Combat" boxed set will have a street date of Wednesday, January 23. Both box sets should be available via your local game store's order form, and both will become available via the Catalyst Game Labs webstore on January 23.

In addition, due to a miscommunication regarding scheduling, "Shattered Fortress" will have a street date of Wednesday, January 23 rather than the previously-announced date of November 28. The full print run of that sourcebook has been received by the fulfillment center and is available now through the Catalyst Game Labs store. However, all orders for that product placed through the Catalyst store will be fulfilled and shipped immediately--many customers have already ordered and reported receiving their copies.

We hope you enjoy these long-awaited products and have a very happy holiday season.

Discuss this news here!

Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1237 on: 11 December 2018, 14:39:32 »
Thanks for the updates.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1238 on: 11 December 2018, 14:59:52 »
Thanks for the news
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1239 on: 11 December 2018, 15:15:10 »
Wonder about Euro availability. Worried about how LGS doesn't have the beginner box listed on their site at all, usually they're good about getting upcoming BT products listed, like they have with the full box set... Of course, it is possible they haven't updated the list until they're sure about things, the box set listing appeared during later Spring, i think.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #1240 on: 11 December 2018, 15:15:18 »
WTF!! They have the product and won't be releasing two of three products for another six weeks. Thats ridiciulous even with a week off for Xmas.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Gigastrike

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1241 on: 11 December 2018, 15:23:52 »
Nice to finally have solid dates.  I don't have to hold off on giving people christmas gift ideas now.

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #1242 on: 11 December 2018, 15:37:47 »
Wonder about Euro availability.

I've been trying to get an answer on this. Now that this update is out, I may be able to focus on getting a clear answer. It comes up all the time, and I haven't liked the answers we've been able to offer so far.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Karasu

• Mecharcheologist by appointment
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #1243 on: 12 December 2018, 04:20:16 »
WTF!! They have the product and won't be releasing two of three products for another six weeks. Thats ridiciulous even with a week off for Xmas.

I don't know what you read, but what I read was that the distributor has the three products but wouldn't normally expect to get them out until January at this stage.  However, they are distributing one of them earlier anyway after Catalyst put some effort into talking to them.

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #1244 on: 12 December 2018, 14:34:29 »
Just to note as a example: My work can't order any additional shipping supplies until after the holidays. There is so much shipping traffic this time of year, you only have a certain window to get stuff done without it costing you extra, then you have to ride it out until things return to normal. 

So yeah, I can totally get how someone at a distributor can have a "wait, it was suppose to go out this week?" and missed the opportunity. I'm sure CGL will be holding the comments of angry fans over their head for some time unless they are already have a sweet deal with BT being a Topps property.   
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #1245 on: 12 December 2018, 14:50:03 »
I'm sure CGL will be holding the comments of angry fans over their head for some time

this only applies to days ending in "Y"

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #1246 on: 12 December 2018, 15:05:03 »
As far as I can tell, the AFFS didn’t have a Light Cavalry formation before, during, or after the RW, and indeed joining the Star League meant that between donating troops to the SLDF and just plain Cameron-mandated RIFs, they’d just gone through a radical downsizing. 

Downsizing at that particular time seems super unlikely. What's your source for Davion formations immediately prior to joining the Star League, and could the 237th Light Cavalry have been a designation for troops donated to the SLDF campaign?

And why did they take their dependents along on what was supposed to be an objective strike?

Does one of those books actually say they took dependents along?
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #1247 on: 12 December 2018, 15:20:54 »
Sucks that some of the stuff is after the new year, but glad its coming.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #1248 on: 13 December 2018, 05:04:08 »
Downsizing at that particular time seems super unlikely.
  I would refer you to the Star League Sourcebook (FAS1630), specifically p.42, the last three paragraphs on the page under ‘Prelude to War’.  According to that passage, that part of the reason for the Reunification War was to give millions of soldiers across the five Great Houses who’d abruptly been put out of work by the formation of the Star League an application for their main skillsets that didn’t involve turning bandit.

What's your source for Davion formations immediately prior to joining the Star League,
    Sadly, I can’t find an OOB for the AFFS pre-RW.  (I’m certain someone out there (apart from me) would be interested in seeing a product on the Davion Civil War, including full OOBs for the AFFS before, during, and after, but I doubt it would sell well enough to pay for itself.)  I would note, however, that of the formations mentioned in H:RW and Field Report 2765: AFFS, none mentions that having a lineage going back to a pre-Star League ‘Light Cavalry’ formation, and knowing how fanatical military units get about their regimental traditions....
  That said, Historical: Reunification War has the AFFS shedding 37 regiments (and 23 WarShips) to SLDF colours, including the entire Terran Brigade and half the Syrtis Fusiliers (as a consequence of their backing the wrong horse in the Davion Civil War).  It also specifically calls out the AFFS units assigned to the Auxiliary Corps: multiple Avalon Hussar and (remaining) Syrtis Fusilier regiments, as well as the Brigade of Guards, but not anything by the designation ‘Light Cavalry’.

and could the 237th Light Cavalry have been a designation for troops donated to the SLDF campaign?
  As noted above, the AFFS units serving in Operation BULL RUN seem to have retained their official permanent designations throughout, including the Avalon Hussars and Syrtis Fusiliers.  The 237th are specifically referred to as an AFFS unit in every source I can find on them, which admittedly is not many — only Periphery 1e, FM:P, and TtS:TP itself, so far.  However, Historical: Reunification War includes year-by-year Tabular Records of Movement of the regiments involved on every front of the War, and the listings for Operation BULL RUN on pages 142-145 don’t list a 237th Light Cavalry for the SLDF or the AFFS.  Indeed, for that matter H:RW doesn’t seem to make any mention of the Sterope raid at all.  (Which is regrettable, but entirely understandable — like many sourcebooks, it had far more pressing uses for word- and page-count than detailing the origins of a single pirate band.)

Does one of those books actually say they took dependents along?
  According to the very source that prompted my initial post:
Quote from: p.4, Touring the Stars: Tortuga Prime
The planet was discovered and settled in 2588 by deserters from the AFFS’s 237th Light Cavalry Regiment and their dependents after they fled the Reunification War.
  Units that desert generally can’t go home to pick up their cat (much less their families) without getting arrested for said desertion, so they must’ve already been on the ships when the Sterope operation went pear-shaped.  Ergo, either the 237th ‘simply’ brought their dependents along on their ships to spectate as they shot up a Taurian world (which is... bizarre, but not entirely without historical precedent), or their going ‘over the hill’ was premeditated and prepared long before they actually hit Sterope.  (You’d think that bringing their spouses and kids should’ve sent up red flags with anyone who saw them embarking, but then again....)

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #1249 on: 13 December 2018, 07:43:37 »
Maybe some day we can get a author who interested enough in the Davion Civil War, they could fill in the blanks for missing regiments. The War would properly rather good read and excellent Total Warfare/Chaos Campaign/Warchest Campaign setting for players to dabble in.  Light Cavalry could have easily been on of the Terran March forces since most of them were never named aside from what existing units we knew of that were gifted to SLDF.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1250 on: 13 December 2018, 10:18:24 »
Not a bad theory Wrangler . . . knowing they were on the wrong side of the Civil War and 'given' to the SL to get them out of the FedSuns.  I do not think it would take someone long, if they wanted to, to whip the rumor mill into saying they were being sent on suicide missions to continue the punishment.  Imagine you are a line trooper who followed orders in the Civil War, get effectively exiled for losing, start hearing rumors of other FS units that were on the same side being sent on forlorn hopes and abandoned by the First Prince loving SL command structure, and be told you just got assigned to drop on to a horde of Taurians.  You ask your CO if the rumors are true, they are being sent out to die . . . and get Standard Answer #43.

Honestly, easy to see how one of the Terran March units could have been manipulated into doing exactly what happened.
Colt Ward

Gravedigger

• Freelance Writer
  • Sergeant
« Reply #1251 on: 13 December 2018, 14:36:46 »
  According to the very source that prompted my initial post:  Units that desert generally can’t go home to pick up their cat (much less their families) without getting arrested for said desertion, so they must’ve already been on the ships when the Sterope operation went pear-shaped.  Ergo, either the 237th ‘simply’ brought their dependents along on their ships to spectate as they shot up a Taurian world (which is... bizarre, but not entirely without historical precedent), or their going ‘over the hill’ was premeditated and prepared long before they actually hit Sterope.  (You’d think that bringing their spouses and kids should’ve sent up red flags with anyone who saw them embarking, but then again....)

Unless, of course, no one was there to stop them picking up their dependents since they were the only heavily armed group on the planet.

237th: "Ok ladies and gentleman, load up on the dropships."
Pion Administrator: "You have orders to leave?"
237th: "...Sure"
Pion Administrator can either believe them or not. But let's say he doesn't.
Pion Administrator: "You're deserting! You're under arrest!"
237th: "Tell you what Jimmy, you arrest me and I'll be out of jail in a couple hours after my BattleMech forces blow through whatever hick security you can provide and then I'll make sure my support units strip everything of value out of this city as...'restitution'...for my time you wasted. And then, I make sure Toothless Bill over there comes to where you live, brings you to the spaceport, and I strap you onto the top of our ride to use as a hood ornament. Savvy?"
Pion Administrator: "Everything seems to be in order here sir, you have a fantastic day!"

And that's just one of dozens of ways they could easily have dependents along for the ride out to Tortuga.

skiltao

• Lieutenant
    • SkilTao's Gaming Blog
« Reply #1252 on: 13 December 2018, 14:38:38 »
Thanks, Trace. The FedSuns only signed on to the Star League a few years before the war with the Periphery and I thought that might have been late enough they were already preparing for that war. Evidently not.

Since those soldiers were put back to work, perhaps the Cavalry designation is for these "erstaz regiments" of re-enlisted troops (Star League Sourcebook p. 43)? That would explain how they're still Davion instead of SLDF, why they weren't attached to BULL RUN, and why they were in a system they might not have known was colonized.

Units that desert generally can’t go home to pick up their cat (much less their families) without getting arrested for said desertion, so they must’ve already been on the ships when the Sterope operation went pear-shaped. 

But if the raid fails - as it did - a unit which hasn't deserted would return to base. So: they return to base, collect whatever dependents they'd acquired during their decade there, and then desert. Yes? ???

Edit: plus what Gravedigger said.
« Last Edit: 13 December 2018, 14:40:58 by skiltao »
Blog: currently working on BattleMech manufacturing rates. (Faction Intros project will resume eventually.)
History of BattleTech: Handy chart for returning players. (last updated end of 2012)

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1253 on: 13 December 2018, 17:51:54 »
I'd certainly buy a sourcebook for the Davion Civil War...

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
« Reply #1254 on: 13 December 2018, 18:05:12 »
I'd certainly buy a sourcebook for the Davion Civil War...
Don't we have a couple?
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1255 on: 13 December 2018, 18:08:02 »
Which ones?  ???

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1256 on: 13 December 2018, 18:08:50 »
Historical: Civil Wars of House Davion
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1257 on: 13 December 2018, 18:16:11 »
I clearly missed that one... Consider it added to my list of things to buy when I have disposable cash again...

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #1258 on: 13 December 2018, 18:22:00 »
I clearly missed that one... Consider it added to my list of things to buy when I have disposable cash again...

It's not a book that came out, it was my (slightly less than serious) hypothetical title for a catch-all title.  If you have one book with all the Davion civil wars in it, then you don't need to ask which one does the book cover.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #1259 on: 13 December 2018, 18:26:07 »
Oh, sorry... the Red Battlemaster lowers my sarcasm detection rate...  xp

Register