Author Topic: The Wolves and the Dragons (AU)  (Read 99115 times)

cawest

• Captain
Re: The Wolves and the Dragons (AU)
« Reply #90 on: 16 January 2013, 14:18:51 »
that is going to be bad soooo bad.... i mean who is going to do more damage the Widow or the Wolf?  soooo can not wait for more

gladius

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #91 on: 16 January 2013, 16:00:13 »
Heh ... knew 'Tasha was too damned stubborn and contrary to die this early. O0

mighty midget

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #92 on: 16 January 2013, 18:29:12 »
Very well played, I was wondering where the Widows had gone.  This story is fantastic, please keep it going.
Slavish adherance to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #93 on: 16 January 2013, 22:30:18 »
Repost.

=====================================
BOOK TWO

Cyclops Incorporated Warehouses, New London, Skye
Isle of Skye, Federation of Skye
3 July 3028

Dechan Fraser lit a cigarette, sending a signal to those keeping an eye on him. To his fellow employees of Cyclops Incorporated, Dechan was Smitts, a talented LoaderMech driver from the Federated Suns. He smoked because they smoked, and they took their fifteen minutes in groups because the local union said to, the nightshift deserved the same breaks after all.

He told them a crude joke, one he heard from another Captain of the Wolf's Dragoons, and they laughed. They were good people; crude sometimes, but hardworking.

"I tell ya, Smitts," Ogden, another LoaderMech driver said, "if these malfing Royals don't get off Skye soon me and you are gonna find plenty of work driving a different kind of 'Mech."

The group laughed and one shook his head. "Yeah, AgroMechs!" Good-natured punches were thrown around. "Them Royals been doing nothing but beat feet for a month. Tearing up our crops, from what I hear, running the hell away from the Wolves and the Dragons."

Dechan joined in with the cursing of the 1st Royal Guards. He didn't have to act much.

"Don't even know why the Puppies," the Skye locals' term for the Wolf's Dragoons," even bothered to stay. They cut them Royals down to a third their size, and they hound 'em every day."

"I heard blasts from my apartment," Dechan volunteered. He lived on the north side of New London, a low-rent, high-crime area. "But it coulda been those stupid kids again."

"Nah," Ogden said, "heard it was the Snakes. Finally caught up with their pets, hah!"

The group chuckled at that, each pulling from their own cigarettes. Dechan took a pull then blew the smoke upwards. He saw shadowed forms running on the rooftops, silent as the night.

The plan called for witnesses. It was a last ditch effort from Colonel Wolf himself. The original plan was to break as many "non-Skye" 'Mech units as possible then lift, a harder-hitting raid that the Wolf's Dragoons excelled at. They didn't expect the 1st Royal Guards to have expanded into an almost AFFS-style formation. They still lacked the regiments that would've turned them into an RCT, but they acted like one. If the Skye planetary militia had been willing, their operation here would have been a swift failure.

As it was, it was more than a month overdue. The Black Widows' head-hunting mission was to signal the start of their final push.

Colonel Wolf chose to stay, sending the unit's DropShips into orbit to form a secure comm-network. Casualties were mounting, and only old Iron Man's foresight in sending along more supplies with the original task force had allowed them to stay this long.

Dechan knew that the reason the DropShips went into orbit was to interdict any ships that tried to get off the planet. He was still searching for her, and her company.

The blast came as an utter surprise to Dechan, knocking him flat on the ground as a fireball rose in the distance. Security personnel ran out, weapons bared only to be cut down from the roofs.

Disoriented, Dechan fought off one of his co-worker's attempts to pull him to his feet. Remembering the plan, he pointed and yelled, "LOKI!" before allowing himself to be dragged away.

There were rumours, unsubstantiated of course, that Cyclops Inc. was in Duke Lestrade's pocket. That they, and other manufacturers had been supplying warmachines for a private army. Dechan had been working the night and graveyard shifts to cover the extra shifts at the plant, and the materiel was going somewhere.

The suspicions of guilt made the lie believable in the heat of the moment. Employees scattered, security personnel took cover, and the agents blasted away. A transport came, unloading more black-clad people, who began hopping into waiting Drillson Hover Tanks. A lance, a company, and then two companies eventually came online.

When the heavy machine guns started firing the overwhelmed security, armed with a slug-thrower and poorly-paid courage, ran.

Dechan hid behind his LoaderMech and clambered up when the shooting finally stopped. He cranked the LoaderMech to its top speed of 32 kph, which was more than sufficient in the warehouses, and stopped in front of a ferro-crete warehouse. No one he worked with knew what was inside, only that it stored stuff from the New Earth Trading Corporation, Cyclops Incorporated's sometime business partner, sometimes rival.

The doors couldn't withstand the 'Mech's strength for long, and Dechan tore it off and cast it aside.

Black-clad figures swarmed around him. Dechan was half-convinced that they were Loki operatives, their weapons, their mannerisms, even the audible words had a germanic tilt to it. He knew it was all for show, he was working with Draconis Elite Strike Teams 5, 7, and 13.

Slowly, figures stumbled out of the dusty hole. His searchlights blinded them, but the eight, nine, ten figures stood unafraid. Almost defiant.

A redheaded figure, manacled and gagged stumbled out as the tenth. She looked fiercely at everyone.

Dechan clambered down from the LoaderMech and walked towards her, vibroknife whining-hot in his hand. She stared at him as he cut the manacles free.

"Good to see you again, Captain."

Natasha Kerensky ripped the gag off her mouth. "Dechan, shut the **** up and get us out of here."

« Last Edit: 17 January 2013, 09:06:17 by Marwynn »

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #94 on: 16 January 2013, 22:57:29 »
Somebody has a blood feud coming
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

Arvanna

• Warrant Officer
  • Bayonets foreward Boys...CHARGE!!!!!!
« Reply #95 on: 17 January 2013, 01:13:31 »
All I can say is if I was the one behind that little ambush, soon as I found out Natasha was free I would be eating the business end of my own pistol, better that then what she would do.  >:(

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #96 on: 17 January 2013, 01:46:40 »
Good stuff.

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #97 on: 17 January 2013, 02:03:55 »
Sweet Natasha getting on Dechan's better side. :D
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #98 on: 17 January 2013, 10:33:02 »
Legion of Vega Base, Fedkirk Coast, Lyons
Dieron Military District, Draconis Combine
3 July 3028

Theodore raised the Marauder's left arm and sent a burst of lightning from it. The Magna Hellstar PPCs were one of the few things that got better, not worse, in the centuries since the Star League's fall. It still massed seven tons like nearly all particle cannon, but it was more compact and was still the most durable. He still preferred the long barrel of the Lord's Light, especially since the ionic disturbance the Hellstars caused greater comms interference.

But it really almost looks like I'm hurling lightning, Theodore confessed, and I like that.

The Commando rode the blow on its right shoulder, re-balancing itself quickly as it darted away.

Theodore kept his advance steady at 42 kph. His uncle--a distant relative, really--suggested he kept his advance steady at the helm of the Marauder. Its unique ball-join design allowed it greater flexibility and faster traverse-times for its arms, but that advantage was greatly lost when it ran at its maximum 64 kph. Then, the arms focused on steadying, not tracking.

He triggered the right arm's Hellstar, catching the fleeing Commando on the same shoulder and blasting off its arm in a fountain of sparks. It thrashed as the pilot tried to adjust the sudden hit and loss of balance from its missing arm. The smooth motion of the arms made tracking the Light 'Mech, even though it ran away at an optimal angle, easy and almost natural.

Not bad, Theodore appreciated the pilot's skill in keeping the Light 'Mech on its feet and still moving. He waited a few more seconds then triggered his third main weapon.

Missiles spat from the top of the Marauder, arcing up then down at its target. The shorn right torso ripped apart from the inside as the missiles found its wounds. The Light 'Mech pilot ejected as the Commando erupted in spurts of flaming debris.

The Shigunga LRM10 pack replaced the autocannon or heavy laser turret most Marauders carried. The Genyosha's custom variant, tentatively called the MAD-3K, did away with the bothersome ring assembly completely and installed the launcher in the big gun's place.

Heat was still an issue even with additional heatsinks, and Theodore thanked his cousin Constance once again for the cooling suit he wore. The MAD-3K had to alternatively fire its PPCs with the missile system unless the pilot wanted to cook himself and his ammunition. Coupled with Yorinaga's advice, the 'Mech was able to sustain an advance and maintain his heat.

He had advanced for a solid five minutes straight, blasting away at Light 'Mechs coming at him like a traditional DCMS regiment commander would. His lancemates, Mediums and Heavies as well, maintained formation during the advance.

Theodore noted his location and blew out his breath. Yorinaga had asked him to judge the distance a traditional DCMS Light-Heavy force could advance in the same time a Medium-Heavy force could. He placed the traditional force right where he was standing now, and the Medium-Heavy force several minutes behind.

So ka. The great Theodore Kurita, revolutionary warrior still thinks like a hidebound samurai...

The simulation finally ended when a Warhammer speared a Javelin at extreme range with both PPCs.

Two Light lances against one Medium-Heavy lance, and all the Lights are down. Theodore ruminated on that as he disconnected his coolant suit from the cockpit and debarked the simulator pod.

Chief Research Kowalski had sent a regiment's worth of simulation pods, all networked with small, portable computers that had a complete library of scenarios and specifications. The Legion's and Genyosha's techs were fighting for space to use the 'lostech' computers. None of the hangar bays could accommodate the entire regiment's equipment, so he split them up into three battalion bays and spent as much sim-time as the rest of his 'warriors.

He approached Yorinaga Kurita who clambered out of his simulator with both grace and gravity.

Without saying a word, the older Kurita asked a question.

"It's just as you said, Yorinaga-san." When he got no response, Theodore continued. "I still have a bias towards lighter 'Mechs."

"As you should," Yorinaga said. "We are samurai. Light cavalry is our heritage, and centuries of DCMS battle experience has proven this approach."

"And yet... it isn't enough. Our enemies change." Yorinaga's nod propelled Theodore to continue, his pride sore from the sudden role reversal to student again. "The Davions and their Regimental Combat Teams, supposedly three regiments of combat vehicles, five of infantry, and more fighters and artillery. We thought they were trying to rekindle the SLDF formations."

"No," Yorinaga said, clearing a node of computer stations of its techs with a pass of his steely gaze. "It is a response to the Fox's enemies. Both we and the Confederation use Light 'Mechs, the difference is that we choose to do so and the CCAF uses whatever it can."

Theodore stood, contemplating the claim. It was an unpopular theory within the DCMS, but it felt right. "The tanks counter our speed, the infantry can hold ground and ambush Light 'Mechs easily enough that try to outflank. Artillery and aerospace are just superior counters to any attempts at punching through any lines."

"You are thinking like yourself," Yorinaga chastised. "Think otherwise."

Theodore shook his head as Yorinaga turned away. "Traditional DCMS commanders would ignore the tanks and infantry, send his outnumbered forces against them, meeting strength for strength. Outnumbered, outmassed..."

"The Fox has designed weapons that can kill us. He seeks to forge it first against the Confederation--do not ask me why, but I know he does. Then he'll use those weapons against us."

Yorinaga left him with those words, calling up the simulation results on a nearby terminal.

"You did well," Yorinaga said, "for a beginner."

The praise stung.

"I wasn't there to show off my skills--"

"--Clearly--"

"--As you said," Theodore grit his teeth, "I have no experience in an actual Heavy unit."

"So, you still believe using heavier 'Mechs is the solution?"

Theodore borrowed a look from his father, his 'dangerously clever' stance. "No. But it is a solution."

Yorinaga bowed. "My 'warriors will help."

Theodore nodded once in thanks. The Genyosha was heavier than most DCMS regiments, yet it maintained the advantage of mobility. Like the Kell Hounds did. With the salvage from the 12th Star Guards' now-dead 3rd Regiment, and a battalion of Kell Hounds 'Mechs, the 11th Legion of Vega had, for once, a choice in which 'Mechs to field.

And for once, being burdened with more 'warriors than 'Mechs was proving to be a blessing. He had lost many 'warriors against the mercenaries, and the inability to concentrate his force or solidify a line haunted him throughout the battle.

A commotion sent techs scattering, a man dressed in combat armour, came barreling through the techs and analysts studying the machines. Fuhito Tetsuhara ran up and saluted Yorinaga then bowed to Theodore, greatly out of breath.

Theodore smiled, Probably another message from his brother. Still, not bad for a supposedly-recuperating MechWarrior to make the run from the command station to here. He motioned for Fuhito to catch his breath and stole a glance at Yorinaga. The young Tetsuhara lacked the poise and restraint Yorinaga favoured in his Genyosha but he knew for a fact that Fuhito turned him down when he was offered a spot.

Theodore couldn't resist a smugness about that, very few would turn down a transfer from the Legions of Vega. Fewer still would turn a transfer to the elite Genyosha, the Coordinator's own.

Fuhito finally caught his breath. His eyes conveyed the message first.

"Tai-sa, I'm sorry. Your father is dead."

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #99 on: 17 January 2013, 13:17:00 »
The King is dead, long live the king
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #100 on: 17 January 2013, 13:47:40 »
In Orbit, Skye
4 July 3028

Captain William Cameron handed his boss a mug of coffee.

Normally, Colonel Jaime Wolf would have made it himself. But Natasha Kerensky was prowling near the drinks, and he saw how little the two spoke to each other. The 'mug' was really a bulb with a convenient handle, otherwise the hot coffee would float as freely as he did.

They had lifted off on-time, that is, on Colonel Wolf's time. Not the original plan's timetable. He still wanted to clarify with the colonel which of the raids around Skye the Wolf's Dragoons was supposed to take credit for, and which ones to ignore.

Duke Lestrade had said he wanted a firestorm, and Cameron admitted Theodore Kurita had given him one. He counted no less than five Dieron Regulars, plus the Ryuken, plus assorted mercenaries, that rampaged through the Federation of Skye. The Duke wasted no time in launching protests and massive tirades against anyone in charge. For once, people paid attention to the man many called 'the imp'. He made everyone pay attention when he declared the Federation of Skye's independence three days ago.

William put away the reports, they didn't concern the matter at hand.

"The evacuation is proceeding on schedule, all 'ships reporting green from liftoff," he whispered. Cameron found that he'd miss Skye's beauty, something about it resonated with him.

He pulled out a pad and brought up the Ryuken reports, to focus his mind from pointless musings. All five Ryuken regiments had relocated to the Dieron Military District from Galedon, to Dieron itself, with the Dragoons on nearby Nirasaki. They wasted no time upon arriving, launching straight into several raids in Wolf's Dragoons colours.

From what William could pull together from the tight-mouthed DEST, the Ryuken ran roughshod along with the remaining Dragoons across the Draconis March. In their wake, DCMS Regulars had staged their own raids.

The Draconis March was panicking before Alpha and Gamma landed on Skye, William surmised. They ought to be hysterical by now...

He adjusted the weight of his comm unit resting on his shoulder. From it, a continuous stream of information, reports and more reports, buzzed in his ears through his headset.

Cameron bent in closer and whispered to Colonel Wolf's ear. "All 'Mech carriers report ready, colonel."

Jaime nodded once then turned to him and said, out loud, "The word is go."

Cameron flicked through various channels, this time tied into the Overlord's comm arrays and not his Cyclops' Tacticon B-2000. The order was given and the 'Mech carriers rotated and began launching. BattleMechs carefully loaded just hours ago, now fell from orbit ensconced in cocoons that would see them safe to the planet's surface.

"Didn't we just leave this part?" Natasha Kerensky asked loudly.

Colonel Wolf ignored her, his eyes focused on the holomap.

The assets they had left on the surface were still feeding them intel, and the colonel was running simulation after simulation in his mind and on the systems before him.

Cameron stayed close by, and bent down to whisper again. "Captain Fraser reports that two companies of the 1st Royal Guards have passed his lance. Another company passed just west of his location."

Wolf nodded. "The remaining battalion," he said to himself and Cameron fed in the headings into the holomap. Instantly, Wolf switched to one of the hovering plans which mimicked the 1st Royal Guards' approach almost perfectly. Three other plans hovered nearby, linked by webs of light.

He informed the colonel of the progress of the orbital drop, and Wolf updated his plans once more. They were on target, so the colonel was just playing with possibilities.

"You're wondering why." Jaime Wolf said.

"Yessir," William replied without missing a beat. The colonel had a way to read his mind.

"Duke Lestrade," the colonel began, "is a traitor. Sooner or later, he'll turn on--the Combine." William knew he was about to say 'us'. Their exchanged glance confirmed it.

"Is that why the Iron Man sent the DEST ahead?"

"No, they came after us."

Cameron's eyes widened at the news. Everyone assumed they were there to prepare for the attack. Sabotage the militia that never showed up, or some other covert action.

The colonel stole a glance at Natasha and William knew. They were sent as soon as Minobu Tetsuhara had heard of her loss.

"Gamma Regiment is fully deployed, Colonel," William said as he updated the holomap and entered their coordinates. It matched the plan's timing.

Jaime Wolf turned to the map and nodded, then looked at him. "We're not here to raid, William." Wolf punched a button that zoomed out to the live view of the planet below.

"We're here to build a House."

==================================

(I have to stop ending on these one-liners...)

gladius

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #101 on: 17 January 2013, 16:41:01 »
Lord Wolf? Very cool ... or maybe Director-General Kerensky? 8)

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #102 on: 17 January 2013, 22:49:41 »
Heh, well not quite. House Lestrade, actually.

Somebody asked what my sources are:

Heir to the Dragon
Wolves on the Border
The Warrior Trilogy
House Kurita book
House Davion book
House Steiner book
Kell Hounds book
Wolf's Dragoons book
4th Succession War Atlas Vol 1 and 2
War of 3039
Brush Wars
And sarna.net

But primarily the novels.

===========================================

Fort Draconis, Dieron
13 July 3028

Tai-i Michi Noketsuna handed his sensei a cup of tea.

Minobu Tetsuhara, Warlord of the Dieron Military District, took it in an impatient huff. His annoyance at being predictable to young Michi was an affectation. Michi believed Minobu was glad he made it through their "March Campaign" intact. He arrived with the rest of the Wolf's Dragoons and the Ryuken, greatly strengthening the District.

Soon after, he rejoined the tai-shu's staff, deftly pushing aside the politically-appointed lackwits Vasily Cherenkoff had kept around. Along the way he had collected promising individuals that he knew his sensei would need and posted them in a 'temporary advisory council'. The fools were meeting now, by themselves, while the real staff was busy preparing for the day.

The Warlord grunted once more as he sipped the tea, favouring him with a glare.

"You've grown," the old samurai said.

"Hai, in stature and in wisdom, sensei."

"Hmph. Don't call me that."

Michi smiled.

"Well? Have you anything to do other than smile at me?"

"Does the tai-shu wish for his morning report?"

Minobu grunted. "Yes, while it is still morning."

He began with little theatrics, pressing down on the Warlord's desk to bring up a holo-projection. "Colonel Wolf has begun his second attack on Skye, just as planned--"

Minobu waved that away.

"The Eleventh Legion of Vega reports that they are ready to come home." Minobu's eyes glowed with that news and Michi could not restrain a sigh. He had done terrible things to the Federats when he heard the news of Theodore's death, things maybe Minobu would understand. When he learned that the Heir still lived... his shame nearly overpowered his sense of duty.

Later.

"Though Sho-sa Olivares is asking why you're asking for some of their salvage. They'll be pulling back to Ko for now, the conventional regiments replacing them should have made planetfall on Lyons last night."

The Warlord sipped his tea and nodded once.

"Apart from the Dragoons, all the District's forces have returned to their bases or en route. The Fifth Sword of Light's CO, Chu-sa Conti is requesting a meeting. He has, apparently, plans to conquer Quentin. By himself, from the sound of it."

Minobu's head shook once and Michi made a note.

"The last 'warriors have arrived for the 2nd Dieron Regulars. Sho-sho Friedrich Von Galberston sends his thanks for the Ryuken trainers you sent him."

One of the old samurai's eyebrows rose.

"For the Ryuken trainers I asked to vacation on..." he glanced through his notes, "Murchisson. Lovely place, I hear sensei. As long as you don't drink the water."

The old samurai looked pleased. "Tell me what you know of him."

"The sho-sho? Hmm, he graduated from the Sun-Tzu School of Combat but still managed to earn a spot in the 2nd Sword of Light after serving in the 38th Dieron Regulars." The eyebrow had yet to fall, so Michi continued. "His... combined-arms proclivities did not make him popular in the Swords. The Coordi--Takashi Kurita promoted him personally and granted him a new unit, it seems, with the same goals as the Ryuken."

"It is no coincidence the sho-sho was sent here. I asked the Coordinator for him, though I was hoping to use him in the Ryuken." Minobu finished the last of his tea. "No matter. Have the conventional regiments arrived yet?"

Michi flipped through the reports. "They arrived two days ago, in system. The Second Dieron won't be ready anytime soon. Or wouldn't have been, had those vacationers not been helping whipping the unit into shape."

Michi paused. "I'm curious, sensei."

"You often are, you disobedient pup."

"Why five?"

Minobu looked at him incredulously. "Why five? Why not?"

"Why five regiments in total, sensei." Michi stressed the last word.

"Symbolism, naturally. The number five is an integral part of the Combine culture--" Minobu began, mimicking Michi.

I don't sound like that...

"--I don't sound like that." Minobu's face grew stern. "Sensei."

The old samurai stood and faced the window behind him. "It's all that we can permanently support with our transports. The DCA is not impressed with The--the late Theodore's piracy. By long agreement, captured mercantile JumpShips must be returned. Eventually. And his ISF pirates did not capture troop carriers in any case."

"Sensei, we've never returned a single captured JumpShip in hundreds of years."

"I know."

"I've seen the reports, between the Federated Suns and Lyran Commonwealth we must have seized a hundred JumpShips!" Michi did not shy away from proclaiming his own guilt.

"One, two? What matter is that?" Minobu walked around his table. "Ten. Fifty. A hundred. We endanger more than an economy, we endanger human civilization itself. Theodore would not listen to me."

The admission shocked Michi who, while often disobeying Minobu, could never not take his advice.

The silence stretched as the morning grew older. Finally, he spoke. "Tai-shu, what do we do now?"

"We will wait, Michi-kun. We will wait for the storm no one else believes is coming, for the war Theodore has stirred."

« Last Edit: 17 January 2013, 22:54:10 by Marwynn »

gladius

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #103 on: 17 January 2013, 23:17:18 »
Hmm, has young Coordinator Theodore overreached himself? Without the decades of seasoning as his fathers deputy, will he be as impressive ITTL than as in the original?

It'll be fun finding out. :)

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #104 on: 18 January 2013, 01:55:03 »
Building a house, I always thought it was more fun to demolish a house. >:D
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #105 on: 18 January 2013, 04:06:48 »
Thats a lot of ships

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #106 on: 18 January 2013, 14:20:37 »
The premise of this fanfic is fanwishing (namely mine) and watching it all go horribly wrong. And right, in some regards.

What fun is absolute victory anyway?

=========================================

200km South of New Derry, Eire Continent, Galtor III
Draconis March, Federated Suns
14 July 3028

Hirushi Shotugama stood his Panther on a crest overlooking watershed land. Galtor III's pastoral beauty was understated, and the Warlord felt a twinge of guilt at the destruction his troop's passage would wreak on the farmland.

'The harvester feels no remorse for the wheat', Hirushi reminded himself.

The Warlord of the Benjamin District zoomed in on patches of overturned earth, analyzing the evidence of a Ryuken force that raided the planet. The farmers had yet to tend those grounds, to plant their crops anew. Hirushi knew that the Ryuken had seeded their own crops, squads of ISF operatives were left behind on every world they raided.

It was those same ISF operatives that guided them to this spot, these open farmlands. Two mercenary battalions were garrisoned nearby, the heaviest and most cohesive of the purely mercenary garrison force on world.

The land was ideal: low, rolling hills, shallow rivers and clear ground, perfect for the Heavy 'Mechs of his 17th Benjamin Regulars.

They advanced now, in a reverse-wedge of battalions churning fertile dark soil with their metal legs, and Hirushi moved to join the trailing battalion. His PNT-9R was the only Light 'Mech in the unit, though his command lance featured Medium designs and kept pace with his trot.

The 17th Benjamin eschewed the use of vehicles, and his officers plainly refused to incorporate them in their planning. He had been inclined to agree, but the Ryuken's success depended greatly on their use, and he saw a great flaw in their composition.

He did not insist on further combat forces, not wanting to convey distrust at the 17th Benjamin's fighting capabilities. They didn't view themselves as samurai like many other DCMS regiments, displaying an almost Lyran-veneration for Heavy 'Mechs instead. Thunderbolts, Crusaders, Catapults, and Orions formed the bulk of the forces, with a smattering of Warhammers, Marauders, and Grand Dragons and Quickdraws as fast responders. A handful of Assault 'Mechs and a few Mediums rounded out the force.

So, as his personal guard, he recruited a battalion each of Attack VTOLs and hovercraft. They swarmed ahead of the regiment now, chasing away scouts and keeping an eye on their flanks. A company of Manticore Heavy Tanks guarded each flank, with another company following in his command lance's wake.

The lighter craft acted as scouts, something the 17th Benjamin grudgingly agreed was a necessity. Bringing their foes to combat had always been the prime concern for a Heavy force, and the hovercraft and VTOLs could also herd or pin down units. The Manticores were not even questioned, their reputation as combat vehicles made their presence tolerable.

It was the DCMS's heaviest regiment, one of the most stubborn, and Hirushi was grateful for these small concessions. In time, he knew, this will be how the DCMS will fight.

Reports began filtering from his command headquarters. He had routed all communications to a Cyclops BattleMech he didn't have any intention of using, tied into a Daimyo command vehicle. It was an efficient system, only requiring an upgraded comm suite for the PNT-9R he favoured.

He listened now to the updated reports his staff forwarded to him, his map updating with each burst of information. The mercenaries had sortied from their bases, and his light craft were calling out targets and numbers.

The swarm of hovercraft parted in coordinated units, allowing the on-rushing mercenaries to be surrounded. The crews exercised fire-discipline, raking their targets only once before moving on. Above, Hirushi could see the VTOLs rain missiles on still unseen targets while the ones armed with light autocannon began streaming fire across the horizon.

To some of the 17th Benjamin's surprise, he was sure, a handful of the larger VTOLs spat lightning at the mercenaries. The Parti-Kill heavy cannon, the same ones used on the Manticore hurled shells of energy that hit with the same force as any PPC. The first kills went to these heavy attack VTOLs.

Then the mercenary battalions surged, scattering his hovercraft. They had orders to disengage and harry the backfield once the 17th Benjamin was in range. They did so without any urging from him, and Warlord Shotugama made a note to commend the battalion for their discipline.

In the open field, two mercenary battalions faced two of his on a front 500 metres wide. The First and Third, equipped with some of the swifter Heavy 'Mechs in the regiment began angling away from each other. Hirushi saw the Grand Dragons carve armour with particle blasts, edging away at angles as Quickdraws and Lancelots seared the mercenaries with coherent light. A lone Kuritan Champion unleashed a burst of shells, piercing a wounded Trebuchet's chest. The Medium 'Mech crumpled to the ground as its pilot ejected.

He signaled for the two Manticore companies on the flanks to advance ahead of even the swift Heavies who were now blasting at the mercenaries' flanks. Their orders were to ignore the enemy 'Mechs until they were in position.

Hirushi's plan was simple, and as with most combat, range was the factor. They had grounded their DropShips, three of which were ancient Fortress-class DropShips, well within bombardment range. With the VTOLs in the air, the mercenaries would've have been shelled with impunity as they retreated.

But the Kuritan force was still debarking, proving to be a tempting target. Hirushi gambled on it, trusting on the mercenaries' expectations of a standard DCMS Light 'Mech force. If the mercenaries had acted swiftly enough, they could have challenged the debarking Lights and pushed them back to their DropShips instead of risking shelling and pursuit.

They could have held off a Light regiment long enough for reinforcements to arrive.

The VTOLs and hovercraft dealt with whatever scouts they could have rushed to the front, and the headlong charge, the only act Hirushi left the mercenaries, was now being deflected. The Heavy 'Mechs blunted that easily enough, and the risk of being flanked by the heavy cavalry 'Mechs forced the two battalions to turn to their sides.

Warlord Shotugama watched as the First and Third battalions steadily fired and spread left and right as they made room for his battalion, comprised of the heaviest in the regiment. One 17th Benjamin Orion crashed to the ground, its head split by lightning. A Crusader went up in a crashing boom as a full mercenary lance pounded it with fire.

His Panther's Lord's Light PPC ripped an Enforcer's right arm off at the shoulder, leaving the joint sparking in ionic wash and shredded circuits. A flight of missiles gorged on its chest and it fell in smoke and fire. Incredibly, its gyro ripped free of its chest and spun away to land at his Panther's feet.

Hirushi ordered the VTOLs forward, to support the hovercraft who were reporting another two mercenary battalions with vehicular support several minutes away. They sped off, clearing the skies, as Hirushi blasted a Blackjack, bewildered by the onrushing 'Mechs. It took the hit to its chest, but it kept blazing away with its autocannon then its medium lasers. Hirushi didn't see what became of it.

Then, they were amongst the mercenaries.

A hulking Atlas working with a Victor riddled a mercenary Awesome with heavy shells. Chunks of armour exploded off its torso as the shells battered its 80-ton frame, the roar of two Class-20 autocannons enough to overpower the cacophony. Short-ranged missiles flew in from both Assaults, seeking the massive openings the shells blasted apart as spears of light gouged deep. The Awesome pilot ejected as its thermal reading bloomed on Hirushi's scanners.

Two mercenary Hunchbacks thundered forward, one sporting its own massive Class-20 autocannon on its shoulder, the other an array of medium lasers and missile packs. They each took one of the fallen Awesome's side, blasting at the Assault 'Mechs.

Hirushi, ignored by the Mediums, darted to the HBK-4G's rear and targeted the Hunchback's signature weapon. The shells inside the autocannon detonated, hurling the 50-ton 'Mech to the ground. Its engine shut down moments later, saving the pilot's life from the Atlas that had been ready to slam its fist at the fallen 'Mech's head.

The other Hunchback alpha-striked the Victor melting a ton of armour across its chest as missiles fired blindly forward. The Assault 'Mech used its left arm as a shield from the dozen missiles and swiveled its right arm underneath. The blast from the Pontiac 100 shrivelled the stout 'Mech's head-armour before the shells burst through.

Hirushi waved the warrior forward as his comm-panel glowed: the two Manticore companies were in position at the rear to the now faltering mercenaries. He granted them leave to fire even as the third Manticore company brought up their rear and massacred any the 17th Dieron did not outright destroy.

Reports from the light craft sought his attention, and Warlord Shotugama allowed the rush to overtake him. The battle clamoured for longer than he predicted, but not longer than he expected.

The first battle was over in less than two minutes.

Warlord Shotugama arrayed his forces and prepared for the next.

« Last Edit: 18 January 2013, 14:25:51 by Marwynn »

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #107 on: 18 January 2013, 15:03:21 »
man the snakes are going to find the SL facilaty on Galor.... that sucks

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #108 on: 18 January 2013, 15:08:16 »
The Helm Core matters more than the books anyway.  Besides Turning Points: Galtor puts those battles in 3025-ish.  Wonder if that occurred in this time line?  <Shucks, looked up Galtor as Cawest was replying>
« Last Edit: 18 January 2013, 15:12:00 by mikecj »

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #109 on: 18 January 2013, 15:10:22 »
man the snakes are going to find the SL facilaty on Galor.... that sucks

I thought that was found in 3025? Wasn't it part of a ploy to lure DCMS regiments to Galtor?

cawest

• Captain
« Reply #110 on: 18 January 2013, 15:29:03 »
I thought that was found in 3025? Wasn't it part of a ploy to lure DCMS regiments to Galtor?

i use to have the book, but it was a fake site to set an ambush till the local unit found a SL site that was real.... the date of the find i dont remember.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #111 on: 18 January 2013, 15:35:03 »
In any case, this was written with the assumption that it had been found already as part of the incident that lead the 17th Benjamin there in the first place, in 3025. That incident lead to Syovo Yorioshi's removal as Warlord and to Shotugama's rise in his place.

So his first real military action is removing the stain from the 17th Benjamin's honour.

I believe the operation was called "Operation Muffet"...

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #112 on: 18 January 2013, 16:53:32 »
Massingham, Marfik
15 July 3028

Tomoe playfully swatted the young Hohiro Kurita as the child ran past, gleefully chasing a ball that had gotten away from him. Servants trailed behind, bowing in apology for the racket the 5 year-old was making.

She waved them away and sat down at her terminal, one hand on her pregnant bulge.

Technically, she was on extended independent duty, observing something with the locals on Marfik. In reality, she was on maternity leave, waiting to bear her second child, far away from spies and informants.

Tomoe thought back to Theodore's message, coming weeks after the news from Lyons was broadcast. She knew he didn't die, she knew his body well enough to not mistake it for someone else's. But she lived with the lie.

Not for the first time she thought of the repulsive Ben Tourneville. The man who sneered at her and spread rumours that she earned her post on her back or on her knees. The man who undermined her authority. The man who spied on Theodore for the Coordinator.

The man who gave his life so that my husband and the father of my children could live. Tomoe felt her baby kick. Thanks, Ben, you bastard.

Theodore's rush to Dieron then to Steiner space left her behind on Marfik, alone with her son and their few servants. Unaccustomed to being idle, she had reached out to the Order of Five Pillars and expanded the line of communications that threaded the Dieron district to the Federation of Skye and all the way to Xinyang. It was a fragile web, but it passed information away from the eyes of ComStar. Or the ISF's.

While the ISF was efficient in all the military matters of espionage, they were far less adept at grasping civilian matters. Manipulating commerce was beyond their reach, anything beyond stealing or stabbing was beyond their reach as far as Tomoe was concerned. That was one of the reasons why the Order of the Five Pillars stepped into the shadows.

Not all threats to the Combine were that obvious.

The Dieron network was meant to subvert the regimental commanders of the district, to bring them over to Theodore's side and use their forces in meaningful actions. But the useless Cherenkoff was moved to the Pesht district and Minobu Testuhara stepped in. In the months since, the Dieron Regulars had stepped up their raiding, and the Wolf's Dragoons were brought in along with the Warlord's new Ryuken.

And none of the forces were idle. If they weren't crossing the Davion or Steiner borders they had been training. If not training then supervising the creation of defensive fieldworks. Fortifications meant to be manned by 'Mechs and vehicles alike.

Tomoe called up several O5P reports. The Order pays for any Combine citizen in the district willing to test themselves in the Dieron District Gymnasium, and recruitment was up. Very few were qualified to be MechWarriors, and Minobu Tetsuhara had granted leave to use 'Mech simulators for those hopefuls who didn't possess their own BattleMechs. The Warlord then set-up more recruiting stations around the District for those wishing to enlist as infantry or tank crewmen.

They were taken to training camps spread throughout the district. An intense three month course would see them through basic and some advanced training. Then they were shipped to a garrison to further their skills. The first graduates of these ad-hoc camps were long-serving soldiers who had served years with little to no formal training. They passed the standards the Dragoons and the Ryuken set for their own troops.

She had modified the arrangement a bit, depositing would-be MechWarriors on Dieron but giving them relevant pilot training first. At least, to those they screened to have the best natural talent. Her superiors agreed with the change, and expanded it with formal training for the very best. They began screening throughout the Draconis Combine, not from the nobility like most DCMS MechWarriors, but the commoners.

It was impressive. Ordinary Combine citizens had the potential to be the equal of many elite Kuritan nobles. And there were much more of them.

Seventeen, Tomoe read incredulously from the results of their initial training, have the potential to surpass Yorinaga Kurita. Thirty-three may reach his skill level...

The first groups would be ready in four years, she promised Theodore, as they graduated from the Combine's own academies with cleansed backgrounds to pass ISF scrutiny.

Hohiro hollered in the background, sending items crashing. A soft chiding noise sounded, and she knew Zeshin had the young boy well in hand. The old monk told her that Theodore was much the same, out of his mother's sight.

She heard her son pleading. "But Zeshin! I've already my Dictum reading!"

"Oh," the fat monk replied, "well reading never hurt anyone. Come, come!"

Tomoe laughed as silence descended on their home. She was moving on to the next report when someone knocked on her door.

To get that far meant their visitor got past the security perimeter and the door guards. Still, she gripped the Nakjima laser pistol hidden underneath the desk and drew it.

Servants, Order-trained in combat, opened the door after scanning the figure.

She waited heartbeats before she heard her son's scream. Reflexes kicked in, and she dashed to the room with her laser pistol in a two-handed grip. Her son screamed again.

"Ninyu-oji!" Hohiro shouted, grabbing hold of the man's leg. "What did you bring me?" the young child asked, eyes instantly on the package the ISF agent brought.

He looked at Tomoe, pistol drawn, and slowly drew out a toy Banshee 'Mech. He held it out for the boy to take. "It transforms into an aerospace fighter!"

The young boy whooped and ran off, and Tomoe put the pistol down.

"Well, oji-chan," Tomoe said, smirking, "what did you bring me?"

Ninyu Kerai rolled his eyes as he unwrapped the package. He pulled out a box, matte black, and set it on the table.

"I don't suppose," Ninyu asked, "you'd be interested in making cheaper long-distance calls?"

« Last Edit: 20 January 2013, 20:29:53 by Marwynn »

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #113 on: 18 January 2013, 18:46:20 »
A Banshee to ASF?  What a great 'Uncle'.

So how do you say Baby Bell in Japanese?

afterthought53

• Recruit
« Reply #114 on: 18 January 2013, 19:54:16 »
A Black Box, thats it, thats all he brought Tomoe. I'd rather have the Banshee Transformer, it's way cooler.

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #115 on: 18 January 2013, 20:13:00 »
In any case, this was written with the assumption that it had been found already as part of the incident that lead the 17th Benjamin there in the first place, in 3025. That incident lead to Syovo Yorioshi's removal as Warlord and to Shotugama's rise in his place.

So his first real military action is removing the stain from the 17th Benjamin's honour.

I believe the operation was called "Operation Muffet"...

Yes, Galtor was in 3025. If you had read the original Galtor campaign sourcebook. It notes that Hanse got disinterested in the campaign halfway through and went off to fight the Cappies. He then started acting erratically and then focused again on the Combine. So that pins Galtor occuring at the same time as the "The Sword and the Dagger". Which is in 3025.

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #116 on: 19 January 2013, 09:51:27 »
Downtown New Glasgow, Skye
16 July 3028

Dechan Fraser shook Jasper Hickam's hand. The chu-sa was the Ryuken-san's commanding officer, the only female commander, and the only reason why their two forces hadn't devolved to shooting each other more than a month ago.

He had spent plenty of time with her unit before then, and the close relationship between his company and several of the Ryuken-san's recon elements made the 'friendly fire' incident utterly ridiculous.

Dechan fished in his vest for his mini-noteputer, and nodded to a table. Once Skye had declared its independence, supposedly due to LCAF incompetence, the invaders of Skye were welcomed in to their cities. They weren't cheered as liberators, but they weren't being shot at either, which was alright with Dechan.

Almost two weeks since the Wolf's Dragoons "abandoned" the Ryuken to their fate on Skye. The battered Lyran regiments, outmatched by experience and in planning, surrendered rather than be annihilated as two, mostly intact, Dragoons regiments fell on them.

Today was Day Thirteen of the Draconis Combine 'occupation'. Dechan ordered a rootbeer float from the waitress, and a curious Jasper Hickam ordered the same.

"So, Jazz," Dechan used the chu-sa's callsign, "any progress on the salvage?"

"Not much, no." Jasper mixed the odd drink slowly and took a sip from a thick straw. Her eyebrows shot up, then she closed her eyes.

Dechan waited patiently until the Ryuken officer remembered where she was.

"Uhh, that is, no progress yet in identifying the parts from the 24th Lyran Guards." She coughed. "Mostly original parts on the 'Dragoons' 'Mechs that killed Chu-i Williams and his lance, at least the ones that looked like them."

She took another pull. "And, yes, I checked--for the fifth time--the Ryuken-san does not have a Rifleman in its stocks. We were never issued one."

Dechan raised his hands. "I know, I know. I think I have that one solved." He handed her the noteputer.

A still of a black-and-red Rifleman began playing, unleashing streams of shells and light. The clip ended and another one played, this time from a 'Mech's perspective--Jasper could tell--and it showed a Rifleman in Ryuken grey firing.

The few seconds was enough for a lifelong MechWarrior. They were the same machine. Different pilots, but the same Rifleman.

"That," Dechan began as the first clip played again, "Is Gentleman Johnny's ride." The second clip played. "And so is that, in a different colour."

"It fits," she said, her float forgotten. "Most of the forces that attacked us were confirmed kills, by us."

Dechan nodded. "Someone, out there, grabbed the salvage before we could. We both assumed it was the Elsies, but what if it wasn't?"

Jasper leaned back into the cushioned seat. "Dechan-kun, we have Lyran officers swearing up and down that it was their idea."

"Yeah, and none of them can provide specifics. They're Lyran officers. Lyrans."

Jasper studied the flatvid clips again. "So, when you invited me for a night out, you meant to go on the hunt."

Dechan stopped himself from saying Why else would I ask you out? and managed to look sheepish instead.

"So ka." Jasper squared herself, and Dechan noticed how she managed to keep her dark hair so long and silky as it fell on her shoulders. She noticed his attention and held it as she dipped into her vest and pulled out a chip. She plugged it in the noteputer and handed it back to Dechan.

"Fadre Singh. I pulled up what records we had of him, though there was clearly some tampering." The noteputer flickered to a personnel file with a lot of corrupted data. "From what we could tell, he apparently died soon after Warlord Samsonov was replaced by Minobu-sama." She was about to call him 'Iron Man', the Dragoons' nickname for Warlord Dieron, and both their mouths quirked.

"He's here," Dechan confirmed. "Probably in the city now that we've trashed the countryside."

"And what a glorious trashing it was, I'm sure!" Jasper put on a mostly fake angry face. "Being used as bait does not sit well with me, Captain. Oh wait, it's Major Fraser now isn't it? You and the Black Widow both got promotions."

Dechan opened his mouth, but Jasper talked over him. "I'm sure the invitation to that celebration was lot in the mail."

"There was no time for one--"

"--Perfect!"

Jasper took the noteputer from him and stuffed it into the handbag she carried. If he hadn't known she was a Kuritan officer, a deadly MechWarrior, she'd have been just another pretty woman on the streets of New Glasgow.

On an afternoon out with her... boyfriend.

She beckoned and Dechan followed.

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #117 on: 19 January 2013, 10:38:38 »
She shoots, she scores

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #118 on: 19 January 2013, 16:58:05 »
They should just get a hotel room.
Oh, i forgot it's business. ::) O0
Growing up is optional.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #119 on: 20 January 2013, 03:25:24 »
TAG

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Register