Author Topic: How common are Mauser IIC in-universe?  (Read 1166 times)

Crow

• Master Sergeant
  • Scientist-General
How common are Mauser IIC in-universe?
« on: 14 March 2023, 11:28:53 »
So are Mauser IIC something that every Tom, Dick and Harry solahma infantry cluster and Watch unit has, or it something that only your elite Ebon Keshik and Hells Horse warrior likely to have?

Reverse devil's advocate question: give me a good reason to *not * use Mauser IIC?
YOU DARE REFUSE MY BOOF?

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: How common are Mauser IIC in-universe?
« Reply #1 on: 14 March 2023, 12:27:43 »
Solahma Infantry are probably going to be given the still good Clan Pulse Laser rifle. I expect the Mauser IICs would be in the hands of (mostly Blood Spirit, Hell's Horse, or Steel Viper) elite infantry, Space Marine, or Watch units.

Church14

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 14 March 2023, 12:41:58 »
Don’t Stone’s Trackers use it as well?

Which probably means Fidelis have it? Or would RotS have had some of their own supply of it?

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 14 March 2023, 12:45:14 »
Don’t Stone’s Trackers use it as well?

Which probably means Fidelis have it? Or would RotS have had some of their own supply of it?

Yes, but probably as a single production run or hand me downs.

The Mauser 960 was SLDF standard issue rifle, I’d think it would be pretty common in clan space at every level.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #4 on: 14 March 2023, 13:00:04 »
It's listed as being available throughout Clan space, and most common with Clans that still make use of unarmored elite infantry. 

As an alternative, there's the Clan gauss SMG, which the Diamond Sharks/Sea Foxes sell to everyone, and even the Snow Ravens were handing out to the Outworlds Alliance as part of their merger.  (Per Dan Duval's "The Pirate Hunt")
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Sjhernan3060

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 14 March 2023, 13:03:37 »
Solahma Infantry are probably going to be given the still good Clan Pulse Laser rifle. I expect the Mauser IICs would be in the hands of (mostly Blood Spirit, Hell's Horse, or Steel Viper) elite infantry, Space Marine, or Watch units.

This sparked a question in my mind: the spirits as I understand have a large number of low skilled infantry but do they have any elite infantry units?

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #6 on: 14 March 2023, 13:05:32 »
I actually wonder if Kerensky would have prioritized the Mauser 960s, he seemed to be more interested in taking heavy equipment, ie Battlemechs and the SLDF's remaining Warships, out of the game. Mauser 960s are small fry by comparison so COMSTAR probably would have inherited the largest quantity of them along with whatever conventional forces were left over after the Invasion of Terra.

I always think of the Gauss SMG as a police weapon like the Avenger CCW. A basic pulse laser rifle doesn't need ammo so seems fit for service with Solahma that might be on long patrols in search of Bandits and Dark Caste/Tanite factions looking for self-sufficiency.

The Blood Spirits had a large group of soldiers so its likely that a few might be gathered into Elite battalions probably those that survived the Star Adder raids

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 14 March 2023, 13:49:42 »
Almost all the Clan infantry in TRO 3085 were equipped with the Mauser IIC. Solahma of various types, space marines, non-solahma like the Horses' infantry, the Ebon Keshik.

I got the impression it's pretty common. I'm not sure how much of that was dependent on Homeworlds manufacturing of the rifle.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #8 on: 14 March 2023, 17:11:45 »
The standard Clan rifles are pretty solid weapons to start with.

I would have thought the main limitation on the Mauser IIC is that it is "encumbering". In real terms, you need to be an elemental to use one effectively. That is probably the limiting factor on their use.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 14 March 2023, 18:18:49 »
The standard Clan rifles are pretty solid weapons to start with.

I would have thought the main limitation on the Mauser IIC is that it is "encumbering". In real terms, you need to be an elemental to use one effectively. That is probably the limiting factor on their use.

Agree with this. It's very big and heavy for a rifle. For non-elementals a Clan Pulse Laser Rifle or a Gauss SMG are probably better standard weapons.

In spite of being a "SMG" by name, the Gauss SMG is better than a lot of Inner Sphere ballistic rifles in several respects. It outranges a lot of them.
« Last Edit: 14 March 2023, 18:37:43 by Alan Grant »

pokefan548

• Captain
  • The Barracuda knows where it is, hence the -2 mod.
    • Poke's Aerospace Academy (Discord Server)
« Reply #10 on: 15 March 2023, 07:27:43 »
Almost all the Clan infantry in TRO 3085 were equipped with the Mauser IIC. Solahma of various types, space marines, non-solahma like the Horses' infantry, the Ebon Keshik.

I got the impression it's pretty common. I'm not sure how much of that was dependent on Homeworlds manufacturing of the rifle.
This—at least, by 3085. I imagine it was a fair sight rarer and more exclusive pre-Invasion, still somewhat uncommon outside the Horses and their common allies/enemies during the Invasion, and by my estimation probably started to really proliferate during the Civil War. This is mostly just conjecture though.
Poke's Aerospace Academy
The best place to learn and discuss AeroTech.

"Poke is just a figment of our imagination really." - Siam
"Poke isn't a real person, he's just an algorithm programmed by CGL to try and get people to try the aerospace rules." - Phantasm
"I want to plant the meat eating trees and the meat growing trees on the same planet! Watch that plant on plant violence!" - Sawtooth
Leviathans: The Great War Backer #224
BattleTech: Mercenaries Backer #23

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
« Reply #11 on: 15 March 2023, 14:51:19 »
It is a 50 year old weapon in 3069.

Combat Equipment
Unlike the Inner Sphere, the Clans managed to retain a sizeable cache of Mauser 960 assault systems in good repair and began limited production well after their formation in the Kerensky Cluster. Over time, Clan technicians expanded upon this system, increasing the Mauser’s size and firepower. The final result—the so-called Mauser IIC—first appeared fifty years ago and has seen widespread use by those Clans who still maintain elite unarmored infantry squads ever since.

Register