Author Topic: AFFS High Command, Suns Transcendent!  (Read 189426 times)

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
Re: AFFS High Command, Suns Transcendent!
« Reply #1440 on: 02 April 2021, 08:32:01 »
Maybe I'll get out there, but with my existence, not likely.  :thumbsup:
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #1441 on: 03 April 2021, 19:51:43 »
Another thread was mentioning a rules question about launching/recovering ASF from grounded dropships.

I'm trying to recall where I have seen it before.

I'm almost certain it was during the 4th SW,  Davion invading Liao front.

I don't know if it was a Novel, a Sourcebook,  or, possibly even a BT-Mag article.

I just remember them flying out of an Overlord, IIRC, that was just barely taller than the buildings in the area & they were having issues gaining altitude fast enough to avoid the buildings and get into the fight.

I'm thinking it was waves of Corsairs doing this.

Does anyone recall the story I'm thinking of?

I don't have access to books right now to go try & find out, but, I'm thinking its either a Warrior Trilogy book, or 1 of the 4th SW Atlas books, or possibly a BT Mag article, & maybe even mentioned in more than 1 of them.

Just curious if anyone can narrow it down & get specifics.

Thanks
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
  • COMING SOON to Amazon!
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #1442 on: 03 April 2021, 22:52:28 »
I think that was one of the Gray Death novels, Operation Excalibur, I think.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #1443 on: 07 April 2021, 17:32:13 »
Someone else thought that too, but I'm swearing this is way older than that, 4th SW era.

I'm thinking it was a BT Mag article but I can't get to them right now to verify, ah the joys of stuff being packed away, lol.

I need a bigger house w/ a "library/gaming" room  :)

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #1444 on: 08 April 2021, 14:46:29 »
Can't be sure on the question, but admit I like what Doc said over any of my
admittedly vague ideas.
"you come at the king you best not miss" Omar Little

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #1445 on: 20 April 2021, 09:17:00 »
When your post count is a year, you actually recall.  Of course if there'd not been
multiple resets I'd be a damn General or something by this time.  That and I'd have
a post log, with all manner of outright villainous nonsense in the early years....ahh
a chap can at least reminisce.

1989/1990 were pretty good years for my teenage Battletech obsession, bought a lot of
minis and books.  I also discovered my favourite song, and made a bunch of important
friends.  Gawd I feel ancient haha.

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
  • COMING SOON to Amazon!
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #1446 on: 20 April 2021, 10:07:15 »
You've got me beat. I first saw BT at Egyptian Campaign '91, the local game con (no longer held, more's the pity) which was held March 1-3 of that year. I liked it immediately, bought a used 2nd ed box set the next time I made it to the one game store (which was still new at the time) and TRO 3025, and the rest is history. (I still have that original TRO 3025, beat to hell from reading it cover to cover dozens of times.)

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1447 on: 21 April 2021, 14:34:45 »
Despite not watching the Cartoon, I somehow ended up with a couple of toys from it in the 90s.  Gifts maybe?  I don’t know.  My first real exposure was Mechwarrior 4, released late in 2000.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #1448 on: 21 April 2021, 17:35:57 »
[From a dusty corner]

It was a Walmart- I saw the original cover of  Warrior: Riposite with Hanse doing the famous toast with Melissa. However, I had no idea what I was seeing. I was eight at the time.

The first time the name Battletech registered with me really was at a Bookstop, a bookstore absorbed by Barnes and Noble, looking at Tech Readout 3025 when I was twelve wondering why there was Veritech in it.

I didn't start reading the novels till after the cartoon, and that was in the middle of the line.
« Last Edit: 21 April 2021, 19:08:00 by Lord Harlock »

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #1449 on: 21 April 2021, 18:56:41 »
So, while I can't remember what BT was like in 1918 (per Rorke's post) I first came in contact with the game back in 1986 right after Robotech debuted and the 2nd Edition boxset that had those wonderful standups.  I got my first miniatures in '87.  I first registered for this site back in the summer of 2002.

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
  • COMING SOON to Amazon!
    • My Amazon Author page
« Reply #1450 on: 22 April 2021, 09:44:25 »
Ah, those halcyon days of yore! BattleTech in 1918 was dominated by 'Mechs wading through ankle-high muck in the trenches, awaiting the signal to charge to cut through the hiss of the poor comm signals of the era. Targeting relied entirely on crude visual targeting. Environmental sealing was nonexistent; as many MechWarriors died of poison gas as of weapons fire. Truly a time when MechWarriors were MechWarriors and infantry knew their place.
« Last Edit: 22 April 2021, 09:50:29 by Doc Swift »

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1451 on: 22 April 2021, 09:56:52 »
Mechs wading out of the chemical fog, bundles of sticks strapped to their backs to fill the mech-scale trenches...
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #1452 on: 22 April 2021, 11:10:03 »
Despite not watching the Cartoon, I somehow ended up with a couple of toys from it in the 90s.  Gifts maybe?  I don’t know.  My first real exposure was Mechwarrior 4, released late in 2000.
In my case, in third grade my dad handed me a copy of the Roc edition of Decision at Thunder Rift, and then we had a copy of Mechwarrior 2 for the Mac, but my skills were woefully poor. I stuck to reading the books for a long time, but I finally got a copy of the game in 1999.
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1453 on: 22 April 2021, 12:30:00 »
It was 1987 for me and a chance encounter with the 3025TRO in a bookstore in Kingsport, TN.  I didn't actually get a copy of the box set until a year or so later on a return trip to my orthodontist, and wouldn't get my first mini until 1992 when a local game store in my hometown finally picked them up (an Atlas, of all things) but I wore that TRO completely out thumbing though it over the years.

Lord Harlock

• Captain
  • Watching from the Shadows
« Reply #1454 on: 22 April 2021, 18:12:57 »
Ah, those halcyon days of yore! BattleTech in 1918 was dominated by 'Mechs wading through ankle-high muck in the trenches, awaiting the signal to charge to cut through the hiss of the poor comm signals of the era. Targeting relied entirely on crude visual targeting. Environmental sealing was nonexistent; as many MechWarriors died of poison gas as of weapons fire. Truly a time when MechWarriors were MechWarriors and infantry knew their place.

Considering the Tsar Tank existed, I can imagine a World War I alternative world with Battletech. I don't want to as it mostly involves really stiff tin mechs that resemble shuffling furnaces with big flumes of black smoke pouring out the back.

Paladin1

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1455 on: 22 April 2021, 22:39:54 »
Considering the Tsar Tank existed, I can imagine a World War I alternative world with Battletech. I don't want to as it mostly involves really stiff tin mechs that resemble shuffling furnaces with big flumes of black smoke pouring out the back.

So, basically click-tech for TRO1917.  As long as it doesn't consist of horns or spikes, I could get into something like that.

The Mighty ACHOO

• Major
  • GET OFF MY LAWN!
« Reply #1456 on: 23 April 2021, 00:42:03 »
My first encounter with BattleTech was when the original box set was first released in 1985. I had been looking for Battledroids but FASA had to drop that name for legal reasons.
If you are waiting for me to go out of my mind you will have to wait. The exits are not clearly marked and the doors open the wrong way. Oh, and the doors are trapped!

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #1457 on: 27 April 2021, 12:20:56 »
For me it was 1986 Freshman Biology, the guy next to me was reading a book that had Robotech pictures in it but wasn't Robotech.

I asked him about it & then borrowed it to read it

I forget honestly if it was Sword & Dagger or Thunder Rift.

After a couple novels I found TRO3025 in a game store & bought that & the Recon Lance boxed set, didn't even know what they were or that it wasn't the basic game, just looked cool.

Then finally picked up the 2E boxed set when I realized I needed more to play, lol.

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #1458 on: 28 April 2021, 16:18:38 »
Oh damn 1987, bought TRO 3025 because I dug the art.

How little I knew then, how many many more books I'd end
up purchasing.  I've no idea how long I've been a denizen of
these forums.   Through multiple incarnations, and more huge
fights than I care to recall.  I still think whomever put a mute
function on this board, did all of us a massive disservice.  Having
blowhards be wrong, and cruise past good points refuting their
nonsense.....is an insult.

I do though recall playing Mechcommander during the days of
the Starlance league system.  At one point becoming an admin
and eventually, lead admin for the MC league.  Oh and point of
pride (sorry), once me and my trusty wingman ended up as the
top ranked 2 man team.  Ahhh heady days.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #1459 on: 18 May 2021, 17:52:31 »
I first came in contact with the game back in 1986 right after Robotech debuted and the 2nd Edition boxset that had those wonderful standups.  I got my first miniatures in '87. 

Sounds about the same as me.

Freshman Bio a guy next to me was reading either Sword & Dagger or Thunder Rift, I forget.

The pictures in the back were all of "robotech" or "other" lines of stuff I had seen.

Borrowed the book read it, liked it, then saw some of the game stuff at a comics store.

First purchases were Recon Lance minis box & TRO:3025,  didn't even know the 2nd Ed boxed set was the actual game needed to play, lol, got that on my next visit.

fallen

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #1460 on: 19 May 2021, 07:49:00 »
My first encounter with Battletech was in college.  In the summer of 1994, I was working at a Boy Scout camp and was introduced to the game by some fellow staff members.  The next semester, I was fortunate enough to met some guys in my dorm playing Battletech and several others board games and RPGs.   I got hooked into gaming and made some great friends!

3rdCrucisLancers

• SAVAGE
  • Freelance Writer
  • Captain
  • Smallest star in the firmament
« Reply #1461 on: 19 May 2021, 20:40:56 »
I was born in 1983. Things have deteriorated from there.
Fighter of the Nightman (ah-ah-ah)
Champion of the Sun (ah-ah-ah)

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #1462 on: 20 May 2021, 16:10:45 »
I was born in 1983. Things have deteriorated from there.

I can't say I recall 83 especially well, but honestly for me 1992.  One family schism/betrayal and
everything changed. 
« Last Edit: 20 May 2021, 16:13:40 by Rorke »

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #1463 on: 28 May 2021, 19:23:40 »
Just letting off steam, but grrr someone has ignored me.

I only know because I'd said I believed the ignore feature is
cowardly.  Perhaps that term was overly strong, but I do
actively loathe it.  So he'd said something about not posting,
and I felt I should message him and apologise. 

That I'd used a stronger term than perhaps was wise.  That
his arguments were valid and interesting, and ultimately he
should do what made him feel comfortable. 

"user x has blocked you"

Disappointing.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1464 on: 28 May 2021, 22:14:11 »
It is.  I was just telling folks the other day that I thought blocking people you disagree with (on social media in that context) mostly just showing that you were afraid to engage with them, and that someone with the courage of their convictions wouldn’t fear arguing it out with someone they disagreed with.
Sunrise is Coming.

Rorke

• Captain
  • Absolute Shower
« Reply #1465 on: 29 May 2021, 16:23:35 »
It is.  I was just telling folks the other day that I thought blocking people you disagree with (on social media in that context) mostly just showing that you were afraid to engage with them, and that someone with the courage of their convictions wouldn’t fear arguing it out with someone they disagreed with.

Without breaking any rules here, it's the time we live in unfortunately.  That's probably as deep as I can go on it, without
raising ire from the authorities here  ;)

Oh and began a new thread, this one can't have much room left before the 50 limit. 

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/mechwarrior-hall/affs-high-command-generals-and-gentlemen/
« Last Edit: 29 May 2021, 16:36:52 by Rorke »

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #1466 on: 29 May 2021, 17:25:11 »
Mods, I think we are moving on...31 December 2013, 21:02:02 to 29 May 2021, 16:35:25 isn't a bad run.

See you in the other thread, gents.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1467 on: 29 May 2021, 17:33:07 »
It was a good thread.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #1468 on: 29 May 2021, 17:34:04 »
I even tried to get it closer to 50...
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Charlie 6

• Captain
« Reply #1469 on: 29 May 2021, 17:58:39 »
Come to the new one.

Register