Taranis
Tengu
Thunderbird
Zou
Shen Long
Gnome
Corona
Cuchulainn
I just want to see the results (Non-participant)

Author Topic: What is your favorite heavy suit? Why?  (Read 1072 times)

Minemech

• Captain
What is your favorite heavy suit? Why?
« on: 24 February 2024, 08:52:28 »
Once upon a time heavy armor was rare. Now it is fundamental. What is your favorite heavy suit? Why? Feel free to also state what you believe to be the best suit. Obviously, I did not mention specific variations as that would be one big poll. Also feel free to talk about aesthetics, as some of these are quite good-looking or menacing suits as well as any other factors that pique your interest. If I missed one, which is likely, feel free to list it and it will be added.

Saint

• Captain
  • Keeper of the Reaper
Re: What is your favorite heavy suit? Why?
« Reply #1 on: 26 February 2024, 10:26:41 »
Mine is the Marauder. I like it's weapons load out, and looks. Although I wonder how it uses it's Mag Clamps to mount a mech or tank lol.

"Our eyes lie on Glory, Honor, Strength. Burned worlds will declare our name as cause."

OatsAndHall

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #2 on: 26 February 2024, 13:42:57 »
I like the Grenadier II as the stealth armor and ability to ride on Omnis make it versatile.

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 26 February 2024, 14:33:52 »
I voted for Grenadier II, but special mention for the old Grenadier H-K, sporting a SRM-5 and Magshot on each suit.  When you run a squad of 4, works out to having an SRM-24 with stealth armor--really fun for anti-mech work/area denial. (Assault BA, I know, out of scope of the OP, just sayin.   :evil:)
« Last Edit: 26 February 2024, 14:44:41 by MarauderD »

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #4 on: 26 February 2024, 15:30:59 »
Mine is the Marauder. I like it's weapons load out, and looks. Although I wonder how it uses it's Mag Clamps to mount a mech or tank lol.

The Marauder, like the same-sized Sloth and bigger Kanazuchi, are battery-powered mini-mechs.  That's what makes them so cool.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #5 on: 27 February 2024, 02:02:35 »
I've never gotten a chance to use it, but I really like the appearance of the Corona.  It's like a mini-Hunchback.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: 29 February 2024, 10:02:29 »
 My favorite suit of all, as well as the one that easily scored my vote was the Phalanx. Developed at a time when the Inner Sphere was truly revolutionizing Battle Armor, it was no exception to this in its role being a mobile heavy support unit rather than an all-star. Its aesthetics are excellent. You can find As, Cs, and Ds in my use for their performance. Everyone wishes the A's SRMs had an extra salvo, but you can only get so much. When it was developed, the Free Worlds League were THE prolific users of advanced stealth tech and that should not change for backbone units like the Phalanx.
« Last Edit: 05 March 2024, 20:36:41 by Minemech »

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #7 on: 29 February 2024, 23:03:03 »
I love the Corona.  It's the ultimate distraction!  Either ignore it for bigger targets and eat up to five Clan medium pulse lasers in a turn, or try to put it down and take fire from the bigger targets teamed up with it  :evil:
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Col Toda

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 01 March 2024, 14:15:47 »
No heavy suit wows me .

Suprised non participant is only 20 percent in this category.

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 01 March 2024, 17:15:15 »
No heavy suit wows me .

Suprised non participant is only 20 percent in this category.
In fairness, there is a caucus that believes that if you are going with a heavy you are better off going with an assault. The reason for that contention is better off laid out in another thread, and I believe has been a few times. I tend to prefer heavies myself. A lot of it comes down to your style, compromises you are willing to make, types of games you play and force design.

Retry

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 01 March 2024, 18:21:39 »
Aren't assaults too heavy to ride 'Mechs?  That seems like a reason to take heavies by itself.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #11 on: 01 March 2024, 19:29:46 »
Yes, assault BA requires vehicles with infantry bays for transportation.  They can't ride outside on mechs or vehicles.  Definitely gives heavy suits more use in offensive operations.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #12 on: 03 March 2024, 01:00:04 »
Definitely the LRM Gnome. That was an easy one for me.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #13 on: 03 March 2024, 10:16:42 »
Had to go with the Marian in me on this one, and pick the Marauder. Love the concept and the firepower.

However, I do also like the Black Wolf, Centaur, Phalanx and the Thinderbird. Big guns, and most have either reactive or improved stealth armor.

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

Minemech

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 04 March 2024, 23:16:43 »
 As this poll has matured, it does appear that the heavy suits are loved with a reasonable spread. Some suits like the Ogre have an uphill battle for being labeled one's personal favorite even if people like having the suit in universe. The Centaur is probably better viewed as a general support unit rather than a proper battle armor unit, so its lack of votes is not surprising. It is no surprise that the demon series suit has no supporters. I would not read too much into the Huntsman's result. There is something a bit neat about a periphery suit scoring first for the moment.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #15 on: 07 March 2024, 22:24:02 »
This was a REALLY hard choice frankly.

The Centaur, Taranis, & Corona are 3 of my favorite suits across ALL BA, not just the Heavy Bracket.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

LastChanceCav

• Captain
  • Repossessing the dispossessed ...
« Reply #16 on: 09 March 2024, 14:51:24 »
Since its been around longer I've used the Phalanx the most. I haven't even played with the Taranis, but I really like the design.

Cheers,
LCC
Last Chance Engineering - Bespoke Battlemechs for the refined gentleperson.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #17 on: 09 March 2024, 22:11:23 »
I haven't even played with the Taranis, but I really like the design.

It's about as close to perfect for an IS Tech Heavy BA Suit as you can get w/o going custom IMHO.  Absolutely love it.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Kerfuffin(925)

• Major
« Reply #18 on: 19 March 2024, 22:55:28 »
Definitely the LRM Gnome. That was an easy one for me.

I think this is the ultimate expression of BA. My favorite in all weights really.
NCKestrel’s new favorite.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #19 on: 20 March 2024, 01:07:32 »
The Ogre, simply because I think it looks cool.

Register