Author Topic: Has anyone used mine clearence SRMs?  (Read 544 times)

Gorgon

• Warrant Officer
  • The little duchy that could
Has anyone used mine clearence SRMs?
« on: 28 January 2024, 16:46:52 »
I just stumbled upon the fact that mine clearance ammunition is available for SRMs. Somehow, I always thought laying and clearing mines was the exclusive domain for LRM launchers. Did anyone ever use MC SRMs? At first glance, their short range and different damage profile to LRMs make them seem like a sub-optimal delivery system for mine clearance ammo, unless that's all you got.

Thoughts, experience, opinions?
Jude Melancon lives!

AlphaMirage

• Major
Re: Has anyone used mine clearence SRMs?
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2024, 18:31:31 »
Considering you normally spot mines at close range with an Active Probe range is thus not likely a concern.
Recon mechs mounting probes are also typically fairly light and thus more likely to mount SRMs compared to LRMs.
Also MC SRMs are pretty effective against any Battle Armor or Infantry you might run across (like say Fa Shih or Minelaying Infantry) in a minefield which might have been prepared as part of a greater ambush.

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2024, 23:04:58 »
They're fine enough.  You only really have to use mine clearance ammo if you plan on going through that hex (or if you want your opponent to think you're planning to), so unless you're really fast you're going to have a turn to knock those mines away.  Using SRMs for the job allows your LRMs to do other things, so even though on paper a SRM mine-clearer is "better" than a LRM mine-clearer the opportunity costs need to be taken into account.

Gorgon

• Warrant Officer
  • The little duchy that could
« Reply #3 on: 31 January 2024, 11:41:27 »
Ok, yeah, I can see the logic in that. Especially as a dual use ammunition. Thanks guys, I appriciate the insight!
Jude Melancon lives!

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: 07 April 2024, 23:54:52 »
Yes very popular with Pegasus Scout varient I use .  Most have an Active Probe  , 2 SRM Launchers and some kind of med laser .

Register