Author Topic: Wob in 3095?? (McEvedy's Folly incident)  (Read 7027 times)

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
Re: Wob in 3095?? (McEvedy's Folly incident)
« Reply #30 on: 08 February 2019, 16:33:08 »
My money is that most of the Word retreated to there Hidden Worlds to rebuild while a few broke away and were lost. The plan being to rebuild on the Hidden Worlds so they could eventually have themselves a second Jihad. But with only two Hidden Worlds and very few assets left the WoB probably has had a very tough time rebuilding with any speed. There warships probably don't even have docks to maintain there warships either.
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

haesslich

• Lieutenant
« Reply #31 on: 09 February 2019, 15:19:48 »
This gave me a good laugh, thank you.  ;D

Tell me Ace Combat 7 didn't make you think Wobblies after the big reveal.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #32 on: 09 February 2019, 17:05:52 »
This gave me a good laugh, thank you.  ;D
Hell, Word Of Belka even makes the anagram work. 
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #33 on: 09 February 2019, 17:09:36 »
My money is that most of the Word retreated to there Hidden Worlds to rebuild while a few broke away and were lost. The plan being to rebuild on the Hidden Worlds so they could eventually have themselves a second Jihad. But with only two Hidden Worlds and very few assets left the WoB probably has had a very tough time rebuilding with any speed. There warships probably don't even have docks to maintain there warships either.
the Erinyes went missing at the end of the Jihad as well. and we never knew exactly how many Newgrange's the WOB managed to find and salvage.

Tell me Ace Combat 7 didn't make you think Wobblies after the big reveal.

(i haven't had a chance to play that yet. though since they were the baddies in AC5 and ACZero, and contributed to the baddies in AC6..)

« Last Edit: 09 February 2019, 17:12:01 by glitterboy2098 »

RifleMech

• Major
« Reply #34 on: 09 February 2019, 23:06:02 »
I think most are on their remaining hidden worlds with the rest scattered about. I don't think they joined the Home World Clans. Invaded for mutual distruction, maybe, but not jpined. They might have joined the Genecast though and/or that group of mermaids in the periphery but I think they're hiding and preparing the way for the Tetatae invasion so they can emerge from hiding as the Saviors of the Inner Sphere.

haesslich

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: 10 February 2019, 15:28:04 »
.. Wrath of Belka fits better, given all the story events in previous games.

« Last Edit: 10 February 2019, 15:29:36 by haesslich »

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 11 February 2019, 10:36:25 »
the omni pods have omnipods
When did that become a thing?  Or is my sarcasm detector on the fritz again?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #37 on: 11 February 2019, 11:04:32 »
When did that become a thing?  Or is my sarcasm detector on the fritz again?

i was joking about the absurdity of a clans + wobbie tech merger

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #38 on: 13 February 2019, 13:50:37 »
What about surviving leaders?  Who was not captured or confirmed dead (as in a body to display) when their known concentrations were eliminated?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: 13 February 2019, 16:19:01 »
i was joking about the absurdity of a clans + wobbie tech merger
Other than the Interface Cockpit, which the Clans already have, and maybe Purifier armor tech, what would the Wobbies have the Clans would even want?

C3i:  HARD PASS!

Light Gauss:  Why bother?

VSPL:  meh.

Vehicular Stealth armor:  Are you trying to get me Reaved, queaff?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #40 on: 13 February 2019, 16:26:18 »
but omni-podded omni pods. they interest you, aff?

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: 13 February 2019, 16:52:27 »
but omni-podded omni pods. they interest you, aff?
Does it come in black?

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 13 February 2019, 18:07:02 »
My take on the WOB, is that when it fell apart most of the missing Shadow Divisions of elite troops and naval assets fell back to "hidden" worlds to regroup and defend them.
Those high enough who could still pass, as Comstar returned to fold as "deep sleeper" agents.
Low level people were left to "hang" and be that final distraction to the rest escaping.

But in the end the factions that made up WOB, endup being it's finally downside, as they turned on each other during the "regrouping".  Kinda like how Venus and the Shunners died.  Yep there are still remains out there of them, but I am not expecting to see them pulling a SLDF and returning as "New Clans"
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #43 on: 13 February 2019, 20:11:20 »
I expect to find out WOB remnants were in some way behind Grey Monday.  Other than that, I think we have heard the last of the wobblies.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #44 on: 13 February 2019, 20:19:08 »
What about surviving leaders?  Who was not captured or confirmed dead (as in a body to display) when their known concentrations were eliminated?

So no opinions on this?  What kind of forum is this that no one has a opinion??
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #45 on: 13 February 2019, 20:58:33 »
So no opinions on this?  What kind of forum is this that no one has a opinion??

Berith canonically escaped, and was the most senior member of the manei domni to do so. But he also had the DNI implants and triple core processor. Unless he consented to have them removed he wasn't likely to have survived into the next century. Avitue I think was also unaccounted for.

We don't have much else to go on regarding the leadership.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #46 on: 13 February 2019, 21:07:41 »
Well, we know Berith escaped. Avitue most likely did as well.

Honestly, I'm not really sure who you can point to that's named and dead with a body to display except for the Master, because his death is from an omniscient view point, and maybe Naamah.

Everyone else...I'm not really sure on.

Even Apollyon could've simply been broadcasting to the Regulan forces via a live HPG link, and with the Super HPGs, he could've been anywhere within 1000 L-Y.

So...yeah...

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: 13 February 2019, 22:45:25 »
 Thing is, if you were in a Shadow Division, you were hard core.  These weren't the "Sunday Blakists."  Most of these folks aren't going to stand down quietly. Same goes for ROM (or whatever spooky name  WoB had for intel spooks) folks are spies, except they are going to keep fighting by standing down, going quiet, and sending regular reports....

But the rest of the Shadow Divs?  It almost feels like a plot hole that there weren't years of mopping up action against Level II's and Level III's of former Shadow Divisions. Even without the VDNI, most of them are going to be dead or retired by the 3150s.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #48 on: 13 February 2019, 23:07:51 »
Yeah the time for a blakiat resurgence by the units gone to ground is well passed, even by 3100. The only option for post blackout is sibko style warrior school on the hidden world, raised from birth. A 20 year old recruit in 3075 is going to be 75 in 3150. There are plenty of old people running mechs but I wouldn’t build an army around them

BloodRose

• Sergeant
« Reply #49 on: 13 February 2019, 23:44:44 »
What if the Blakeists have been remarshalling their strength? Sure, the old guard is largely gone by now but they could easily have large populations on these hidden worlds, populations that have been steadily militarising and preparing for the return, trained by the veterans who fought the IS and Clans in the first Jihad.
They had the assets and capacity to do this, as well as the time and forethought. A resurgent WOB is quite easy to imagine when you consider that they could easily have entire planetary populations to call on, not to mention potentially stolen Iron Womb technology to mass-produce genetically engineered soldiers. They proved they had the insight to build hidden caches, strongpoints and even factories and industrial bases, why not something larger that is still hidden?
>MOC - 3rd Canopian Fusiliers         >Capellan Confederation - Holdfast Guard
>Lyrians - 5th Donegal Guard          >Free Worlds League - 1st Oriente Hussars
>Federated Suns - 2nd NAIS           >Word of Blake/Comstar - undecided unit
>Draconis Combine - 1st Genyosha  >Clan Jade Falcon - Delta Galaxy
>Escorpion Imperio - Seeker Cluster >Pirates - Harlocks Marauders
>Mercs - Roses Heavy Lancers          >Mercs - Reinhold's Raiders
>Mercs/specops - Mausers Shreckenkorps >Mercs - Idol Squadron

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #50 on: 13 February 2019, 23:53:48 »
Well, the OP posted 3095 which is why I asked who might lead after the official conclusion of the Jihad.

Thought Avitue died on New Avalon, man I have to go back and re-read that ending.
Colt Ward

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #51 on: 14 February 2019, 00:00:02 »
this has been going on far too long to do silly things like read the thread title

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #52 on: 14 February 2019, 05:46:34 »
So something is bothering me, the fact that WoB has an active warship with support of their latest and greatest fighters to attack an unnamed planet a hop away from McEvedy's Folly. If memory serves correct the Jihad had died in 3081 roughly with the defeat of WoB on terra? Now I know they still would have had some assets, but surely a late model carrier with next gen fighters? Seems a bit rich. Now admittedly its classed as canon rumour, but is there any more info of still active Wob assets post jihad?

I am more interested in the motivation for the attack. Why was the WOB trying to prevent info about the Wolverines form being uncovered? Are they adversaries, secret origin, or some tech or info they do not want the IS to have. And how would any of that change anything?

After finally coming around to accepting all the shadow divisions coming out of thin air, a still active warship is not much of a stretch for me.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: 14 February 2019, 08:14:47 »
I am more interested in the motivation for the attack. Why was the WOB trying to prevent info about the Wolverines form being uncovered? Are they adversaries, secret origin, or some tech or info they do not want the IS to have. And how would any of that change anything?

After finally coming around to accepting all the shadow divisions coming out of thin air, a still active warship is not much of a stretch for me.
Why would the WoB care if info about the Wolverines came out?  They are about the most hated people since the Usurper.  Everyone thinks they're dead.  Can your reputation get worse? And if so, who cares?

Idle question, what book was this in?  And is there any indication the WoB was able to make off with anything/anyone?  ie. Scientists and Techs. That snakes back to the joking between Sartis and I. I question how useful WoB reprogramming can be on someone you want to work as a scientist.  How do you convince someone that there are five lights, and still trust they can still calculate armor thickness properly?  You can always use cruder methods, but that just leaves you checking for sabotage.  Pick your poison, but if WoB was able to grab a good chunk of Clan tech base and take it back to a hidden world?  Have them spend 50 years taking all the new IS weapons and rebuilding them to Clan standards

8 ton/3 crit light gauss  8)

Clan VSPs with 20-30% more damage and half again the range  :'(

Other than the Interface Cockpit, which the Clans already have, and maybe Purifier armor tech, what would the Wobbies have the Clans would even want?

C3i:  HARD PASS!

Light Gauss:  Why bother?

VSPL:  meh.

Vehicular Stealth armor:  Are you trying to get me Reaved, queaff?
« Last Edit: 14 February 2019, 10:55:17 by grimlock1 »

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #54 on: 14 February 2019, 08:38:07 »
Clan Wolverine is certainly not the most hated faction since the Usurper. There may be a couple Clans that have traditions in place about this, but the core issue is still mostly opaque if your not following their storyline.

I just don't think there are very many people in the Inner Sphere that bang their thumb with a hammer somewhere in the deeps of a major faction and curse "those damned Wolverines" the way that the hardcore Clan Wolverine dramatists might like to imagine.

Frankly, at face value, Clan Wolverine appear to be professional victims of Battletech, but that might be a somewhat unfair characterization from the Dev chairs. There's just this perpetually unresolved set of issues about their historical role that regularly drifts into AU territory.

Maybe this is just one of those larger themes of the BTU that I'm not seeing clearly through the fog. It's not a terrible thing, for instance, for the otherwise sensible seeming Ghost Bears, for instance, to carry an unreasonable Straw Man, like Clan Wolverine, into the Dark Age and beyond.
« Last Edit: 14 February 2019, 09:11:17 by Easy »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #55 on: 14 February 2019, 08:58:58 »
Have you read betrayal of ideals? I thought it pretty clearly spelled out the historical stigma against clan wolverine

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #56 on: 14 February 2019, 09:16:45 »
I have not, and I'm not trying to criticize the trope. I like a bit of mystery as much as the next reader. Whenever I try to place this faction, however, I feel like I'm left begging the question as to why we haven't seen an official appearance yet, in the face of the endless rumor-mongering.

Am I wrong, or is it time for the Clan Wolverine to show it's face and defend it's honor, or be like the Star League, which will at least show the flag when it's turn comes up.

I might be looking at it from the perspective of anticipating ilClan, which at least has the promise of putting stuff like this on the map.
« Last Edit: 14 February 2019, 09:18:37 by Easy »

Robroy

• Lieutenant
  • Not named, but not gone. Maybe.
« Reply #57 on: 14 February 2019, 09:41:26 »
Opps. Did not mean to start a Wolverine discussion.

As for the warship, the clans have SL ships hundreds of years old, and in battletech there was many war machines just as old.  Warship and ASFs still operating, what less then 20 years after the jihad, not that hard.

But yeah, it is going to need a lot of support. Again, the hidden cache thing is popular in this universe to.

Have you read betrayal of ideals? I thought it pretty clearly spelled out the historical stigma against clan wolverine

A false history written by those who betrayed Clan Wolverine.

;D could not help myself, check my sig.

Warfare is the greatest affair of state, the basis of life and death, the Way (Tao) to survival or extinction. It must be thoroughly pondered and analyzed"-Sun Tzu

"Subjugating the enemy's army without fighting is the true pinnacle of excellence"-Sun Tzu

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #58 on: 14 February 2019, 10:04:09 »
Opps. Did not mean to start a Wolverine discussion.

As for the warship, the clans have SL ships hundreds of years old, and in battletech there was many war machines just as old.  Warship and ASFs still operating, what less then 20 years after the jihad, not that hard.

It's tangential. McEvedy's Folly certainly evokes the fate of Clan Wolverine, but the possibility of a secret WoB/Wolverine confrontation is probably ground too promising to dismiss out of hand, as it could be possible to grab a bull by the horns and let a WoB remnant be the foil for a canon reappearance of the Wolverines, or what may have become. That would take a commitment, though, as I am trying to solicit, somewhat, to put them on the ilClan map, somewhere.

How long must these toys remain in the attic? An encounter between the WoB and Clan Wolverine, leaving one of them a 'player' in 3150+ might be just the thing, but we won't know as long as they remain in the 'possibly closeted' category. If that is the case, it must be a challenge to try and break either one of these factions out of fairy-tale land.
« Last Edit: 14 February 2019, 10:05:53 by Easy »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #59 on: 14 February 2019, 10:08:36 »
So . . . you really do need to read Betrayal of Ideals since it answers some of your questions.

Anybody ever have a list of what/where the last sighting of disappeared units where?  Anyone else think disappeared mercs become a new sort of 'protectorate militia'?
Colt Ward