Poll

Which do you find the better LRM support platform in the context of the SWs?

Scorpion (LRM)
8 (36.4%)
Striker
4 (18.2%)
Striker (LRM 15)
10 (45.5%)
Striker (SRM)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: 19 December 2023, 10:36:57

Author Topic: Which do you find the better LRM support platform in the context of the SWs?  (Read 1164 times)

Minemech

• Captain
Which do you find the better LRM support platform in the context of the SWs? You may use whatever inputs you find proper.
(This is a corollary poll to another thread)

On the left you have the Scorpion, a very light and cheap tank. She is tracked, genuinely dirt cheap, easy to repair, and can be used anywhere by anyone and under any command. Furthermore, she is the most battle tested of the bunch with her 15 tubes hitting well above what is expected for an ICE vehicle of her mass. She may not have the armor of the bunch (It has 5 tons, which is excellent for its mass), but she can compensate. I bring you the iconic, and the ubiquitous Scorpion tank. 

In the upper ring you have the classical Striker. It is perhaps one of the most aesthetically pleasing combat vehicles in battletech, but backs it with performance. She may be wheeled, but she uses her LRM 10 with 12 rounds with care, and the SRM 6 is both a defensive weapon against hovercraft and can provide other forms of nasty surprises on a battlefield. Sure, she is not Scorpion cheap, but is still relatively affordable for most commands. The classic Striker.

On the right, we have the latest arrival, the LRM 15 Striker with plenty of reloads to fire at will. She may still be stunted with a wheeled chassis, but her hits hurt and skilled users will typically keep her from harm's way, or present more pressing foes. The overworked and still firing LRM 15 Striker.

Lastly in the lower ring we have a version designed to engage multiple mechs and combat vehicles at once with a plethora of SRM Launchers. She may only have a ton of SRM ammunition, but for a light vehicle with 4 SRM 2s, that may be the better choice. I present the SRM Striker.
« Last Edit: 05 December 2023, 10:40:37 by Minemech »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
For pure LRM support, cheap wins it for me.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
Tough choice.

The Scorpion brings more LRM to bear than the standard Striker, and more on a per C-Bill basis than the LRM Striker.

But the Striker is faster, and thus more capable of keeping up with a mobile battle as well as able to avoid enemies closing in, and at the same time it can do more to deter or fight those enemies. And it´s not even really expensive compared to anything other than bargain bin vehicles like the Scorpion - we´re not talking about Rhinos here.

I´d probably go with the LRM Scorpion if I´m cash-strapped, but with Strikers (possibly a half-and-half mix of the standard and LRM version) if I can afford it.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
It's faster, but the wheels keep it out of the places where you most want to park LRM support.

Natasha Kerensky

• Major
  • Queen of Spades, First Lady of Death, Black Widow
You can buy three Scorpion LRM tanks for the BV2 of roughly two Striker LRM tanks.  That ~50% increase in LRMs per BV2 does it for me.  As Daryk points out, the Striker’s extra speed versus the Scorpion’s terrain flexibility is probably a wash.
« Last Edit: 05 December 2023, 22:52:10 by Natasha Kerensky »
"Ah, yes.  The belle dame sans merci.  The sweet young thing who will blast your nuts off.  The kitten with a whip.  That mystique?"
"Slavish adherence to formal ritual is a sign that one has nothing better to think about."
"Variety is the spice of battle."
"I've fought in... what... a hundred battles, a thousand battles?  It could be a million as far as I know.  I've fought for anybody who offered a decent contract and a couple who didn't.  And the universe is not much different after all that.  I could go on fighting for another hundred years and it would still look the same."
"I'm in mourning for my life."
"Those who break faith with the Unity shall go down into darkness."

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
Close call.
I decided to be the odd guy and pick the LRM-15 Striker.
Honestly if the standard Striker had 2 tons of LRM ammo
insteadn of SRM ammo I might go for it instead.
If I know the terrain ahead of time and most hidden positions
work better for tracks then I'd pick the Scorpion.
IMHO usually the speed advantage of the Striker can be worth the cost
because you can get a +2 TMM from cruising and a +3 at flank if there's
enough clear  terrain or roads. That extra speed also gives you a better
chance at keeping pursuers out of minimum range.
The amount of ammo means that you keep firing if the to-hit is possible.
The average hits of a 5 point and a 4 point cluster can add up fast in
light unit skirmishes .
The only reason I see to choose the standard Striker is to have a ton of
inferno SRM ammo-which puts me closer then I'd like on wheels.
I've used the LRM-15 Striker a number of times and it's always hit above
it's weight and was just fast enough to survive. It's surprisingly good
against light mechs.
BTW-a similar option might be the LRM Harrasser.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Hovers are even more restricted terrain-wise... it really comes down to where you're fighting.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
It's faster, but the wheels keep it out of the places where you most want to park LRM support.

If you have the luxury of parking your LRM support, you´ll want to get LRM Carriers for maximum LRM support per available parking spot, and minimum BV or C-Bills spent on armor or speed.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Vonshroom

• Warrant Officer
Got to go with the Scorpion for being the cheapest and most economical way to bring the most LRM tubes to the fight, to me the Tracked chassis makes up for the slower speed , I feel like it is the most flexible out of the choices. I am not looking at the tanks capability as an individual fighting vehicle, rather how well it will contribute to my force as a dedicated LRM support platform.

Key word for me being SUPPORT. 
For The Archon!

Elmoth

• Major
  • Periphery fanboy
Striker LRM if you have a mobile battle.
Scorpion LRM if you can park.

I will take the LRM striker. The option to be mobile beats it for me.

Calimehter

• Master Sergeant
I voted for the LRM Scorpion for overall flexibility in terrain, and the split launchers make it easier to utilize specialty ammo while still keeping up the LRM damage from the other launcher.

On larger battlefields and more open terrain, the Striker options do have their advantages.  Despite my vote, I'd not turn up my nose if offered a lance of them. :)

General308

• Captain
Tough choice.

The Scorpion brings more LRM to bear than the standard Striker, and more on a per C-Bill basis than the LRM Striker.

If you want to deal with Quicksell quality that got you that low cbill price

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
This really depends on the unit/role your looking for.

As noted, if your parking your LRMs in light woods then sure the Scorpion works.
But I'd just as soon have LRM Carriers for that role.  (Especially since Quicksell sells them both)

Meanwhile of the Strikers there is no real winner since again, where is the fight & who are they paired with?
City?
Open Terrain?
Rolling Hills?
Light Woods?

If I don't know ahead of time, then, ideally for the Strikers I'd do mixed platoons of 2-LRM, 1 Standard, & 1-SRM so I have the option of a 2nd ton of SRM ammo for Infernos or some other specialty ammo while having a 2nd SRM unit too w/ 8-SRM tubes & 50 total LRM tubes all & much more vehicles than the Scorpion.

3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
Interesting how this pole really turned around.
I think I was the first vote for LRM Striker and now look at it!

Often mobility is life for lighter units.

Register