Author Topic: Aurigan Reach  (Read 42788 times)

Luciora

• Major
Re: Aurigan Reach
« Reply #240 on: 27 November 2018, 11:07:33 »
Look up how to mod the .json files.  Less compatibility issues than external mods and you get more control.  Only issue is art based with weapons not sized or placed as you want, but it still works.

'This time, you can use any weapons you want without pesky hardpoint types in the way!'

#salty #alltheguns

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #241 on: 27 November 2018, 11:08:41 »
Same. I wanted that woman and his lackey Alexander blasted to bits.

Wildonion

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm just a few onions short of a patch.
« Reply #242 on: 27 November 2018, 11:24:20 »
This was a welcome addition to my day! Can’t wait until March.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #243 on: 27 November 2018, 11:39:27 »
 ;D  Nice one Catalyst & HBS! I am so buying this.

(Love the cover concept - it warms this grognard's heart to see another proper House Book.  ::)  )
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #244 on: 27 November 2018, 12:25:02 »
Actually I want to fight for the Espinosas. The Directorate was the Reach's only hope!

Anybody that sabotages my 'Mech and then brags about beating me in a fight is someone I want to grind into the dirt, not work for.   :P

Dulahan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #245 on: 27 November 2018, 13:13:18 »
Anybody that sabotages my 'Mech and then brags about beating me in a fight is someone I want to grind into the dirt, not work for.   :P

This.  Always blows my mind that anyone would want to work for those arrogant war criminals.

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
« Reply #246 on: 27 November 2018, 13:15:11 »
I can overlook that, I am a professional merc after all.   ;)

Actually I want to fight for the Espinosas. The Directorate was the Reach's only hope!
Me too, I just told myself that my character would just leave her high and dry after my contract is finished. 
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #247 on: 27 November 2018, 13:28:50 »
One other interesting thing is . . . this will be written with a 3025 tech level in mind- Kamea gave away her SL Atlas and if the HBS PC mercs are not returning to fight for her, then the SL Highlander is gone too.

Though I would not mind a RS for that Atlas II from the game . . .
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #248 on: 27 November 2018, 16:26:13 »
Just gonna pop this here:

https://www.rd.com/culture/countries-that-dont-exist-anymore/

Biggest shock to me, is as a Canadian I was aware that Newfoundland was not part of the country until Joey Smallwood brought it into Canada in 1949, but never thought of Newfoundland as being a Country
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #249 on: 27 November 2018, 17:13:35 »
One other interesting thing is . . . this will be written with a 3025 tech level in mind- Kamea gave away her SL Atlas and if the HBS PC mercs are not returning to fight for her, then the SL Highlander is gone too.

i would assume that any SL units that did remain had been downgraded to their succession wars variants. like the HGN-733 highlander with the AC10.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #250 on: 27 November 2018, 17:47:32 »
Well, they were the only two that were specifically to have survived from escaping the SL cache (if the PDF includes that)- other two might have or might not, depended on your skills.  Anything that fell ended up with the Taurians . . . and destroyed when you took out the renegade.

But you are also right, they will only be SL-equipped as long as the weapons survive.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #251 on: 27 November 2018, 17:52:34 »
Oooh! If the players can interact with Brinton in the game, then turn around and interact with the rest of the Aurigan worlds, that could solve the question of what's going on with them in the current storyline.  ;D

(and you thought them simply failing as a state after the game was over was cruel. Suddenly, bioweapons!  :D)
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #252 on: 27 November 2018, 18:02:29 »
;D  Nice one Catalyst & HBS! I am so buying this.

(Love the cover concept - it warms this grognard's heart to see another proper House Book.  ::)  )

Fully agree with Frabby, great cross-pollination and just love the old-school 3025-style House Book cover  :thumbsup:
Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #253 on: 27 November 2018, 18:16:07 »
Having not played the game I know nothing of these guys so it'll at least be something "brand new" to look into
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #254 on: 27 November 2018, 19:06:38 »
Interested in this book.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Icerose20

• Sergeant
« Reply #255 on: 27 November 2018, 23:49:46 »
Is it March yet?

Please let there be better art then back in the 80's. 

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #256 on: 27 November 2018, 23:55:59 »
Is it March yet?

Please let there be better art then back in the 80's.

Heh it wouldn't be a proper homage without the crazy 80's art.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #257 on: 28 November 2018, 00:24:39 »

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Dulahan

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #258 on: 29 November 2018, 23:51:02 »
I'm really looking forward to what the 'real' story is behind what happened.  How epic the conflict 'really' was and such.  Because yeah, in the game we're going a bit crazy at times with the tech and even the mechs being used.  In reality, probably not many assault mechs in the entire Aurigan Reach, yet in the game we probably kill more over the course of our play than existed in the entire Periphery!  Not to mention no Merc company ever probably fights as many engagements as we do in the game.

So yeah, really excited to have it added and see what the real story is, so to say.  Hoping there'll be a nice writeup of the actual war too. 

Icerose20

• Sergeant
« Reply #259 on: 30 November 2018, 00:04:07 »
Its possible, still, the 3025 source books about the economics of the Inner Sphere had more WTF moments then the German Reich AI in Hearts of Iron 4. 

and 3 years later, the Fourth Succession War happened, which in 3 years had as many star systems changes alliegence tags as had happened in the last 250 years.

:o

4th Succession war showed that the Battletech was not civilization teetering on the edge of collapse.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #260 on: 30 November 2018, 00:39:57 »
4th Succession war showed that the Battletech was not civilization teetering on the edge of collapse.
Would you mind expanding on that? Thanks :)
4th happens when the Helm memory core is already around, right?

Greatclub

• Captain
« Reply #261 on: 30 November 2018, 01:03:23 »
Would you mind expanding on that? Thanks :)
4th happens when the Helm memory core is already around, right?

Nope. Helm core was recovered about the time the war started, and only made it to NAIS in the final couple months. GDL's actions on helm might have caused some political problems between Janos and his duke, but contributed nothing else to SW4

SW4 happened because there was enough of a gap for the FedCom nations to get their training, TO&E and logistics in order, then hammer their weakened opposition.

Pre-SW4 things had been presented as circling the drain. After SW4 there was a sense that the plug was in place and the sink could start filling again.

Edit - in book one of the warrior trilogy, the duel between Arden's Victor and the Drak Awesome was presented as a clash of champions, a legend in the making. Everyone else stopped fighting and watched them clash.

Book three, the Death Commandos die like mooks, and we've seen regiments die as a passing mention.
« Last Edit: 30 November 2018, 05:09:41 by Greatclub »

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #262 on: 30 November 2018, 02:22:06 »
out of setting, FASA realized that if they wanted to have a successful game line, they had to make the setting less static. they'd already retconned their 1st and 2nd edition fluff to add in functioning factories, even some new innovations. a full scale war, especially one presented via novels, was their next step. and it would set the trend for the game, really.

in setting, the 3rd succession war was a long and very low key affair. most smaller scale raids and invasions, only a few really major flashpoints. really the only reason they can label it as a succession war and not just "peacetime fighting" is because borders did change and you did see some concentrated efforts to actually achieve strategic goals. but the fact everyone was being careful not to escalate is part of the reason it lasted for a hundred and fifty years (when the 1st and 2nd war lasted only 35 years each.)

personally i suspect the big game changer for the inner sphere, the thing that broke the malaise and made them more bold in their strategy, was the Wolf's Dragoons. their arrival in 3005 shook up the balance of power, in that they were a multi-regiment unit that operated as a multi-regiment force, always operating with multiple regiments of mechs, armor, and infantry, rather than being divided up and spread out over many worlds in smaller detachments, the way most IS regular military and mercenary forces were during the 3rd succession war. further the Dragoons were highly trained in tactics that take advantage of their size and nature (thanks to their having been trained to SLDF standards), something few in the inner sphere at the time had much experience in. the successor states had to redevelop real strategic thinking to make use of the dragoons effectively, and to try and counter others use of them. the fact the Dragoon's shifted employers after each contract would have helped there.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #263 on: 30 November 2018, 11:40:17 »
Note that a couple of completely new 'Mech designs were being fielded just before the discovery of the Helm core: the Wolfhound and Hatchetman being among them.  The recovery was already and clearly happening by 3030, and then the Helm memory core boosted that recovery up several notches, but not in time for the 4th Succession War.

Unlike the 1st-2nd SW, the 3rd was not a war of annihilation, where planets were being depopulated and/or their industries reduced to rubble.  The worlds behind the more-or-less stable borders had over a century to patch together everything that could be gotten working again, and even started building entirely new facilities, although at a lower level of technology than before.  That newly built (or repaired) production capacity was used for a covert buildup, which was carefully hoarded by several of the Great Houses to provide a modest material surplus to launch the 4th SW.  Even with that surplus, it required commandeering and redirecting a significant portion of the civilian Jumpships to conduct the invasion (at great cost to the civilian economy), so the territorial gains were still fairly modest by 1st and 2nd SW standards.

Basically, full-scale warfare on the scale of the 1-2 SW would only be possible with a massive buildup of space assets, which are still fairly rare in the later stages of the game's timeline before the sudden jump forward to cover the 32nd Century.  Given the massive cargo capacity of most of the SL warships, it does appear that they were the primary jump transport for invasions, with the bulk of the forces being moved from them to the planet's surface by dropships or small craft.  The dropships would have been used to secure the initial landing zone, then made repeated trips back and forth to the orbiting warships for the bulk of the invasion force and some initial supplies.  More intensive supply runs would have followed, eventually using more conventional cargo Dropships to and from the already well-secured landing areas.  Without those warships carrying large invading armies, the Successor realms are forced to fall back on the relatively tiny dropships as the primary military transports, and use civilian jumpships to get them to the system.  That seriously restricts any grand invasion plans to mere raiding and the occasional change of hands of one or two planets in an "all out" attempt.

While I agree that something beyond a never-ending series of minor raids was needed to put some life into the overall timeline, doing so without the corresponding increase in the REAL bottleneck (interstellar transportation) seems misplaced or simply unrealistic.  With transportation, you can have warfare with conventional vehicles, 'Mechs, and infantry on a grand scale.  Without it, fielding a mere handful of 'Mechs against an entire planet's defenses can't reasonably be explained except as quick "smash and grab" raiding.  The universe needs either a MASSIVE increase in the number of jumpships and a new set of dropships designed for the new realities of 31st Century warfare (NOT for the way the SL did it), or else the reintroduction of large warships as interstellar invasion transports.

As it stands, the entire universe concept has neither embraced the "Mad Max" style of scrounge-tech with limited resources, nor fully transformed that universe into one which has finally come to realize that they CAN'T fight warfare with SL strategies unless they have the SL tools to do so.

The Periphery has been the most interesting part of the setting for me, in part because the IS itself is so clearly and inherently dysfunctional, with that unresolved dichotomy between the original static setting and the far more actively rebuilding retcon throwing the proverbial wrench into everything.  In the Periphery, that scrounge-tech style is still the norm, but with the rebuilding economic strength of the IS providing some occasional spare parts from outside the primary scope of the setting.  That works for places like the Aurigan Reach, other than the sheer numbers of 'Mechs present in the video game for such an economic backwater area.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #264 on: 30 November 2018, 11:49:55 »
A little bummed that the new mechs are buried in the flashpoint code, but understandable.  Makes it harder to extract for other purposes.  Would have been nice to try and recreate or make new alternate versions like a missile-hatchetman, or a light ballistic crab. 

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #265 on: 30 November 2018, 23:29:49 »
A little bummed that the new mechs are buried in the flashpoint code, but understandable.  Makes it harder to extract for other purposes.  Would have been nice to try and recreate or make new alternate versions like a missile-hatchetman, or a light ballistic crab.
so you cant edit them? that's odd because several custom variants of original game 'mechs have their own accessible files. Why hide the add-ons?
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #266 on: 30 November 2018, 23:47:23 »
Presumably so that they can't be pirated for owners of the vanilla game if they don't buy flashpoint.  Makes sense to me.

so you cant edit them? that's odd because several custom variants of original game 'mechs have their own accessible files. Why hide the add-ons?

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #267 on: 01 December 2018, 04:26:05 »
I don't think it would honestly be that good-the Atlas 'II' AS7-D-HT runs incredibly hot, as in 'make a Hellstar with two engine hits and covered in inferno gel alpha strike' hot. Hell, the first thing most players I knew did to it was remove those thrice-damned ERLLs.

This.  Always blows my mind that anyone would want to work for those arrogant war criminals.
Much less one that talks like a cartoon villain. God, I love that dialogue option.

I'm not saying I necessarily disagree with the Director's goals, I strongly disagree with his 'ends justify the means' thought process. A kangaroo court's too good for him. Unleashing a bioweapon in a false-flag op, while certainly not the worst thing a state has done in Battletech (Necromo, anyone?), as well as running a massive Gulag on the hellhole that is Weldry, all under the pretense of 'Strengthening the Reach'? Yeah, I'd rather run the bastard off the towbar on the front of a Locust and go for an extremely long run.
« Last Edit: 01 December 2018, 04:30:59 by Caedis Animus »

Nastyogre

• Warrant Officer
  • Sons of the Suns, Defend your homes!
« Reply #268 on: 01 December 2018, 14:16:19 »
I don't think it would honestly be that good-the Atlas 'II' AS7-D-HT runs incredibly hot, as in 'make a Hellstar with two engine hits and covered in inferno gel alpha strike' hot. Hell, the first thing most players I knew did to it was remove those thrice-damned ERLLs.
Much less one that talks like a cartoon villain. God, I love that dialogue option.

I'm not saying I necessarily disagree with the Director's goals, I strongly disagree with his 'ends justify the means' thought process. A kangaroo court's too good for him. Unleashing a bioweapon in a false-flag op, while certainly not the worst thing a state has done in Battletech (Necromo, anyone?), as well as running a massive Gulag on the hellhole that is Weldry, all under the pretense of 'Strengthening the Reach'? Yeah, I'd rather run the bastard off the towbar on the front of a Locust and go for an extremely long run.

I always like to RP a bit in these games. Sometimes it's fun to be the white hat. I can never bring myself to be the full blown black hat. I just wouldn't murder civilians, use bioweapons etc. I had an ironman campaign lost due to stupid where I played "The Scowlers" hard bit. Lots of "If you didn't want to get killed you should have run away or surrendered." Nasty mercs with a rather low bar for acceptable behavior but one that is not violated for any reason. Violation of those rules is usually punishable by only one thing, death.

I don't fault the directorate for coming into being. Civil wars happen. One dictator toppling another doesn't bother me. From the first fighting they bombed civilians in Coromodir. Yeah, the writing was on the wall then. I just wish I didn't get so tired of the game and want to play it.

Not to threadjack but problems with the skills and mechanics (Called shots) and the stupidly short LOS distance just bothers me sooo much. I've tried Roguetech but I can't get it to work and I am not about to commit hours and hours to working out a mod. The static nature of the game bothers me too. No running and shooting? I probably should put the time into getting Roguetech to work. I'd have to make sure none of the Star League or clan tech is in there. I see people all the time playing and putting that in and I just scratch my head and say "How is it fun to play with Pulse lasers when your opponents have "Quackdraws"

Back to the Reach. I do hope Catalyst pulls them into a book, even if it's just to eliminate them. Just fills things out better. I'd like to see the deep periphery filled out more in the SW era too.

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
« Reply #269 on: 01 December 2018, 16:20:04 »
I just never use called shots. They make the game way less interesting for me.