Author Topic: Propper Plurals?  (Read 1497 times)

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
Propper Plurals?
« on: 08 October 2015, 21:43:25 »
Occasionally when reading a BT product, I will come across a reference to multiple examples of a mech, but without the expected plural. It is as if the name was a whole new word with different rules.

Example; I expect the plural of Rifleman to be Riflemen, but I typically see it written as Riflemans. Why is this?

Another example would be the Flashman.

A more unique example would be the Atlas. Is it Atlases or Atlai?

Thank you for your time
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
Re: Propper Plurals?
« Reply #1 on: 09 October 2015, 00:51:49 »
Because these are proper names, not regular nouns, they are not pluralized as you would the noun by itself. So man ~ men but Rifleman ~ Riflemans, etc.

The proper plural of Atlas is Atlases. even without the above rule, it would never, ever be Atlai.

beachhead1985

• Major
  • 1st SOG; SLDF. "McKenna's Marauders"
    • Kilroy's Wall
Re: Propper Plurals?
« Reply #2 on: 09 October 2015, 11:55:20 »
Wow, that's neat. I'd wondered about this.

I wonder now if there is a BT pronunciation guide anywhere? This universe has to be the king of that odd reading phenomena of "Years of reading that word and I never imagined it sounded that way."
Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries

These, in the day when heaven was falling,      Their shoulders held the sky suspended;
The hour when earth's foundations fled,         They stood, and earth's foundations stay;
Followed their mercenary calling,               What God abandoned, these defended,
And took their wages, and are dead.             And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

Register