Author Topic: (Answered) Homing Arrow IV missiles vs. a target more than 1 mapsheet away  (Read 1900 times)

nighthunter

• Corporal
  • Never Again.
Reference Tactical Operations (Corrected Second Printing, PDF version) p. 181 (Artillery Ranges and Indirect Artillery Flight Times) and p. 179 (Definition of Indirect).  Note that this is the closest that I have identified to being relevant to the question posed below.

So, another sojourn into grey areas.

Scenario:  An Arrow IV-equipped unit has no targets within 17 hexes, and is equipped solely with Arrow IV Homing Munitions (Inner Sphere).  In the Artillery Phase of Turn 1, the unit chooses to fire a Homing Missile into the next mapsheet North of the one that it currently occupies, on anticipation of having a target that can be TAG'd in the following turn (after the missile's flight time is accounted for, per the Flight Times table for Inner Sphere Arrow IV munitions).  During the following Artillery Phase of Turn 2, there is a VTOL spotter with TAG in position to designate a target.

Assuming for the purposes of this scenario, the TAG roll is successful, and the Arrow IV would follow standard rules to determine a hit or miss (i.e., 4+ roll).

Question:   There are two targets in range and in the firing arc of the VTOL with TAG, but only 1 of those targets is on the mapsheet directly North of the artillery unit's position (and this mapsheet was the original target area when the missile was fired), and the other target is on a mapsheet immediately East of the originally targeted mapsheet.  Is it possible for the Arrow IV round to be targeted on:
A:  A successfully designated target on the North (original target area) mapsheet
B:  A successfully designated target on the North (original target area) mapsheet OR a successfully designated target on the mapsheet immediately East of the North (original target area) mapsheet
C:  Neither case is valid, as I have interpreted something incorrectly or am working off a house rule.

I realize that if there is no successful TAG, then the Arrow round will miss/explode harmlessly.

Sorry for the drawn out explanation, but it is the best way to describe the scenario that we have encountered in a game today.  Thank you in advance!
« Last Edit: 25 January 2014, 02:26:16 by Xotl »
RAC/5:  Rotate on this.

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Check the developer-level errata section of the Tactical Operations errata thread.  Does that answer your question?
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

nighthunter

• Corporal
  • Never Again.
Yes, absolutely!  Thank you, as I missed that in the errata thread.
RAC/5:  Rotate on this.

We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty.