Author Topic: Pulse laser in AS  (Read 2053 times)

Louie N

• Lieutenant
Pulse laser in AS
« on: 11 December 2023, 11:23:37 »
Hello,

I wish they had converted Pulse lasers differently in AS.  Instead of a damage boost which often rounds to the same number, I wish they had called out a Pulse special line Similar to the AC, SRM, & LRM lines.  For example a (Pulse x/x/x/) stat.  That damage would hit within two of your to hit roll. 

Just a wish. 

theagent

• Master Sergeant
Re: Pulse laser in AS
« Reply #1 on: 11 December 2023, 22:16:30 »
I think it's because it doesn't really add anything special as an ability.  The point of the SRMx/x, LRMx/x/x, IFx, & other types of abilities is that you're using something extra:  the SRM/LRM abilities let you use specialty ammo to have additional effects, IF lets you fire even if you don't have direct LOS, etc.

Pulse weapons, however, don't have special damage, they just are slightly more accurate.  Since the weapons with minimum ranges have their AS damages reduced to account for their reduced accuracy within their minimum range, it makes more sense for pulse weapons to have their AS damages increased to account for their increased accuracy.

If you wanted to do a house rule for that, you could...but then you'd also have to drop the base damage that they do as well.  You'd probably see your base damages drop by 1 (or even 2) for each damage bracket, & then you're not talking about a whole lot of damage necessarily hitting the target unless your 'Mech is loaded with pulse lasers.

By the same token...if you're going to do that, then you'd probably have to have the negative ability of "Heavy Laser".  You would get a slight adjustment to the base damages (probably 1-2 extra points at most), but if you don't exceed your strike role by at least 1, then you subtract the damage the listed amount from your damage.

AS is all about simplification.  Trying to unsimplify it isn't going to work as well.

Karack Blackstone

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 18 December 2023, 18:56:45 »
This raises the same question for LB-X Cluster rounds.

My guess?

I think the best solution would be to figure that Pulse, as an USR, does not by itself make Pulse weapons the game changes in AS they need to be in their BT version.

AS simplifies, while BT has the nitty-gritty.

BT can use the -2, AS translating it to more damage per the above seems a good solution.

-2 is more than -1 for LB-X Cluster shots, however, both are not simple.

If you could TRADE the -1 or -2 for the To-Hit Bonus in AS, then the amount of Pulse weapons mounted can start to change things at least slightly.

Although my Titan C custom design with its 10 MPL's would certainly be an interesting case.

For now, I'd say keep it as it is; with playtesting, maybe see if said trade of damage for a better To-Hit of either -1 or -2, as needed, is more interesting and fun?

Food for thought.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 18 December 2023, 21:36:08 »
At least LB-X provides the FLAK Special for the unit.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

Descronan

• Master Sergeant
  • "No multi-pass."
« Reply #4 on: 24 December 2023, 00:04:55 »
Because the conversion rules give pulse lasers more damage, if you use the Multiple Attack Rolls option, it kind of gives you an extra die roll if the damage rolls over. That's kind of like getting the bonus to hit. (shrug)

Register