Author Topic: NHL 2023-2024 Vegas Edition: Mojave, Mo' Problems  (Read 13293 times)

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
Re: NHL 2023-2024 Vegas Edition: Mojave, Mo' Problems
« Reply #270 on: 24 April 2024, 07:00:17 »
It is very much like that.  I'm just picking NYR as my horse.  Even if they were facing the Canes or Boston, no matter.  Win or lose.

...Wilson of all players tried to make it close tonight!  Who let him practice hockey enough to contribute to the game???  azn

Credit to the guy, I married a Caps fan, so I see a lot of Wilson around here. Dude's good- like, 'this is a franchise player' good. He's a pest, for sure, and he has that nasty habit of getting thrown out of games that he never has shaken, but he's not alone in that regard. He's Brad Marchand with an extra few inches of height, or a Tkachuk with a few years more seasoning. Playing right on the edge of what's allowed, driving opponents nuts with his antics, and making goalies absolutely miserable with his shot. Any NHL defenseman mistaking Tom Wilson for a mere goon is in for a rough night.

I may not like the guy- at all- but I have nothing but (grudging) respect for his game.
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #271 on: 24 April 2024, 19:21:02 »
Definitely not got the exposure to the guy as a player here.  His reputation reminds me a little of Claude Lemieux.  So that's good but also not so good, lol...

Clearly, he's no Claude, though
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #272 on: 24 April 2024, 23:47:42 »
My first to final round prognostication is a Florida vs Dallas final.

Half of this pick still looks pretty good right now.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #273 on: 25 April 2024, 21:29:24 »
Definitely not got the exposure to the guy as a player here.  His reputation reminds me a little of Claude Lemieux.  So that's good but also not so good, lol...

Clearly, he's no Claude, though
I have to agree Tom is no Claude.  I will say though if Tom was on a more talented team in his career he's probably contributing more scoring department vs with his fist.  I wouldn't necessarily want to see him on the ice against the Caps, but he'd have more value trading him to a contender where he'd likely benefit from a deeper roster.

Toronto's best years with Marner and Matthews are probably going to go to waste.  It's still TBD for Draisaital and McDavid.  However could you imagine as a 2nd or depth winger on either of those teams.  It's somewhat frightning and he could probably pot 60 points year in and year out.

Anyone got any good ideas of something to watch after the Bruins close out the Leafs on Tuesday? It appears that the whole of the Eastern Conference 1st round will be wrapped up by then.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #274 on: 26 April 2024, 20:31:09 »
As a Caps fan it pains me to say this:

Can this game please end so we can get to the Avs/Jets game?

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #275 on: 26 April 2024, 20:38:43 »
Not a lot of excitement beyond the first period for NYR vs the Caps.

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #276 on: 29 April 2024, 03:56:28 »
I have spoken.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #277 on: 29 April 2024, 11:00:28 »
Thank goodness that didn't last longer.  Now I can concern myself with how much of a drop off they are likely to experience next season.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #278 on: 29 April 2024, 20:12:20 »
I wish you all luck, Firesprocket.  EDITED  Next couple seasons will be the biggest "Will 8 overtake Gretzky?!?!" years yet, and probably the biggest seasons of the all time goal chase.  If he stays healthy.  And damn, can Ovi try to play with some feeling?  Or helping to make things more meaningful on ice.

If he takes any longer, it drags on him, not Gretzky.  I hope it doesn't come to that for anyone's sake.  Like the Mike Gartner and other biggest anti-climactic chases ever.
« Last Edit: 29 April 2024, 20:34:33 by rebs »

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #279 on: 30 April 2024, 21:31:59 »
Well... might something interesting be happening with the Bruins vs. Leafs?
Just about a year ago, the Bruins were up 3-1 in a series where the opponent looked done for...

Cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #280 on: 30 April 2024, 21:33:41 »

What are you going to do when Ovi goes to a new team, or even better, retires?

Cheers,

Gabe
« Last Edit: 01 May 2024, 07:30:34 by gyedid »
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #281 on: 30 April 2024, 23:55:40 »
All criticism aside, we're not going to get any record chase like the all-time goals scored in the NHL record Ovi is aiming at.  If he hangs on and is relevant for two more seasons, it will be something in and of itself.   Something positive for the sport.  So I'm curious to see what he decides next.

Fat Guy

• Major
  • I make beer disappear. What's your superpower?
« Reply #282 on: 01 May 2024, 07:17:44 »
Well... might something interesting be happening with the Bruins vs. Leafs?
Just about a year ago, the Bruins were up 3-1 in a series where the opponent looked done for...

If Boston keeps playing like they did last night, the Leafs got this.

What are you gyto do when Ovi goes to a new team, or even better, retires?

If he switches teams I'm sure someone will update the meme.
I have spoken.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #283 on: 01 May 2024, 07:33:30 »
New year, same old Jets.  They're the Leafs of the Western Conference!

I feel bad for Sean Monahan and Tyler Toffoli, but that's what you get for playing on a team with Mark Scheifele.

Cheers,

Gabe

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #284 on: 01 May 2024, 09:03:25 »
Quick thoughts on my two teams last night:

Bruins: Expected... kind of. The Leafs were against the wall, not just the end of their season but the end of their TEAM. Losing another first round series almost certainly means an enormous overhauls in Toronto, with key people (coaches especially) likely out the door. This is it, this is the Leafs core as we know it on the line, so they were always going to show up with their A-level game. Anything less only justifies the teardown to follow. That said, the B's were shockingly bad in the first 30 minutes or so- two shots on net in the first period of a playoff game? TWO? And yet the team that laid that egg still went to OT and nearly won it. I'm not worried right now- I think a more even effort closes things out on Thursday.

Avalanche: Good lord. Just... they took the likely-Vezina winner behind the woodshed and beat the tar out of him five games in a row. I can't think of the last time I watched a top-tier goalie get absolutely torched like that. I noted before that this was less of an ass-kicking of the Jets and more of a warning to every other team left in the playoffs, and while the Stars and Knights are tied at this writing, both have to be looking ahead a little and raising their eyebrows. Dallas at least has a very good goalie in Oettinger- Vegas, I have zero faith in their ability to stop the Avs. Maybe keep up in high-scoring games, but not STOP them.

Side note, Cale Makar. Since 2005, only four defensemen have more playoff points than Makar does- Hedman, Keith, Letang, Carlson. That's it, those four. Now, part of that means the Avs have made deep playoff runs for him to get points in, same as the others, but... he's ahead in that time period of other deep-playoff defensemen like Doughty, Chara, MacAvoy, etc., and of the four ahead of him, three are surefire Hall of Fame players (sorry, Carlson).

The big one? Makar made his debut in 2019.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #285 on: 02 May 2024, 20:07:35 »
Wooh, the first period of tonight's Leafs/Bruins contest unfolded much like the last game's.  It seems to me the Leafs have found a way to turn the Bruins' own game against them...?

cheers,

Gabe
« Last Edit: 02 May 2024, 20:25:15 by gyedid »

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #286 on: 02 May 2024, 20:42:23 »
If the Finals come down to NYR and the Avs, I would honestly have to root for the Rangers to win a game.  Just one.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #287 on: 02 May 2024, 22:44:20 »
If Boston keeps playing like they did last night, the Leafs got this.

The momentum has definitely shifted.  Once again, the Bruins are heading to a Game 7 having failed to close out an opponent they had a commanding lead over.  The Leafs have the memory of last year's first-round success (however fleeting) to build on.  They've now realized they can not just match the Bruins defensively, but actually intimidate them.  Anyone else catch the way Max Domi pushed Brad Marchand down, with no pushback afterwards?  Is it just me, or have the Leafs actually been playing better with Matthews out of the lineup?

cheers,

Gabe

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #288 on: 03 May 2024, 00:14:24 »
Leafs fans think they do it just to set up the bigger disappointment later for maximum drama. Okay, not literally, but they have prior art. A lot of prior art

https://theathletic.com/5468599/2024/05/02/maple-leafs-playoffs-come-back/

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #289 on: 03 May 2024, 12:34:19 »
In the past two 1st periods, Boston has three shots on goal.

THREE. In two opening periods.

They may win Game 7. They will not DESERVE to win Game 7. That's absolutely astounding, for an NHL team in the playoffs to come out that flat two games in a row, in elimination games against an archrival, both home and away.

+Crow T. Robot+

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #290 on: 03 May 2024, 22:21:50 »
With round 1 winding down, my only prediction is now Colorado vs NYR Finals.  Bring on round 2.