Author Topic: Making trees  (Read 2695 times)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
Making trees
« on: 18 February 2023, 15:27:28 »
Since i recently got into Starwars Legion, i was wondering, for all you btech folk.  DO you know of a cheep way to make "Trees"?  Do any sort of dollar store, sell small ones like i some times see with things like farm animal packs of little toys?
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
Re: Making trees
« Reply #1 on: 18 February 2023, 16:46:25 »
I confess I just bought a big bag of model railroad trees from the hobby shop. Not budget, but got me more than enough for use on a 5'x6' table for Alpha Strike. Still waiting on AS boxes making it to Australia to see how their trees look.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

gunner

• Sergeant
  • Todays a good day to die, YOU FIRST
« Reply #2 on: 18 February 2023, 22:13:54 »
Sorry, don't know of any cheap trees.  Hobby stores sell packs of 6-10 depending on size wanted.  i weigh mine down with a penny under the base.
Long life through fire superiority
IN range  and ON target  M 60 MG

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #4 on: 19 February 2023, 17:46:22 »
This thread has a method for making them out of wire and stuff: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/terrain/knorpelkeks-terrain-for-as/

The trees are in the latter half of the thread.

Failure16

• Captain
  • Better Days
« Reply #5 on: 19 February 2023, 17:56:02 »
The cheapest way, to be blunt, is to buy them in bulk via eBay (for example) and base them on pennies or cardstock as you desire. Just make sure of the heights you are looking for and you will be able to get where you need to be. It is one thing to save money by making them from scratch, but you should properly valuate your time as part of that equation to see what way benefits you most.
Thought I might get a rocket ride when I was a child.          We are the wild youth,                                And through villages of ether
But it was a lie, that I told myself                                          Chasing visions of our futures.                   Oh, my crucifixion comes
When I needed something good.                                         One day we'll reveal the truth,                    Will you sing my hallelujah?
At 17, I had a better dream; now I'm 33, and it isn't me.      That one will die before he gets there.       Will you tell me when it's done?
But I'd think of something better if I could
                           --E. Tonra                                                      --C. Love
--A. Duritz

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #6 on: 19 February 2023, 18:28:01 »
A very good point!  :thumbsup:

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 26 February 2023, 20:04:26 »
I make my own with the following :

#1.Woodland Scenics # TR1120 Tree armatures 3/4" to 2" (Deciduous)

Three are 114 in a bag for around $20 currently . There are (IIRC)
4 different sizes of trees . If you use just the top 2 bigger sizes
you still have around 50 tree stems .

You'll need to glue some type of foliage to those armatures .
From the same company I like :

#2.Clump-Foliage light green .
I use these to represent light woods .

#3.Clump-Foliage medium green .
I use the to represent heavy woods .

I recommend against the DARK foliage because it's
so dark it's almost black . If that's what you want go for it-but
it'll have a lifeless dead forest look.

I just used off the shelf gel super glue and some of my trees have
held up for just over 20 years .

If you want more color -there's a fall foliage mix and you could make lighter colors light woods
and darker colors heavy (Red,yellow,orange,brown). 
These used to be sold 1 color to a bag but now it's a mix. (More economic)

Please notice that the products I suggested are CLUMP foliage .
There are several different types of foliage .

Hairbear541

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: 01 March 2023, 18:07:50 »
if you really want to make realstic looking trees , i would suggest you go on YouTube and watch Luke Towans' tutorials , also check out his Boulder Creek Railroad series there to .

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #9 on: 13 March 2023, 15:07:39 »
You also unfortunately asked the wrong time of year . . . Hobby Lobby and other craft stores put little wire/brush trees- some with snow- for sale really cheap after Christmas . . . sometimes right before Christmas.  I got some of mine that way.  You can also go, at least at Hobby Lobby, when they put fake/plastic plants on sale . . . I got some mixed little frond and pine-cone thing that each snaps off the base and they are the perfect height for BT trees to the mechs.  I am thinking of painting leave/fronds exotic colors for 'alien' trees.

Again, seeking some exotic I ordered some aquarium plants from a big online store.

Smoothedo-Pets Aquarium Plants Fish Tank Decorations 20pcs Small Size/1inch Tall Plastic Artificial Plant Goldfish Waterscape Fish Hides Mini Grass Set (Purple)

Smoothedo-Pets Aquarium Plants Fish Tank Decorations 20pcs Small Size/1inch Tall Plastic Artificial Plant Goldfish Waterscape Fish Hides Mini Grass Set (Green-C)

Eachof the above cost me about $.40 a plant when I bought them a little under a year and a half ago, and b/c of the round black heavy plastic they serve as excellent weights on green hexes used to denote the actual wood hexes which is different than the model railroad trees that are 'top' heavy.  The purple is pretty vibrant so it pops on the map the few times I have used one.  I painted the black green and I thought about flocking it but that would make it look different than the green plastic portion.  I have thought about spraying it with adhesive and then dumping flocking on it to get a 'fuzzy' tree as well, like some of the trees carefully trimmed to keep their branches close.  Also snagged a grass square 'lawn' which I will detach from the mat to add to the trees.

BUT . . . realize that across the world there have been some really interesting things done with shrubbery that could give your table some variety AND help stabilize trees.

This tree follows a older English fashion of tying down, or 'grounding' trees, the first two are from Castle Malahide, the other is one I found for examples.  It basically gives you green from the tree from ground to crown though the 2nd photo shows they did not keep up with that sort of tree and it is different than the oak.  You COULD make 1 hex of impassible terrain with branches over and touching the ground, a 'mech tunnel' in the greenery of the forest . . . always wondered what a firefight among sequoias would look like on the table.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #10 on: 13 March 2023, 17:43:49 »
Kind of like Inazuma (or whatever the Solaris arena with all the pillars is called)? ???

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #11 on: 13 March 2023, 23:02:53 »
What of buildings some folks use for their mini's games, where they look like printed hard card stock, that they cut out and put together?  Anyone seen them for cheep??
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #12 on: 14 March 2023, 08:51:51 »
Pretty sure this sub-forum has a stickied link for that sort of thing . . . or actually on the other sub-forum w/o minis.

Dropzone Commander offers their buildings- or did- as PDFs for free, you just have to go somewhere to get them printed.

Daryk . . . yeah, a fight among redwoods would sort of be like that IMO, except you would not have the worry about jumping and ramming your head into the cavern's roof.  And you could do some other crazier things making it like Kashhyyk (or whatever the Wookie homeworld spelling is) where some light jumping 10+ could land on a branch . . . as far as the grounded trees, a center hex you could not walk through (the trunk) and then the 6 hexes around it LOS interfered by light woods though only the walking penalty to move out of those 6 surrounding hexes.
« Last Edit: 14 March 2023, 08:56:21 by Colt Ward »
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #13 on: 14 March 2023, 17:28:10 »
Colt: I totally agree with that game implementation!  :thumbsup:

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #14 on: 31 March 2023, 08:07:45 »
What of buildings some folks use for their mini's games, where they look like printed hard card stock, that they cut out and put together?  Anyone seen them for cheep??

Have a look in the Gaming Terrain forum. There's a sticky link there.
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #15 on: 31 March 2023, 09:07:23 »
I bought my Trees bulk on Amazon, and something like the following (can't find the set I bought a few years back). The set came in trees of two distinct colors which is great, light color trees for Light Woods, Dark Trees for Heavy Woods. Glued to circular magnets (weak, not the rare earth stronger than heck magnets), and then a based hex for placing on the table, to allow the tree to be removed when a unit enters the woods.

https://www.amazon.ca/YIJU-30pcs-Model-Tree-Trees/dp/B092VCZ7PP/ref=sr_1_128?crid=2KNFNUEF1JPG8&keywords=model+railway+trees&qid=1680271272&sprefix=model+railway+trees%2Caps%2C148&sr=8-128
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #16 on: 17 May 2023, 15:51:18 »
B1BFlyer did a video on the CSO channel about making trees about 5 years ago. Well worth the watch. The final result can be seen around the 18 minute mark. Very simple to do. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb7YafDhPc8

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: 10 September 2023, 11:38:00 »
If you're making trees for a Star Wars game, you want exotic and alien-looking trees.

Register