Author Topic: Looking for info/specs on the Sovremenny class  (Read 1968 times)

aidan_kell

• Private
Looking for info/specs on the Sovremenny class
« on: 29 May 2017, 21:32:30 »
I came across the specs for this ship, which I'm almost certain is a fan-made, on this forum. I can't find it now, but I was wondering if anyone still has the goods as it were?
"I could be bound in a nutshell and count myself master of infinite space were it not for terrible dreams."

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Re: Looking for info/specs on the Sovremenny class
« Reply #1 on: 29 May 2017, 21:38:42 »
As it so happens, I do.

Type: Sovremenyy class Attack Cruiser
Introduction: 2760
In Class: 6

Mass: 830,000
Sail Integrity: 5
Thrust: 5/8
Fuel: 2500 tons
Structural Integrity: 80
Armor: 1300 tons of Lamellor Ferro Carbide armor (220+8 foreward,216+8 all others)

Docking Collars: 4
Fighters: 18
Small Craft: 8
Crew: 243
Lifeboats: 0
Escape Pods: 20
Grav Decks: 2, 55 and 90 meter
Cargo: 29,269 tons

Bay 1: Fighters (18) 4 door
Bay 2: Small Craft (8) 2 doors
Bay 3: Cargo, 2 doors

Weapons:
Heatsinks: 2235(4470)

Nose
2 Killer Whale Tubes

Fore Left / Fore Right
3 Heavy Naval PPCs
1 Killer Whale Tube

Left Broadside / Right Broadside
3 Naval Autocannon 30s
2 Heavy Naval PPCs

Aft Left / Aft Right
3 Naval Autocannon 30s
2 Heavy Naval PPCs
1 Killer Whale Tube

Ammunition Load:
120 killer whales
1200 rounds Naval Autocannon Ammunition

Overview

Though General Rebecca Fredasa's New Arms order is best known for producing the Sovetskii Soyuz, the intent of the program was in fact far more reaching, with virtually every arm of the SLDF fleet due for modernization. Though the Periphery Uprising and the Amaris Coup would rip through the League before much of this work could be completed, a series of new ships none the less made it into service.

Among these was a new high speed cruiser intended to replace the aging and scarce Kimagure, giving the SLDF a fast attack capability its fleet thusfar sorely lacked. The first of this new Sovremenyy class would enter service in 2760.

Capabilities:

When one gets a look at a Sovremenyy, it is not hard to imagine why the class earned the nickname Doppleganger. Blue Nose Clipperships used the basic design of their proven Sovetskii Soyuz as their template, and at first glance the two ships are almost indistinguishable. Only the slightly enlarged aft section and the twin forward PPC mounts give the Sovremenyy away.

However these similarities hide a world of differences in capabilities reflecting the two different design principles that went into the ships. The Sovetskii Soyuz was a stopgap measure, a design that compromized practically everything in the name of being produced as quickly as possible. The Sovremenyy compromises nothing in the name of expediency. The designers sought to squeeze every ounce of combat potential they could in the modified hull, and they succeded in a grand style. Though the ship's main battery of fourteen Kreuss XX naval particle cannons and twelve Scarborough autocannons do not give the Sovremenyy the apocalyptic firepower of such heavily armed ships as the Black Lion, they still give her a terrifying punch, while the ship's heavy armor belt outclassed even some battleships thanks to the use of advanced Lamellor Ferro Carbide composites.

Anything the Sovremenyy couldn't outfight, it could almost certainly outrun thanks to its powerful propulsion system, allowing the ship to produce a full four Gs of thrust at maximum output. About the only thing missing from the design is a lithium fusion battery, and even this was only out of necessity. With so much else crammed in the hull, designers simply could not find the room for a LF battery without reducing the ship's already tiny cargo capacity even further.

Deployment:

Pending final approval for large scale deployment, Bluenose Clipperships produced Sovremenyys at a rather leisurly pace, launching six ships in the years leading up to the Amaris Coup. The last one produced, the Oktyabrskava Revolutsiva, was just completed on Chistmas Eve 2766, and was siezed intact by Stephan Amaris's forces. Unknown to everyone but Amaris's top officers, the ship remained over Terra as Amaris's last defense and possibly his escape craft until just a month before the final assault by Kerensky, when it and two battalions of Rim Worlds troops disapeared. It is believed the ship and troops fled to the periphery to avoid destruction by the vengeful SLDF.

Of the remaining five ships, the Sovremenyy, Nesokrushimyy, and Udaloy were lost during the campaign to retake the Terran Hegemony. The Osmotritelnyy joined the exodus and was eventually destroyed during the pentagon civil war. The Provornyy was crippled during the campaign against Amaris and abandoned, only to be salvaged by House Marik later on. Unable to fully repair the sophisticated warship, Marik forces found it necessary to relegate her to rear area defense. This did not spare the Provornyy from destruction during the first succession war, however.

Variants:

By the time of the Periphery Uprising, SLDF officials had been well convinced of the Sovremenyy's viability and had expressed their intention of procuring as many as three dozen additional ships. However, citing the shortages of the expensive Lamellor Ferro Carbide armor, the Admiralty requested that all additional ships after the Oktyabrskava Revolutsiva utilize standard Ferro Carbide plating in its place. The Amaris Coup began before work could begin on these ships.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

marauder648

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs
« Reply #2 on: 30 May 2017, 01:57:00 »
Lovely design, a battlecruiser version of the Soyuz :)
Ghost Bears: Cute and cuddly. Until you remember its a BLOODY BEAR!

Project Zhukov Fan AU TRO's and PDFs - https://thezhukovau.wordpress.com/

aidan_kell

• Private
« Reply #3 on: 31 May 2017, 20:15:23 »
Liam's Ghost, you're a scholar and a gentleman! Though, shouldn't the Oktyabrskava Revolutsiva have been the 7th officially unfinished hull? I couldn't help but think of another fictional vessel of a similar name. Maybe it's that there were only 6 of them made.
« Last Edit: 04 June 2017, 12:53:04 by aidan_kell »
"I could be bound in a nutshell and count myself master of infinite space were it not for terrible dreams."