Author Topic: BattleTech: Clan Invasion Kickstarter Discussion, Vol. 4, The Madness Begins  (Read 178405 times)

Wolf72

• Captain
@massey:

You could use the ComStar mechs - which are really Star League mechs - as Clan second line mechs.

Totally! Highlander, Black Knight are perfect for that.
"We're caught in the moon's gravitational pull, what do we do?!"

CI KS #1357; Merc KS #9798

"We're sending a squad up."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
What surprises me is that this boardgame kickstarter brought almost as much money as the HBS computer game kickstarter (2.58 vs. 2.78 million) - and that the average pledge for the board game KS is four times as high as for the computer game, seeing how the computer game KS had four times the number of backers.
It's also a pretty good bet there's significant overlap between the two communities...

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • https://amzn.to/3Dm3bvj
    • My Author Website
What surprises me is that this boardgame kickstarter brought almost as much money as the HBS computer game kickstarter (2.58 vs. 2.78 million) - and that the average pledge for the board game KS is four times as high as for the computer game, seeing how the computer game KS had four times the number of backers.

I'm not surprised at all. The board game community is smaller, but willing to invest more money into a single game. Just look at the prices for some of the miniature heavy board games. I recently spent over 160 bucks on Imperial Assault (it was in a sale and would have been more than 300 regularly). Board game fans are fully willing to commit that much money into a single game.
Computer game fans are not. Also, there wasn't much to gain from HBS for that kind of pledge. You got the game and some stuff, but the sheer volume of products here is something else entirely.
German novelist and part time Battletech writer.

HPG Station - German Battletech News

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

Sharpnel

• Colonel
I think the reason that the average per bidder was higher for CGL than HBS is that the swag was better for CGLs campaign. MOst of which i very tactile, not digital/virtual.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
People tend to use video game KS as glorified pre-order. And given that video game prices effectively cap out around 50 to 70 dollars (depending on platform and location a bit), most video game backers aren't interested in putting in more money,

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
People tend to use video game KS as glorified pre-order. And given that video game prices effectively cap out around 50 to 70 dollars (depending on platform and location a bit), most video game backers aren't interested in putting in more money,

HBS had some swag, though.
Catalyst had more swag. By about two truck loads.

"if they didn't want to be stomped to death by a psychotic gang of battlemechs, they shouldn't have fallen down" - Liam's Ghost

BlCharger

• Master Sergeant
Congratulations to CGL!  :thumbsup:

That was an amazing and fun month to experience. Now I have plenty of time to slowly collect new painting supplies and work on my painting skills or should I say lack of them.
"The Ghost Bears are one big, happy family. I am the crazy, fun loving aunt." - Star Captain Peri Rand.
"You can't write history without including mankind's incessant need to kill one another." - Dr. Jessica Kimball (Hopefully soon to be my canon character)

hf22

• Master Sergeant

Somewhat counter-intuitively, it seems tabletop games are much bigger in general on Kickstarter than video games, and increasingly so. There are some figures online saying tabletop games as a category raised $165m in 2018 on Kickstarter (up nearly 20% year-on-year), whereas video games raised on $15.8m (down 8% year-on-year)#.

Video games are of course much bigger business than tabletop games, but minis on Kickstarter seem to be in a sweet spot at the moment.

# These figures are presumably not unrelated to HBS selling out to Paradox recently, rather than seeking to fund their next game via Kickstarter.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
I think Empyrus' idea of video gamers treating Kickstarter as a glorified pre-order might explain that.  The bigger video game companies can do their own pre-order hype.

hf22

• Master Sergeant
I think Empyrus' idea of video gamers treating Kickstarter as a glorified pre-order might explain that.  The bigger video game companies can do their own pre-order hype.

Yes, it would contribute.

The other factor may be the higher risks for backers in a video game context. Even for a successful project, the delivery time can be a lot longer, and the chance you won't like even a fully completed game is much higher.

Teulisch

• Private
lets see... free urbie, free legends mech... yup, we get good swag with this KS.

now we just need a custom urbie TRO. because thats a lotta urbies.

pheonixstorm

• Major
Rifle Cannon Urbie, RAC Urbie, Arrow IV Urbie, LRM Urbie... Urbie kabobs, Stir Fry Urbie...  :drool:

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Blazer Cannon Urbie…  ^-^

massey

• Captain
@massey:

You could use the ComStar mechs - which are really Star League mechs - as Clan second line mechs.

That's true.  I went through and made a list of which boxes I was going to need.  Like I want at least 2 of this kind of mech, so I'll need 2 boxes of this Star, etc.  I went through 10 boxes pretty quickly, and Star Colonel gives me 12.  That's enough to pick the two Comstar boxes.  I may have to do that.

BlCharger

• Master Sergeant
Rifle Cannon Urbie, RAC Urbie, Arrow IV Urbie, LRM Urbie... Urbie kabobs, Stir Fry Urbie...  :drool:

Urbie the Flamethrower! The kids will love that one.
"The Ghost Bears are one big, happy family. I am the crazy, fun loving aunt." - Star Captain Peri Rand.
"You can't write history without including mankind's incessant need to kill one another." - Dr. Jessica Kimball (Hopefully soon to be my canon character)

Sharpnel

• Colonel
or my crazy ICE engine and AC/2 equipped Junkyard dog
« Last Edit: 18 August 2019, 10:22:25 by Sharpnel »
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
I SAID STOP BEING SO EXCITED PEOPLE!!!!!!!!
 ;D
 :D
 :thumbsup:
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
The only thing I worry about for Catalyst is proper allocation of resources now that the Kickstarter is done. I know at GenCon they mention wanting to do a kickstarter for the flying ship game next year but with amount of money they just made for this Kickstarter it’s time to focus on battletech and other projects can wait a few years. This project could put Catalyst “back on the map” and propel them to new heights undreamed of if they stay focused! Great Job Everybody  :D
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase

Bombast Laser Urbie or bust.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
And Artillery Cannons!  The BA and fast movers LOVE those...  >:D

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website
The only thing I worry about for Catalyst is proper allocation of resources now that the Kickstarter is done. I know at GenCon they mention wanting to do a kickstarter for the flying ship game next year but with amount of money they just made for this Kickstarter it’s time to focus on battletech and other projects can wait a few years. This project could put Catalyst “back on the map” and propel them to new heights undreamed of if they stay focused! Great Job Everybody  :D

The won't do Leviathans u til Wave 1 of the Clan KS has been delivered. They want to show that they can do it, before the engage in something new.

General308

• Captain
We made it with 2 hours to spare. And then spending died down noticeably. People were really throwing money at it to reach the 2.5 Million goal.

No more stretch goals after 2.5 is why it died down.   Still we added a lot of new backers after that point

Charlie 6

• Captain
Congratulations CGL and good luck.  The hard part begins now.

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
The won't do Leviathans u til Wave 1 of the Clan KS has been delivered. They want to show that they can do it, before the engage in something new.
Does wave 1 include all the lance/star/level II packs?
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

Charlie 6

• Captain
If I recall from the AMA from last night the first wave would only be the IS and Clan Command packs and Clan Battle Star.  The Clan Fire Star might make it and I didn't hear a mention of the IS Battle Lance.

DarkSpade

• Major
Damn, 10 pages since last night.   :o  Not even going to try and catch up.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
If I recall from the AMA from last night the first wave would only be the IS and Clan Command packs and Clan Battle Star.  The Clan Fire Star might make it and I didn't hear a mention of the IS Battle Lance.

That would match up largely with what had been shown as prototypes before the KS started

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

DarkISI

• Praedonum Dominus
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
    • My Author Website

The first three to five unlocked Lance packs, the Urbie and probably the Unique pack. Everything else will be heavy.

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
  • Just here for a little mayhem.
Yes, it could put them back on the map. But they absolutely need to diversify, too. Just BT won't do it for them for more than a year.
liber et infractus

Ursus Maior

• Warrant Officer
  • Just here for a little mayhem.
No, just the box set and two to four packs.
liber et infractus

Register