Author Topic: Battle Eagle heavy LAM  (Read 1023 times)

Trailblazer

• Warrant Officer
    • Excaliburs Saga Campaign for MegaMek
Battle Eagle heavy LAM
« on: 28 May 2020, 16:53:18 »
Experimenting with how much of a punch you can fit on an LAM using IJJs to reduce the tonnage of the engine required for PHX-LAM level speed.  The two SNPPCs will do a lot to reduce the negative impact of the Airmech attacker movement modifier penalty.  Could also do a variant removing the medium lasers to add a targeting computer to further improve accuracy.

Code: [Select]
Battle Eagle LAM EGL-B-250
Base Tech Level: Experimental (IS)
Level          Era
-------------------
Experimental    - 
Advanced      3070+
Standard        - 
Extinct       3085+
Tech Rating: E/X-X-F-X

Weight: 55 tons
BV: 2,229
Cost: 5,954,790 C-bills

Movement: 3/5/5
AirMech: 1/2/15/23
Fighter: 5/8
Engine: 165
Double Heat Sinks: 12 [24]
Gyro: Standard Gyro

Internal: 91
Armor: 184/185
                     Internal  Armor   
----------------------------------------
Head                        3      9   
Center Torso               18     27   
Center Torso (rear)                8   
Right Torso                13     20   
Right Torso (rear)                 6   
Left Torso                 13     20   
Left Torso (rear)                  6   
Right Arm                   9     18   
Left Arm                    9     18   
Right Leg                  13     26   
Left Leg                   13     26   

Weapons        Loc  Heat 
--------------------------
Snub-Nose PPC   RA   10   
Snub-Nose PPC   RA   10   
Medium Laser    LA    3   
Medium Laser    LA    3   

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
Re: Battle Eagle heavy LAM
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2020, 17:18:54 »

Good stuff.  I like the armor and symmetry.  The snubbie precedent has been set by a couple canon Pixie LAMs and this doubles down.

Don’t think there are any Clan (improved or regular) heavy large or medium lasers on the canon LAMs.  That would probably be the most efficient way to boost 10+ point hole-punching on LAMs without much loss of range vice snubbies.

For example, a couple heavy medium lasers can throw 10-point hits out to the same 9-hex range as your snubbies while saving ten tons.  Some of that can be plowed back into a targeting computer to partially offset the loss of accuracy at heavy medium laser’s medium and long range.  You’ll still have eight tons to plow into speed, armor, or other weapons/equipment.

A heavy large laser is also an option that saves eight tons (six with the TC) vice the snubbies, while preserving all their range and most of their damage and also concentrating that damage in a single 16-point hit.

Of course, you have to be comfortable with mixed tech for this.

Again, good stuff.
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2020, 17:22:51 »
If mixed tech is OK, why not ER PPCs?  ???

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #3 on: 29 May 2020, 15:20:36 »
If mixed tech is OK, why not ER PPCs?  ???

Clan ER PPCs aren't a bad option for power to weight at all.  Honestly, neither are Clan ERLLs or missile launchers, which is probably why they were so popular on the Spectral LAMs.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #4 on: 29 May 2020, 16:28:36 »
 ???

Are you missing a "not" in there?

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #5 on: 29 May 2020, 17:00:42 »
What? I don't think so. I was agreeing with you, in essence.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #6 on: 29 May 2020, 17:19:17 »
Somehow I missed the "n't" on the "are" there, despite squinting at it... my mistake...  :-[

Trailblazer

• Warrant Officer
    • Excaliburs Saga Campaign for MegaMek
« Reply #7 on: 30 May 2020, 08:36:41 »
Don’t think there are any Clan (improved or regular) heavy large or medium lasers on the canon LAMs.  That would probably be the most efficient way to boost 10+ point hole-punching on LAMs without much loss of range vice snubbies.

For example, a couple heavy medium lasers can throw 10-point hits out to the same 9-hex range as your snubbies while saving ten tons.  Some of that can be plowed back into a targeting computer to partially offset the loss of accuracy at heavy medium laser’s medium and long range.  You’ll still have eight tons to plow into speed, armor, or other weapons/equipment.

A heavy large laser is also an option that saves eight tons (six with the TC) vice the snubbies, while preserving all their range and most of their damage and also concentrating that damage in a single 16-point hit.

Of course, you have to be comfortable with mixed tech for this.

Good ideas, although I'm not sure I love heavy lasers for an LAM at the end of the day.  Unless you've got a Gunnery 1 pilot in the thing, even with a TC you're going to have pretty poor THNs at a lot of ranges in Airmech mode.  The thing I like about the snubnoses is that the long short range goes a long way toward counteracting the big attacker move mods for Airmechs.

The thing I'd love to see on an LAM is a Clan LPL.  That could be the best overall weapon for an Airmech to use, something that could actually potentially hit targets even at long ranges while the thing is flying.  If I were going to turn this into a mixed design, I'd try subbing in CLPLs for the snubnoses.

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
« Reply #8 on: 30 May 2020, 09:30:54 »
It's tough to top the cLPL for consistent delivery of damage. Pair them and watch the PSRs roll in for your opponent  :thumbsup:

Cheers,
LCC
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2020, 11:36:59 »
Clan LPLs are one of the best weapons in the game period.  It's range, damage and tonnage alone make it useful, the bonus to hit just piles on.

PuppyLikesLaserPointers

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 30 May 2020, 23:54:24 »
It seems very good. Max armor, two Snub-Nosed PPC and two medium lasers for very close range makes it a good backstabber in the right place.

Clans Large Pulse Laser is also an excellent weapon. If it is available, Snub-Nosed PPC become obsolete because Clans LPL is simply better for all counts.

ER PPC is also powerful, but it is heat sink hungry.

Register