Author Topic: Fan Finance 2.0 Questions  (Read 194075 times)

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
Re: Fan Finance 2.0 Questions
« Reply #150 on: 13 April 2015, 05:38:06 »
You guys talk about being "forced" to fund as if you're not getting anything else out of the deal.  You are getting a full credit to the IWM store for your donation.  Your entire investment is compensated, no matter what ends up getting funded.

Full Credit or not, if I'm "Forced" to PAY to Vote, but something I don't like and will NEVER buy wins, then I'm going to be mad as HELL.  So NO, MY "Investement" will NOT be "Compensated".  Am I going to take a chance on that happening?  No.

I will help fund anything I vote for, but not something I DON'T vote for.  As I've said though, I'll buy some things that other people Vote for, IF I like the looks of them.  Like mike19k, I plan on buying the new APCs, even though I neither voted for them OR helped fund them.  (I don't know if he did either one or not though.)  I know I'm WeiRd because I like to spend MY money on what I want.   ::)
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #151 on: 13 April 2015, 05:43:25 »
I think it's time to return this thread to questions about how the Fan Finance 2.0 program actually is being run. Not other proposed possible scenarios. The program will continue to run that it already has with one or two minor tweaks for the next suggestion / poll threads.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
« Reply #152 on: 13 April 2015, 08:14:20 »
Do you already know if you want to stick to 'Mechs for the second one or will you open it up. Still very much interested in funding BAs :)
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #153 on: 13 April 2015, 08:57:06 »
Do you already know if you want to stick to 'Mechs for the second one or will you open it up. Still very much interested in funding BAs :)

There will be one or two additional unit types added for the next suggestion / poll.

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #154 on: 13 April 2015, 09:45:41 »
There will be one or two additional unit types added for the next suggestion / poll.

Looking forward to it :)

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #155 on: 13 April 2015, 12:59:48 »

Sweet action!
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm bringin' macho back!
    • Tidewater Battletech Club
« Reply #156 on: 13 April 2015, 13:00:07 »

[applause] [applause] [applause]
Hoping for some BA and Aerotech.
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #157 on: 14 April 2015, 09:41:30 »
Just to toss this out there, but what are people's thoughts on deliberately-typed infantry models? for example; 3085 Sup gives us a bunch of new infantry platoons. Does anyone care to have all these represented as accurately as may be done at that scale by minis?
[applause] [applause] [applause]
Hoping for some BA and Aerotech.

oh yes please. I need the rest of the fighters.

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #158 on: 14 April 2015, 10:05:34 »
A bunch of 3085 infantry have already been done.

qc mech3

• Lieutenant
  • Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays. C'est l'hiver.
« Reply #159 on: 14 April 2015, 17:00:14 »
True and they are excellent casts (at least the ones I own  ^-^). We still need some Liao and Steiner ones to really represent all Houses.

The mine dropper from House Liao and maybe the Steiner HALO trooper come to mind here...  ;) 

Jal Phoenix

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Once, we had gods.
« Reply #160 on: 14 April 2015, 20:13:09 »
Don't forget the mercenary scout infantry.  I don't have enough pewter hippy chicks the size of my little fingernail.   ^-^

beachhead1985

• Major
    • Kilroy's Wall
« Reply #161 on: 14 April 2015, 20:22:58 »
True and they are excellent casts (at least the ones I own  ^-^). We still need some Liao and Steiner ones to really represent all Houses.

The mine dropper from House Liao and maybe the Steiner HALO trooper come to mind here...  ;)

And wasn't that just the strangest, most complicated way to lay mines you ever saw?

But I guess a guy with a shovel, modeled with an empty wooden box wouldn't be quite as exciting.

A.E. Housman

Bartholomew bartholomew

• Sergeant
« Reply #162 on: 14 April 2015, 20:41:59 »
Don't forget the mercenary scout infantry.  I don't have enough pewter hippy chicks the size of my little fingernail.   ^-^

I would fund those. A beach party battalion!  :D

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #163 on: 15 April 2015, 03:52:01 »
Just to toss this out there, but what are people's thoughts on deliberately-typed infantry models? for example; 3085 Sup gives us a bunch of new infantry platoons. Does anyone care to have all these represented as accurately as may be done at that scale by minis?

Speaking as someone that's more of a Collector than anything (I've painted TWO minis since '86, and rarely play anymore), I see infantry minis as a waste of time and effort on the sculptor's part.   :-\  Aside from the ones that are Extremely Obviously Different, I don't see the point in having "Liao Infantry" versus "Kurita Infantry" versus "Davion Infantry".  Things like the AA Jump, Branth (aka "Aerial Beast"), Recon, and VTOL Infantry all look different enough.  All the others just look like a little guy with a helmet and a gun.   :-\  With something less than 1/4th of an inch tall, how much detail can you put on one of them anyway?  If they were all done in 28mm, then more detail could be added, and that would better set them apart from "Standard" grunts.  Granted, I still wouldn't buy them, but I wouldn't look at them as a "drain" on a sculptor's time like I feel the current tiny ones would be.  If they get around to doing infantry, I Hope it's after all the 'Mechs and vees (air and ground) have been done.

Something MORE Important to consider though, is How Well they Sell.  Or, How Poorly.   :-\  The Kurita infantry (AR20-823) are Archived for a reason, though the Davion Infantry (20-824) are Obviously still selling well enough to keep them out of the Archives.  All the others are Online Only, so who knows if they would be Archived otherwise?  EVERY BT mini sells for at least a little while, but would the "new" infantry minis sell well enough to even justify being produced to begin with?   ???

On a Personal Note, I can't help but look at the "Beast Mounted Infantry" in TRO: 3085 and think of the old Ralph Bakshi movie Wizards!   :D  Being a Pern Lover, I'm Heavily considering buying a Branth (on ground), and asking a friend to paint it to look like Ruth for me!   :D
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #164 on: 15 April 2015, 09:04:20 »
Speaking as someone that's more of a Collector than anything (I've painted TWO minis since '86, and rarely play anymore), I see infantry minis as a waste of time and effort on the sculptor's part.   :-\  Aside from the ones that are Extremely Obviously Different, I don't see the point in having "Liao Infantry" versus "Kurita Infantry" versus "Davion Infantry".  Things like the AA Jump, Branth (aka "Aerial Beast"), Recon, and VTOL Infantry all look different enough.  All the others just look like a little guy with a helmet and a gun.   :-\  With something less than 1/4th of an inch tall, how much detail can you put on one of them anyway?  If they were all done in 28mm, then more detail could be added, and that would better set them apart from "Standard" grunts.  Granted, I still wouldn't buy them, but I wouldn't look at them as a "drain" on a sculptor's time like I feel the current tiny ones would be.  If they get around to doing infantry, I Hope it's after all the 'Mechs and vees (air and ground) have been done.

Something MORE Important to consider though, is How Well they Sell.  Or, How Poorly.   :-\  The Kurita infantry (AR20-823) are Archived for a reason, though the Davion Infantry (20-824) are Obviously still selling well enough to keep them out of the Archives.  All the others are Online Only, so who knows if they would be Archived otherwise?  EVERY BT mini sells for at least a little while, but would the "new" infantry minis sell well enough to even justify being produced to begin with?   ???

On a Personal Note, I can't help but look at the "Beast Mounted Infantry" in TRO: 3085 and think of the old Ralph Bakshi movie Wizards!   :D  Being a Pern Lover, I'm Heavily considering buying a Branth (on ground), and asking a friend to paint it to look like Ruth for me!   :D

I can not say how they are selling, but I am working on my 7th Crucis Lancers RCT right now, I have the mechs for the most part and next is my infantry. Right now I only have about one regiment of Infantry, so having more options would be nice. Most of them are going to be PBI, with just a platoon here and there of BA.

Baron RedSkull

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm bringin' macho back!
    • Tidewater Battletech Club
« Reply #165 on: 15 April 2015, 12:05:19 »
Speaking as someone that's more of a Collector than anything (I've painted TWO minis since '86, and rarely play anymore), I see infantry minis as a waste of time and effort on the sculptor's part.   :-\

If at the end of the day, B3 is getting paid and the people get a sculpt they want, then how is that a waste of B3's time and effort?

EVERY BT mini sells for at least a little while, but would the "new" infantry minis sell well enough to even justify being produced to begin with?   ???

If enough people express interest in them, then why not? It's difficult to predict exactly how well a product will do until you start selling it.
Why not Zoidberg?

(V){;,,,;}(V)

GRUD

• Captain
« Reply #166 on: 15 April 2015, 12:47:03 »
If at the end of the day, B3 is getting paid and the people get a sculpt they want, then how is that a waste of B3's time and effort?

If you'd bothered to read my Entire post, you'd see why I think that.  I feel his time could be Better spent on sculpting 'Mechs or vees, rather than Niche minis.

If enough people express interest in them, then why not? It's difficult to predict exactly how well a product will do until you start selling it.

I'm sure someone at IWM could tell us how well (or not) infantry minis sell.  Again, with them being a Niche mini, I doubt they sell NEARLY as well as 'Mechs or even ground vehicles.

Why is it that, even AFTER I Clearly explain my reasons about a topic on this site, someone comes along and asks me to explain them Again?   [metalhealth] [metalhealth]

mike19k

• Lieutenant
« Reply #167 on: 15 April 2015, 14:48:30 »
If you'd bothered to read my Entire post, you'd see why I think that.  I feel his time could be Better spent on sculpting 'Mechs or vees, rather than Niche minis.

I'm sure someone at IWM could tell us how well (or not) infantry minis sell.  Again, with them being a Niche mini, I doubt they sell NEARLY as well as 'Mechs or even ground vehicles.

Why is it that, even AFTER I Clearly explain my reasons about a topic on this site, someone comes along and asks me to explain them Again?   [metalhealth] [metalhealth]
Because reading is hard, it is just so easy to jump to conclusion's that I want it to be. ;D

Bartholomew bartholomew

• Sergeant
« Reply #168 on: 15 April 2015, 17:03:36 »
Every battletech miniature is a niche mini. The height of popularity for this game was the late eighties. Maybe people will come around to it again. Hopefully.

I am sure the new boxed set helped.

Fan funding is for what the fans want. If they thought they would sell well them they would fund and make these mini's themselves. After all they are doing around a dozen new ones this year out of their own pocket.

Trace Coburn

• Starfighter Analyst
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
  • За родину и свободу!
« Reply #169 on: 17 April 2015, 05:52:30 »
  [copper]
  Ahem.  Ladies and gentlemen, some tempers in this thread have been getting a little overheated in the last couple of days.  If everyone here would kindly step back from their keyboards and take a deep breath, the Moderators would appreciate it.  Rules #1 and #3 exist for sound reasons, and the Mods don’t enjoy handing Warnings — or bans — to people anymore than those people enjoy getting them.
  [copper]

txMaddog

• Sergeant
« Reply #170 on: 18 April 2015, 12:05:05 »
What date does the Second Quarter Suggestion post start on??  Want to make sure I don't miss it. :)
Fan Fund the SC-V-1 "Vampyr" ScavengerMech!!  Why should the combat pilots have all the fun??

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #171 on: 18 April 2015, 19:08:03 »
What date does the Second Quarter Suggestion post start on??  Want to make sure I don't miss it. :)

Will happen sometime after all of the Minis that won from first poll get funded and sculpted.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #172 on: 19 April 2015, 15:23:43 »
Is that a change or did I misunderstand that badly? Regardless of that answer, can we drop the quarterly potion from the name? It will be confusing. Just call it round 1, 2, etc.

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #173 on: 19 April 2015, 15:25:19 »
Is that a change or did I misunderstand that badly? Regardless of that answer, can we drop the quarterly potion from the name? It will be confusing. Just call it round 1, 2, etc.

Yeah was thinking of doing that. Will do the edits later tonight.

The Wayfarer

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #174 on: 20 April 2015, 17:30:36 »
Sir,

How long will a funding thread stay open once donations start?  Is there an expiration date on the ability to fund a sculpt before moving onto the next unit on the list?  Or does the thread stay open indefinitely?

For instance, mech "NAME HERE" is up for funding.  After three weeks only $125 has been solicited for its sculpt.  When do we call it quits and move onto the next sculpt?

Thanks.

Mike
Revelations 6:8. And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #175 on: 20 April 2015, 18:29:15 »
Sir,

How long will a funding thread stay open once donations start?  Is there an expiration date on the ability to fund a sculpt before moving onto the next unit on the list?  Or does the thread stay open indefinitely?

For instance, mech "NAME HERE" is up for funding.  After three weeks only $125 has been solicited for its sculpt.  When do we call it quits and move onto the next sculpt?

Thanks.

Mike

Nothing is set in stone, since it has not happened yet we have not set a timeframe. If it does come up then it will depend on amount raised and how much time has passed.

B-3

• Iron Wind Metals
  • Master Sergeant
    • B-3 Designs
« Reply #176 on: 20 April 2015, 19:05:02 »
Since we are working with a list compiled with input from Fans who are interested in funding these, I doubt we will encounter an instance of failure to fund.
"Don't start nothin' won't be nothin' " - J

Azakael

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Outreach - Until the Sword Breaks
« Reply #177 on: 21 April 2015, 14:10:38 »
Retailer "Q"
- Are fan-funded 'Mechs (or even vehicles) going to be Online Store Exclusive, or will there be a chance that these might sneak into standard distribution?

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
« Reply #178 on: 21 April 2015, 14:26:54 »
Online Exclusives. But I know Shops who carry those, so it is possible to get them in a store.
You would need to contact IWM directly, though, as far as I understand how that works.

speck

• IWM Web Support
  • Captain
« Reply #179 on: 21 April 2015, 14:54:13 »
Retailer "Q"
- Are fan-funded 'Mechs (or even vehicles) going to be Online Store Exclusive, or will there be a chance that these might sneak into standard distribution?

Most are Online Exclusive but some could be distro releases.