Author Topic: Does it make you happy now? (another Ngoverse alternate because I can't sleep)  (Read 89601 times)

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
"...she believes that war is waged on every front, Khan Marthe Pryde, not just on the field of battle, but in the shop stalls and factories, rice fields and ranches."  Nelson Elam passed the carafe across the table to his Jade Falcon counterpart.  "it is a peculiarly Kowloonese view, no doubt driven by their long struggle against the Rim Worlds, but there are echoes of that viewpoint in Military writings going back to before spaceflight."

"Aff, 'total war' doctrine." Marthe visibly grimmaced.  "The embrace of the struggle across all classes and castes."

The fleets-the main fleets, were now moving to engage, and there was little to do but wait for the outcome now.

Wait, and review Elizabeth Ngo's proposal.

"Economic warfare." Nelson said.

"Aff.  Attacking a foe's ability to recover in the absence of open conquest, it is...disturbing." Marthe said.  "Cruelty, almost dezgra."

"You will refuse to allow it?"

"I see no choice but to refuse." she said, "Founder! this is...savagely cruel, especially to the lower castes!"

"Lower castes who would likely prosper far more under more enlightened warriors." he said, "At least, more enlightened than the Steel Vipers, quiaff?"

Marthe put the proposal down on the table.  "aff."

"And those warriors, would they be as able to prevent those lower castes from being absorbed by a more enlightened clan, if they lacked the resources to defend their claim adequately?" Nelson asked.

"They would, you know they would."

"Would it also be a statement on the fitness of the targeted clans, if they failed to weather such a storm, Khan Marthe?" He asked.

"you are endorsing this?"

"I am simply providing a simulation of her most likely arguments.  I hate the idea too."

"The trials at the other end of this, would be a bloodbath that would burn the whole of the Homeworlds." Marthe said.

"Which is why she thought of it." Nelson told her, "these people, these Kowloonese, they make Blood Spirits look forgiving, when you scrape the paint off.  they will without doubt be merciful to the Steel Vipers they capture alive, but that is the overlay they tell themselves, the ideal they try to reach, the practical reality is that as a culture they are still locked in the mindset of resisting the Rim Worlds Republic, of opposing House Amaris, or any other conqueror who seeks to change their culture through force of arms."

He sipped his drink and waited.

"She is a merchant." Marthe said, "She is a warrior, but she is, at her heart, a merchant...and this, to her, is simply a business transaction-a hostile transaction to bankrupt and break a competitor."

Nelson smiled, "yes, that is exactly what this is...on one level, on another, it is war to the knife."

"I have to think about this." Marthe said quietly.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
This conversation reminds me a bit of the "root beer scene" from DS9,
https://youtu.be/6VhSm6G7cVk?t=90

Euphonium

• Captain
  • Look Ma, no Faction!
This has been the most enjoyable thing I've read since, erm....

...I'm not sure actually, but it's been a while.

Thankyou Cannonshop.
>>>>[You're only jealous because the voices don't talk to you]<<<<

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Clan Steel Viper: a wholly owned subsidiary of Ngo Industries
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"
-Attributed to First-Prince Hanse Davion, 3030

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
    • Project: LEGION (An AU by Kasaga)
Clan Steel Viper: a wholly owned subsidiary of Ngo Industries

and Falconbank!

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
This is madness. This isn't Sparta, though...  >:D
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

jonen c

• Sergeant
The secret the Khans do not want you to know: Hostile takeovers, downsizing and liquidation of assets, a how to guide for the enterprising Clan Merchant
- Propaganda document circulated on the Clan chatterweb ca mid-3060s

Dave Talley

• Major
her report to Victor,
Hey boss,
I own a clan now!!!!
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Amusingly, most if not all of the clans intentionally keep themselves on the edge of economic disaster as a cultural imperative.

"No Clan overproduces; it is critical to maintain “just enough” for each member of the Clan, in accordance to Kerensky’s principles. (...) This shows that the system is totally unable to compensate for sudden and unexpected disasters, causing their magnitude and damage to increase dramatically. (...) Mastery of such a balance is a difficult thing. Many Clans can barely operate on a month-to-month basis."

(Wars of Reaving)

The Falcons are right to be afraid. The homeworlds will collapse if this becomes a typical tool of warfare. 
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Found a photo of the first Diamond Sharks to meet Liz:
"That's the thing about invading the Capellan Confederation: half a decade later, you want to invade it again"

Korzon77

• Captain
Amusingly, most if not all of the clans intentionally keep themselves on the edge of economic disaster as a cultural imperative.

(Wars of Reaving)

The Falcons are right to be afraid. The homeworlds will collapse if this becomes a typical tool of warfare.

And honestly, so should the Sphere--the kind of War that is being promoted here is pretty close to the kind of war you saw in the First and Second Succession wars.   Upending the table and throwing out all the rules can help you win this game--but what happens when everyone else overturns their own tables?

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
In the black of the Kowloon system, fleets came to a point that armies sometimes call 'the merge'.

It's been 27 hours since the invasion began.

as a fleet exercise, the battle of Kowloon would not stand up to the massive fleet engagements of the First Succession War's opening shots.

but it's the first fleet engagement coming close to that size since the second succession war.

Clan history, such as it is, hasn't got a precedent until you get back to the original SLDF's war against Amaris.

But already, there are suggestions as to why nobody has done this sort of thing for a very long time.

To be honest, Clan Steel Viper underestimated the defending forces-badly, while worrying that what they were sending was grossly overkill.

There is no reason to worry about that problem any more.

The defending fleet came to the merge, and immediately spread out in a three dimensional shape, creating an anvil into which the Steel viper fleet drove itself.  This anvil was made of missiles and projectiles.  a holding action, more than anything else, but one configured to account for different speeds of the attacker, peeling the hull to the frames of the faster vessels minutes before targeting radar could give good returns. 

into this, drove the fighters, riding wingtip-to body with capital missiles, using missiles as a sort of 'chaff'-deadly chaff, chaff that carries thermonuclear warheads, swamping the Steel Viper fleet's point defenses and bracketing fire targeting systems.  Flying between the fighter/missile screen, streaking ahead of them, were calculated 'ranging shots' from the main batteries.  those shots weren't, for the most part, aimed at the warships.

they were stripping Steel Viper's dropship contingent, or focusing on the less maneuverable aegis class cruisers.

the wall of battle closed...and then opened again, as the Coast Guard fleet lit up their engines in reverse, slowing the merge, and maneuvering in evasive patterns to prevent a 'time lock'-the calculated triangulation math that would let their opponents bring main guns to bear on the main fleet at ranges beyond reliable radar.

the first engagement of the fleets took twenty minutes, and left devastation in its wake.

put an object in motion, in space, that object will continue until acted upon by an outside force.  There is no atmosphere to slow an object down, and this far out from the binary star of the Kowloon system, there is only very small amounts of gravity to curve the shots.

effectively, a shot fired can traverse the width of a solar system to arrive on target, if the target's motion and the influences of gravity have been properly calculated.  This is what was now happening in the Kowloon system to the Steel Vipers.

in space, Navigation IS gunnery.  The most important thing to have, then, the 'revolutionary' aspect, is FTL comms to provide timing and target data.

The Coast Guard has it, the Clans do not.

"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
*Rocks self in chair trying to write his own AU and waiting for Cannonshop to release his next iteration*

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
"They're hurting now." Elizabeth noted quietly.  "So...now, we close the deal.  Commodore Vu Dao, are we in readiness?"

"Forces are positioned, the enemy have begun splitting into task groups and burning fuel, if not now, we won't get another chance before they make orbit."

She turned to Nathan Roshak, "Hope your people are as good as they think they are.  I wish I could have taught you more of the ship, I'm gonna be leaning on you hard."

"Why?" Nathan asked.

"Because I'm about to do something stupid, and I usually rely on Bianh to cover my stupid risks-but she's got the rest of the force to worry about.  All hands, all hands, stand by for null pressure, seal up people, we are going into the fight."

she closed her visor, and Nathan hurriedly donned his helmet and sealed up.

on his status, he saw the atmosphere drop to zero in the CIC, as the pipe-air flooded into his suit.

"All hands brace for KF transition in three....two...one..."

discontinuity

Nathan stood on a flying bridge over a waterfall, champagne glass in hand, watching the sun rise. 

"It is beautiful here, I am glad you brought me." He heard himself say it, he felt the words come out of his mouth.  "Perfect for a honeymoon."

"I knew you'd like it." she replied.  "This is your home now, Nathan, our home.  Where you belong."

"you make it so." he says, she doesn't resist as he leans into the kiss...

Discontinuity

They were in the middle of the enemy formation.

"FIRE all point defenses!!!" He bellowed, "launch all fighters and keep firing!!"

He could see Elizabeth thrashing in her restraints, retching from the TDS effects.

"F...foccus on the enemy Cameron class, it's portside ne-hurk...negative seven degrees all main batteries." Liz managed to speak between retches.

Nathan turned to the gunnery officer console, and dialed in the order, setting range based on the numbers shown from the ship's recovering sensors.

"Helm, keep us at a narrow angle to that battlewagon to starboard." she was recovering her senses, "Missile spread along that axis from the starboard batteries, I want them worried about nukes, not us."

Lights dimmed as secondaries kicked in, and a friendly contact came out of transition behind them.

"Work the crowd Roshak!!" Liz ordered, "Mass fire, one target, shift to the next, the follow-ons can do the finishing, we're here to weaken their line!  helm all ahead one half, maintain evasion, I don't want to be there when their return fire hits. remember we've got friendlies mixed in, gunners mates watch your backstops!"

Nathan felt the return fire hitting through the deck plates.  screens flickered and then returned to life, and the damage control boards began showing yellow and red sections of the ship.

"Delta Turret is out of action!"

"Reroute power to Charlie, Bravo and Alpha!" she barked back.

The 'stretch' Landmark responded quickly.

"Torpedoes loose!" she ordered.  Nathan found the control, and hit it.  the portside bays opened up, releasing capital missiles in a spread.

seconds turned to minutes, and they were clear of the enemy formation.

"bank port thirty eight degrees, up angle fifteen, three quarters thrust MARK!" she ordered, "Gunnery stations maintain the enemy formation in your sights, all turrets continue ripple fire!"

it sank in as he tried to keep up with her lightning orders-fighting a warship is more like commanding a Cluster, than piloting a 'mech.

"CAG, bring those formations around, I'm seeing insects, squish them!"

the Steel viper ships were turning to bring broadside to bear, as she ordered a pass below the 'floor' of their formation, continuing the barrage against already weakened hulls and structures.

and she wasn't alone.  Nathan could look up occasionally as gun stations resumed control.

"DC report!"

"Delta turret is back up to thirty percent, they lost a gun."

"is it jammed?" she asked.

"No mum!" the Coastie on DC panel announced, "Full traverse."

"restore power and get that gun in the line! I want bracketing on the Essex, Roshak, now!!"

"Aff!"

"Launch Torpedoes, Starboard, range five hundred kilometers, target is an Aegis!"

"Launching!"

"Cameron's breaching!"

"Switch targets, ahead portside, fifteen hundred kilometers, Whirlwind, Kill It!!"

"alpha turret down!"

"cut power, DC teams to Alpha Turret! Get my guns back NOW!"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
in the end, the Steel Viper navy was just trying to retreat to the nearest stable point.

at considerably less tonnage than they had at the beginning of this.  Eight months of travel, at enormous, some would say ruinous expense. and of twelve warships, only two managed to escape from the Kowloon system.

Clan Steel Viper had rolled the dice first, and come out of it minus a significant portion of their touman.

for Nathan Roshak, the shock of being alive was elation enough, especially when he could look through the hole in the wall of CIC at open space-a naval autocannon shell had passed through mere meters from his station at the last of that engagement.

Elizabeth had to be pried out of the twisted wreckage with power armor, and her first words upon being freed from the broken support pinning her down, was "and this, Nathan Roshak, is why you don't go into battle at one atmosphere hull pressure."

"aff...savashri..." he  whispered.

"Who was in Aux control at the end there, I need to buy him or her a drink." Liz continued.

"Star Commodore Yvegny Folkner." he told her.

"He fought a hell of a fight after we were taken out, I owe him a beer when we make port." she judged, "and you too. You weren't bad for a cherry gunny."

she clasped his arm, and he imagined warmth there through the layers of pressure suit.  "You done good, might make a sailor out of you yet."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Forty eight hours after the last viable Steel Viper warship left the system...

Marthe Pryde was there to see the returning fleet...and she stared.

"It is one thing to see the abstracts...how are they still flying?" she asked.

"With difficulty, I imagine." Admiral Li commented dryly.  Star Admiral Von Jankmon joined them on the observation deck of the shipyard.

"With less difficulty than you might think.  My Khan, what I participated in today-it revolutionizes seven hundred years of naval doctrine.  Our own fleet is...obsolete...founder, our entire naval structure is obsolete...those wrecks out there? those are still combat capable!"

"...we're going to have to do something about POWs." Elizabeth stated.  "How many are we looking at, Alicia?"

"around fifteen thousand and change, mum."

"we are definitely going to need to do something about our POW problem, I won't pay for indefinite incarceration for fifteen thousand enemy personnel, and I'm less okay with sending them back to come fight us again."

"The Falcons can take some of that load-if you ask them nicely?"  Li suggested.

"That goes back to the possibility of having to fight them again." Liz stated, "but yeah, we can pawn off some of that on them, but they still have to arrange transport."

"Fedcom authorities for the rest?"

"Doable." she agreed.  "The Archon Prince is going to want a lot of the salvageable materiel anyway."

« Last Edit: 01 November 2020, 15:58:30 by Cannonshop »

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
And now I can go to bed lol.  This was good.  I can't wait to hear about more.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
On New Avalon, the meeting with the admiralty resulted in something that made it worth it for Victor to attend.

stunned silence.

"Gentlemen, ladies...your doctrine is obsolete."  the Archon Prince broke the silence.  "Let's go over this, shall we?  Six lighter warships, twenty four even lighter ships, four traditional battlewagons that really didn't see much action...and against a force that included battlecruisers and at least four battleships, the AFFC's reserve naval forces at Kowloon inflicted ten enemy warship casualties and forty one enemy dropship casualties at the loss of one light sloop and one Destroyer Leader that will have to spend the next ten months in repair."

he tapped with a pointer, "And at no point in this very successful engagement of a technologically superior force, did any one of those kowloonese crews decide to try to use their ship as a battering ram."

victor placed his hands behind his back, and walked along the line of his Admirals.

"We are going to play a game, ladies and gentlemen, because you sorry lot have been resisting reform efforts every single step of the way."  he turned, "Observe the desk there?  there are two boxes.  on the one hand, is the box that says 'Yes your highness, we should start adopting reforms immediately!',  the other box, is for those of you who feel that the present doctrine, including the emphasis on ramming attacks, is a suitable doctrine for a nation with the needs of the Federated Commonwealth.  I will accept resignations with no acrimony if you choose to place one in the second box right now.  if you instead wish to have your personnel file in the first box, if you backslide on that, you will be fired for cause, am I completely, thoroughly, and totally understood?"

Nikas_Zekeval

• Captain
How much will the Falcons make the Ravens pay for data on this naval battle?  Because the AFFC will be implementing it, if it can hang together.  Or did all the networks keep broadcasting once the Vipers crashed the party and the trial was called off?

Even in that case, the Falcons likely got a better view, and between battle damage, battle losses, and having to completely revamp their doctrine and warship design?  Their data might be enough of a buy in for the Ravens to help them with construction and setting up an OZ shipyard.
« Last Edit: 01 August 2020, 23:05:26 by Nikas_Zekeval »

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
The falcons can resurrect a nice little corvette class ship in order to start the process something called the Peregrine and guess what it just came out today lol.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
How much will the Falcons make the Ravens pay for data on this naval battle?

Clever Falcons would not sell the data.

Sneakier Falcons would sell them flawed data.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

jonen c

• Sergeant
I'm kind of imagining many a national leaders not being far off from shouting at their admiralties while pointing at the KCG: "Lizzie Ngo built this, in a cave, with a box of scraps!"

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
"It is not a fluke."  Khan Lynn McKenna stated.  "nor magic trick.  at some point, when we were all looking the wrong way, someone figured out a trick our ancestors missed."

She almost strutted in the wardroom.  "Several tricks.  And put it together right under our noses."

"But...how?"  one of her subordinates asked.  "Are we not the culmination of generations of refinement-"

"Stagnation." She snapped, "While we have been content, decade after decade, with simulators and limited trials, content in our status as Warriors, we have collectively Stagnated. The answer was handed to me in my single meeting with one of them, and I was too vain to see it.

she rapped her swagger stick on the wardroom table, "we are Warriors who ride warships in space.  They are spacers who occasionally must go to war.  During the settlement of the Pentagon worlds, one of the genegineers altered feline dna to make a flying predator to deal with the noisome and dangerous wildlife on Circe...do you know how well that worked?"

"Ah..."

"It did not work at all-not against avian predators evolved to fly."  Lynn stormed.  "WE are Prosser's Flying Cat in comparison to these people, because their secret are spacers, Belters, what they call 'Rockjacks'.  People whose entire life, whose culture is built around the space between star and worlds, the airless reaches, and especially the realm of hyperspace...and that is where our collective salvation lies."

"What are you proposing, Khan Lynn McKenna?"

"We will make a pact with the Outworlds, as we have begun, but no Snow Raven will set foot on an inhabitable planet again.  We will be the Rockjakkah, The Outawallah, the deep spacers for them, safeguarding their convoys, sharing their knowledge, building their strength and teaching them-but never, ever, to set foot upon a world until we, too, are truly the masters of the deep black."

she studied their expressions, the stunned looks, the satisfied looks, the horrified looks.  "I submit to the Clan Council of Clan Snow Raven that we need no planet, and have need of no planetary anchors, we will build this Clan's fortunes in space, and master it in the name of the Star League Reborn.  I open this floor to the debate."

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
"Founder's balls...is that all that is left of the Steel Viper Fleet?"  SaKhan Sellen Cage watched the remains of the Steel Viper armada as they passed on this point in the Exodus Road.

Word had already begun to spread of the humiliation of Clan Steel Viper, the loss of five Galaxies of troops well before they landed, of the near-annihilation of the proudest portion of that Clan's Fleet.

The news had been sufficient for calmer heads within the Hellion Leadership to rethink their own plans to attack Kowloon, but the rethinking was merely hesitation...until he looked on the two remaining Steel viper ships, seeing with his own eyes the blown-out, blister-like injuries, the sheared weapons mounts, the unrepaired battle damage and the leaking thrust bells...

and the empty drop collars.

"you know, I always wanted a Whirlwind class cruiser." Sellen said idly.  "it's the name of the class, whirlwind, it just has that je'ne'se'quois...And look, there is one that is heavily damaged, limping back to the homeworlds in shame..."  the Hellion Sakhan turned to an aide, "I think we should help our wayward brethren extirpate that humiliation, quiaff?"

"Aff."

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
Well, what are they going to do with all of their Clusters of BattleMechs???  Interesting, very interesting.  They won't need all of them to defend the surfaces of Asteroids and other such bases.

Posted before the Ice Hellion Dialog.  Not trying to correct someone on their writing because I know I need a lot of work but the Clan's hate contractions I make it a conscious effort to keep them out of any dialog they have and to have them react adversely when around Spheroids who do use it.

Love your work bud keep it up.
« Last Edit: 02 August 2020, 09:51:28 by Kasaga »

JA Baker

• Captain
  • Dreamer Of Dreams
Not to nitpick, but isn't the Whirlwind a refit of the Davion class Destroyer, not a Cruiser?

Kasaga

• Lieutenant
Not to nitpick, but isn't the Whirlwind a refit of the Davion class Destroyer, not a Cruiser?

yup.

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
Its the Snow Raven's decree that interests me. That means several things. One, Their toman's assets will change, either to nearly (if not utterly) be all Aerospace-centric. Two, what 'mech assets they do chose to retain will either be converted to space-based configurations or will be mothballed as tradeable assets to other clans. Three, OA's mechs will be come truly green from lack of use: Very few units will ever be allowed to reach any defended OA world...
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
Hue City...

From here, Nathan found he could see the mighty Ia Drang falls, two hundred Kilometers to the Northwest, and the massive cloud at the base of them.  and with Binoculars, he could look on the Ia Drang Bridge-the outermost portion of the underground city, a balcony in ferrocrete and endo-steel, now that it had been repaired and updated.

"It is beautiful here." he said.

"Yeah, but the view's better from the Balcony." Liz said, standing next to him, "You still have papers to sign."

"hm? Oh...right...things are so much simpler in our system..."

"yeah, but your system doesn't include deeds or taxes." she stated, "Which you will be collecting on behalf of your Clan now."

"I have Merchant Administrators for that."

"okay, your staff will be." she said, "it's the same thing.  Clan Jade Falcon needs foreign exchange capital, Marthe turned me down on the credit-default-swap scheme after talking with those same Merchant Administrators."

"You were going to try to back-door bankrupt the entire Clan system, Liz."

she sighed, "Yeah, and it would have been hilarious. the ultimate prank, and profitable for your Clan."

"I do not think driving millions of lower caste into penury is 'hilarious'."

"It would be if you knew anything about economics." she said, "The actual plan was to break their alliances and set them on each other's throats with refusal to pay the interest.  the Homeworld Clans would be so wrapped up in their internal fighting they wouldn't be in a position to even consider launching another expedition to the Inner Sphere for generations."

"You are not even ashamed, quineg?"

"nope.  Failed scheme, proves I'm not that good at scheming, kind of refreshing to have a head of state tell me hard 'no', most of the time they see the c-bills and get all drooly and greedy-except Victor, Victor doesn't get greedy, I really have not a clue what vices he's hiding, but they're probably boring...aside from that Drac princess he's been schtupping."

"Elizabeth...what is this?"

"Oh, immigration form." she said.

"immigration?"

"Residency on Kowloon, means immigrant status.  the second page details rights and responsibilities." she said.  "Note it's been amended, you're not forswearing your allegiance to Clan Jade Falcon, but you are accepting a responsibility to send a representative to the planetary legislature, to represent Clan interests in the Solomon Valley-which is where Hue is, and is now the Jade Falcon enclave."

"Why would we do that?" he inquired.

"Because you live here." she stated.  "You're bringing in people to live here, that means they get a vote and get to hear their grievances aired in a public forum, it also means formalizing limitations-your law reaches to the border of your land, anyone crosses that border and breaks it, it's your responsibility, but it also means there are going to be conflicts, and I don't like settling conflicts with seventy ton war machines or kiloton warheads if they can be settled with discussion and negotiation."

she turned him with a hand, "See that forest over there? Wildfires every four to six years, you'll be responsible for having a crew to help with them, because your people live here too.  that means you want to get to know the chiefs at VDL and New Saigon, as well as Bien Hoa and Ia Drang, since they're going to be sending in firefighting crew to help-you bought yourself a place in my community, and that means you're one of us now."

"preventative measures?" he asked.

"Those trees produce a sap that is valuable." she told him, "Management of that forest area will be in your hands out to your border, there are also valuable medicinals growing in there, and some of them need the fires to start gestation.  It's part of your Clan's income now, if you want to cut it back, I won't stop you, but I suggest you have smokejumpers trained up and ready to help control the fires instead."

he considered that.  "What else?"

"Water rights, page six fifty two.  Fishing as well-fish is a staple food and it's healthy, but you don't want to overfish or you'll be sorry later, there are provisions for controlled aquaculture if you can find people to run it, and that can be a boon to your offworld holdings, or a profit source, but you'll need to make sure your fishermen know when and where the seasons are, and if you want expanded ranges, your best bet is to convince the Assembly that it's a good idea...and your military personnel will be responsible for the defense of your enclave against piracy, raiding, and external aggression...right to the border. after that, it's my problem."

"There are so many details in this..." he noted.

"Details win campaigns, details win wars." she said, "Details are, therefore, good to have covered, you'll also want to appoint someone to mediate low-level disputes with the neighbours, our liaison is with the Coast Guard, who will be maintaining an access point on your border, I suggest you might want to man your side of it for the sake of appearances if nothing else."

"I have that covered." he said.  "you know, you are now standing on Jade Falcon land."

"I do not feel threatened, Nathan Roshak, because you are not an enemy." she said, "You have convinced me you can be trusted."

he blinked in surprise.  "how?"

"Actions." she stated.  "Dinner at my place?"

"I would suggest mine, now that I have one...but I have yet to do the...ah...shopping."

"sounds like a bargain to me, housewarming." she said it more softly.

georgiaboy

• Warrant Officer

I think this is a Tanker talking, he would not know the difference between a Destroyer and a Cruiser. If it is bigger than the one before, it is a cruiser. If it is really, really Big, its a battleship. all the same, all they are good for is OrBat.

That is the thinking of a tanker
"Constructive critism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates

Register